Start by marking “Me and My Ghoulfriends (Larue Donavan, #1)” as Want to Read:
Me and My Ghoulfriends (Larue Donavan, #1)

Me and My Ghoulfriends (Larue Donavan #1)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  1,274 ratings  ·  159 reviews
There's always fun to be had on a ghoul's night out. By day, Larue Donavan is a down-to-earth bookstore owner. But by night, she's a world-renowned psychic investigator dedicated to helping lost spirits find peace. Dead people won't leave her alone and Abraham Lincoln thinks he's in charge of her lovelife. Larue can handle ghosts and undead presidents. It's the living that ...more
Published October 6th 2008 by Magical Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Me and My Ghoulfriends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me and My Ghoulfriends

☺Trish
The story took awhile to get moving, but as this is the first book in the Larue Donavan series, that's okay with me. The characters are likeable and funny, especially the main character - bookshop owner and ghost hunter - Larue Donavan and I never mind when the "villain" is over-the-top "bad", as Brianna is, the mean & conniving sort of person that readers love to hate (and we also cheer when those baddies get their just desserts).
I look forward to more in-depth character development, more s
Kimberly
There were a few things that made this novel stand out. The supporting characters are strong, particularly Mindy, the best friend character. Friendship is an important theme here, and almost every scene focuses on the bonds between Larue and her friends, both ghostly and human. And in a genre where friendship is frequently pushed to the side, that makes Me and My Ghoulfriends something special, particularly if you enjoy a lighter chick lit feel.

But there are still too many weaknesses here for me
Destiny
Me and My Ghoulfriends was a wonderfully entertaining read! Main character, Larue, runs a bookstore, but she can also see ghosts and assist them in crossing over. This creates a hilarious backdrop as dead President Abraham Lincoln, amongst others, emerges as one of her matchmakers for her currently non-existent love life.

Soon things pick up when a new coffee shop opens up next to her store and as Larue (and her tag-along "ghoulfriends") begin dating the coffee shop owner, Callahan. Larue encount
April
This was a very interesting read. I would also like to say it highlights my point about finding the right narrator for the audiobook. This book has some dialogue that can seem juvenile if not presented properly. The narration was performed in a mature manner and helped elevate the book. I read another series with similar dialogue but with a very youthful narrator, that was unsuccessful all around. This is why it is crucial to have the right combination of story and read for the audio. It really ...more
Adriane
So this might be a hard review, I had a lot of conflicting emotions during this book. The beginning was difficult to get into, I had a lot of trouble with the writing style. I'm not a writer, I do visual stuff, so I guess I can't be too picky, but I do know what styles draw me in and which keep me out and why. For this one the style was a bit pedestrian and she used the word "glare" like every 5 seconds when referring to the character of Brianna. So like 90% of the book I was sighing over and ju ...more
TW Brown
One of my guilty pleasures are the books of Kim Harrison, Charlaine Harris, H.P. Mallory, and a few others. As a guy, I realize that I am not exactly the target demographic for these authors, but we all have our weaknesses. Me and My Ghoulfriends by Rose Pressey caught my eye and I decided to give it a whirl.

The story is fun, engaging, and reads clean (bravo to the editor!). Those are all positives. This obviously serves as the intor to the series so it is important to lay out some character tra
Roberta
This is the first in the Larue Donovan series. Larue is a bookstore owner and also at night she is a psychic investigator. She has several ghosts who are always with her, one being Abraham Lincoln. Yes that Abe.

Larue meets the new guy in town (Callahan Weiss) and he is the coffee/pastry shop owner. he really is starting to like Laure and unfortunately is put under a spell by another woman, who happen to be a witch. So starts the hunt for Larue to figure out what is going on.

I will be ordering th
Caity
I wish I could have liked this book, its summary had everything in a book that I like, but I really didn't.

It wasn't memorable at all, and for everything that happens in the book, I feel like nothing really happened at all. Like most of the book wasn't spent sitting around thinking 'oh too bad, I guess I'll just go about my normal life.' Most of the excitement happens at the very end and kind of makes me want to read the next one, but I won't bother since the middle part was so dull.

