A Painted House

A Painted House

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  46,571 ratings  ·  2,478 reviews
Until that September of 1952, Luke Chandler had never kept a secret or told a single lie. But in the long, hot summer of his seventh year, two groups of migrant workers -- and two very dangerous men -- came through the Arkansas Delta to work the Chandler cotton farm. And suddenly mysteries are flooding Luke's world.

A brutal murder leaves the town seething in gossip and sus...more
Published February 3rd 2004 by Bantam (first published February 2001)

The Help by Kathryn StockettTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk KiddFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggGarden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen
Quirky Southern Fiction
17th out of 528 books — 1,340 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëWuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
Best Books with Rural Settings
47th out of 878 books — 794 voters

More lists with this book...

Gina
Mar 21, 2008 Gina rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Young and Old alike
Recommended to Gina by: John Grisham on Bill Moyers show
I learned that John Grisham should write more books in this genre because this is his best work....forget all those clients, partners, pelicans. One night, with a bunch of old friends in an apartment above Times Square, we tuned in to tv before turning in and The Bill Moyers Report was being aired; his guest was John Grisham. From his first responses, it was obvious that he possessed "gravitas" beyond his public persona.
Grisham grew up in Arkansas, the son of a cotton farmer, and went on to L...more
Amy
Oct 03, 2007 Amy rated it 1 of 5 stars Recommends it for: someone who enjoys a lack of a plot
This was such a horrible book! It had potential - I kept thinking the story would come around but once I got 2/3 way through the book, I knew there was no room left for a story. I finished it anyway and was really disappointed. There is absolutely NO story. Nothing. We are introduced to this family and the other characters for no reason. It's almost like the author had great ideas for characters but couldn't come up with a story line.

If you've never read Grisham and this is your first book - PLE...more
Bailey Jane
Nov 24, 2008 Bailey Jane rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: everyone ages 12 to avanced years
Recommended to Bailey Jane by: Craig Sherry
For being from John Grisham, this was such a great book! For a long time I've enjoyed his legal thrillers, but after a while I suspected each book would be exactly the same as the last with the only difference being the plot. Granted that's one of the reasons I liked his novels, because I could trust they would be consistently good. When this book first came out I couldn't wait to read it and I fell in love with his ability to tell a heartfelt, meaningful story having nothing to do with law. I l...more
Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh
Aug 01, 2012 Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Grisham fans who want a change of pace
I was wary when this book came out - doubting Grisham could pull off historical fiction. Well he absolutely nailed it. It’s obvious Grisham drew from his personal experiences growing up in rural Arkansas. This is a heart-wrenching story of an impoverished farming community. It’s got it all, destitute share-croppers, migrant farm workers, a sweet young boy who lives for baseball, a devastating flood and a mentally unhinged murderer thrown in for good measure.
I wonder if Grisham had written this...more
Janelle
I liked this book. There isn't any wild climatic events that you may find in other Grisham books. This is a simple novel of a simple life as told by a seven year old boy. Still, Grisham manages to capture the feelings of the times; a poor family in the south who hire workers to harvest their cotton and the drama that ensues with these "lower class" folk. I can see why a lot of Grisham fans wouldn't like this, it's a departure from his normal genre.
Mary
Aug 28, 2008 Mary rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mary by: Coreen Schnepf
This book came to me very highly recommended. I had two friends who really really liked it and just knew I would love the story too. I suppose if it had been cleaned up a bit, I probably would have liked it more. The characters were engaging enough although the plot did seem to drag a little bit and left you feeling like the auther was searching for a plot in a rambling sort of way. I had a hard time with the language and violence; I'm a wouss I guess. I also couldn't get past the feeling that I...more
Antof9
This is NOT your father's Grisham!

From the back cover: Until that September of 1952, Luke Chandler had never kept a secret or told a single lie. This is an interesting description that tells nothing and everything about the book :)

First, the only thing about this book that is Grisham-like is that it takes place in the South. Other than that, you'd never know who wrote this book if his name wasn't on the cover.

In some ways, it reminded me of a book I read in high school -- John Steinbeck's The Gr...more
Stephen
I read one review stating that the title of this book should have been "Watching Paint Dry". While it's not as exciting and riveting as Grisham's other works, and it took me about six chapters to get into the story, it was still an enjoyable book.

Set in 1952 Arkansas, 7-year-old Luke Chandler is forced to grow up quickly when he becomes exposed to several adult situations. It seems as though everyone in the story has a secret to keep and they all manage to confide in Luke.

The yearly ritual of h...more
Maciek
"The hill people and the Mexicans arrived on the same day. It was a Wednesday, early in September 1952. The Cardinals were five games behind the Dodgers with three weeks to go, and the season looked hopeless. The cotton, however, was waist-high to my father, over my head, and he and my grandfather could be heard before supper whispering words that were seldom heard. It could be a `good crop.'"

