Start by marking “Anger: The Misunderstood Emotion” as Want to Read:
Anger: The Misunderstood Emotion

Anger: The Misunderstood Emotion

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  11 reviews
"This landmark book" (San Francisco Chronicle) dispels the common myths about the causes and uses of anger -- for example, that expressing anger is always good for you, that suppressing anger is always unhealthy, or that women have special "anger problems" that men do not. Dr. Carol Tavris expertly examines every facet of that fascinating emotion -- from genetics to stress ...more
Published September 15th 1989 by Touchstone (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Anger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anger

Certainly this book spoke to me as a therapist, someone who tries to help people who are dealing with strong feelings of all sorts but frequently anger. But it spoke to me on a personal level as well. I've been the unfortunate recipient of angry outbursts from people who seemed to believe that their feeling enraged justified their attacking me, and that their "need" to release their anger trumped my need for, well, basic respect and courtesy, to say the least. And over the course of my life, I'v ...more
If you want to know the real deal about anger- this book will REVEAL all! :) Very insightful- talks about the social aspects of anger, which I had never thought about. It gave me a new and bigger perspective which I love to to get.
Aaron Power Man
Its about feminists instead of anger, in which I highly say, no good. Still reading it but on the last chapter. Don't know why she has brought up women anger if both sexes gets angry. She seems to be studing more about how ladies cannot control their anger over men. I give this book thumbs down for jumping from what the title is supposed to be called. The last chapter was about angry kids, in which I'm single, so why would I care, good luck.
First I want to state that this is not a self-help book. Instead, it is a compilation and analysis of the research on anger. The book was published in 1989, but the topics and references still seem relevant. I enjoyed the beginning chapters in which research studies and findings were presented, as well as the comparisons of social norms of anger in different cultures. Overall, it was an interesting read.
Braden Canfield
I read this while preparing a class on violence. This is an extremely well researched, comprehensive and useful book. I particularly appreciated her analysis of how the misinformation of Freud's theories and the misunderstanding of Darwin's theories affected our cultural views regarding how anger works. She also does a fine job of exploring cultural contexts.
Nina Bradley
One of the most comprehensive and illuminating books I've read on anger. This isn't self-help, but there is so much helpful information that it might as well be. I got this from the library and found myself over and over wanting to highlight passages. I resisted that urge, but I WILL be buying this book so I can mark up my own copy.
David Becker
Really well-reasoned and original look at one of the basic human emotions. By thoroughly separating the feeling of anger from its expression, Tavris blows up a lot of common wisdom about the supposed danger of suppressing anger and comes up with common-sense guidelines for knowing what to do with your anger.
in our culture that sees Anger as means to "Act out" and to "suck it up" this book shows that there are healthy ways to express that anger. After reading the first chapter of showing how other cultures see and feel about anger, i wondered how "civilized" we were
Greg Collver
Pretty good book, easy to read. I enjoyed the casual reading until the last chapter "A Rage for Justice". Then I had to make a few notes (4 pages). A very good chapter!

Sep 11, 2010 Monica added it
excellent book on the misconception of anger in society.
A. Thurman
Jan 18, 2010 A. Thurman marked it as to-read
Oana marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Maria marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Camille Sayson
Camille Sayson marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
S.M.Howell marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Oana Caraman
Oana Caraman marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Iulia Galinescu
Iulia Galinescu marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Anca Muresan
Anca Muresan marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Tanveer marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Sydney is currently reading it
Oct 26, 2015
Naomi Deproost
Naomi Deproost marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Gitte marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Carolina marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Sergio marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Tony marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Ryan marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Yulia Polskaya
Yulia Polskaya marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
  • Zero Degrees of Empathy: A New Theory of Human Cruelty
  • The Marriage Clinic: A Scientifically Based Marital Therapy
  • The Intentional Family:: Simple Rituals to Strengthen Family Ties
  • Internal Family Systems Therapy
  • Warrior Girls: Protecting Our Daughters Against the Injury Epidemic in Women's Sports
  • Manufacturing Depression: The Secret History of a Modern Disease
  • Faith Shift: Finding Your Way Forward When Everything You Believe Is Coming Apart
  • Saving Normal: An Insider's Revolt Against Out-Of-Control Psychiatric Diagnosis, DSM-5, Big Pharma, and the Medicalization of Ordinary Life
  • The Editor's Lexicon: Essential Writing Terms for Novelists
Carol Tavris earned her Ph.D. in the interdisciplinary program in social psychology at the University of Michigan, and ever since has sought to bring research from the many fields of psychology to the public. She is author of The Mismeasure of Woman, which won the Distinguished Media Contribution Award from the American Association from Applied and Preventive Psychology, and the Heritage Publicati ...more
More about Carol Tavris...