Start by marking “Time to Sleep” as Want to Read:
Time to Sleep

Time to Sleep

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  327 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
A warm, inviting bedtime book from a Caldecott winning illustrator.

Bear sniffed once.
She sniffed twice.

Published September 15th 2001 by Square Fish (first published September 15th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Time to Sleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time to Sleep

David
Oct 22, 2011 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time to Sleep by Denise Fleming is a story about the hibernation of several animals that also can function as a bedtime story.

Bear smells winter and knows it's time to sleep, but must first tell snail. Snail in turn sees it's time, but must tell skunk. Skunk sees its time to sleep, but must first tell Turtle. Turtle must tell Woodchuck who must tell Ladybug. Ladybug has heard geese but must tell bear. She wakes up Bear then goes to sleep in a nearby log. All six animals say goodnight to each ot
Vivian
Sep 24, 2014 Vivian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
When I opened this book to share in library pre-school story time I said "It's TIME TO SLEEP" according to Denise Fleming who made this book. Can you read the title with me?" I put my finger under the first word and we all said "Time", and so forth. According to a recent study that was aired on NPR, this simple way of introducing books to children helps with reading readiness. http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/... Of course you and I know the children weren't 'reading', but they felt like the ...more
Laurie
Dec 26, 2014 Laurie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Jul 25, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
All Denise Fleming books are wonderful! Bear smells winter in the air, and tells Snail that winter is coming and it is time to sleep. Snail tells another animal, and on and on, until the message gets back to Bear that winter is coming and it is time to sleep. Each animal mentions another sign of winter, and a different action that they need to do to get ready for hibernation. Fleming poured colored cotton pulp through hand-cut stencils to make the images. The colors give off the earthy glow of a ...more
Janice Villwock
Nov 11, 2009 Janice Villwock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pb-same-artist
Pre-K - 2nd grade Listening/read alone

Fleming creates the illustrations for all her books by "pouring colored cotton pulp through hand-cut stencils producing images set in handmade paper." In this book all of the pages are filled with color with very undefined lines. The story unfolds with bear realizing that winter is coming but he cannot go to sleep until he tells snail. It continues with a variety of animals and insects not being able to go to sleep until they tell ??? The story would make th
Ashlyn Barker
This book is about a bear who needs to let someone know it's cold and time to sleep...which leads to a full circle of reminders from the animals. Good for talking to young students about hibernation. A good start for young emerging readers. I might use this with kindergarteners to talk about the setting.
Eric Summers
For reading to your child at bedtime, this is a good book. You can sit together and look over the illustrations. However in a classroom setting, the dark tones and lack of detail make this a difficult choice for read-aloud. The kids right next to you will be able to see the pictures just fine, but the kids in the back row might as well be looking at a big blob of paint.

If you want to use this book as part of a unit on hibernation or changing seasons, get 3 or 4 copies and use it for small-groups
Destiny Thompson
Cute story! This book would be great to teach children about hibernation. "I smell winter in the air," said bear." 'It is time to crawl into my cave and sleep. but first I must tell snail." Each animal takes a turn spreading the word, Winter is Here!."
Chelsea Kimmey
This book would be good when teaching a class about how to help each other out because each animal makes sure to remind one another that winter is coming. It also could be fitting for a lesson when learning about hibernation
Theresa
Jan 02, 2015 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grade-1
Cute book that will fit nicely into my hibernation unit. Animals are getting ready for a winter rest. Each warns the next of the up-coming winter. Bear, ladybug, woodchuck, turtle, skunk, snail are included.
April Smith
This is a good book to help children understand how animals hibernate during the winter. This builds the kids schema on what types of animals hibernate. This would be a good book for kindergarten or first grade.
Ebone Cooper
Lets talk about seasons! this is a fun narrative to introduce hibernation, what it means and what animals hibernate. children can talk about their favorites and things they see in the fall.
Melissa
Dec 11, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eng-261
Time to sleep is a cute poetry book about animals going to sleep. Younger children will love and can relate to this book. I'd use it in a kindergarden class. I gave it 5 stars because I loved it!
Paula
When Bear notices that winter is nearly here he hurries to tell Snail, after which each animal tells another until finally the already sleeping Bear is awakened in his den with the news.
Christine Turner
A warm, inviting bedtime book from a Caldecott winning illustrator. Bear sniffed once. She sniffed twice. "I smell winter in the air," said Bear. "It is time to crawl into my cave and sleep. But first I must tell Snail." Denise Fleming presents a warm-hearted story about animals of the forest settling down for their winter nap. But, like children who must go to bed for the night, they each find a way to put it off just a little bit longer. Richly illustrated in fall colors, Denise Fleming's stor ...more
Rachel
Mar 30, 2016 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute book. Teaches what animals hibernate in the winter. We enjoyed finding the animals on the picture as they went to sleep for the winter.
Tim Johnson
Dec 10, 2015 Tim Johnson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-time
Simple story with great illustrations. Again, I really don't have a criticism of this book. The illustrations are really what make it worth while.
Mary
Jan 28, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
An adorable story in which Bear and friends get ready for winter. A great way to introduce preschoolers to hibernation. It's nearly perfect, except for one thing a story timer noticed: it should have a fox. :)
Lauren Garris
Book Title: Time to Sleep by: Denise Fleming
Short Description of the Book: A story about the Bear and other animals preparations for their winter hibernation.
FOCUS: Text Types and Purposes
1) Writing to include information in a storybook format. For example, this book is a narrative story, but includes information/characteristics about Fall and early Winter.
TEACH: CCSS Connection Kindergarten:
Literacy W.K.2 Use a combination of drawing, dictating, and writing to compose informative/explanatory
Cindy
Apr 22, 2015 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sleep is so sweet. It's even more sweet when reading this before sleeping.
Courtney
Mar 21, 2013 Courtney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ed-310
In this story of hibernation for the winter, the bear begins telling the other animals it's "time". It's time for snail and skunk and turtle and woodchuck and ladybug to all go to sleep for the winter.