I like the m
Mindy (Naughty Book Snitch)
First I don’t understand why this is listed under “romance” because there were only 2 kisses in the entire book and only one of them was good until the phone rang. In my personal opinion I do not consider that to be romance. Second, this story could have been so much better. I felt it was all over the place and I kept wondering where it was going. I was interested at first but it just fell flat and it never went anywhere. All of Larue’s friends were more interesting to read about. I wanted Larue ...more
Manuela
I read it because it was part of a challenge. I usually can't handle that type of character, a woman with paranormal traits who thinks too much, has self-esteem problems. She deals in helping ghosts to cross over but can't deal with an overpushy friend of hers who puts her in situations she neither wants to be in nor feels comfortable doing. I liked her dealing with the ghosts but the way she dealt with problems was weird. How could you not miss the life threatening things that happened to her a ...more
Tasha
The story was cute but should only have been 100 or so pages, not 300+. At least half of the book was made up of the protagonist retelling the events of the previous five paragraphs to her best friend.
And were the mean comments from the "heroine" really necessary? Here I'm referring to the scene with the "chubby waitress" who, according to inner monologue, looks like she enjoys the restaurant's food a little too much, and is probably only smiling because she wants eat their meals.
I'm hoping thi
Sharon Tyler
Me and My Ghoulfriends is the first book in the Larue Donavan series by Rose Pressey. Larue Donavan is a bookstore owner with a secret. On her nights and weekends she often moolights as a ghost hunter, and more often than not she brings her work home with her. Dead people just won't leave her alone and Abraham Lincoln thinks he's in charge of her lovelife. Larue can handle ghosts and undead presidents, it's dealing with the living that is driving her crazy. The handsome Callahan Weiss moves to t ...more
Lorre
I got Me and My Ghoulfriends as a kindle freebie a while ago. I already like Pressey's Rylie Cruz series and I really wanted to read more from her.

This book has the same fresh, cute style that I know and love about the author.
I really loved Larue, it was funny to read about her "gang" of ghosts hanging around all the time and giving remarks on everything she does. Yep, her own peanut gallery 24/7!

But apparently it's not only her ghosts meddling in Larue's life...
Dakota
1.5 stars. sigh I went into this book because the premise sounded interesting. I like ghost hunter type books but Im sorry to say I found this book lacking. I didnt hate it hence the plus .5 but it could have been so much better. For one this reads very juvenile more like a YA high school story than the twenty something old character. The character claims to have seeing ghosts since she was young but cant seem to deal with them very well. The blurb of the book describes a mostly supernatural plo ...more
Shakera
I have to point out that I got this as a free kindle book. So with that being said... I thought it was cute and witty. It wasn't really a thought provoking kind of book if that's what you're looking for. It's strictly for light reading. There were times where the flow of the book was a bit slow for me. It also didn't help that it took the last few chapters for everything to come to a head. The ending was a bit anti-climatic for me. However, Mindy was my favorite! She was down for anything to hel ...more
Megan
Very cute light read. I bought it b/c it was .99 on Amazon and pretty well reviewed. While it is nothing ground breaking, the characters are cute and situations funny. It is a quick read that won't stick with you but passes a couple of hours well enough.

Nanci de Suffren
The writing was more the calibre of a high school student than an established author. The story was dragged out and the descriptive vocabulary was uncomfortably mediocre. If the characters had all been high school teenagers this might have worked.
Kylie
I actually read this book after reading book 2 in the Larue Donavan series. Although my memory of book 2 was dim, I do remember enjoying it. My hopes for book 1 were high.

Me and My Ghoulfriends was okay. I'm glad I read book 2 first, as I'm not sure I would have continued with the series if I had read them in order.

Me and My Ghoulfriends introduces Larue and her quirky talent of seeing and communicating with ghosts. She attracts goat to her, and spends this book hanging out with Abe Lincoln.

A
Rece
I enjoyed this...let me explain though...this book was free for kindles on Amazon. Having pointed that out, for a free read, I enjoyed this. It was fun, light reading. Mindy, Larue's best friend is a hoot. And Abe Lincoln was awesome. The downers though, Callahan and Larue didn't have much interaction (but the little interaction they did have was awesome) and the ending was a bit anticlimactic. I expected a little more, then I realized that I got the book for free. So if you're interested in som ...more
Jessica Cowgill
couldn't put it down and when I did I kept thinking about it..LOL. great book!
Trish
I just felt like having a light and easy read and that's exactly what I got.

The story started off alright but, in my opinion, went down hill fast. The inner dialogue of Larue was like reading that of a teenager and constantly reading her love interest described as Mr. Yummy got old pretty quick.

The plot was pretty self evident from the beginning and there were no surprises. Everything was plain vanilla and predictable.

I admit I do like reading 'paranormal romance' occasionally but this wasn't
Nikki Wilde
I was so excited about this book until I started reading. At about 27% I was getting so frustrated. Finally, just wanted to finish it I was skipping paragraphs and sometimes pages. It didn't seem to matter because if I'd leave off on them discussing lunch I'd pick up three pages later on them finally eating lunch. I was so bored. Even skipping pages was tedious and annoying. I really really dislike writing unfavorable things but I was so annoyed.

I didn't care what happened to Larue or Callahan.
Cheryl Landmark
Actual rating 3.5

Overall, this was a fun, enjoyable read with a lot of humour and a lot of emphasis on Larue's friendship with her best friend Mindy and her ghostly entourage. Mindy was a great character and the interaction between her and Larue provided some laugh-out-loud funny moments, particularly when Mindy persuaded a reluctant Larue to attend a couple of her pole fitness classes.

