Start by marking “When Do Fish Sleep? : An Imponderables' Book ” as Want to Read:
When Do Fish Sleep? : An Imponderables' Book

When Do Fish Sleep? : An Imponderables' Book

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  362 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Ponder, if you will ...
Why are tennis balls fuzzy?
How come birds don't tip over when they sleep on telephone wires?
What makes yawning contagious?
Why, oh why, do roosters have to crow so early in the morning?

Pop-culture guru David Feldman demystifies these topics and so much more in When Do Fish Sleep? -- the unchallenged source of answers to civilization's most baffling q
Published March 15th 2005 by Harper Perennial (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about When Do Fish Sleep? , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Do Fish Sleep?

Jesse
May 31, 2015 Jesse rated it liked it
I thought this was an interesting book and it was fun to learn about random trivia.
April Brown
Jun 11, 2014 April Brown rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
What ages would I recommend it too? Twelve and up.

Length? Each story is a few pages.

Characters? No.

Setting? Real World before 1989.

Written approximately? 1989.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? Ready to read more.

Any issues the author (or a more recent publisher) should cover? Some answers have been updated in recent years.

Short storyline: A question is asked, and answers are given for it. Some are really good, and some are funny.

Notes for the reader: This book is a bit outdate
Simone
Jun 09, 2013 Simone rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013, non-fiction
I like trivia so I thought I’d love this book so much that I bought two books in one shot WHY DO CLOCKS RUN CLOCKWISE by David Feldman and When Do Fish Sleep? An Imponderables' Book by David Feldman. I HATED the delivery. That’s 10 bucks burnt away.

A fact is presented, and then 3 people propose a possible answer. (3 actors named A, B and C). The listener has 10 seconds to decide which answer is the correct one.

Didn’t like this set-up, I wanted a fun litany of interesting facts - not a game show!!!

