Start by marking “Saffy's Angel (Casson Family, #1)” as Want to Read:
Saffy's Angel (Casson Family, #1)

Saffy's Angel (Casson Family #1)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  3,111 ratings  ·  326 reviews
Those of you who have read Hilary McKay's earlier books, among which are The Exiles, Dog Friday, and Dolphin Luck, will happily welcome her new story, Saffy's Angel. Whether you have read her work or not, you have a special treat in store in Saffy's Angel.

You'll meet the four Casson children, whose mother, Eve, a fine-arts painter, has given them the names of paint colors

Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published May 7th 2002 by Listening Library (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Saffy's Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saffy's Angel

Beth
Saffy's Angel is poignant and hilarious, and very, very British, and absolutely fabulous. I don't quite know how to recap it without ruining the constant surprise of the humor, but why don't you meet the characters?

Here's Rose:
Rose was still awake, late though it was. She was painting a desert landscape on the white wall of the landing. She had got rid of her father very successfully when he telephoned. Saffron had hardly been mentioned; the discussion had been all about art. The desert landsca
Sherwood Smith
A LiveJournal friend introduced me to the novels of Hilary McKay. They are not fantasies or science fiction, and yet one of their attractions is that peculiar timelessness of certain types of family novels that center around kids, as written by English authors. Well, no, a few Americans have done them, though not many as far as I know. Elizabeth Enright being one. But anyway, they remind me of Dodie Smith's I Capture the Castle and Antonia Forest's Marlows (note just how much used copies go for! ...more
Melissa Proffitt
It’s very hard to explain why this book is so beautiful and so moving. I can start with the barest of summaries:
Saffron didn’t know she was adopted until she couldn’t find her name on the paint color chart in the Cassons’ wonderfully disorganized house. Even though Eve and Bill Casson, her aunt and uncle, treat her as one of their own children, Saffy feels left out--until her grandfather’s will reveals a legacy she’d almost forgotten, a stone angel from her old home in Italy.
But this doesn’t beg
Jacob Proffitt
Saffy's Angel starts off a bit harrowing as the author drives you immediately into the world of a family afflicted with artism and associated dysfunctions. Fortunately, that first scene includes a walk-on by a woman who can be used to represent your every-day sensibilities and if you let her carry your own quibbles and expectations as she leaves, you'll be just fine. If you can't do this, there's no way to enjoy the book so you'd best stop there.

Fortunately for those of us not tied too tightly t
Julie
Delightful! A touch of "everything old is new again" here. As comforting and nostalgic as warm rice pudding. The narrator's tone and the characters' language made me often feel I was reading the sort of books I read as a child (translation: books at least 25+ years old). And yet, convincingly contemporary, in particular with wry humor and unidealized characters. The author's affection for all her characters, much as she laughs at them, is one of the book's principal charms. I'm in search of the ...more
Sara
May 26, 2012 Sara added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Sara by: Elizabeth
I wrote a critical essay for school on this, and it was labelled (by the teacher who hasn't read it) as "girly teen fiction", because it is not about war or best friends killing each other (although there are deaths, and best friends). Fiction? Yes. Teen? Maybe, although there is a massive variety of ages that enjoy this book. Girly? No. My brother enjoys this book. He doesn't like reading, but still he is working on getting through the rest of the series.
Maybe people on Goodreads will apprciate
Rachel Brown
Lovely British children's book about a family of eccentrics. The mom is an absent-minded painter who named her children after paint colors, the hilariously insensitive father is nearly entirely absent, and the four kids are up to assorted hijinks involving keeping hamsters in pockets, stowing away to Italy, and searching for Saffron's inheritance, a missing stone angel.

A plot description doesn't do it justice. McKay is one of those writers (mostly British, in my experience) who writes short, see
Elizabeth
Sep 28, 2009 Elizabeth added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
I just LOVE Hilary McKay. I have read Saffy's Angel several times now and it STILL makes me laugh out loud again and again--even when I know what's coming.

The scene where the Casson kids drive to Wales--that's just got to be the funniest scene in a hundred years of writing for children. It's just genius. I also found myself really enjoying the excavation of the house.

I say again: If more contemporary children's writers wrote like THIS, I would not be so bitter and twisted. I wish I wrote like th
steph
BEST FAMILY EVER. Droopy Di. Michael the driving instructor. Sarah and her wheelchair and her parents in France! The siblings. The color chart that started it all.

