When Do Fish Sleep? : An Imponderables' Book

When Do Fish Sleep? : An Imponderables' Book

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  292 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Ponder, if you will ...
Why are tennis balls fuzzy?
How come birds don't tip over when they sleep on telephone wires?
What makes yawning contagious?
Why, oh why, do roosters have to crow so early in the morning?

Pop-culture guru David Feldman demystifies these topics and so much more in When Do Fish Sleep? -- the unchallenged source of answers to civilization's most baffling q...more
Published March 15th 2005 by Harper Perennial (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about When Do Fish Sleep? , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Do Fish Sleep?

April Brown
What ages would I recommend it too? Twelve and up.

Length? Each story is a few pages.

Characters? No.

Setting? Real World before 1989.

Written approximately? 1989.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? Ready to read more.

Any issues the author (or a more recent publisher) should cover? Some answers have been updated in recent years.

Short storyline: A question is asked, and answers are given for it. Some are really good, and some are funny.

Notes for the reader: This book is a bit outdate...more
Simone
I like trivia so I thought I’d love this book so much that I bought two books in one shot WHY DO CLOCKS RUN CLOCKWISE by David Feldman and When Do Fish Sleep?   An Imponderables' Book  by David Feldman. I HATED the delivery. That’s 10 bucks burnt away.

A fact is presented, and then 3 people propose a possible answer. (3 actors named A, B and C). The listener has 10 seconds to decide which answer is the correct one.

Didn’t like this set-up, I wanted a fun litany of interesting facts - not a game show!!!

Plus (especially in “When Do Fish Sleep”) in a lame and unsuccessful attempt at humour, A B and C...more
Linda Alexander
Excellent book, excellent author. David Feldman asks the unusual questions all of us wonder about. He goes to the professionals and gets to the bottom of all of our imaginations.
David Ward
When Do Fish Sleep? And Other Imponderables of Everyday Life by David Feldman (Harper and Row Publishers Inc. 1989) (031.02) is an excellent trivia read. Written and compiled on the order of "The Straight Dope," this doesn't quite rise to the level of Uncle Cecil's Straight Dope, but it comes close enough to make it an entertaining read. My rating: 6.5/10, finished 1/13/14.
Edwina Hall Callan
I shared this book with my kids and we all really enjoyed learning a lot of useless trivia.
My youngest said that he is now ready to go on the TV show "Cash Cab". lol ... as if.
Anna
Perfect book of the category 'random interesting topics', or something I'd recommend for toilet reads or for any small breaks. Or any time when you are too tired to concentrate in a long story. Or on a long flight or something.
Lots of interesting tidbits of information, but since it was published in the 1990s, 20-30 % of the trivia is already out of date. Very few people for instance actually use the yellow pages any more for anything (other than crafts or composting perhaps).
Caleb
Interesting as always
Sam Morin
Jun 01, 2007 Sam Morin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who ponders the imponderable
the book is pretty good and some what funny. the book will give you something that most people ask, such as why is a t.v. louder when commercials come on or the most common (which is the title of the book) when do fish sleep. very interestig and probably bound to keep you interested.
Ricardo
Not as good as "Why Do Clocks Run Clockwise?" but still entertaining. These books are best reads a few pages at a time when you're bored and don't have anything else to read, during breaks at work, or on the bus.
Gru
its a really fun book that answer those hard questions like when do fish sleep? or why goofy talks and pluto that is a dog too doesn't talk? or why mickey mouse and his friends just have 4 fingers?
Nick
An interesting, if outdated, book attempting to answer some of life's toughest questions. Would be good for middle-schoolers without access to the internet.
John
I learned very many things in this book that the uneducated wouldn't care about.
If you're bored and want a small laugh or two, pick this one up.
Molly
This series has answered many questions for me and prompted many more. It's truly fascinating and well written.
Colleen
The book is funny but it does give answers to some questions that people will ponder about.
Alex Seals
Has some interesting tidbits in it. Check out the Frustables section for some real thinkers.
Adrianna
I really loved it because it tells you a lot of imponderables in life. It is all good.
Nicki
I LOVE THE "IMPONDERABLE" BOOKS! THEY'RE SO FUNNY AND U LEARN ALOT OF STUFF!
Cathy
a great book for family meals, camping, and spending time together
Peter Berg
asks good questions. makes me think. could do with some copy-editing.
Nicholas
A good book, but not as much as others in the series.
Allison
impress everyone you meet with your random knowledge.
Sharon
Saving this book to read to my grandchildren
Kyleah
...Random Facts...oh yeah, it was great.
Kristen
I continue to enjoy his books.
Cws
J031.02Fel
Mo
Mo marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Greta Macionytė
Greta Macionytė marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
  • Uncle John's Slightly Irregular Bathroom Reader
  • The Ultimate Book of Useless Information: A Few Thousand More Things You Might Need to Know (But Probably Don't)
  • The People's Almanac Presents the Book of Lists
  • Fact. Fact. Bullsh*t!: Learn the Truth and Spot the Lie on Everything from Tequila-Made Diamonds to Tetris's Soviet Roots - Plus Tons of Other Totally Random Facts from Science, History and Beyond!
  • The Order of Things: How Everything in the World Is Organized Into Hierarchies, Structures, and Pecking Orders
  • The Intellectual Devotional Modern Culture: Revive Your Mind, Complete Your Education, and Converse Confidently with the Culturati
  • 1,001 Facts That Will Scare the S#*t Out of You: The Ultimate Bathroom Reader
  • If Ignorance Is Bliss, Why Aren't There More Happy People?: Smart Quotes for Dumb Times
  • Sidetracked Home Executives(TM): From Pigpen to Paradise
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
  • The Straight Dope
  • mental floss presents Instant Knowledge (Collins Gem)
  • What Einstein Told His Barber: More Scientific Answers to Everyday Questions
  • The Doubter's Companion: A Dictionary of Aggressive Common Sense
  • Brain Candy: Science, Paradoxes, Puzzles, Logic, and Illogic to Nourish Your Neurons
  • Do Fish Drink Water?: Puzzling and Improbable Questions and Answers
  • Einstein's Refrigerator and Other Stories from the Flip Side of History
  • Rocks and Minerals

He holds a bachelor's degree in literature from Grinnell College, and a master's degree in popular culture from Bowling Green State University in Ohio. He consults and lectures on the media. He lives in New York City.
More about David Feldman...
Why Do Clocks Run Clockwise? and Other Imponderables: Mysteries of Everyday Life Explained Do Penguins Have Knees?: An Imponderables' Book Imponderables: The Solution to the Mysteries of Everyday Life Do Elephants Jump?: An Imponderables' Book How Does Aspirin Find a Headache? : An Imponderables' Book