This was a really pleasant surprise. When asked about John Grisham, most of us immediately think of his...more
 Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ
Entah mengapa, diantara segudang buku Grisham, buku-bukunya yang tidak bertema hukum justru yang menjadi favorit saya-kecuali yang 'The Rainmaker' dan 'A Time To Kill'--
Seperti halnya di buku 'The Bleacher', dengan lihainya Grisham mengaduk emosi pembaca dengan kehidupan getir sang tokoh utama. berbeda dengan 'The Bleacher' dimana tokoh utamanya adalah mantan pemain baseball terkenal yang kemudian hidup 'gagal', di buku APH, tokoh tamanya adalah sang tokoh cilik yang baru berusia 7 tahun, Luke C...more
Daniel Powell
John Grisham's novel A Painted House met with mixed reviews when it was first published in 2000. Many derided his pacing, one of the work's greatest strengths. And some thought he was in over his head after fleeing the safe harbour of the legal thriller that he had come to dominate.

I really like the book. Told in the first-person through the eyes of seven-year-old Luke Chandler, A Painted House chronicles three generations of cotton farmers and their trials in Arkansas in the 1950s. The story is...more
Crystal Craig
This was the first John Grisham book I’ve read in years. It was different than what we normally see from him; it wasn’t a legal thriller. I really enjoyed it. It wasn’t fast-paced; it’s not the type of story that’s meant to move along quickly. It was a realistic story about the everyday life of seven-year-old, Luke. He lives with his parents and grandparents on a cotton farm in a small town in rural Arkansas. They wake before the crack of dawn – tend to the animals, eat breakfast – then it’s off...more
Scott Rhee
"A Painted House" was my favorite of John Grisham's novels. Grisham's depictions of life in the '50s on a farm reminded me of one of my favorite authors, John Steinbeck. Grisham's prose is sparse but beautiful in this story, which involves a murder, but is mostly a coming-of-age story of the young protagonist.
Ginny Messina
This is not the usual John Grisham fare, but instead is a beautiful story told with great warmth and compassion. I have always enjoyed Grisham's books as good airplane reads--but never expected that he would write a book that I would list as one of my all-time favorites.
Neva
I picked this book up at a library book sale, and didn't have very high expectations for it. But after the first few pages I was hooked. It's a great sweet story.
Dawn
I don't normally read Grisham, he's a great writer just not my typical genre. This, however, was an awesome story. I loved the whole experience of entering the world of Luke Chandler in 1951. It was a tremendously entertaining story. Well written, with so much detail and humor, realistic voices and a simpler time that was somehow made to be full of drama and suspense. I felt this was one of the best stories I can recall written from this era and brought so fully into focus.

Luke Chandler, 7 years...more
Johnny
Such a well-written, engaging book. As the back cover suggests, A Painted House reminded me of books like To Kill a Mockingbird and Huck Finn. A boy from Arkansas (who loves the Cardinals and baseball and dreams of moving to St. Louis, all pluses in my book) grows up living the hard life on a cotton farm in the 50s. The book paints a vivid picture of what that common life might be like, with coming of age stories, family drama, and interpersonal conflicts, all while throwing in the less common i...more
Patsy
This was my first book read by John Grisham and still is one of my all time favorites!!!

I listed to the audio version of the book.

It is full of suspense, drama and humor and there is not a lawyer in site. Written from the viewpoint of 7yr old Luke who is the Chandler family's son, the book covers a season of cotton picking along with all of the details and drama the cotton farmer experiences as a result of mother nature.

The family hires a crew of Mexicans and "hill people" to pick the cotton f...more
Carol
I seldom give five stars; they must be earned by the author's offerings. This book supplied all the necessary plot ingredients to satisfy the curiosities of this avid, mature reader. (No desire to see the movie, it could not possibly do this story justice.) Its not for the squeamish or sheltered reading audience. A realistic slice of life, poor/destitute Arkansas folks during the early Fifties, well-described and believable.
Betsy
Found this in the lobby of a hotel in South Africa, and only read it because it was the only English book there (it was a hotel that catered to the Dutch, who LOOOVE South Africa.) The book is okay, but I probably wouldn't have stuck with it if I had other books to choose from. It's pretty long without much of a storyline.
Brandon
Alex Telander
“The hill people and the Mexicans arrived on the same day. It was a Wednesday, early in September 1952. The Cardinals were five games behind the Dodgers with three weeks to go, and the season looked hopeless. The cotton, however, was waist-high to my father, over my head, and he and my grandfather could be heard before supper whispering words that were seldom heard. It could be a ‘good crop.’”

