Start by marking “James Herriot: The Life of a Country Vet” as Want to Read:
James Herriot: The Life of a Country Vet

James Herriot: The Life of a Country Vet

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  353 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Lord has researched and written a detailed and affectionate biography of a remarkable man whose charm and modesty remained unchanged by phenomenal success and adulation. Alf wrote amazingly little about his parents, his poor childhood in a crowded Glasgow tenement or his schooldays, but Lord describes them all in vivid detail after interviewing friends of Alf's from his ea ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 444 pages
Published April 1st 1998 by Thorndike Press (first published November 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about James Herriot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about James Herriot

Robyn
Jan 03, 2008 Robyn added it
Shelves: non-fiction
UGH! What a horrible book. All the writing talent Alf Wight (James Herriot) had his biographer seems to be lacking. The book is dry, boring and mechanical. Graham spends literally pages upon pages describing the poor Scottish tenements of the early 1900s--dry statistics and detailed facts--and then proceeds to state that Wight's childhood, although very financially poor, was not as bad as most the Scottish tenements he just spent boring his readers with. Too bad, Herriot deserves more than this ...more
Ruth-Anne
Gave up on this one. As much as I love the James Herriot books, this bio was uninteresting and never captured my attention. Too much speculation about early life ( based on apparently no hard facts). Save yourself some time and read Herriot's books instead. They may be highly fictionalized, but they're funny and compelling.
Craig
Jul 08, 2008 Craig rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Desperate Readers
Just the facts. Although informative and a comfortable read, the author really does nothing more than list the facts of the veterinarian's life.

The biography by Mr. Herriot's son is far, far superior.
Alan
Not very good. Seems to be concerned about debunking other biographical material and cross referencing.
Sidney
The author began theorizing all about the guy, his parents, etc. It was supposed to be a biography.
Garth Mailman
Don't buy this book. One of the worst books I've started in decades.
Cait
Really interesting book - found it interesting to see what was fact and fiction in the James Herriot novels.

Liked reading about familiar places; Glasgow, Yoker, North Yorkshire.

Really sad at the end, especially regarding Donald Sinclair, such a shame.

Alf Wight sounded like a lovely man, exactly the sort of author readers want to meet.
Cindy
Detailed, yes. Affectionate? I don't think so.
Carmen
A critical biography written about someone who makes me feel good, always a bad thing. James Herriot writes nostalgic stories about overcoming life in the 30's and 40's as a rural veternarian in Yorkshire, England. The books came out in the late 70's, so while I started college. I enjoyed the escape element of the books. I had thought that they were largely auto-biographical, but Graham Lord says no. My bubble is popped! Oh well, the stories are still entertaining and I will have to re-read them ...more
Lesley

If you've enjoyed the stories of James Herriot, you'll probably enjoy this biography about Herriot's life. His real name was Alf Wight, He talks about overcoming life in the 30's and 40's as a rural veternarian in Yorkshire, England. The books came out in the late 70's, and so did the TV series which is how I got introduced to a new author and started to read his books, I have always enjoyed his books and TV series I have all his books and TV series on DVD.
Terry
Feb 18, 2008 Terry marked it as to-read
James Harriot was one of my favorite authors. Not for those who aren't interested in the country life of a veternarian or his experiences. He was quite humorous to read and I enjoyed all his books but this one that is about him. I think it is one I would check out from the library to see if it is actually worth buying.
Michael
If you've enjoyed the stories of James Herriot, you'll probably enjoy this biography about Herriot's life. I found the beginning part describing Herriot's pre-vet days rather dull and slow going. But it's worth it to keep going; you'll definitely gain some insights into this complicated man.
Aspasia
A biography of James Herriot whose real name was Alf Wight! The first few chapters were hard to get into but Graham Lord shows us how Herriot/Wight used his experiences as a vet to creat one of the most beloved series of books in publishing history.
Liz
Not particularly well written, and it smashed a lot of my preconceived ideas about James Herriot. But it was factual and informative and I learned.
James Alton Moody
May 18, 2008 James Alton Moody rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: vets/prevets
i had the audiobook and i think im glad. it does go on a bit doesnt it?
but ultimately insightful and thus i feel its purpose is fulfilled.
Patience Miles
Pretty good biography of a wonderful man...
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Martha Turnbull
Martha Turnbull marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
  • The Best of James Herriot: The Favorite Stories of One of the Most Beloved Writers of Our Time
  • Circling the Waggins: How 5 Misfit Dogs Saved Me from Bewilderness
  • Zoo Vet: Adventures Of A Wild Animal Doctor
  • The Real James Herriot: A Memoir of My Father
  • Dogs
  • Tales of an African Vet
  • Vet Tech Tales: The Early Years (Confessions of an Animal Junkie)
  • Walt Whitman: A Life
  • Fear of Falling (Wild at Heart, #9)
  • Julie Andrews: An Intimate Biography
  • No Dogs in Heaven?: Scenes from the Life of a Country Veterinarian
  • Colter: The True Story of the Best Dog I Ever Had
Niv Dick Francis: A Racing Life Lord of the Files The Short Stories Of Marcel Ayme Just The One: The Wives And Times Of Jeffrey Bernard