Start by marking “Freddy and the Perilous Adventure” as Want to Read:
Freddy and the Perilous Adventure

Freddy and the Perilous Adventure (Freddy the Pig #9)

The Fourth of July is no day for danger but that's just what's in store for the Bean Farm gang in Freddy and the Perilous Adventure. It all seemed so strange and exciting at first: Emma and Alice, Bean Farm's favorite ducks, and the intrepid Freddy, off for a glorious balloon ride to celebrate the nation's birthday. Of course, if Freddy and Emma and Alice and the other den ...more
Published October 29th 2001 by The Overlook Press (first published March 12th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Freddy and the Perilous Adventure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freddy and the Perilous Adventure

Shadowdenizen
Jul 07, 2016 Shadowdenizen rated it really liked it
As anyone who reads my feed knows, this is one of my favorite book series as a kid.

Reading these is like bringing back a portion of my childhood, and I have yet to find a book in the series that doesn't hold up to my re-reading.

I'll be sad when I've run thru the entire line, but I still have a ways to go yet!
Vgathright
Sep 29, 2010 Vgathright rated it it was amazing
I can't believe I'd never heard of this series!!I happened to stumble upon it while browsing through my local library and was enchanted! The writing was humorous enough to keep me laughing, and interesting enough to keep my 6-year-old begging me to read more. Well-crafted words, interesting plot lines, humorous and true-to-life character sketches. With 25 more books in the series, Freddy will be entertaining us for years to come!
Mandolin
Jun 21, 2012 Mandolin rated it it was amazing
Freddy, that daring and poetic pig, is back again to face his biggest challenge yet: becoming the first pig to ever give a speech and then ascend high over the heads of his audience in a hot air balloon, accompanied by two duck friends, Alice and Emma, and the spidery Mr. and Mrs. Webb. Freddy regrets that his previous endeavors have given him a reputation for bravery when he thinks of the adventure that lies ahead, but he faces it with courage (after failing to convince someone else to take his ...more
Lauren
Oct 02, 2011 Lauren rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-aloud
Compared to the last two Freddy books I read aloud to Noah, this one was just so-so (despite the terrific cover illustration---I tend to judge books by their covers). "Uncle Wesley" the duck was a rather tiresome character and Noah glazed over when the author described him at length. Also, I found myself interpreting passages for Noah more than before so that he would understand what was taking place.

Now I am really wanting to read him some books with humans as the main characters. If you have a
Travis
Sep 14, 2012 Travis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
One of my favorite of the Freddy books.

Visiting a county fair to give a speech ( he's a talking pig after all) Freddy and a pair of duck sisters get caught in an out of control balloon. They then have to figure out how to get down, how to get back when they have no idea where they've landed and how to stay out of trouble when they are accused of stealing the balloon.

Fun little adventure from a great, and mostly forgotten, series.

Shame nobody ever bought the cartoon rights to Freddy.
Scooping it Up
Nov 28, 2014 Scooping it Up rated it really liked it
These gems from the 30s totally escaped my notice as a child and a thoughtful librarian pointed out to us these "Freddy the Pig" books as good early novels alongside Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, etc, and she was right. Funny and silly and fantastical, my kids ages 4-14 all laugh at the situations this pig and his friends get themselves into in this novel. I am sure we will read another one in the series now that Freddy is on our radar.
Alida
Jan 15, 2013 Alida rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, skype
We started this book on SKYPE and then finished it while we were visiting in Brazil. The grandkids and I really enjoyed it. Lots of things to discuss; how to treat each other, what constitutes real bravery, and the importance of honesty and loyalty.

On to the next Freddy book.
Serena
May 03, 2013 Serena rated it liked it
Shelves: animals
My Rating System:
Dwight
Dwight rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2013
Justin
Justin rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2015
Homeschool
Homeschool rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2014
Guy Cabell
Guy Cabell rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2016
Zoë
Zoë rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2013
Riley
Riley rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2012
Morgan Johnson
Morgan Johnson rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2014
Bethany
Bethany rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2008
James
James rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2015
Liobhan
Liobhan rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2010
Nene31
Nene31 rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2008
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2011
Vince
Vince rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2011
Eric Pazdziora
Eric Pazdziora rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2013
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2013
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2011
Courtney
Courtney rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2016
Ethan Clark
Ethan Clark rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2012
Richard Curry
Richard Curry rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2011
Kelsi
Kelsi rated it did not like it
Aug 05, 2008
Kyler Walker
Kyler Walker rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2010
Mar 03, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Yeah for Freddy the Pig!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Walter R. Brooks (January 9, 1886 –
August 17, 1958) was an American writer best remembered for his short stories and children's books, particularly those about Freddy the Pig and other anthropomorphic animal inhabitants of the "Bean farm" in upstate New York.

Born in Rome, New York, Brooks attended college at the University of Rochester and subsequently studied homeopathic medicine in New York City
More about Walter R. Brooks...

Freddy the Pig (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Freddy Goes to Florida
  • Freddy Goes to the North Pole
  • Freddy the Detective
  • The Story of Freginald
  • The Clockwork Twin (Freddy Books)
  • Freddy the Politician