Start by marking “Time Storm” as Want to Read:

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  850 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
"A masterful science fiction story told by a masterful science fiction writer".--Milwaukee Journal. A time storm has devastated the Earth, and only a small fraction of humankind remains. From the rubble, three survivors form an unlikely alliance: a young man, a young woman, and a leopard.
Published December 1st 1992 by Baen (first published January 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Time Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time Storm

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerOutlander by Diana GabaldonThe Time Machine by H.G. Wells11/22/63 by Stephen KingTimeline by Michael Crichton
Best Time Travel Fiction
279th out of 1,206 books — 3,891 voters
Grass by Sheri S. TepperParable of the Sower by Octavia E. ButlerThe Adventures of the Stainless Steel Rat by Harry HarrisonThe Anubis Gates by Tim PowersBlood Music by Greg Bear
Most Under-rated Science Fiction
376th out of 1,124 books — 1,313 voters

More lists with this book...

Otherwyrld
Apr 11, 2015 Otherwyrld rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Ubik
Aug 14, 2012 Ubik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites that will have a place on my shelf for years to come. The main character, the leopard, the avatar, and the scientist were all very vibrant and fleshed-out. Of course I absolutely fell in love with Sunday! Even well after having read the book, I still think of him and smile. Though Ive yet to read anything else by this author, I tend to think that he wasnt to adept at capturing females because the two main females in the novel were my least favorite facets of it.

The pacing wa
Chris Bensen
Jul 13, 2013 Chris Bensen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very odd story that sticks with you for decades after reading it, about survival after a post-apocalyptic time storm leaving walls of time across the planet.
Raymund Eich
Sep 01, 2012 Raymund Eich rated it really liked it
Reading Dickson feels a lot like reading Poul Anderson. Time Storm features competent prose, and Dickson does a great job of increasing the novel's scope, from survival adventure, to rebuilding of civilization, to deep philosophy, to galactic scale. The deep philosophy section, where the narrator is in a depressive state, is slow, but has enough tension to keep the reader's interest. In high school, I checked this book out of the library about twice every year, so clearly it struck a chord in my ...more
Jay
Jul 28, 2008 Jay rated it really liked it
I think this would make an excellent movie. In my opinion Gordon R Dickinson wasn't considered a top SF author among the greats, did decent work but perhaps not among the 'best' - until he 'broke out' and wrote Time Storm. Sometime I will have to re-read this and see if I can recover some of the feelings I got reading this book. I admired him for the one or two places where he didn't pull his punches on plot issues. I really enjoyed the adventure aspect of it, not only would make a great movie b ...more
George
Aug 31, 2011 George rated it it was ok
Do you like this sentence?

"Within the fixed boundary lines of the stabilized force lines set up to be used for cross-space transportation, the time storm had gone on in its normal pattern of developing and spreading temporal disintegration, until about three thousand years ago, when there began to be evidence of periodic checking of areas threatening to set off large-scale disturbances throughout the general, galaxy-wide pattern."

Yes? Then you will love this book.
Helga Ganguly
Jun 29, 2011 Helga Ganguly rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, It made me want to go back and read Job,a Comedy of Justice by Heinlein,an all-time favorite of mine. I thought the concept was fresh. We've seen a lot of apocalypse stories but they usually revolve around the primitive society rebuilding itself. Time Storm leaves very few people alive and the main character and his mind are the real battleground.
Denise K.
Jul 24, 2013 Denise K. rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books. I read it many years ago, when I first started reading Sci-fi. I want to 're- read it to see if it is as good as I remember. I remember staying up at night, not being able to stop reading it.
Damon
Sep 11, 2015 Damon rated it really liked it
"My hunt had been nothing more than the human search for love. Only I had been afraid of finding it even while I was pursuing it. So I had made sure to create masks for all those I encountered, so that if I became attached to any of them, my attachment would be to the mask and not to the real being behind it. That way, if the person betrayed me, it did not matter, because I had never really known them anyway. There was no way the living person behind the mask could sink emotional hooks into my s ...more
CD
Mar 20, 2009 CD rated it really liked it
A simple tale that is one of my favorite re-read SF books.
Jody Kidney
Dec 06, 2008 Jody Kidney rated it it was amazing
My favorite SF novel, ever.
Jim Razinha
Jan 22, 2015 Jim Razinha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great storytelling, great story. I wish I had my copy, but borrowing from the Open Library was nearly as good. I wasn't fond of reading it through their online interface, but I've worked out the kinks with downloading to my iPad and was able to get my next nostalgia entry (an early Andre Norton novel...)
Bill P
Jul 29, 2014 Bill P rated it really liked it
Read it by chance years ago and still think of it often. Good piece of fiction with some "science" thrown in.
Tim Cusmano
Young me was a little confused at times, but I found it enjoyable.
Ron Johnson
Apr 15, 2014 Ron Johnson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf
Hugo Nominee 1978
Wyntrnoire
Jun 01, 2015 Wyntrnoire rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
David Merrill
This book was on my to read list for over 30 years. I originally bought it because it had the same cover designer as Dhalgren, Nova, and Triton from Bantam books. You can't judge a book by its cover. It wasn't anything like those. It also, I found was not as good. It took reading it on my e-reader to finally read it. It had particularly small type in the paperback. All in all an ok book, but didn't go where I was hoping from how it began.
Jeffrey
Apr 07, 2010 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
classic science fiction novel.

Three survivors of the destructive time storms that are devastating Earth journey to stop them. There is Marc Despard, a leopard found on the way and a young woman with a bond to the leopard. Crazy Cat and speechless girl and Marc travel on earth and into space in a hunt to decipher the storms before they destroy the universe.

A winner.
Fredrick Danysh
Oct 15, 2014 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it
A time storm engulfs the Earth causing destruction and chaos to the whole planet. The nature of things change. The story centers around a man, a girl, and a leopard and the human spirit.
Alan
Jan 07, 2014 Alan rated it it was amazing
This is a great book!!! I have read this book several times when I could find it. I bought it at one time but lost it over the years. Been hoping I could find in in ebook format.
Regan
Mar 11, 2009 Regan rated it did not like it
Grapes of Wrath meets S.M. Stirling in a first person fiasco. This had to be the most boring book I've read this year.
Fred
Oct 10, 2012 Fred is currently reading it
I read it back in the early 80's and I just got done reading it again. Still a really good book!
Theresa
Jessica
Feb 24, 2011 Jessica rated it it was ok
Recommended to Jessica by: Benjamin Burnes
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Didn't hate it, but didn't like it enough to finish.
Babete
Mar 16, 2011 Babete rated it liked it
( Tempestade No Tempo II )
colleen
Dec 14, 2007 colleen rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction, 1998
read 03.31.98
John
Jan 11, 2012 John rated it really liked it
Grade B-.
Dennis Hearon
Dennis Hearon rated it it was ok
May 23, 2016
Kacee
Kacee marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Jose Luis
Jose Luis marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
  • Brittle Innings
  • The Year of the Quiet Sun
  • Brain Twister
  • Blind Voices
  • The Ragged Astronauts (Land and Overland Series, #1)
  • Mother of Storms
Gordon Rupert Dickson was an American science fiction author. He was born in Canada, then moved to Minneapolis, Minnesota as a teenager. He is probably most famous for his Childe Cycle and the Dragon Knight series. He won three Hugo awards and one Nebula award.

More about Gordon R. Dickson...