Time Storm

Time Storm

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  665 ratings  ·  22 reviews
"A masterful science fiction story told by a masterful science fiction writer".--Milwaukee Journal. A time storm has devastated the Earth, and only a small fraction of humankind remains. From the rubble, three survivors form an unlikely alliance: a young man, a young woman, and a leopard.
Published December 1st 1992 by Baen (first published January 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Time Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time Storm

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerOutlander by Diana GabaldonThe Time Machine by H.G. WellsHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingTimeline by Michael Crichton
Best Time Travel Fiction
232nd out of 962 books — 3,045 voters
The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le GuinGrass by Sheri S. TepperParable of the Sower by Octavia E. ButlerThe Adventures of the Stainless Steel Rat by Harry HarrisonThe Anubis Gates by Tim Powers
Most Under-rated Science Fiction
320th out of 1,019 books — 1,020 voters

More lists with this book...

Ubik
One of my favorites that will have a place on my shelf for years to come. The main character, the leopard, the avatar, and the scientist were all very vibrant and fleshed-out. Of course I absolutely fell in love with Sunday! Even well after having read the book, I still think of him and smile. Though Ive yet to read anything else by this author, I tend to think that he wasnt to adept at capturing females because the two main females in the novel were my least favorite facets of it.

The pacing wa...more
Chris Bensen
A very odd story that sticks with you for decades after reading it, about survival after a post-apocalyptic time storm leaving walls of time across the planet.
Raymund Eich
Reading Dickson feels a lot like reading Poul Anderson. Time Storm features competent prose, and Dickson does a great job of increasing the novel's scope, from survival adventure, to rebuilding of civilization, to deep philosophy, to galactic scale. The deep philosophy section, where the narrator is in a depressive state, is slow, but has enough tension to keep the reader's interest. In high school, I checked this book out of the library about twice every year, so clearly it struck a chord in my...more
Jay
I think this would make an excellent movie. In my opinion Gordon R Dickinson wasn't considered a top SF author among the greats, did decent work but perhaps not among the 'best' - until he 'broke out' and wrote Time Storm. Sometime I will have to re-read this and see if I can recover some of the feelings I got reading this book. I admired him for the one or two places where he didn't pull his punches on plot issues. I really enjoyed the adventure aspect of it, not only would make a great movie b...more
Helga Ganguly
I really enjoyed this book, It made me want to go back and read Job,a Comedy of Justice by Heinlein,an all-time favorite of mine. I thought the concept was fresh. We've seen a lot of apocalypse stories but they usually revolve around the primitive society rebuilding itself. Time Storm leaves very few people alive and the main character and his mind are the real battleground.
Denise K.
This is one of my favorite books. I read it many years ago, when I first started reading Sci-fi. I want to 're- read it to see if it is as good as I remember. I remember staying up at night, not being able to stop reading it.
CD
A simple tale that is one of my favorite re-read SF books.
Jody Kidney
My favorite SF novel, ever.
Bill P
Read it by chance years ago and still think of it often. Good piece of fiction with some "science" thrown in.
Tim Cusmano
Young me was a little confused at times, but I found it enjoyable.
Ron Johnson
Hugo Nominee 1978
George
Do you like this sentence?

"Within the fixed boundary lines of the stabilized force lines set up to be used for cross-space transportation, the time storm had gone on in its normal pattern of developing and spreading temporal disintegration, until about three thousand years ago, when there began to be evidence of periodic checking of areas threatening to set off large-scale disturbances throughout the general, galaxy-wide pattern."

Yes? Then you will love this book.
David Merrill
This book was on my to read list for over 30 years. I originally bought it because it had the same cover designer as Dhalgren, Nova, and Triton from Bantam books. You can't judge a book by its cover. It wasn't anything like those. It also, I found was not as good. It took reading it on my e-reader to finally read it. It had particularly small type in the paperback. All in all an ok book, but didn't go where I was hoping from how it began.
Jeffrey
classic science fiction novel.

Three survivors of the destructive time storms that are devastating Earth journey to stop them. There is Marc Despard, a leopard found on the way and a young woman with a bond to the leopard. Crazy Cat and speechless girl and Marc travel on earth and into space in a hunt to decipher the storms before they destroy the universe.

A winner.
Alan
This is a great book!!! I have read this book several times when I could find it. I bought it at one time but lost it over the years. Been hoping I could find in in ebook format.
Regan
Grapes of Wrath meets S.M. Stirling in a first person fiasco. This had to be the most boring book I've read this year.
Fred
Oct 10, 2012 Fred is currently reading it
I read it back in the early 80's and I just got done reading it again. Still a really good book!
Jessica
Feb 24, 2011 Jessica rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jessica by: Benjamin Burnes
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Didn't hate it, but didn't like it enough to finish.
Babete
( Tempestade No Tempo II )
Theresa
chapter book adventure story
colleen
read 03.31.98
John
Grade B-.
Guilherme Pinto
Guilherme Pinto marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
  • The Year of the Quiet Sun
  • Mother of Storms
  • Dark Universe
  • Brain Twister
  • The Ragged Astronauts (Land and Overland Series, #1)
  • Who?
  • Courtship Rite
  • Immortality, Inc.
  • Brittle Innings
Gordon Rupert Dickson was an American science fiction author. He was born in Canada, then moved to Minneapolis, Minnesota as a teenager. He is probably most famous for his Childe Cycle and the Dragon Knight series. He won three Hugo awards and one Nebula award.

More about Gordon R. Dickson...
Dorsai! (Childe Cycle, #1) The Dragon and the George (Dragon Knight, #1) Tactics of Mistake (Childe Cycle, #4) Soldier, Ask Not (Childe Cycle, #3) The Dragon Knight (Dragon Knight #2)