This is how John Grisham begins his latest novel, A Painted House. Notice anything different? No lawyers...more
Melissa
Salymar
John Grisham is VERY famous for writing novels that include law firms, lawyers, politics and the like, but this time I found myself contemplating on the simplicity of this novel.
In fact, I really felt like I was trying out a new author because he didn't include any legal business and lawyers in this novel @.@ But even without those things, I still think 'A Painted House' deserves a favorable VERDICT. ;)

Over-all, even though I was a little dismayed, the book still has the witty suspense you'll f...more
Kingfan30
I'm glad I started to read this whilst visiting America. Although we were in a completely different state we did drive through farming areas (fruit rather than cotton) and it helped me to picture the vastness and the lovely neat rows described in the book.

It is not fast paced by any means, and although there is two murders neither are tackled from a legal point of view. It is quite a gentle story seen from the point of view of a 7 year old, although he felt older at times (do boys of that age r...more
Emily
I loved this book! Told through the eyes of a very wise seven year old boy (who realistically should have been more like 10 or 11 -- he's too mature and thoughtful for seven, I think), this is the story of one fall cotton harvest season in 1952 Arkansas. The motley cast of characters include "hill people" and Mexican migrant workers, who come to help with the cotton harvest, the multi-generational Chandler family, who live on and are renting the farmland, and other local families. Grisham's char...more
Angel Serrano
En el corazón de Arkansas la vida es muy simple: una buena cosecha te permite seguir tirando, una mala cosecha es un desastre que no tiene remedio. En los inocentes ojos de un niño de siete años veremos el drama del Sur con la inmigración, la incultura y el formidable desarrollo económico de postguerra entremezclarse.
Annanya Pandey
Everything was normal in Luke Chandler's life until one summer when two families with two very dangerous people arrive at the Chandler farm for picking cotton. Until that summer Luke had never told a single lie or hidden a secret from his family but he came under the influence of a very pretty girl. From that moment on Luke's life was upside down. He had witnessed two murders and hadn't told anyone. He had told many lies and hadn't owned up and this was too much for a seven- year - old to keep....more
Jo Anne
I've never been a fan of Grisham's. I saw a couple of movies based on his books and found them confusing. The one book I did read, at the insistence of my boss, was The Chamber, and I couldn't wait to hand it back to him with a vague, "Uh, thanks for lending this to me."

So why I picked up A Painted House, I have no idea. Maybe it was the $5 a bag library sale that inspired me. Maybe because it had nothing to do with lawyers.

I very much enjoyed this book, except for the baseball descriptions, sin...more
Imas
Membaca buku ini mengingatkan ku pada perdebatan yang sering terjadi pada soal bagus tidaknya sebuah buku. Bagi orang tertentu sebuah buku bisa dibilang bagus banget, masterpiece tapi pada orang lain belum tentu, malah mungkin dinilai jelek, memuakkan, buang-buang waktu dan lain-lain, dan lain-lain.
Apakah karena penilaian orang lain bagus, maka kita juga harus bilang wow gitu...atau karena dinilai jelek kita juga harus ikut maki-maki....kalo saya bilang sih ....tentu tidak. Setiap penilaian terh...more
What's The Name o...: Little boy lived on farm, Mexicans worked in fields, he witnessed a murder, he rode to town with grandpa [s] 8 33 Dec 30, 2013 04:00AM
A Painted House Themes 5 185 Oct 06, 2013 06:01PM
Is there still a market for southern literature? 45 45 Aug 25, 2013 09:58PM
Finished it in just a couple of days. 38 140 Mar 15, 2013 06:21PM
the setting and plot 2 58 Mar 14, 2013 04:57PM
  • Wish You Well
  • Legacy of Silence
  • The Jester
  • Timepiece (The Christmas Box Trilogy #2)
  • San Andreas
  • Day Of Confession
  • Ordinary Heroes
  • The Sum of All Fears (Jack Ryan, #6)
  • P is for Peril (Kinsey Millhone, #16)
  • My Gal Sunday
  • Silent Witness (Tony Lord #2)
  • The Ghost
  • Hong Kong (Jake Grafton, #8)
  • Undue Influence (Paul Madriani, #3)
  • White Doves At Morning
  • Palindrome
  • An Accidental Woman
  • The Evening News
"Long before his name became synonymous with the modern legal thriller, he was working 60-70 hours a week at a small Southaven, Mississippi law practice, squeezing in time before going to the office and during courtroom recesses to work on his hobby—writing his first novel.

Born on February 8, 1955 in Jonesboro, Arkansas, to a construction worker and a homemaker, John Grisham as a child dreamed of...more
More about John Grisham...
A Time to Kill (Jake Brigance, #1) The Firm The Client The Pelican Brief The Runaway Jury

“I looked at her and tried to speak, but all I could think about was how shocked she'd be if I said what I was thinking.” 35 likes
“I was tired of secrets, tired of seeing things I was not supposed to see. And so I just cried.” 28 likes