Start by marking “The Gourmet Slow Cooker: Simple and Sophisticated Meals from Around the World” as Want to Read:
The Gourmet Slow Cooker: Simple and Sophisticated Meals from Around the World

The Gourmet Slow Cooker: Simple and Sophisticated Meals from Around the World

Although the slow cooker has experienced a renaissance over the past several years, the discriminating cook is still hard-pressed to find slow cooker recipes worthy of serving at a dinner party—recipes that reflect concern about ingredients, flavors, and appearance.For these cooks, comes THE GOURMET SLOW COOKER, an upscale approach to this new-old phenomenon by author an ...more
Published September 15th 2003 by Ten Speed Press (first published September 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Gourmet Slow Cooker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gourmet Slow Cooker

Darby
Oct 27, 2012 Darby rated it it was amazing
The sub title of this book is "Simple and Sophisticated Meals from Around the World" and I have to say it is perfect subtitle. This book is great way to use your slow cooker but in a way that adds just a little more to the meal. Any of the recipes would be great on any night of the week but also for a dinner party.

The recipes are delicious but the author also offers up drinking suggestions to go with it. The layout, style and photos of the cookbook just make it a lovely read.

It is a cookbook I
Meaghan Booth
Dec 29, 2007 Meaghan Booth rated it really liked it
We were given a crock pot as a wedding present and its been pretty fun trying it out. We used the internet for recipes for awhile but I saw these and love cookbooks with beautiful pictures. I also like how it tells the history of each dish and what wines are best for the dish.
Nancy
Jan 31, 2014 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This little volume presents some very luscious international meals for the slow cooker, with recipes representing the United States, Mexico, Great Britain & Ireland, France, Italy, Greece and India. Most main-dish recipes contain meat, and there are a number of side dishes, as well as desserts, included. My family will attest to the deliciousness of the Beef and Guinness Stew! Also appreciated are the suggestions for beers, wines and beverages to accompany the recipes, including the desserts ...more
Nancy
Jan 31, 2015 Nancy rated it did not like it
disappointing. Every recipe follows the same pattern:
get out exotic spices and grind them together.
Brown some kind of meat or poultry in the skillet.
Brown the accompanying flavor-makers (onion, whatever) in the skillet.
Put it all in the crockpot and cook.

If i'm going to brown everything in the skillet, I'll let it finish cooking in the skillet. Jeeze!
Naomi
Jan 01, 2016 Naomi rated it it was ok
Nothing outstanding really stood out to me in this cookbook. There were a very small handful of recipes that I would make for myself/family. Prep was a bit more involved which normally wouldn't bother me if the recipes were worth it, but I found myself bypassing them.
Brooke
Mar 18, 2012 Brooke rated it really liked it
What a great tool! I recommend the volume 2 & vegetarian cookbooks, too. I've bought them all. This book was a fun impulse-buy that has been worth every penny. It's wonderful for people who really want more from their crockpot than the unfortunate status quo (canned/bottled/packaged food and meat combos). The purchase is of a coffee/spice grinder is needed. The homemade spice mixes add a lot to the recipes. I do also recommend that you adjust each recipe to suit your own taste and food on ha ...more
Christina Waymreen
This book is not for the faint hearted one-time chefs or those who want to "just throw stuff in and get on with it". This is a book that has taken time to slowly develop into an awesome round-the-world trip. You have to try at least one recipe from one country. Find your favorite and invite your neighbors. Also, a must-have on your shelf, or kindle.
Kristi
Feb 12, 2009 Kristi rated it it was amazing
i usually don't like slow cooker recipes, but this cookbook is well worth the $12 from amazon! it's so relaxing to put these recipes together in the morning while rhys is sleeping and then be able to actually enjoy dinner without getting stressed out.
Diana
Nov 05, 2009 Diana rated it really liked it
Not only are the recipes interesting but the "Tips for the Slow Cooker" invaluable. It's the only book of this type that I've read that includes fundamentals in slow cooking which I found very helpful.
Michelle
Mar 19, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
A handful of delicious recipes for cooks who want the benefit of hands-off cooking but prefer to use whole foods and real ingredients.
Raelene
Jan 16, 2009 Raelene rated it it was amazing
Beautiful. Sumptuous. Only a few intense recipes - most are very easy/straightforward. A great upgrade to traditional crock-pot cooking.
lisa
Aug 08, 2013 lisa rated it it was ok
The only recipe I would be interested in trying is the Chicken in Saffron-Tomato Cream Sauce.
April
Nov 01, 2011 April rated it really liked it
have not tried the recipes yet, but found several that look good!
Quite simply put, crockpots are awesome.
Magda
Nov 01, 2013 Magda marked it as to-read
Recommended by Lori Branch.
Alice Weaver
Alice Weaver rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Melodi Foster
Melodi Foster marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Miesha
Miesha marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
ron steele
ron steele marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
kesi
kesi marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Joy Sherman
Joy Sherman marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Nicci Fenstmaker
Nicci Fenstmaker rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2016
Revonda Ellison
Revonda Ellison marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Momma
Momma added it
Sep 17, 2016
Jacqueline hogan
Jacqueline hogan marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
estrella Gonzalez
estrella Gonzalez rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2016
Arleen Stovall
Arleen Stovall marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Abziee Mccune
Abziee Mccune marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Perkine Denoyes
Perkine Denoyes marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Patty Baskin
Patty Baskin marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
  • The Whole Foods Market Cookbook: A Guide to Natural Foods with 350 Recipes
  • The Sriracha Cookbook: 50 "Rooster Sauce" Recipes that Pack a Punch
  • Betty Crocker's Slow Cooker Cookbook
  • The Mediterranean Slow Cooker
  • Everyday Food: Fresh Flavor Fast: 250 Easy, Delicious Recipes for Any Time of Day
  • Perfect One-Dish Dinners: All You Need for Easy Get-Togethers
  • Southern Plate: Classic Comfort Food That Makes Everyone Feel Like Family
  • The Country Cooking of Ireland
Lynn Alley began her career as a cooking teacher at a middle school, where she and her students gained fame for selling handmade, gourmet items at Neiman Marcus. Since then, she has taught the art of cooking throughout the United States and France. Lynn has written for the San Diego Union Tribune, the Los Angeles Times, Fine Cooking, and many other publications.
More about Lynn Alley...