Start by marking “The Big Book for Peace” as Want to Read:
The Big Book for Peace

The Big Book for Peace

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  16 reviews
This very special volume was created by more than thirty of the best known and loved authors and illustrators of children's books.
Published September 20th 1990 by Dutton Books

To ask other readers questions about The Big Book for Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Book for Peace

Patricia
What an interesting and eclectic collection of written and art work for children all on the subject of peace. For the most part, Emma and I enjoyed reading it aloud together. Published in 1990, it contains three picture book stories, four short stories, four historical stories, two poems, one historical treaty, one piece of artwork by Maurice Sendak, and one song called "One More Time."

At the end of the book the editors wrote,

"How This Book Came to Be

At a conference not very long ago, a young
Julia Jasztal
Mommy's review from 10/23/11 -

The only reason I'm giving this two stars is because there was one or two stories in the first few that we liked. But we actually stopped reading this just before the halfway mark because it's just not for Julia. I don't get who this is really for. It seems like the editors wanted to make sure there was something for everyone. I'm not sure that approach works with something like this.
When I read a book I want to read all of it. I don't want to read some of it. But
Christina
A treasure. Classic, gifted children's book authors and illustrators. "A Midnight Clear" by Katherine Paterson was particularly moving for me. I may share it with my students this year.

A wide variety of work, all encouraging reflection on struggles with... action towards... a need for peace: poems, beautiful artwork spreads, a song, fables, whimsical tales, historical accounts of internment camps and the civil rights movement.
Jess
Oct 13, 2009 Jess rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers working on peace projects
Recommended to Jess by: Chris
Shelves: z_09, fiction, juniors
A collection of peace-related stories--some happy, some not--by a collection of recognizable authors.

A neat idea presented in an uneven collection of OK stories. Nothing wowed me.

The backstory provided by the book explains that the idea came about when a young, angry librarian complained that the new war books other librarians were excited to purchase for their students didn't have photos of the devastation caused by the wars. She didn't want to get excited about war books.

Fine. That's a decen
Cosmic Sher
Overall, this book was kinda depressing and very activistic. I read it with my 7 year old daughter, and felt the need to skip a few of the stories because they were about war & really downtone. I loved the stories about the Native Americans, and even the one about the two little girls and their treehouses, but couldn't bring myself to read the one about a Letter from a Concentration Camp.

One story actually scared my daughter because she didn't realize that there could be the potential for he
Kym
This was one of my favorite books as a child. I wanted to buy my godson a copy for Christmas and was heartbroken to find that it's out of print. Some of the stories in here have challenging themes, but they present children with a chance to think about really important ideas that they will encounter the rest of their lives.

In general, I think we underestimate children's ability to grasp tough concepts like war and violence, when they actually have more a more rational perspective on these thing
Maureen
This anthology is a great resource containing inspirational stories by such illustrious authors as Jean Craighead George, Natalie Babbitt, Steven Kellogg and many more. It features stories about peace from different lands, next door neighbors, brothers, and sisters, and people of different races. It is an excellent book to use when introducing theme, and invites the reader to compare and contrast the different perspectives.
Paul  Hankins
Some very nice verse tucked inside this volume of short stories and poems presenting a theme of peace. I saved this one from the bins in the warehouse, quite possibly because I wanted the Maurice Sendak illustration inside.
Lisa Vegan
This is a worthy addition to the library of all children, but I think they could have done even more with it. It’s such a great premise though. Uneven, although some really worthy parts. I wish it was a much longer book!
Maureen Weiner
This book is full of short stories. I've read some of them, but since we moved, I'm not sure where the book is. I'm sure I'll finish it if/when I find it again.
Jessica
A nice collection of stories about peace. I used to read it to my son, although older children could read it themselves.
Michael Tinsley
I did not like this book at all in any way shape or form, but I think someone would like this book
Maricar
a compilation of different stories pertaining to peace.
every kid should have this
Don Gubler
Some nice stories in here and a great theme for kids.
Sandeq
The book I chose to receive at graduation.
Cws
Sep 10, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: j-nonfiction
J810.8Dur
The Vriesema-Magnusons
The Vriesema-Magnusons marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Bott
Bott added it
Apr 11, 2015
Glorybeafarm
Glorybeafarm marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Natasha Panzer
Natasha Panzer marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Tina
Tina added it
Jan 25, 2015
Frank
Frank added it
Jan 04, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Big Book for Our Planet The Diane Goode Book of American Folk Tales and Songs Just for Fun Danny Loves a Holiday My Mom Didn't Kiss Me Goodnight