Start by marking “The Big Book for Peace” as Want to Read:
The Big Book for Peace

The Big Book for Peace

This very special volume was created by more than thirty of the best known and loved authors and illustrators of children's books.
Published September 20th 1990 by Dutton Books

To ask other readers questions about The Big Book for Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Book for Peace

Patricia
Jan 10, 2015 Patricia rated it liked it
What an interesting and eclectic collection of written and art work for children all on the subject of peace. For the most part, Emma and I enjoyed reading it aloud together. Published in 1990, it contains three picture book stories, four short stories, four historical stories, two poems, one historical treaty, one piece of artwork by Maurice Sendak, and one song called "One More Time."

At the end of the book the editors wrote,

"How This Book Came to Be

At a conference not very long ago, a young
Julia Jasztal
Feb 03, 2013 Julia Jasztal rated it it was ok
Mommy's review from 10/23/11 -

The only reason I'm giving this two stars is because there was one or two stories in the first few that we liked. But we actually stopped reading this just before the halfway mark because it's just not for Julia. I don't get who this is really for. It seems like the editors wanted to make sure there was something for everyone. I'm not sure that approach works with something like this.
When I read a book I want to read all of it. I don't want to read some of it. But
Jess
Oct 13, 2009 Jess rated it liked it
Recommends it for: teachers working on peace projects
Recommended to Jess by: Chris
Shelves: middle-grade, z_09
A collection of peace-related stories--some happy, some not--by a collection of recognizable authors.

A neat idea presented in an uneven collection of OK stories. Nothing wowed me.

The backstory provided by the book explains that the idea came about when a young, angry librarian complained that the new war books other librarians were excited to purchase for their students didn't have photos of the devastation caused by the wars. She didn't want to get excited about war books.

Fine. That's a decen
Cosmic Sher
Nov 03, 2008 Cosmic Sher rated it it was ok
Shelves: just-for-fun
Overall, this book was kinda depressing and very activistic. I read it with my 7 year old daughter, and felt the need to skip a few of the stories because they were about war & really downtone. I loved the stories about the Native Americans, and even the one about the two little girls and their treehouses, but couldn't bring myself to read the one about a Letter from a Concentration Camp.

One story actually scared my daughter because she didn't realize that there could be the potential for he
Kym
Nov 08, 2012 Kym rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books as a child. I wanted to buy my godson a copy for Christmas and was heartbroken to find that it's out of print. Some of the stories in here have challenging themes, but they present children with a chance to think about really important ideas that they will encounter the rest of their lives.

In general, I think we underestimate children's ability to grasp tough concepts like war and violence, when they actually have more a more rational perspective on these thing
Julia
Jul 05, 2016 Julia rated it it was ok
Beware, the age group intended for this anthology is...ambiguous. I recommend reading each story carefully before reading it aloud to children. While some stories are charming and perfectly appropriate for younger kids, others contain subject matter far too mature for anyone under the age of 13.
I bought the book at a used bookstore mainly because of the Maurice Sendak illustration on the cover of the book. I soon realized there was no Maurice Sendak story in this book. What a disappointment!
Maureen
Sep 27, 2008 Maureen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: multicultural
This anthology is a great resource containing inspirational stories by such illustrious authors as Jean Craighead George, Natalie Babbitt, Steven Kellogg and many more. It features stories about peace from different lands, next door neighbors, brothers, and sisters, and people of different races. It is an excellent book to use when introducing theme, and invites the reader to compare and contrast the different perspectives.
Christina
Sep 28, 2014 Christina rated it really liked it
A treasure. Classic, gifted children's book authors and illustrators. "A Midnight Clear" by Katherine Paterson was particularly moving for me. I may share it with my students this year.

A wide variety of work, all encouraging reflection on struggles with... action towards... a need for peace: poems, beautiful artwork spreads, a song, fables, whimsical tales, historical accounts of internment camps and the civil rights movement.
Rachel Garcia
Mar 02, 2016 Rachel Garcia rated it really liked it
Shelves: edrd-314
This is a really neat book, and I enjoyed all the different styles of writing from the many writers and poets. It's a big book that emphasizes the need for peace. I like how all the stories are a different kind of peace-- whether it be kindness towards neighbors or kindness in times of racism. You can tell its an older book because of its mention of a possible nuclear war, but the need for peace is still relevant today.
Marcus
Oct 31, 2015 Marcus rated it it was amazing
A solid book with a noble purpose. I bought this as soon as I scanned the list of contributors. My favorite selections were from Lloyd Alexander, Lois Lowry and Katherine Paterson. It is definitely the story from Paterson (which closes the book) that caused me to give this 5 stars. It's a profound short tale about the power of love to drive away fear.
Paul  Hankins
Some very nice verse tucked inside this volume of short stories and poems presenting a theme of peace. I saved this one from the bins in the warehouse, quite possibly because I wanted the Maurice Sendak illustration inside.
Lisa Vegan
This is a worthy addition to the library of all children, but I think they could have done even more with it. It’s such a great premise though. Uneven, although some really worthy parts. I wish it was a much longer book!
Maureen Weiner
Jan 02, 2015 Maureen Weiner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: unfinished, lit-kids
This book is full of short stories. I've read some of them, but since we moved, I'm not sure where the book is. I'm sure I'll finish it if/when I find it again.
Sandeq
May 14, 2009 Sandeq rated it it was amazing
The book I chose to receive at graduation.
Maricar
Jan 11, 2008 Maricar rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
a compilation of different stories pertaining to peace.
every kid should have this
Michael Tinsley
Feb 01, 2013 Michael Tinsley rated it did not like it
I did not like this book at all in any way shape or form, but I think someone would like this book
Jessica
Dec 07, 2008 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
A nice collection of stories about peace. I used to read it to my son, although older children could read it themselves.
Don Gubler
Nov 05, 2012 Don Gubler rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Some nice stories in here and a great theme for kids.
Ashten Wolff
Sep 18, 2016 Ashten Wolff added it
Shelves: poetry
I used this book for my poetry presentation.
Cws
Sep 10, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: j-nonfiction
J810.8Dur
Sadie
Sadie rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2011
Marilou Goodwin
Marilou Goodwin rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2011
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2009
Teresa Mcnamee
Teresa Mcnamee rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Kelly Rodarmel
Kelly Rodarmel rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2017
Donna
Donna rated it really liked it
May 24, 2014
Gretchen Maust
Gretchen Maust rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2016
Monica
Monica rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2010
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2007
Shelly Clifton
Shelly Clifton rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Swan Lake
  • All I See is Part of Me
  • Wishes, Kisses, and Pigs
  • Little Bunny Follows His Nose (Golden Scratch & Sniff Books)
  • Canterbury Tales
  • The Mountains of Tibet
  • Papa, Do You Love Me?
  • City Green
  • Annie and the Old One
  • Wake Up, Sun!
  • Galimoto
  • How Will We Get to the Beach?/Como Iremos a la Playa?
  • People
  • Bambi Grows Up  (Walt Disney Productions)
  • Just One More