Anger: The Misunderstood Emotion

Anger: The Misunderstood Emotion

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  10 reviews
"This landmark book" (San Francisco Chronicle) dispels the common myths about the causes and uses of anger -- for example, that expressing anger is always good for you, that suppressing anger is always unhealthy, or that women have special "anger problems" that men do not. Dr. Carol Tavris expertly examines every facet of that fascinating emotion -- from genetics to stress...more
Published September 15th 1989 by Touchstone (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Anger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anger

Aaron
Its about feminists instead of anger, in which I highly say, no good. Still reading it but on the last chapter. Don't know why she has brought up women anger if both sexes gets angry. She seems to be studing more about how ladies cannot control their anger over men. I give this book thumbs down for jumping from what the title is supposed to be called. The last chapter was about angry kids, in which I'm single, so why would I care, good luck.
Sandy123
First I want to state that this is not a self-help book. Instead, it is a compilation and analysis of the research on anger. The book was published in 1989, but the topics and references still seem relevant. I enjoyed the beginning chapters in which research studies and findings were presented, as well as the comparisons of social norms of anger in different cultures. Overall, it was an interesting read.
Braden Canfield
I read this while preparing a class on violence. This is an extremely well researched, comprehensive and useful book. I particularly appreciated her analysis of how the misinformation of Freud's theories and the misunderstanding of Darwin's theories affected our cultural views regarding how anger works. She also does a fine job of exploring cultural contexts.
Nina Bradley
One of the most comprehensive and illuminating books I've read on anger. This isn't self-help, but there is so much helpful information that it might as well be. I got this from the library and found myself over and over wanting to highlight passages. I resisted that urge, but I WILL be buying this book so I can mark up my own copy.
David Becker
Really well-reasoned and original look at one of the basic human emotions. By thoroughly separating the feeling of anger from its expression, Tavris blows up a lot of common wisdom about the supposed danger of suppressing anger and comes up with common-sense guidelines for knowing what to do with your anger.
Uriha
in our culture that sees Anger as means to "Act out" and to "suck it up" this book shows that there are healthy ways to express that anger. After reading the first chapter of showing how other cultures see and feel about anger, i wondered how "civilized" we were
April
If you want to know the real deal about anger- this book will REVEAL all! :) Very insightful- talks about the social aspects of anger, which I had never thought about. It gave me a new and bigger perspective which I love to to get.
Greg Collver
Pretty good book, easy to read. I enjoyed the casual reading until the last chapter "A Rage for Justice". Then I had to make a few notes (4 pages). A very good chapter!

Monica
Sep 11, 2010 Monica added it
excellent book on the misconception of anger in society.
A.
Jan 18, 2010 A. marked it as to-read
Library
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
miksfiks
miksfiks marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Efi
Efi marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Bhags
Bhags marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Swamp Ophelia
Swamp Ophelia marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Jay Smoke
Jay Smoke marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Allira
Allira marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
WhatAnnaWrites
WhatAnnaWrites marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
jeffrey
jeffrey marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Kristin Reickard
Kristin Reickard marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Hussein
Hussein marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Alleta Baltes
Alleta Baltes marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Rpp7
Rpp7 marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Carol Tavris earned her Ph.D. in the interdisciplinary program in social psychology at the University of Michigan, and ever since has sought to bring research from the many fields of psychology to the public. She is author of The Mismeasure of Woman, which won the Distinguished Media Contribution Award from the American Association from Applied and Preventive Psychology, and the Heritage Publicati...more
More about Carol Tavris...
Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me): Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts Mismeasure of Woman: Why Women Are Not the Better Sex, the Inferior Sex, or the Opposite Sex Psychology in Perspective Psychobabble and Biobunk: Using Psychology to Think Critically about Issues in the News The Longest War: Sex Differences in Perspective