Start by marking “Double Image” as Want to Read:
Double Image

Double Image

This story begins when an American in Paris meets a former professor, who has just seen a dead Nazi walking the streets. The American becomes part of a team of intelligence agents from all countries, who converge on Mykonos to penetrate a Nazi-Fascist-Communist muliple identity.
Hardcover
Published September 1988 by Amereon Limited (first published December 1st 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Double Image, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Double Image

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le CarréThe Bourne Identity by Robert LudlumThe Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le CarréThe Hunt for Red October by Tom ClancyThe Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth
Best Spy Novels
261st out of 863 books — 1,585 voters
Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary StewartMadam, Will You Talk? by Mary StewartAirs Above the Ground by Mary StewartThe Ivy Tree by Mary StewartThis Rough Magic by Mary Stewart
Romantic Suspense With Vintage Vibe
22nd out of 61 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Dec 29, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it
I have a soft spot for her books even though the soviet spies seem almost quaint now. This is kind of like Mad Men the spy novel.
Jc
Sep 29, 2009 Jc rated it really liked it
Helen MacInnes was one of the great spy/intrigue writers of the WWII/Cold War era, and one of the very few females in the genre. Certainly, she was one of the few women writing spy novels in the early 1940s when she started. And, she was a master. The Double Image was one of her later novels, written in 1966. As with most of her novels, Double Image is more Le Carre than Fleming – her novels were trying to portray the darker, grimmer side of the spy world rather than the gun-slinging, martini-qu ...more
Beth
Jul 15, 2014 Beth rated it liked it
This was another enjoyable espionage novel by Helen MacInnes. I find myself wanting to read her books in the summer. This one was written in the 1960s. John Craig is an American historian visiting Europe to do research for a book. While in Paris he runs into an old college professor who sees a former Nazi, then turns up dead. Craig ends up being drawn into the hunt for the former Nazi who is really a Russian agent. He works with American intelligence agents in Paris and later Mykonos, Greece. Th ...more
Kay
Jun 05, 2015 Kay rated it really liked it
With the stock figure of the naïve American in Paris who suddenly finds himself running in an international post World-War II spy-counterspy race to capture a very nasty Nazi who got away, this old-fashioned story of foreign intrigue is classically character-based serious Marx Brothers drama. Beautiful women play important parts and Mykonos, with Mykoniots, provide a brilliantly rich Greek islands stage for the drama. Next time I may just write down all the names and really try to keep everyone ...more
Carolyn
Jun 01, 2008 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys political intrigue and suspense
Probably my favorite of all Helen MacInnes's books. Most of us don't know what goes on the name of National Security, and the risk that our undercover CIA,(etc) agents take. This story takes place in the beautiful Greek Islands. I've read this book several times, and enjoy it each time.
Simon Mcleish
Apr 03, 2012 Simon Mcleish rated it liked it
Originally published on my blog here in January 1999.

The Double Image is a competent spy thriller, not the chauvinist action of Ian Fleming nor the convoluted plotting of John le Carré but more straightforward and down-to-earth than either.

John Carey, an economist, in Paris while travelling to Greece to research the history of trade routes, meets his old teacher Professor Sussman by chance. Sussman has just returned from Frankfurt where he has been testifying at the trial of some former guards f
Grace
May 24, 2013 Grace rated it it was ok
Shelves: for-fun, spy, fiction
Wow. This was a completely hilarious spy novel of the anti-communist era. Granted, the gadgets, tricks, running around in a foreign country... I can see why they were such a hit back in those days. And now I can finally say I read an original "Russian spy novel".

