Start by marking “Liftoff: The Story of America's Adventure in Space” as Want to Read:
Liftoff: The Story of America's Adventure in Space

Liftoff: The Story of America's Adventure in Space

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Published September 1989 by Grove Press (first published May 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Liftoff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liftoff

theduckthief
"The boundary line between a blue and white planet, and one that is gray and tan, is fragile. Is the riverbank a delight or an obscenity, a place for diving ducks or greasy truck tires? I cry that the technology that produced this marvelous machine we call Columbia leaves in its wake the detritus of a century of industrial abuse. It need not be that way. We can use technology to cleanse, to repair, to maintain – even as we build, as we spiral out into the universe."

Written by Michael Collins, th
Darkpool (protesting GR censorship)
Nov 05, 2008 Darkpool (protesting GR censorship) rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Geeks of every stripe.
I wish, I wish, I wish.... there was an updated edition of this book - one that didn't end 20 years ago, when the ISS was just still in the planning stage (couldn't help but smile as I read about a proposed Japanese laboratory, which is now a reality of course).
I found Collins's style of writing extremely readable - he has the knack of including technical detail without being either confusing or patronising. I squeed with delight at the sight of equations, and reference to derivatives! Woohoo!!
Bart Billard
Well-written, informative.
Laura Raider
recommended by an Expert
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Anna Nowka
Anna Nowka marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Liam Townsend
Liam Townsend marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Nienna
Nienna marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Jared Herrera
Jared Herrera marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Dani Laiho
Dani Laiho marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Rick
Rick marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Melody
Melody marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Space Traveler
Space Traveler marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Project Habu
Project Habu marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Matt Cooper-kay
Matt Cooper-kay marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Kaethe
Kaethe marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Andrea Day
Andrea Day marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
(2)Astronaut

Michael Collins is a former American astronaut and test pilot. Selected as part of the third group of fourteen astronauts in 1963, he flew in space twice. His first spaceflight was Gemini 10, in which he and command pilot John Young performed two rendezvous with
More about Michael Collins...
Carrying the Fire: An Astronaut's Journey Flying to the Moon: An Astronaut's Story Mission to Mars Space Machines and the People Who Build and Fly Them: And the People Who Build and Fly Them NASA/ART: 50 Years of Exploration