The Big Book for Peace

The Big Book for Peace

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  14 reviews
This very special volume was created by more than thirty of the best known and loved authors and illustrators of children's books.
Published September 20th 1990 by Dutton Books

To ask other readers questions about The Big Book for Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Book for Peace

Julia Jasztal
Mommy's review from 10/23/11 -

The only reason I'm giving this two stars is because there was one or two stories in the first few that we liked. But we actually stopped reading this just before the halfway mark because it's just not for Julia. I don't get who this is really for. It seems like the editors wanted to make sure there was something for everyone. I'm not sure that approach works with something like this.
When I read a book I want to read all of it. I don't want to read some of it. But...more
Jess
Oct 13, 2009 Jess rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers working on peace projects
Recommended to Jess by: Chris
Shelves: z_09, fiction, juniors
A collection of peace-related stories--some happy, some not--by a collection of recognizable authors.

A neat idea presented in an uneven collection of OK stories. Nothing wowed me.

The backstory provided by the book explains that the idea came about when a young, angry librarian complained that the new war books other librarians were excited to purchase for their students didn't have photos of the devastation caused by the wars. She didn't want to get excited about war books.

Fine. That's a decen...more
Cosmic Sher
Overall, this book was kinda depressing and very activistic. I read it with my 7 year old daughter, and felt the need to skip a few of the stories because they were about war & really downtone. I loved the stories about the Native Americans, and even the one about the two little girls and their treehouses, but couldn't bring myself to read the one about a Letter from a Concentration Camp.

One story actually scared my daughter because she didn't realize that there could be the potential for he...more
Kym
This was one of my favorite books as a child. I wanted to buy my godson a copy for Christmas and was heartbroken to find that it's out of print. Some of the stories in here have challenging themes, but they present children with a chance to think about really important ideas that they will encounter the rest of their lives.

In general, I think we underestimate children's ability to grasp tough concepts like war and violence, when they actually have more a more rational perspective on these thing...more
Maureen
This anthology is a great resource containing inspirational stories by such illustrious authors as Jean Craighead George, Natalie Babbitt, Steven Kellogg and many more. It features stories about peace from different lands, next door neighbors, brothers, and sisters, and people of different races. It is an excellent book to use when introducing theme, and invites the reader to compare and contrast the different perspectives.
Paul  Hankins
Some very nice verse tucked inside this volume of short stories and poems presenting a theme of peace. I saved this one from the bins in the warehouse, quite possibly because I wanted the Maurice Sendak illustration inside.
Lisa Vegan
This is a worthy addition to the library of all children, but I think they could have done even more with it. It’s such a great premise though. Uneven, although some really worthy parts. I wish it was a much longer book!
Jessica
A nice collection of stories about peace. I used to read it to my son, although older children could read it themselves.
Michael Tinsley
I did not like this book at all in any way shape or form, but I think someone would like this book
Maricar
a compilation of different stories pertaining to peace.
every kid should have this
Don Gubler
Some nice stories in here and a great theme for kids.
Sandeq
The book I chose to receive at graduation.
Cws
Riana
Riana added it
Aug 09, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Cathy Maher
Cathy Maher marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Bharathi Krishnan
Bharathi Krishnan marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Erin
Erin added it
Jun 28, 2014
Adryan Foresman
Adryan Foresman marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Christine Medunycia
Christine Medunycia marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Big Book for Our Planet The Diane Goode Book of American Folk Tales and Songs Just for Fun Danny Loves a Holiday My Mom Didn't Kiss Me Goodnight