Start by marking “All That Happened At Number 26” as Want to Read:
All That Happened At Number 26

All That Happened At Number 26

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Heartwarming and written with the author’s trademark candor, this memoir reflects on a comedian’s decision to move into a new home with her husband, his circus equipment, a king-sized futon, no savings, and a newborn baby. Following the birth of the couple’s second child, this recollection details how the husband lost his eyebrows, the circus equipment multiplied, and the ...more
Published November 4th 2008 by Hardie Grant Books (first published November 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about All That Happened At Number 26, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All That Happened At Number 26

Lisa
Oct 08, 2012 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Allison
This really was a laugh out loud book. I had to keep apologising to people around me for laughing. I could hear Denise Scott's voice in my head and really enjoyed the journey she took me on with her family. This is a very honest and humorous reflection of Denise's life. I really enjoyed it. An easy read.
Jacqui Gordon
I keep seeing Denise Scott on Spicks & Specks and other comedy shows and I find her to be hilarious so I decided to read her biography. I found it to be very honest and funny account of her life and her family's. It was interesting to read how she put together her stand up acts and just how 'real' the antics were. The ups and downs of her relationships with her husband, her career and her life were described in unflinching and revealing ways and it was a very fascinating read!
Dar
I love Denise Scott, this was a funny & pleasant insight into her personal life.
Meg Dunley
A great light hearted read by Denise Scott that really could have been about what is happening in my house (except without Denise's great humour). A really well written and very funny book. The book is basically a memoir of her and her family's life whilst they lived at Number 26 and all of the goings on there. The ups and the downs, and the ins and the outs of life whilst they grew up. The crazy times of being with incredibly creative parents, but incredibly poor. Parents putting up with each o ...more
Lee
I unashamedly adore Denise Scott. Every appearance she makes on tv has me in hysterics. So I had high expectations for this book and was worried I might be disappointed. I needn't have worried. This book is a hilarious read. Denise's world is very typical Australian. Her trials and tribulations with her children, her marriage, her mother and her job seem so familiar (especially to this middle aged female Australian mother). My favourite section was where she 'gives up' smoking! So funny. There a ...more
Helena
Laughed so hard I could barely breath. Laugh! Did I what ?
Maggie
Disappointing. I have seen the author Denise Scott appear a number of times on various ABC TV shows, and generally find her quite appealing. Her form of comedy / stand up isn't offensive, more reflective on day to day events, a narrative of her life. The book is the same. I think it would be better to hear the stories as a stand up routine - there aren't many if any laugh out loud moments in the book, but I can imagine finding the tales funnier if she were to tell them herself.
Sharon
OMG, you must read this book, for the laugh's and for seeing that this woman can write as amusingly as she can tell a story in her stand up routines.

Loved this book, so glad I spent the money to buy it, and will be pushing it onto my friends as a "you have to read this"

I loved her tales of being a parent, and the fact that I could so relate to them.

Great book!!
Elise
Hilarious and touching, Dennis Scott really captures her younger years of meeting her husband and the changes posed by family and long term relationship, the growing up of her kids, and how she fell into performing joining the circus and then on to stand up comedy. Her writing style is as dry and witty as she is in her stand up making truthful and funny observations about her life.
Katherine
a very enjoyable, easy read. having heard denise doing stand up comedy its easy to imagine her voice telling the stories which she does with so much humour while not avoiding the difficult issues of her household. no flowery language just an entertaining way of looking at life & coping with the struggles. definitely recommend.
Sasha
Very honest account of life from dennis scott as wife mother and stand up comedian. Always entertaining but not always laugh out loud. With many moments that I'm sure stay at home mums can relate too
Kylie Holcombe
A very funny book, I quite often laughed out loud reading this. Denise Scott really knows how to tell a good yarn that is both funny and sometimes packed with emotion. I hope she writes more!
Paul Hancock
Very like a chat with an old friend who is great storyteller. Denise takes through her life in a "warts and all" memoir. She never spares herself in this wickedly funny narrative.
Amanda Page
Denise Scott's voice rings through loud and clear; candid and funny and moving and hilarious.
Deb Short
Very funny, lots of laughing out loud. Def. up there with "Dear Fatty" (Dawn French).
Nettie
Laugh out loud funny. When I read it I could hear her voice in my head.
Judy Nickless
Honestly funny and funnily honest
Angela
A comedic tale of an eccentric family home. Very chuckle-worthy :)
Christine
I really enjoyed this book.
Leanne
A great, light, fast read.
Zara
Zara marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Rachie
Rachie added it
Aug 31, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Denise is a well respected stand-up comedian and has appeared on numerous Australian television comedy shows. She has an infectious love of life and a wonderful voice.

i>Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thread for more information.
More about Denise Scott...