Start by marking “Amber and Iron (Dragonlance: The Dark Disciple, #2)” as Want to Read:
Amber and Iron (Dragonlance: The Dark Disciple, #2)

Amber and Iron (Dragonlance Universe)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  1,631 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Former monk Rhys leads a powerful alliance in an attempt to find some way to destroy the Beloved, the fearsome movement of undead caught in the terrifying grip of the Lord of Death. Original.
Mass Market Paperback, 373 pages
Published November 7th 2006 by Wizards of the Coast (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Amber and Iron, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amber and Iron

Ben
I had the notion that the second instalment in any series is always the worst of the bunch, and this is based on experience. But I actually enjoyed this more than the first book, and that's saying much as I really loved the first book.

Didn't expect the twist at the end! Huge shock.
Monique
This novel is the sequel to Amber and Ashes. In it Mina comes face to face with some inconsistency in regards to who she has. As she does not remember her childhood she decides to go against Chemosh’s wishes to discover who she is. The truth to her past lies with Rhys and Nightshade. Rhys and Nightshade while being hunted by Mina who wants answers to her past, are trying to kill Lleu (Rhy’s brother) before he can harm more women.

I enjoyed this novel as much as I enjoyed the first novel. The plo...more
Lily
After reading the first book Amber and Ashes, I couldn't wait for the second volume to come out. You don't have to have read any of the Dragonlance novels to read this new series. It's a quick easy read and follows the story of Mina and how she plays into the plans of the different gods in wanting to rule the world. There's a little bit of love and suspense, dealing of relationships between the immortal and mortal worlds. I can't wait to read the last book in this trilogy. I definitely recommend...more
Alessandro Pellizzari
Migliora rispetto al primo, anche se di poco, soprattutto dopo la metà.

Purtroppo continua a dare l'impressione di una scarsissima pianificazione della trama. Gli dei sembrano quasi umani, per quante limitazioni hanno, per la maggior parte del tempo, salvo poi avere un guizzo di potenza divina. Poco credibili.

E monopolizzano la storia. Per quanto gli umani cerchino di fare qualcosa, si trovano sempre il dio che li blocca e devono attendere l'intervento di un altro dio per tirarsene fuori.

Le frasi...more
Marco
The characters introduced in the first volume of the Dark Disciple trilogy return in Amber and Iron. Rhys and Nightshade continue to follow Lleu, to find a way to destroy Chemosh's curse. Mina continues to help the God of Death in his attempt to rule the dark pantheon, but the mysteries from her past starts to surface, shaking her to the core. As more gods get involved, the mysteries surrounding Mina nature and origin slowly unravel.
This is the best volume of the trilogy, the one I enjoyed readi...more
Tyler
The main problem with this series isn't so much that it's fluff, I've got nothing against that (despite obvious contrivances from the D&D rule book), it's more that there is too much focus on the gods. Specific powers and rules applied to them are constantly in the background of the story while the mortals are largely ignored, save Rhys and Nightshade. While the revealing of Mina's divinity isn't really surprising after about halfway through the book, the idea that she is of the Light is. Fr...more
Drax Goodall
I didn't have a chance to read the first book but I still enjoyed this one.
Daimen Vauban
It would have been nice to reread my review for the first installment in the Dark Disciple series, but I think I said something about enjoying my return to Krynn as it has been a number of years since last I was there (or something like that).
What I can say about the second installment is that it is tremendously better than the first one and I actually liked the first one. I found the story being told at a good pace. Ms. Weis did a fine job building up to the key discoveries in this novel. The e...more
Kistilan
The Dark Disciple Series is Ms Weis again at her finest. The mystery behind Mina is compelling to the end. A rogue monk on Krynn is also new and refreshing amidst the many canon lorekeepers of Dragonlance. If one were finished with The Chronicles, The Legends and The War of Souls, this is the next series to read. Also, although not written by Weis, The Minotaurs Series is also key to understanding the changing land of Krynn in the 5th Age.
Drucilla
I liked this entry better than I did its predecessor. The author didn't have to take the time to set up the story and thus was able to dive right in (and I mean dive right in. It would be a good idea to read this book immediately after reading the first one). As in the first entry, the pov is spread amonst the characters for a more equal and interesting read. Be forewarned, though, it ends on a cliff-hanger.
Jeff
Off like a shotgun...I'm eating it up, like the last one. In case you never knew, I can take 1-2 months to read a book, but I finished book 1 and started book 2 within a week. Practically unheard of. It's AWESOME, btw.

