Start by marking “Final Arrangements: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Final Arrangements: A Novel

Final Arrangements: A Novel

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Ever since his parents' funeral, Casey Kight felt a comfort and ease among morticians that he knew no where else in the world. He decided right then, at the age of nine, what he wanted to be when he grew up...an undertaker. The day he turned twenty-one, Casey joined the ranks of Morton-Albright, a family owned and operated mortuary, in the small Florida town of Angel Shoal ...more
Published August 5th 2003 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published March 15th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Final Arrangements, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Final Arrangements

Katharine
I picked this book up because I am systematically reading through my public library's fiction shelves. I don't read the back jacket, I don't do any research, I just put six books in my bag, by six different authors and head to the front desk. Then, each book gets 50 pages (enough for one evening) if I like it, I keep going. If I don't, back to the library it goes. Something should be said about this book when I checked what page I was on, and how far I had to go, and I was on page 75. VERY.GOOD. ...more
Marvin
A young boy whose parents are killed in a plane crash is comforted at the funeral home. When he tells the funeral director he wants to work there, he's told to return when he's 21. He does return on his 21st birthday, is taken on as an apprentice, & adopted into the family of the family-owned & family-operated business, who quickly recognize his gift for the work. He falls in love with the director's daughter & gets involved in an effort to save the family-owned business from the evi ...more
Meredith
Won't rate this because it was several years ago, but I remember it fondly, so I must have enjoyed it. Vague memories of being impressed/intrigued by all the details of the mortuary business and also that it is quite funny. Will recommend it to someone wants an offbeat, fun read.
SJ
I read this book because I've worked in the funeral service industry and wanted to see if the author gave true descriptions of the business. He did! Plus I found myself laughing out loud because of all the antics that go on. If you want to see the lighter side of funeral service pick this up.
Carin
This will sound strange but this is a respectful, and hysterical novel about the funeral home business.
Larigoodson
Who knew working in a funeral home could be so mysterious and funny?
Sandy
Young man goes to work for a funeral home and the strange family who owns it.
Margaret M.
The author's knowledge of the old-school family-owned funeral parlor puts an slightly gritty edge to a hilarious narrative. I found myself laughing aloud on several chapters. I need a laugh lately.
Loni Arnold-wade
I enjoyed reading this fast read, it was interesting and humorous. The characters are quite like able. There are dark parts and it can get quite graphic when discussing how a body is cared for after death (fictionally). Seems more non fiction than fiction in that topic. For the writers first book he did well, if he writes another I would read it.
Elaine
Oct 25, 2011 Elaine marked it as started-reading-but-didn-t-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Dealing with the dead and a sense of humor.

Much of the book is funny. Some is a bit off such as with "the presence." And Natalie. She's a bit off as well. I think after she was introduced, the book went down hill from there.
Will
Jul 04, 2008 Will marked it as to-read
Shelves: humor
Funny book about a guy whose lifelong dream is to become a mortician.
Tink
Different. Not bad, not good.
S. M.
S. M. marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Darlene
Darlene marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Candis Lehnigk
Candis Lehnigk is currently reading it
Dec 14, 2014
Sar
Sar marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Sherrie
Sherrie marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Duke Lancaster
Duke Lancaster marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015