Escaping Plato's Cave: How America's Blindness to the Rest of the World Threatens Our Survival

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Cave Blindness

Like Plato's cave-dwellers who onlysaw inaccurate reflections of reality on the wall, Americahas been blinded to dangerous realities inside and outside our borders, argues award-winning journalist Mort Rosenblum. Our ignorance is not just deplorable, it is literally killing us--and others.

Rosenblum--who has reported from more than one hundred countries, many...more
Published October 2nd 2007 by St. Martin's Press

Brett
Jan 26, 2008 Brett rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone - even if you disagree with everything in its pages
Recommended to Brett by: heard about it on NPR
"Across what we call the Third World, few people want to be like us. They might envy our stuff. They might want to eat it or wear it on their feet. But most simply want a fairer shake so they can stay home with their own stuff and be like themselves."

This book made me want to pull my head out of the sand, at least to always try and understand the other side of a conflict. It's easy to turn a blind eye to problems in the world that seem too big and depressing to even learn about. It's easier to h...more
Cheryl
High level overview.
Sue
I found so many things thought provoking in this book. One, Bill Gates was the CIA deputy director who insulated the first President Bush, then a vice president, from the Iran-Contra scandal. And just think, he's still working.
Rosenblum focuses on education and reliable sources of reporting in a world of shrinking investigative foreign reporters. His recommendations of reporters and websites are numerous.
It's a good read and the recommendations of the last chapter offer hope in the face of tough...more
Joshua Mark
I was very excited by the premise of the book but the writing was labored and tiresome. I couldn't finish it.
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Susan Gramling
Susan Gramling marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2013
Mark Ó Congalaig
Mark Ó Congalaig marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2013
Bigkrl
Bigkrl marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2013
Rainey
Rainey marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2013
Eagan
Eagan added it
Apr 23, 2013
Andre
Andre marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2013
Maphead
Maphead marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2011
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2011
Tom
Tom added it
Jul 24, 2011
Lauren Albert
Lauren Albert marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2010
Calista
Calista marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2010
Redbeard5451
Redbeard5451 marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2009
Matthew Benson
Matthew Benson marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2008
Chocolate: A Bittersweet Saga of Dark and Light The Secret Life of the Seine Olives: The Life and Lore of a Noble Fruit A Goose in Toulouse: and Other Culinary Adventures in France Little Bunch of Madmen: Elements of Global Reporting