This particular story involves a guy by the name of Berg, who was in Nazi Germany. He worked in a concentration camp releasing all communists. After the war, he was declared dead, but he really went to Russia, where he became an agent.
Rebecca
Mar 03, 2015 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
I loved Helen MacInness when I was in high school. The book held up well on re-reading it so many years later. Good plot, likeable characters, great locations, and good writing. I'm setting myself a goal - to read all of her books in the order they were written. With luck I'll be able to find them all.
John Senner
Jan 26, 2016 John Senner rated it really liked it
Good old cold-war-era spy story. John Craig is an academic doing research on a book and he meets his old professor in Paris, who is being followed by a Nazi war criminal/soviet spy. And the trouble begins.
Akwhepworth
Jul 21, 2016 Akwhepworth rated it liked it
I had trouble keeping all the characters straight --- and following the plot for that matter. Loved the setting, but I just didn't pay enough attention to the details in this one.
Tanya
Another hit

The author has another hit mystery. I love her books and find satisfaction in every one that I read. Well drawn characters and good historical information.
Calzean
An holocaust survivor sees a Nazi goaler who is supposedly dead. The survivor is then found dead. And so the story of who is doing what to who starts and goes on and on.

Hasn't aged well. Does not have the complexities of Le Carre or the darkness of a really sinister villain. While it has exciting technical spy gadgets which might have been interesting at the time, the story relies on a lot of dialogue as the various parties attempt to outwit each other. As with a lot of espionage stories the rol
Janette
Mar 27, 2014 Janette rated it liked it
There's a lot of talking and slow spots, but the end is a killer.
Greer Andjanetta
Oct 02, 2013 Greer Andjanetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A typical HM murder mystery set in Europe, this time involving a former German extermination camp guard who was presumed dead at the end of the war but is recognized in Paris by one of his former inmates. Now a Russian agent, the German kills the former prisoner, now a professor and a former student of the professor, along with the inevitable beautiful young woman, set out to solve the murder and become embroiled with spies and espionage. Quite readable.
Fredrick Danysh
Feb 21, 2016 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
Set in the post-Kennedy Cold War era, this spy novels places historian in Europe doing research for a book on trade routes where he accidentally runs into an old college professor. When the professor dies Craig is caught up in the spy game as he held track down a Nazi who was presumed dead for the past decade. He also meets the girl of his dreams and must protect her.
Barbara Gard
exciting spy story
Liz V.
Mar 30, 2012 Liz V. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A chance encounter with a former professor and the story of a supposedly dead Nazi walking the streets of Paris leads John Craig into the world of espionage/counterespionage and from Paris to Athens and Mykonos.
Cynthia Franklin pelfrey
Could not finish it. I don't know why, but it just didn't call to me.
Heather
Jul 20, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
This is my absolute favorite of her books! (At least of the ones I've read so far!
Brackman1066
Apr 12, 2013 Brackman1066 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
A fun thriller with a sympathetic, competent hero. I'll read more by her.
Elaine
Sep 05, 2012 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy this author's books. Well done, and good to read.
Amy
Aug 24, 2015 Amy marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
I just can't with communists.
Douglas Wilson
May 28, 2009 Douglas Wilson rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Good.
Vicki
Vicki rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Doreen
Doreen added it
Sep 14, 2016
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Hilary
Hilary marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
M P Klein
M P Klein rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2016
Onyx
Onyx marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Double Image, a period piece 1 4 Jan 20, 2013 06:37AM
  • Turncoat
  • Journey Into Fear
  • The Golden Rendezvous
  • Mars the Avenger (A Judge Marcus Flavius Severus Mystery in Ancient Rome, #1)
  • The British Cross (November Man, #4)
  • Had We Never Loved (The Tales of the Jewelled Men, #2)
  • Airs Above the Ground
  • The Debriefing
  • Death Ex Machina (The Athenian Mysteries, #5)
  • Mrs. Pollifax on the China Station (Mrs. Pollifax, #6)
  • The Thousand Coffins Affair (The Man from U.N.C.L.E., #1)
  • A Desert in Bohemia
  • Three By Tey: Miss Pym Disposes, The Franchise Affair, and Brat Farrar
  • Buried for Pleasure (Gervase Fen, #6)
  • Charlie M (Charlie Muffin, #1)
  • Alistair MacLean's Red Alert
Helen MacInnes was a Scottish-American author of espionage novels. She graduated from the University of Glasgow in Scotland in 1928 with a degree in French and German. A librarian, she married Professor Gilbert Highet in 1932 and moved with her husband to New York in 1937 so he could teach classics at Columbia University. She wrote her first novel, Above Suspicion, in 1939. She wrote many bestsell ...more
More about Helen MacInnes...