Start by marking “Middle Egyptian: An Introduction to the Language and Culture of Hieroglyphs” as Want to Read:
Middle Egyptian: An Introduction to the Language and Culture of Hieroglyphs

Middle Egyptian: An Introduction to the Language and Culture of Hieroglyphs

This is an introduction to the writing system of ancient Egypt and the language of hieroglyphic texts. It contains twenty-six lessons, exercises (with answers), a list of hieroglyphic signs, and a dictionary, as well as twenty-five essays on the most important aspects of ancient Egyptian history, society, religion and literature. It also offers scholars of linguistics a co ...more
Published November 28th 1999 by Cambridge University Press

To ask other readers questions about Middle Egyptian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Middle Egyptian

André
Aug 20, 2008 André rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to André by: Thomas Goldammer
Yay! This book was recommended to me by Thomas Goldammer, so I bought it on eBay, and it seems like a really good grammar of the Middle Egyptian language. I already read (half of) Gardiner's grammar, so I already know quite some things... I was told that this book is easier to understand and – what might be more important – it sheds a more modern light on this ancient languages. I immediately started reading it.

I just declared this book as finished, because I probably won't read the remaining ch
Shandeed Wasfy
Mar 17, 2017 Shandeed Wasfy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
an amazing book which helped me a lot in my studies of ancient egyptian language
Brett
Dec 01, 2012 Brett rated it it was amazing
I rated this book for its usefulness to the neophyte. Armed with a nominal knowledge of ancient Egyptian history, I was able to surpass my expectations for myself. Lessons are squarely organized and in a logical progression, no mucking about. Mastery of the basic consonant combinations is, as the book states, necessary. I made flash cards. Mind you, I did not take a class. This book got me pretty excited. Enriched my understanding of Egyptian history and my experiences in Egyptian tombs and Amer ...more
Michal Paszkiewicz
Jun 03, 2016 Michal Paszkiewicz rated it it was amazing
An excellent book, starting with the assumption that you know nothing about Hieroglyphs, then teaching you everything you need to know to start translating existing texts.

The book has lessons, which are understandable, but require a high degree of concentrations. It also has exercises (which are very important to complete to keep up with the lessons) and essays, which are very interesting and help you get an understanding of what we know about Egyptian culture and how we have found out about it.
James F
Feb 04, 2015 James F rated it liked it
An advanced textbook of the ancient Egyptian literary language. Many popular books tell you how to read the common inscriptions; this one would let you read all the literature, if you really studied it (it was beyond my level, so I just read it to get an idea of how the language worked.) It was interesting in that Egyptian is very different from any of the languages I have studied (which are all Indo-European.) The biggest problem is that since the Egyptians didn't write vowels, most of the form ...more
Karen Hauck
Mar 05, 2015 Karen Hauck rated it it was amazing
Undoubtedly one of my favorite books! It's a text book. Not easy reading! I was a part of GlyphStudy2005; an online group who wanted to learn Middle
Egyptian hieroglyphs. It took a couple of years to get all the way through the book. (This was completely new to all of us!) but some of us made it to the end. It is very well organized, using a logical progression through the parts of speech, sentence structure, etc.
I think it is the only really comprehensive text book since Gardiner!!
I wore out
Teango
Jan 02, 2016 Teango rated it it was amazing
A real treasure trove of topics on Middle Egyptian language, people, and culture! This is, by far, one of the most thorough and enlightening books out there on this period of Ancient Egypt, which fills in many of the gaps (particularly cultural) left behind by other course books that teach Middle Egyptian.
Leah Bender
Jul 09, 2013 Leah Bender rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only reason this received four stars instead of five is that there are some egregious misprints.
John Ledesma
Jul 14, 2010 John Ledesma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: egyptian
Received July 13, 2010 from Amazon.
Lucy
Apr 03, 2007 Lucy rated it it was ok
Superficially user-friendly, but not all that well organized. Maybe use as a supplement to Gardiner, but never as a substitute.
David
Apr 23, 2008 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: egyptology
One of the best modern grammars, Allen's text is well conceived and accessible without compromising the language.
Leondis Jones
Apr 30, 2012 Leondis Jones rated it it was amazing
It took me 3 months to finish this book, but it was worth it!
Oct 13, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I find this easier to use than Gardiner and is especially good for your first year of Middle Egyptian.

Adriana
Adriana rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2014
Shelly
Shelly rated it really liked it
May 14, 2015
Constance Lapsati
Constance Lapsati rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2013
Hossam Abdellahomer
Hossam Abdellahomer rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2013
Ma
Ma rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2012
James Jewell
James Jewell rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2015
Ana
Ana rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2012
Ioet
Ioet rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2012
Freya Roberts
Freya Roberts rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2012
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2013
Jordan
Jordan rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2012
Michael Towns
Michael Towns rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2015
ChrisP
ChrisP rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2015
Aaron Smith
Aaron Smith rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Vickie
Vickie rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2009
Adrik
Adrik rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs: A Step-by-Step Guide to Teach Yourself
  • Egyptian Grammar
  • Egyptian Language: Easy Lessons in Egyptian Hieroglyphics
  • The Literature of Ancient Egypt: An Anthology of Stories, Instructions, Stelae, Autobiographies, and Poetry
  • Ancient Egyptian Literature: Volume I: The Old and Middle Kingdoms
  • The Complete Tutankhamun: The King, the Tomb, the Royal Treasure
  • The Tale of Sinuhe: And Other Ancient Egyptian Poems 1940-1640 B.C.
  • The Keys of Egypt: The Race to Crack the Hieroglyph Code
  • Hatchepsut: The Female Pharaoh
  • The Complete Pyramids: Solving the Ancient Mysteries
  • A History of Ancient Egypt
  • Religion and Magic in Ancient Egypt
James P. Allen (Ph. D., Univ. of Chicago, 1981), Wilbour Prof. of Egyptology, Brown University, has published extensively on ancient Egyptian language, religion, and history.

Allen, James P., 1945-, Library of Congress Authorities
More about James P. Allen...