Start by marking “Anger: The Misunderstood Emotion” as Want to Read:
Anger: The Misunderstood Emotion

Anger: The Misunderstood Emotion

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  127 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
"This landmark book" (San Francisco Chronicle) dispels the common myths about the causes and uses of anger -- for example, that expressing anger is always good for you, that suppressing anger is always unhealthy, or that women have special "anger problems" that men do not. Dr. Carol Tavris expertly examines every facet of that fascinating emotion -- from genetics to stress ...more
Published September 15th 1989 by Touchstone (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Anger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anger

K
Certainly this book spoke to me as a therapist, someone who tries to help people who are dealing with strong feelings of all sorts but frequently anger. But it spoke to me on a personal level as well. I've been the unfortunate recipient of angry outbursts from people who seemed to believe that their feeling enraged justified their attacking me, and that their "need" to release their anger trumped my need for, well, basic respect and courtesy, to say the least. And over the course of my life, I'v ...more
April
Aug 04, 2013 April rated it really liked it
If you want to know the real deal about anger- this book will REVEAL all! :) Very insightful- talks about the social aspects of anger, which I had never thought about. It gave me a new and bigger perspective which I love to to get.
Monica
Feb 22, 2016 Monica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: english, mind
I have to read this book again and take notes this time. It is definitely enlightening and should be a must read to all of us. It seems that as grown-ups we have to be responsible people without having PMS or alcohol or whatever to blame for the fog that covers so conveniently our brains sometimes :)
Aaron
May 29, 2014 Aaron rated it it was ok
Its about feminists instead of anger, in which I highly say, no good. Still reading it but on the last chapter. Don't know why she has brought up women anger if both sexes gets angry. She seems to be studing more about how ladies cannot control their anger over men. I give this book thumbs down for jumping from what the title is supposed to be called. The last chapter was about angry kids, in which I'm single, so why would I care, good luck.
Sandy123
Apr 07, 2013 Sandy123 rated it really liked it
First I want to state that this is not a self-help book. Instead, it is a compilation and analysis of the research on anger. The book was published in 1989, but the topics and references still seem relevant. I enjoyed the beginning chapters in which research studies and findings were presented, as well as the comparisons of social norms of anger in different cultures. Overall, it was an interesting read.
Braden Canfield
Nov 30, 2009 Braden Canfield rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
I read this while preparing a class on violence. This is an extremely well researched, comprehensive and useful book. I particularly appreciated her analysis of how the misinformation of Freud's theories and the misunderstanding of Darwin's theories affected our cultural views regarding how anger works. She also does a fine job of exploring cultural contexts.
Nina Bradley
Oct 05, 2013 Nina Bradley rated it really liked it
One of the most comprehensive and illuminating books I've read on anger. This isn't self-help, but there is so much helpful information that it might as well be. I got this from the library and found myself over and over wanting to highlight passages. I resisted that urge, but I WILL be buying this book so I can mark up my own copy.
David Becker
May 19, 2013 David Becker rated it it was amazing
Really well-reasoned and original look at one of the basic human emotions. By thoroughly separating the feeling of anger from its expression, Tavris blows up a lot of common wisdom about the supposed danger of suppressing anger and comes up with common-sense guidelines for knowing what to do with your anger.
Uriha
Jun 12, 2009 Uriha rated it it was amazing
in our culture that sees Anger as means to "Act out" and to "suck it up" this book shows that there are healthy ways to express that anger. After reading the first chapter of showing how other cultures see and feel about anger, i wondered how "civilized" we were
Greg Collver
Feb 23, 2011 Greg Collver rated it really liked it
Pretty good book, easy to read. I enjoyed the casual reading until the last chapter "A Rage for Justice". Then I had to make a few notes (4 pages). A very good chapter!

Monica
Sep 11, 2010 Monica added it
excellent book on the misconception of anger in society.
A. Thurman
Jan 18, 2010 A. Thurman marked it as to-read
Library
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Deepak Malik
Deepak Malik marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Shelley
Shelley rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Lori
Lori rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Saki Georgiadis
Saki Georgiadis marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Paul Franklin
Paul Franklin marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Karla
Karla marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Daniel Cornwall
Daniel Cornwall marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Deepika
Deepika marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Dawn Serra
Dawn Serra marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Fats
Fats marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Marija Jure
Marija Jure marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Cassie
Cassie rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Yulia
Yulia marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
  • Habit
  • Helping Teens Who Cut: Understanding and Ending Self-Injury
  • Neurotic Styles
  • Me, Myself, and Us: The Science of Personality and the Art of Well-Being
  • The Money Book for Freelancers, Part-Timers, and the Self-Employed: The only personal finance system for people with not-so-regular jobs
  • A Secure Base: Parent-Child Attachment and Healthy Human Development
  • The War Against Women
  • The Restoration of the Self
  • The Student's Guide to Cognitive Neuroscience
  • Margaret Wise Brown: Awakened By the Moon
  • Madness Explained: Psychosis and Human Nature
  • 101 Tough Conversations to Have with Employees: A Manager's Guide to Addressing Performance, Conduct, and Discipline Challenges
  • Freud and Man's Soul: An Important Re-Interpretation of Freudian Theory
  • Nonprofit Kit For Dummies (For Dummies (Lifestyles Paperback))
Carol Tavris earned her Ph.D. in the interdisciplinary program in social psychology at the University of Michigan, and ever since has sought to bring research from the many fields of psychology to the public. She is author of The Mismeasure of Woman, which won the Distinguished Media Contribution Award from the American Association from Applied and Preventive Psychology, and the Heritage Publicati ...more
More about Carol Tavris...