Plus (especially in “When Do Fish Sleep”) in a lame and unsuccessful attempt at humour, A B and C
Linda Alexander
Jun 18, 2014 Linda Alexander rated it it was amazing
Excellent book, excellent author. David Feldman asks the unusual questions all of us wonder about. He goes to the professionals and gets to the bottom of all of our imaginations.
Emilie
Jul 05, 2015 Emilie rated it it was ok
Shelves: unfinished
The questions didn't interest me enough for me to read past the first third of the book, but it wasn't bad, if a bit outdated.
Mary
Dec 27, 2015 Mary added it
Shelves: audio-books, 2015
I needed something to fall asleep to and this was really nice. Cute trivia facts.
Cody
Nov 02, 2015 Cody rated it liked it
Very, umm, educational. Great book for people who love useless info.
Andd Becker
Jan 07, 2015 Andd Becker rated it it was amazing
Fun to read!
Edwina Hall Callan
Jan 18, 2014 Edwina Hall Callan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing, 2010
I shared this book with my kids and we all really enjoyed learning a lot of useless trivia.
My youngest said that he is now ready to go on the TV show "Cash Cab". lol ... as if.
Anna
May 23, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing, 2012
Perfect book of the category 'random interesting topics', or something I'd recommend for toilet reads or for any small breaks. Or any time when you are too tired to concentrate in a long story. Or on a long flight or something.
Lots of interesting tidbits of information, but since it was published in the 1990s, 20-30 % of the trivia is already out of date. Very few people for instance actually use the yellow pages any more for anything (other than crafts or composting perhaps).
Caleb
Apr 06, 2014 Caleb rated it really liked it
Interesting as always
David
Jan 25, 2016 David rated it liked it
Shelves: trivia, non-fiction
When Do Fish Sleep? And Other Imponderables of Everyday Life by David Feldman (Harper and Row Publishers Inc. 1989) (031.02) is an excellent trivia read. Written and compiled on the order of "The Straight Dope," this doesn't quite rise to the level of Uncle Cecil's Straight Dope, but it comes close enough to make it an entertaining read. My rating: 6.5/10, finished 1/13/14.
Kathy
Aug 18, 2015 Kathy rated it liked it
skimmed through it towards the end. plenty of out-dated info...
Sam Morin
Jun 01, 2007 Sam Morin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who ponders the imponderable
the book is pretty good and some what funny. the book will give you something that most people ask, such as why is a t.v. louder when commercials come on or the most common (which is the title of the book) when do fish sleep. very interestig and probably bound to keep you interested.
Ricardo
Aug 11, 2011 Ricardo rated it liked it
Not as good as "Why Do Clocks Run Clockwise?" but still entertaining. These books are best reads a few pages at a time when you're bored and don't have anything else to read, during breaks at work, or on the bus.
Gru
Mar 13, 2008 Gru rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
its a really fun book that answer those hard questions like when do fish sleep? or why goofy talks and pluto that is a dog too doesn't talk? or why mickey mouse and his friends just have 4 fingers?
Nick
Aug 04, 2014 Nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting, if outdated, book attempting to answer some of life's toughest questions. Would be good for middle-schoolers without access to the internet.
John
May 02, 2009 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned very many things in this book that the uneducated wouldn't care about.
If you're bored and want a small laugh or two, pick this one up.
Karry
Aug 13, 2015 Karry rated it it was ok
Shelves: science, humor
interesting little book. One for flipping through and enjoying in quick snippets, but not deep and WAY out of date.
Molly
This series has answered many questions for me and prompted many more. It's truly fascinating and well written.
Colleen
Mar 25, 2011 Colleen rated it it was amazing
The book is funny but it does give answers to some questions that people will ponder about.
Alex Seals
Has some interesting tidbits in it. Check out the Frustables section for some real thinkers.
Adrianna
I really loved it because it tells you a lot of imponderables in life. It is all good.
Nicki
Apr 20, 2008 Nicki rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THE "IMPONDERABLE" BOOKS! THEY'RE SO FUNNY AND U LEARN ALOT OF STUFF!
Cathy
Oct 01, 2008 Cathy rated it really liked it
a great book for family meals, camping, and spending time together
Peter Berg
Aug 25, 2013 Peter Berg rated it it was ok
asks good questions. makes me think. could do with some copy-editing.
Nicholas
May 21, 2012 Nicholas rated it liked it
A good book, but not as much as others in the series.
Allison
Dec 29, 2007 Allison rated it it was amazing
impress everyone you meet with your random knowledge.
Sharon
Mar 13, 2008 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Saving this book to read to my grandchildren
  • Uncle John's Legendary Lost Bathroom Reader
  • Ken Jennings's Trivia Almanac: 8,888 Questions in 365 Days
  • The Ultimate Book of Useless Information: A Few Thousand More Things You Might Need to Know (But Probably Don't)
  • The Ultimate Book of Top Ten Lists: A Mind-Boggling Collection of Fun, Fascinating and Bizarre Facts on Movies, Music, Sports, Crime, Celebrities, History, Trivia and More
  • Duh!: The Stupid History of the Human Race
  • Fact. Fact. Bullsh*t!: Learn the Truth and Spot the Lie on Everything from Tequila-Made Diamonds to Tetris's Soviet Roots - Plus Tons of Other Totally Random Facts from Science, History and Beyond!
  • The Intellectual Devotional Modern Culture: Revive Your Mind, Complete Your Education, and Converse Confidently with the Culturati
  • The People's Almanac Presents the Book of Lists
  • Contrary to Popular Belief: More than 250 False Facts Revealed
  • Where Do Nudists Keep Their Hankies?: ... and Other Naughty Questions You Always Wanted Answered
  • Mental Floss: Cocktail Party Cheat Sheets
  • The Order of Things: How Everything in the World Is Organized Into Hierarchies, Structures, and Pecking Orders
  • Listverse.com's Ultimate Book of Bizarre Lists: Fascinating Facts and Shocking Trivia on Movies, Music, Crime, Celebrities, History, and More
  • The Executioner Always Chops Twice: Ghastly Blunders on the Scaffold
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
  • 1,001 Facts That Will Scare the S#*t Out of You: The Ultimate Bathroom Reader
  • I'm Not Hanging Noodles on Your Ears and Other Intriguing Idioms From Around the World
  • mental floss presents Instant Knowledge (Collins Gem)

He holds a bachelor's degree in literature from Grinnell College, and a master's degree in popular culture from Bowling Green State University in Ohio. He consults and lectures on the media. He lives in New York City.
More about David Feldman...