Start by marking “Innocents Lost: When Child Soldiers Go To War” as Want to Read:
Innocents Lost: When Child Soldiers Go To War

Innocents Lost: When Child Soldiers Go To War

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Ida, a member of Sri Lanka’s Female Tamil Tigers, fought with one of the longest-surviving and successful guerilla movements in the world. She is sixteen. Francois, a fourteen-year-old Rwandan child of mixed ethnicity, was forced by Hutu militiamen to hack to death his sister’s Tutsi children.More than 250,000 children have fought in three dozen conflicts around the world, ...more
Published July 6th 2005 by Basic Books (first published June 14th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Innocents Lost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Innocents Lost

Stay Alive, My Son by Pin YathayA Long Way Gone by Ishmael BeahWar Child by Emmanuel JalFirst They Killed My Father by Loung UngI See You by Frantiska Oliver
Child Rights
33rd out of 44 books — 37 voters
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca SklootAll the President's Men by Carl BernsteinThe Killing Fields by Sydney SchanbergWe Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Ou... by Philip GourevitchThe Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein
Best Books by Journalists
76th out of 97 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

Dave
Having studied and written about the horrors of child warfare myself in Heart of Diamonds, I appreciate the way Jimmie Briggs helps us understand this terrible phenomenon. Using children as soldiers is not a modern innovation, but he shows how it has evolved in an age of light, cheap weapons and insidious guerrilla warfare.

The greatest strength of Innocents Lost is the way personal stories of children pressed into war are put into the context of the larger conflicts in which they fight. Briggs
Jenn
This is a heartbreaking book. It is very enlightening and really gives you a taste of the atrocities that many of these children must face in order to survive. I have recommended this book to other people.
Courtney Ali
This book was good but it was not what I was expecting. I thought it would be a bit more in depth. It would be hard to categorize because it is not in depth enough to be considered scholarly or even investigative reporting but it is not light reading either. While it was short, it was very informative. I learned a lot about the conflicts in Colombia and Sri Lanka. He was able to make these very confusing conflicts (esp. Colombia) understandable.
Sarah Eisele
A disturbing book because it discusses the horrible atrocities young people can perpetrate when abused, brainwashed, and exploited. Written by a jouranlist, who got himself in some seriously risky situations in order to portray how these children become involved with militias, what happens while they're there, how they escape, and what is available for them to help them recover (very little!).
Caylin
although clearly written like an expose/extended news article, it is a very intense, enlightening, beautiful and well-written work. at times you will feel like your there, and it can feel very troublesome. i saw jimmie briggs speak a couple years ago and got to meet him, and he is very engaging and kind.
Julia
A truly wonderful overview of the use of child soldiers in 5 different countries. The writer adds both a well-researched background and a personal touch to his observations and interviews of individuals involved in these conflicts. Very well written and informative.
Heidi
meh.

I felt like the author was caulky through his voice. I loved the book as reference to topics that I wanted to google/wiki/whatevs though. Sometimes it seems hard to find things happening on the global scale while weeding through the news.
Malena
This book taught me a lot about the sad, harsh realities of young children being forced to go to war. The author, who is a journalist, tells the stories of children in Rwanda, Colombia, Sri Lanka, Uganda and Afghanistan.
Ruth
Heart breaking book! Its such a tragedy that children in Rwanda, Sri Lanka, Uganda are being used as child soldiers. I actually met Jimmie Briggs at a conference in Washington D.C. and he's a very nice person.
Will
Skimmed it - not very informative, more a story of the author than a book on child soldiers
Eric
Disturbing book about how corrupt governments and cults take advantage of the children. It also opens the perspective of the continent of Africa and the wars..
Emily Whelchel
Emily Whelchel is currently reading it
May 25, 2015
Zohra Almagri
Zohra Almagri marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Maryc
Maryc marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Sydney
Sydney marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Yana D.
Yana D. marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Books4life12
Books4life12 marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014