“She had to go,” said Rose.
“It was because of her angel,” said Indigo.
“And because of Granddad,” added Caddy.
“And because of her nose stud.”
“And because her name isn’t on the color chart.”
“She’s lonely,” said Rose. “That’s why.”

Reviewed more in depth here at the YA/MG book battle. I plan on reading the rest of the books in this series
Katie
This was CHARMING. It reminded me of the older children's books I read as a kid. I laughed my way through the last few chapters and the ending was WONDERFUL.

(view spoiler)
Brandy Painter
Review originally poster here.

Could I live in the Casson house? Absolutely not. Could I enjoy an extended stay? Absolutely not. Would I enjoy an afternoon visit? Maybe. Visiting them through the pages of their story is my ideal. That way I am not literally experiencing the mess or chaos.

Saffy and the search for her angel are certainly the core of the book but the heart of the story is all the Casson children. Saffy is distant and temperamental but obviously loves her quirky siblings very much. C
Shelley
Meet the Cassons—Saffy’s very eccentric, tight-knit family that includes an older sister who can’t drive a lick despite 99 lessons from a cute instructor; a brother who tries to overcome his many fears through unconventional means; a baby sister who is a small force to be reckoned with; a distant dad who spends most of the time working in his London studio; and a ditzy mom who works on her art in a shed at the family’s home outside the city. All of the Casson children—Cadmium, Indigo, and Rose—a ...more
Alison
If you haven't met Hilary McKay's enchanting Casson family, then make sure you remedy this omission! Their parents are painters- Bill, their father is a successful and acclaimed artist, living and working in London; Eve, their mother, make ends meet by painting popular subjects and teaching art classes. The children- Caddy, Indigo, Saffron and Rose- get by as best they can in their loving but slightly chaotic home.

Saffron is the focus of this book. She discovers at the age of 8 that she is the a
Merrie Haskell
I'm really amazed that there's something out there that captures the spirit of Dodie Smith's I Capture the Castle plus all those interlaced family novels I read as a kid (though I'm blanking on any titles, but I guess somewhere between All of a Kind Family and Little Women), and doesn't sacrifice the modern world. There are mobile phones! It's not trapped in some ridiculous past masquerading as the present--it is thoroughly the present. But it has a pleasant sensibility of another time.

The Casso
Alison
Really sweet and lovely, family-focused MG> Especially loved the trip to Sienna!
Julianna
Every time I visited the public library, which was often, I passed by this book. Sitting in the turnstile, it regularly caught my attention, but I dismissed it upon closer inspection. At ten years old, I certainly judged this book by it's cover - a girl in a 90's style dress accompanied by a title I misread as "Safety's Angel" gave me the impression that it was a girly story involving guardian angels and the protection of children from danger (and adventure). Therefore I would snort and seek so ...more
Susan
A friend recommend Saffy's Angel to my youngest daughter, who read it, enjoyed it, and then recommended it to me. I liked it a lot as well. It tells about Saffron, whose siblings (Rose, Cadmium, and Indigo) were all named after paints on the color chart (their parents are artists). Saffy discovers that her name isn't on the chart, and sure enough -- she's adopted. She ends up on an adventurous journey looking for an elusive angel figurine that her beloved grandfather left her in his will.

