Start by marking “James Herriot: The Life of a Country Vet” as Want to Read:
James Herriot: The Life of a Country Vet

James Herriot: The Life of a Country Vet

Lord has researched and written a detailed and affectionate biography of a remarkable man whose charm and modesty remained unchanged by phenomenal success and adulation. Alf wrote amazingly little about his parents, his poor childhood in a crowded Glasgow tenement or his schooldays, but Lord describes them all in vivid detail after interviewing friends of Alf's from his ea ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 467 pages
Published April 1st 1998 by Thorndike Press (first published November 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about James Herriot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about James Herriot

Robyn
Jan 03, 2008 Robyn added it
Shelves: non-fiction
UGH! What a horrible book. All the writing talent Alf Wight (James Herriot) had his biographer seems to be lacking. The book is dry, boring and mechanical. Graham spends literally pages upon pages describing the poor Scottish tenements of the early 1900s--dry statistics and detailed facts--and then proceeds to state that Wight's childhood, although very financially poor, was not as bad as most the Scottish tenements he just spent boring his readers with. Too bad, Herriot deserves more than this ...more
Ruth-Anne
Apr 01, 2012 Ruth-Anne rated it did not like it
Gave up on this one. As much as I love the James Herriot books, this bio was uninteresting and never captured my attention. Too much speculation about early life ( based on apparently no hard facts). Save yourself some time and read Herriot's books instead. They may be highly fictionalized, but they're funny and compelling.
Sidney
Dec 28, 2012 Sidney rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
The author began theorizing all about the guy, his parents, etc. It was supposed to be a biography.
Booksingarden
Aug 10, 2015 Booksingarden rated it did not like it
This is both poorly written and a hatchet job.
The book written by his son is an excellent biography. It is well written and written with affection - just like his Dad's books: The Real James Herriot: A Memoir of My Father. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...
Alan
Jan 19, 2009 Alan rated it it was ok
Not very good. Seems to be concerned about debunking other biographical material and cross referencing.
Garth Mailman
May 15, 2013 Garth Mailman rated it did not like it
Don't buy this book. One of the worst books I've started in decades.
Sue
Mar 05, 2017 Sue rated it it was ok
Looks like the author jumped onto the bandwagon of someone else, who was famous. I was looking for animal stories.
Carol Tilson
Will the real James Herriot please step forward

I am a binge reader, I love reading books in the same series and or by the same author whenever possible. I knew this book was not by the original author, James "Alf" Wigt, aka James Herriot but about him. However, the description of this book proved a bit misleading. There was a great deal of idiosyncrasies that were discussed as to the characters, the city, the time periods, etc. I don't even remember how many times the theory of what percentage A
Carmen
Jun 18, 2010 Carmen rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir-biography
A critical biography written about someone who makes me feel good, always a bad thing. James Herriot writes nostalgic stories about overcoming life in the 30's and 40's as a rural veternarian in Yorkshire, England. The books came out in the late 70's, so while I started college. I enjoyed the escape element of the books. I had thought that they were largely auto-biographical, but Graham Lord says no. My bubble is popped! Oh well, the stories are still entertaining and I will have to re-read them ...more
Lesley
Oct 25, 2012 Lesley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: autobiography

If you've enjoyed the stories of James Herriot, you'll probably enjoy this biography about Herriot's life. His real name was Alf Wight, He talks about overcoming life in the 30's and 40's as a rural veternarian in Yorkshire, England. The books came out in the late 70's, and so did the TV series which is how I got introduced to a new author and started to read his books, I have always enjoyed his books and TV series I have all his books and TV series on DVD.
Cait
Dec 21, 2014 Cait rated it liked it
Really interesting book - found it interesting to see what was fact and fiction in the James Herriot novels.

Liked reading about familiar places; Glasgow, Yoker, North Yorkshire.

Really sad at the end, especially regarding Donald Sinclair, such a shame.

Alf Wight sounded like a lovely man, exactly the sort of author readers want to meet.
Terry
Feb 18, 2008 Terry marked it as to-read
James Harriot was one of my favorite authors. Not for those who aren't interested in the country life of a veternarian or his experiences. He was quite humorous to read and I enjoyed all his books but this one that is about him. I think it is one I would check out from the library to see if it is actually worth buying.
Michael
Jul 01, 2009 Michael rated it liked it
If you've enjoyed the stories of James Herriot, you'll probably enjoy this biography about Herriot's life. I found the beginning part describing Herriot's pre-vet days rather dull and slow going. But it's worth it to keep going; you'll definitely gain some insights into this complicated man.
Aspasia
Jun 14, 2010 Aspasia rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A biography of James Herriot whose real name was Alf Wight! The first few chapters were hard to get into but Graham Lord shows us how Herriot/Wight used his experiences as a vet to creat one of the most beloved series of books in publishing history.
James Alton Moody
May 16, 2008 James Alton Moody rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: vets/prevets
i had the audiobook and i think im glad. it does go on a bit doesnt it?
but ultimately insightful and thus i feel its purpose is fulfilled.
Cindy
Mar 08, 2015 Cindy rated it it was ok
Detailed, yes. Affectionate? I don't think so.
Patience Miles
Dec 03, 2010 Patience Miles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good biography of a wonderful man...
Jo
Jun 22, 2016 Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Brad Erickson
Jul 30, 2016 Brad Erickson rated it liked it
Too much speculation and not enough facts. Although I enjoyed the narrative about his becoming a writer and all the publishing and writing travails involved.
Deborah Jones
Dec 04, 2015 Deborah Jones rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bit dry reading

I read this through hoping it would get better. It didn't . Nice to learn a bit more about my favorite vet but I wish the story was less like an obituary.
Liz
May 08, 2013 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not particularly well written, and it smashed a lot of my preconceived ideas about James Herriot. But it was factual and informative and I learned.
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2011
Cameron
Cameron rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2012
Wayne Gillingham
Wayne Gillingham rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Patti
Patti rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2009
John Gustafson
John Gustafson rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2016
Nancy H.
Nancy H. rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Mika
Mika rated it liked it
May 04, 2016
Kelly De la rosa
Kelly De la rosa rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2016
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
  • The Best of James Herriot: The Favorite Stories of One of the Most Beloved Writers of Our Time
  • Animal E.R.
  • Majesty: Queen Elizabeth II and the House of Windsor
  • The Shark Chronicles: A Scientist Tracks the Consummate Predator
  • Dogs
  • My Pride and Joy: An Autobiography
  • The Early Years (Vet Tech Tales, #1)
  • Walt Whitman: A Life