Start by marking “The Deryni Archives” as Want to Read:
The Deryni Archives

The Deryni Archives (Deryni)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  1,376 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
There have been many events in the past 230 years of the half-magical race of the Deryni that were too short to turn into novels. Katherine Kurtz has been writing these when not occupied with longer works, and they are now collected here. Some have appeared in books and other sources now hard to locate. More than half of the fiction is new -- including a major story of how ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 230 pages
Published August 1986 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Deryni Archives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Deryni Archives

The Orb of Truth by Brae WyckoffHouse of Blades by Will WightThe Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia A. McKillipThe Bone Doll's Twin by Lynn FlewellingThe Scourge by Roberto Calas
Best Fantasy Books Under the Radar
244th out of 1,428 books — 1,755 voters
The Sacred Band by Janet E. MorrisThe Complete Chronicles of Conan by Robert E. HowardElric of Melniboné by Michael MoorcockSwords and Deviltry by Fritz LeiberThe Fish the Fighters and the Song-Girl by Janet E. Morris
Sword and Sorcery
330th out of 468 books — 332 voters

More lists with this book...

Sverre
This book contains a few good short stories which according to the timeline chronology ends with Alaric Morgan's youth. Two of the stories mesh with accounts in the newly published 'The King's Deryni' providing more details and color to those events. The last third of the book provide historical resumés of up-till-then published books. For anyone who has not read the first published--but chronologically in-the-middle--trilogy 'The Chronicles of the Deryni' I would advise avoiding this part of ...more
carl
Mar 20, 2012 carl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
A nice collection of tales compiled and centered in Kurtz's world of the Deryni. The milieu is western Europe in the middle ages. Except, miracles do happen, but they happen for an altogether different reason than one might think. The Deryni are an offshoot of the species that has varied psychic or psionic powers. Persecuted by the Church and Society at large, they remain underground continuing to assist those they love in the 'regular' world as well as keep themselves and their abilities alive.
Carol Gibson
Dec 25, 2015 Carol Gibson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf-and-fantasy
This is a collection of short stories written by the author set in her Deryni series. There are several that are just outstanding in filling out character's back stories. My tow favorite are The Knighting of Derry which tells how he comes to be in the service f Alric and the Priesting of Arilan which tells how he became the first Deryni priest in 200 years.

This is a must read for any fans of the Deryni series but I would not recommend it as first read if you have not read the series.
Caryn
May 14, 2011 Caryn rated it really liked it
This was the first Deryni book I read, and I think it's a good introduction to the series. It gives a few spoilers (like, this person is still alive at a later time than in one of the books, and that sort of thing), but it's hard to have a general introduction without that. I enjoyed it, and went on to enjoy the series.
Sheila
May 19, 2014 Sheila added it
Shelves: reread2014
I'm not sure why this is the only Deryni book I still have. I'm not entirely moved to go read them all again (have you seen my to-read list?) but this was like getting a holiday letter from some friends I hadn't seen in years. (Rhys. *sigh*)
Kristine
Feb 27, 2009 Kristine rated it really liked it
Definitely for fantasy fans. A friend of mine lent me this book to introduce me to Kurtz' Deryni books. It is a collection of short stories spanning different parts of the Deryni history. Really piqued my interest in reading the full-length books themselves.
Kelly
May 24, 2015 Kelly rated it liked it
The problem with short stories is that you really get into the story and it's over. Didn't realize that almost half of this book is appendices. Great for super fans I guess, but I would have liked more stories.
Jessica
Feb 15, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it
For die-hard fans, here is some short fiction set in the world of the Deryni, as well as some more techincal information about the world.
Lisa H.
Lisa H. rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2011
Thomas P
Thomas P rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Terri Palmer
Terri Palmer rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Brick Hardslab
Brick Hardslab rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Shawn
Shawn rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2012
James Thompson
James Thompson rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2013
Daralyn Wallace
Daralyn Wallace rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2015
Delaina
Delaina rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2011
Charissa
Charissa rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2007
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2012
Yolanda
Yolanda rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2010
Russ Bates
Russ Bates rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Stephen J. Angers
Stephen J. Angers rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Nerio Kravos
Nerio Kravos rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2008
Jim Gilbert
Jim Gilbert rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2016
Phil Mcmanus
Phil Mcmanus rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2012
Denise Masters
Denise Masters rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2010
Cooper Schmidt
Cooper Schmidt rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2013
Christoph Herrchen
Christoph Herrchen rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2010
Teresa Fanjul
Teresa Fanjul rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2012
  • Shadows of Sanctuary (Thieves' World, #3)
  • Rebels In Hell (Heroes in Hell, #3)
  • Flashing Swords! #4: Barbarians and Black Magicians
  • Dog Wizard (Windrose Chronicles, #3)
  • Ars Magica
  • The Best of Marion Zimmer Bradley Fantasy Magazine Volume 2
  • The Gates of Hell (Heroes in Hell, #2)
  • The Wizard and the Warlord
  • The Third Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #3)
  • Daughter of Regals and Other Tales
  • The Crystal Palace (The Book of Elementals, #2)
  • A Trio for Lute
  • Ancient, My Enemy
  • The River of Dancing Gods (Dancing Gods #1)
  • Iced on Aran
19475
Katherine Kurtz is American fantasy novel writer. She is most known for her Deryni series. She currently lives in Virginia.
More about Katherine Kurtz...

Deryni (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Deryni Rising (The Chronicles of the Deryni #1)
  • Deryni Checkmate (The Chronicles of the Deryni, #2)
  • High Deryni (The Chronicles of the Deryni #3)
  • Camber of Culdi (The Legends of Camber of Culdi, #1)
  • Saint Camber (The Legends of Camber of Culdi, #2)
  • Camber the Heretic (The Legends of the Camber of Culdi, #3)
  • The Bishop's Heir (Histories of King Kelson, #1)
  • The King's Justice (The Histories of King Kelson, #2)
  • The Quest for Saint Camber (The Histories of King Kelson, #3)
  • The Harrowing of Gwynedd (The Heirs of Saint Camber #1)