Start by marking “Low-Carb Gourmet” as Want to Read:
Low-Carb Gourmet

Low-Carb Gourmet

Cook well. Eat well. That's always been my philosophy, Karen Barnaby says. I've just translated it into low-carbing. Anyone who is currently on-or contemplating embarking upon-one of the many low-carb diets will find The Low-Carb Gourmet to be a goldmine of recipes, tips, and inspiration.The first sophisticated low-carb cookbook on the market from acclaimed chef Karen Barn ...more
Published November 1st 2004 by Rodale Books (first published October 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Low-Carb Gourmet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Low-Carb Gourmet

Why We Get Fat by Gary TaubesGood Calories, Bad Calories by Gary TaubesWheat Belly by William  DavisThe Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Jeff S. VolekDr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution by Robert C. Atkins
Best of Low Carb Books
39th out of 87 books — 91 voters
Why We Get Fat by Gary TaubesThe Miracle Diet by Susan Ford CollinsYour Weight Loss Journey - Overcome Obesity Excuses by Sharon FrenchIn Defense of Food by Michael PollanSlim And Healthy You by Sahara Sanders
Serious Weight Loss Help
59th out of 62 books — 63 voters

More lists with this book...

Kimberly Ann
Jan 26, 2016 Kimberly Ann rated it it was ok
Contains chapters on:

What's for Breakfast (Cheesecake pancakes & Omega Waffles)

Little Nibbles & Dips (Five-spice sesame walnuts & Prawns w/ peppery garlic vinaigrette)

Soups (Italian egg drop parmesan & Escarole w/ turkey meatballs)

Salads & Dressings (Mom's cauliflower salad & Pine nut w/ parsley salad)

Vegetables (Buttered sesame kale & Scalloped Savoy cabbage)

Fish (Baked halibut w/ lemon-basil vinaigrette & Fresh salmon cakes)

Chicken & Turkey (simple chicken w
Neil
Dec 22, 2013 Neil added it
Shelves: cooking
As stated, it's hard to find a decent HFLC book. This one was recommended to me - overall good inspiration. Previously I've been adapting low GI and protein recipes.
Presentation-wise - This feels a little spartan, lacking lots of pictures, there are pictures, just not enough for me.

I'm sure others are quite happy with the text to picture ratio.

- I admit it, I often eat with my eyes first.
Tracy Micevski
Some nice recipes but HATE that she includes Splenda (as an ingredient. Would not have bought the book had I known.
Callista
Nov 19, 2015 Callista rated it liked it
I was excited about this one, but ultimately sort of let down. Not enough photography, too much Splenda. :/
Gary
Jul 10, 2012 Gary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
Great book with great recipes for someone on a Low Carb/High Fat diet. It’s hard to find books that are low carb that aren’t doing high protean and low fat. I’m on a High fat and moderate protean diet and feel great doing so and I think this book can be thanked for it. It’s helped me rethink how I make things, when I am craving Lasagna I don’t cheat I reach for this book. The recipes are easy to follow along and taste great.
Susan
Jan 09, 2009 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This is good if you'd like to eliminate sugar and flour from your diet. And many of the main dish and side dish receipes are good, even for people without dietary restrictions. The author is the chef of a well-known Vancouver BC restaurant, and has many years of cooking and teaching experience. It shows.
Lindsay
Jan 27, 2012 Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A STAPLE of my low carb cooking shelf. Some of the recipes didn't come out, others I had to tweak, but overall I have to rate this book as revolutionary and inspiring.
Junio
Apr 10, 2012 Junio rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Eaters, not just low-carbs.
Shelves: cookingandbaking
The recipes in this book are very tasty. If you can't do wheat or sugar, check it out (literally from the library, becuase it's impossible to find a copy under $50).
Janine Southard
Jan 21, 2011 Janine Southard rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbook
A lot of good suggestions in here and clear directions. Now I have things to eat on this diet!
Cathy
Aug 03, 2013 Cathy rated it liked it
Ok
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Shona
Shona rated it it was ok
Aug 14, 2016
Glenn Gibbons
Glenn Gibbons marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Mary Mcphail
Mary Mcphail rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Karen Baker
Karen Baker marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Dr K R Taylor
Dr K R Taylor rated it liked it
May 28, 2016
Katja Grgurić
Katja Grgurić marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Dr Anne Hicks
Dr Anne Hicks rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
susan underwood
susan underwood rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Julia Daly
Julia Daly rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Sheila
Sheila rated it it was ok
Mar 28, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Clinton
Clinton rated it did not like it
Mar 26, 2016
Shelly Gilliam
Shelly Gilliam marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016