It took a while for the story to get going. The first two-thirds of the book spent a lot of time dwelling on La
Annette M Guerriero Nishimoto
Today's review is on Me and My Ghoulfriends by Rose Pressey

As you will see, I have read Me and My Ghoulfriends after I have read Ghouls Night Out. This of course is the wrong order, but none the less entertaining. I must say however, I liked Ghouls Night Out a bit more. If I had read them in the correct order I would have found some things a bit repetitive, but that's what made the second book a good stand alone book to begin with.

In Me and My Ghoulfriends, we are introduced to Larue Donavan. A
Mad about
In Me and my Ghoulfriends we meet Larue, small business owner who's unlucky in love...and a ghost hunter without the cool suits and catchy song.

In her town you either run your own business or work as a number in someone elses so when her grandparents wanted to shut their bookstore she combined her love of reading with a new business venture and Book Nook was under new management.

Life was the same day in day out. She loved her shop but everyone needs something more and after some disasterous date
Candace Wynell McHann
Oh wait…was there really a plot to this book? Wait…oh! There it is…I think…

So I know that first little line is dripping with snarky sassiness, but let me say that this is story was not bad. But it wasn’t fantastic. It was well, mediocre. I would prefer leaning towards either end of the scale in determining if this book was good or bad. But the scales of my book review justice did not want to tip in either direction.

The thing that drove me a little bonkers about this book was that this girl reall
Michelle Leah Olson
Me and my Ghoulfriends – Larue Donavan series Book #1
Author: Rose Pressey

Synopsis:
There's always fun to be had on a ghoul's night out.
Larue can handle ghosts and undead presidents. It's the living that drive her crazy. When Callahan Weiss moves
Noninuna
Before i start saying harsh things about the book, i have to remind myself, there is a reason why my bookshelf doesn't has paranormal book at all. It's just not my cup of tea. or may be i haven't found the one that i like yet.
i found the book, despite being a paranormal one, kept going on & on about romance between Larue & Callahan and the clash between Larue & Brianna. At one point, i felt lost. i thought i had the idea of what to expect but didn't know where was the book leading m
Lorraine Sears
A really cute story about paranormal goings on in the seemingly normal town of Magnolia, Kentucky.

Larue has always been able to speak to the dead. Lost spirits who have yet to go to the light. And she's been lucky enough to meet some interesting old souls along the way, including President Abraham Lincoln, who's taken quite a shine to her and doesn't seem interested in moving on just yet.

Running her bookshop by day and spending most weekends on some kind of ghost hunt or another Larue, along w
Pia Veleno
Mar 04, 2013 Pia Veleno marked it as nfm
Shelves: source-amzn
This is not my usual read... by far. I rarely read chick lit, and this one happened to be accidental. I was skimming the freebie list somewhere and saw ghosts in the blurb.

The story moves very slowly and doesn't seem to have a concrete theme or direction. At first I'd say maybe romance, but no, not really. At the halfway point, we still don't know any more about the male character other than he likes coffee, pastries, and working out. So then I might've said it was a fluffy ghost story, but no,
Romance Blogger E...: Rose Pressey interview & giveaway. 1 3 Aug 09, 2011 03:38PM
  • Somebody tell Aunt Tillie She's Dead (ToadWitch, #1)
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
  • A Tale of Two Goblins (Dulcie O'Neil, #2)
  • White Witch (Coven, #1)
  • Ghost College (The Ghost Files, #1)
  • How (Not) to Kiss a Prince (Cindy Eller, #2)
  • Ordinary Angels
  • 50 Ways to Hex Your Lover (Hex, #1)
  • Haunted on Bourbon Street
  • Strange Neighbors (Strange Neighbors, #1)
  • Witch Way (Magical Holiday Tales, #1)
  • Hacienda Moon (PathSeekers, #1)
  • Honor Bound (The Witchblade Chronicles #1)
  • Mark of the Witch (Boston Witches, #1)
  • Pretty Witches All in a Row
  • Demon Hunter and Baby (Aisling McKay, #1)
  • A Gift of Ghosts (Tassamara #1)
Forever Charmed available now!

Rock 'n' Roll is Undead, No Shoes, No Shirt, No Spells, How to Date a Werewolf, and Me and My Ghoulfriends are available on Kindle, Nook, and Smashwords. Only 99 cents.

Rose Pressey enjoys writing quirky and fun novels with a paranormal twist. The paranormal has always captured her interest. The thought of finding answers to the unexplained fascinates her.

When she's n
More about Rose Pressey...
How to Date a Werewolf (Rylie Cruz, #1) No Shoes, No Shirt, No Spells (Mystic Cafe, #1) Forever Charmed (Halloween Laveau, #1) Ghouls Night Out (Larue Donavan, #2) Rock 'n' Roll is Undead (Veronica Mason, #1)