i am LOVIN this dark disciple series i'm reading. it almost seems that she was so inspired that words are being left out. i've found types throughout. doesn't reduce my enjoyment, tho.
Siobhan O'Laoghaire-Sannes
Boring, boring, boring. Especially when you consider how many books are on my to-read shelf. That shelf is not just a list of things I would like to read. Each entry is a physical book on a physical self or a title stored on my Kindle that I actually plan to read. (I should post a picture of that sometime. My to-read shelf is actually one shelf, LOL!) So I need to be ruthless.
Tabitha Tomala
This book was phenomenal! Where as the first book didn't delve too deeply into Mina herself, this book finally answered all my questions! About half way through the book I just knew what Mina was, so when they finally came out with it I went, I knew it!! Can't wait to read the next. I was happy to see that Majere made quite the appearance in this book too.
Brian
This book opens up a new world, displaying the extricates of other gods. It shows the politics of the gods and their human-like relations. A rogue monk on Krynn is also new and refreshing amidst the many canon lorekeepers of Dragonlance. If one were finished with The Chronicles, The Legends and The War of Souls, this is the next series to read.
Aaron
Dec 22, 2008 Aaron rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Margeret Weis Fans
This book opens up a new world, displaying the extricates of other gods. It shows the politics of the gods and their human-like relations. The terrible cost of a beloveds death only feeds the fear of humans and gods alike. It was an interesting read and I had a hard time put the book down.
Stephen Delorme
Not as good as Amber and Ashes (Vol 1), but the ending makes you want more.
Annjean
Very good I like it a lot the characters the story it was really good so good I had to get the other two books in the series on my kindle so I could read the beginning and the end of the series. :-)
Tim Dunn
I really enjoy this kind of book, and as far as this author goes, few better. This series seems to get more interesting as it goes along, can't wait to read book three.
Ted Reed
It's nice to have a new trilogy with a new generation of characters in a familiar setting. Also nice is how big the other gods figure into this trilogy.
Kathryn Jenkins
Dec 28, 2013 Kathryn Jenkins rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Loved...it makes the series and doesn't leave the reader disappointed a bit.
Paper_moonshine
Couldn't put it down and had me dying for the last part to come out.
Fumphwoog, Lady of all Sorrows
Love this too... I just love Margaret Weis work!!!
Collin Reremoana
A fantastic journey back too the world of krynn.
Inna
Rhys, yeah. Kinda wish he weren't a monk.
Phil
book was so-so, cliffhanger was pretty good.
Yao Rui Huang
LOVE THIS ENTIRE SERIES! AMAZING!
Ronald Marcil
Dragonlance: the Dark Disciple #2
Annie
Nov 17, 2008 Annie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Tony S
Can't wait for the next!
Nicholas
A very exciting invigorating book!
  • Empire of Blood (Dragonlance: The Minotaur Wars, #3)
  • The Measure and the Truth (Dragonlance: Rise of Solamnia, #3)
  • Alliances (Dragonlance: Elven Exiles, #2)
  • Redemption (Dragonlance: Dhamon Saga, #3)
  • Flight of the Fallen (Dragonlance: Linsha, #2)
  • Chosen of the Gods (Dragonlance: Kingpriest, #1)
  • Saving Solace (Dragonlance: Champions, #1)
  • Children of the Plains (Dragonlance: Barbarians, #1)
  • The Lioness (Dragonlance: The Age of Mortals, #2)
  • The Sellsword (Dragonlance: The Anvil of Time, #1)
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para...more
More about Margaret Weis...
Dragons of Autumn Twilight  (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #1) Dragons of Spring Dawning (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #3) Dragons of Winter Night (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #2) Time of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #1) War of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #2)