This book introduces intriguing topics, points out new animals, and has excellent illustrations. All of the animals work together to let each other know it's time to sleep. For children 1st grade and under, this book will show a glimpse of how many animals react to the winter cold. This seasonal bo
Gaby Roman
I thought this was a great book to explain to students where animals go in the winter time when it gets cold outside. I would read this story to my students when they are learning about the different seasons. This would be great to use when my students are learning about winter. I may have my students break up into small groups and learn more about each animal that was in the story and share with the class about more information and what these animals do in the winter time. These small groups wo ...more
MJ
Nov 11, 2015 MJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alissa laughed when Ladybug woke up Bear to tell him to go to sleep.
Ms Threlkeld
A fun read aloud about animals preparing to hibernate.
M. Walker
Seasonal. DIST
Lindsey
May 06, 2013 Lindsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lower-elementary
I thoroughly enjoy reading this book at the end of October when the seasons are beginning to change from fall to winter! Time to Sleep is a story centered around the idea of hibernation; yet, the word itself is never written, rather implied. Children listening to this story must use some inferencing skills to figure out what all of the animals are talking about. It is a great way to introduce critical and deeper thinking strategies at the beginning of the year.
Ariel Cummins
A nice variety of animals in this book about preparing for winter! Includes the usually suspects, like bear, but also some different sleepers - like snail and ladybug.

Fiber illustrations give this book a natural and slightly abstract look.

Great characters and a funny ending make this book excellent for reading aloud! Good for seasons or sleeping story times. A little old for babies; might work for toddlers and would be a great preschool book!
Bree
Apr 25, 2014 Bree rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preschool-books
Notes:
all animals take a turn telling another that winter is coming
last animal wakes bear up to tell him
bedtime book?
Janet
Beautiful simple story line with a repeating line of "winter is on its way", a number of rhyming words, and real info about the coming of winter as the forest animals tell their friends that winter is coming. The illustration technique is unique: pouring colored cotton pulp through hand-cut stencils makes for beautiful textured illustrations. Also the colors depict fall well. I would love to use this in a storytime.
Tricia
Feb 28, 2011 Tricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bear smells winter in the air. Before he can sleep he must spread the word. He begins a chain of notification from snail to skunk to turtle...and so on. Preschool/early elementary audience will enjoy the eventual cycling around of this communciation and the ending containing multiple "good-nights" remniscent of the Walton's. As readalouds highlighting nature and animals go, Fleming consistently creates winners.
  • Fall is Not Easy
  • Cat's Colors
  • Mouse Mess
  • A Kitten Tale
  • Fletcher and the Falling Leaves
Denise Fleming has written and illustrated many children’s picture books, including In the Tall, Tall Grass, Shout! Shout It Out!, and Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy. She won a Caldecott Honor for In the Small, Small Pond. Denise creates her colorful illustrations by pouring colored paper pulp through hand-cut stencils. She lives in Toledo, Ohio.

More about Denise Fleming...