I won't
Frankie
Linnea
genre: realistic fiction - series

summary: The Cassion family is unique. They are all artistic in their own way and tend to things that no normal family would do. Eve, the mother, spends most of her time painting in a shed in the yard. Caddy, the teenage daughter, raises guinea pigs in the yard and hamsters in the house, Indigo, the son, spends a lot of time hanging out of the upstairs window trying to conquer his fear of heights, baby Rose sucks on tubes of paint, Bill, the father, is a professi
Melody
I fell in love with Saffy's delightful, goofy family. I hope there are more books about them. It's a book positively infused with gentleness, a bemused goodwill, and love. So much love on every page. No surprises, no tears. I left it in the observation car on the train and was happy to see a young girl engrossed in it the very next day. A sheer delight.
Susan
Cadmium Gold, Indigo, Saffron, and Permanent Rose are the unconventional children of unconventional artist parents. But then Saffron discovers her name isn't on the list of paint colors like the other kids. How does she fit into this family anyway? And will Caddy learn to drive, Indigo become a polar explorer and Rose finish her mural?
Emily
What a perfectly delightful book. I'm totally hooked on the Casson family now and so glad to see there are more books about them! I laughed so hard while I read this-the characters are irresistible. Reading about this sweet, eccentric English family was a real treat.
Patti
What a clever, whimsical and amusing story. The characters in this story are so memorable that I just wanted more, more, more. Thank goodness for sequels!
Claire Scott
Ohhhh. That was far less sweet, and far more wonderful, than I was expecting. How did it take me so long to finally read this?
Izzi47
so far this book has been very interseting and upsetting for poor saffy i hope she finds her stone angel
izzi47
Mia Sumner41963
I read this book thinking it would be boring, and boy was I wrong. This book follows a strange family with unique characters. I loved each of the character's personality and development. The book seemed so small, yet it was filled with an engaging story. I wouldn't rate it as the best but I still love it. I had just figured out that this book is part of a series so I will certainly read them all. It's a good book and most people will enjoy it and others not, but go ahead if you want. I am rating ...more
Grace
I adored this book!! The characters and storyline were so interesting, it really draws you in! Cadmium, Saffron, Indigo and Rose were fantastic characters! I LOVED learning about their personalities and all their little weird quirks. (There was a lot) the Banana House sounded like an amazing place to live, and I adored their mom! It was amazing how laid back Eve was and I admired how she just let her kids live. There were fantastic side-characters like Sarah, Michael, Mr. & Mrs. Warbeck, Gra ...more
Kaethe
Based on the covers of any of these editions you'd be forgiven for mistaking the title for "Sappy's Angel". They're all rather precious. The title itself was a bit off-putting for me: I was afraid it was going to being something cloyingly religious, with perhaps, a good lesson about character through suffering. Not hardly.

Thankfully, the book it most reminds me of is The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy.* Both are stories about four siblings, w
Amy
The Casson children - Cadmium, Saffron, Indigo, and Rose - are each named after a color, thanks to their artist parents. But one day Saffron is looking at the color wheel in their kitchen, and can't find her name. After this first indication that she may be different from her siblings (whose names all appear on the color wheel), Saffron learns that she was actually adopted after her mother died in a car crash. Still, they all share the same grandfather, since Saffron's mother and Eve Casson were ...more
Robin
I borrowed this book from the library ages ago; it was so good that I ended up borrowing it again when I missed reading it. In the end I went and bought it (finally).

So what’s good about this book anyway? It was really hilarious. Really. I had to control myself from laughing out loud during the bus ride home from the library, otherwise people would think I’m weird (weirder I mean). The Cassons were a most interesting and unusual family you’ll ever meet. The children are all named after paint col
Saffy's Angel movie? what would that be a good idea? 5 23 Nov 24, 2013 04:02PM
  • Ordinary Jack (The Bagthorpe Saga, #1)
  • The Penderwicks at Point Mouette (The Penderwicks, #3)
  • Here Today
  • Emma Jean Lazarus Fell in Love
  • Project Mulberry
  • Never Mind!: A Twin Novel
  • Millicent Min, Girl Genius
  • The Great Good Thing (The Sylvie Cycle, #1)
  • Calling the Shots (Angels Unlimited, #4)
  • The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place
  • All Alone in the Universe
  • The Great Wall of Lucy Wu
  • The Fairies of Nutfolk Wood
  • Penny Dreadful
  • Everything on a Waffle (Coal Harbour #1)
  • Operation Yes
  • Anna Hibiscus
  • Sahara Special
Hilary McKay was born in Boston, Lincolnshire and is the eldest of four girls. From a very early age she read voraciously and grew up in a household of readers. Hilary says of herself as a child "I anaesthetised myself against the big bad world with large doses of literature. The local library was as familiar to me as my own home."

After reading Botany and Zoology at St. Andrew's University Hilary
More about Hilary McKay...

Casson Family (6 books)
  • Caddy's World (Casson Family, #0)
  • Indigo's Star (Casson Family, #2)
  • Permanent Rose (Casson Family, #3)
  • Caddy Ever After (Casson Family, #4)
  • Forever Rose (Casson Family, #5)
Indigo's Star (Casson Family, #2) Permanent Rose (Casson Family, #3) Caddy Ever After (Casson Family, #4) Forever Rose (Casson Family, #5) The Exiles (The Exiles, #1)

“Don't call me darling. I'm a driving instructor!” 48 likes
“I can only drive slowly."
"That's all right."
"And I can only do left turns."
Rose ran downstairs, grabbed a road atlas, and ran triumphantly back up again. "Wales is left! Look! It's left all the way!”
22 likes