Start by marking “The Six Directions of Space” as Want to Read:
The Six Directions of Space

The Six Directions of Space

An original novella by the modern master of space opera, limited to only 1000 signed hardcover copies.

What if Genghis Khan got his wish, and brought the entire planet under the control of the Mongols? Where would he have gone next?

A thousand years after Khan's death, Yellow Dog is the codename of a female spy working for a vast Mongol-dominated galactic empire. When she le
Published December 1st 2008 by Subterranean Press

To ask other readers questions about The Six Directions of Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Six Directions of Space

Terence
Dec 11, 2008 Terence rated it liked it
Recommends it for: A. Reynolds fans, alternate-history fans
Shelves: sf-fantasy
ADDENDUM (7/20) - I realized last night, after writing this review, that I probably should have mentioned that there are two scenes of animal and human abuse (aka "torture") that might disturb/distress some readers. Happily, Reynolds doesn't dwell on either scene. The human torture scene isn't gratuitous and makes sense in the context of the story; I'm not so sure about the animal torture scene. Seems Reynolds might have been gilding the lily in establishing the "bad guy's" bona fides.

In keeping
Rasheed
Anthologized in The Year's Best Science Fiction Twenty-Sixth Annual Collection by Gardner R. Dozois The Year's Best SF 26

"Reynolds is a master of fitting large-scale space opera into just a few pages, and this novella is no exception... short but intriguing universe-spanning mystery." - Publishers Weekly

"Impressive... Set in a solidly built universe, full of excellent espionage and adventure... a surprisingly small package to contain such a lot of entertainment." - Booklist
William
Aug 20, 2016 William rated it really liked it
Terrific, but ends suddenly ! Too short!

Too bad, because I loved Yellow Dog - confident, competent, clever. The other universes hold so much promise, fascinating tidbits and hints, abandoned :(

I would love to see a continuation of this book.
Kate Sherrod
Jun 14, 2013 Kate Sherrod rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-reads-2013
Revising my earlier opinion of this one. It should have SIX STARS.

A prized possession of mine is a limited signed edition of The Six Directions of Space in hardcover, and not just because it is a limited signed edition, my only signed Alastair Reynolds (to date; hope springs eternal while there is life, etc.), but because it is one of the coolest stories ever, and I do not engage in empty hyperbole there.

Three words. MONGOLS. IN. SPACE.

Yes, that's right, oh my blogettes, this story concerns the
Rusty
Jun 01, 2015 Rusty rated it liked it
According to Goodreads, Three-stars means 'I liked it.' Funny how I feel guilty about saying I like something. It's like my kid, he graduated from high school this spring and after the graduation several of us wanted to go out and eat with him. So we made arrangements, showed up, and when he found out where it was. He got pissed.

He complained about where we ate, he complained that we didn't do something during the graduation ceremony (I can't remember what it was now) and he complained about not
rick.
Typically a short story focuses on a single concept, and while The Six Directions of Space essentially follows that template, it feels far more expansive then its 88 pages. This is accomplished through efficient storytelling and a couple clever methods. (Warning – the following may crossover into spoiler-ish territory for some readers, although aligned with my expectations).

We are introduced to our protagonist, Yellow Dog, as she is traveling from outside a Mongolian vanguard into its political
Scott Lowe
Apr 12, 2016 Scott Lowe rated it really liked it
I've read almost everything Alastair Reynolds has written, starting with the mesmerizing trilogy of Absolution Gap, Revelation Space, and Chasm City. A first rate writer with an unbounded imagination. I know I'm always in good hands when I start a book by Reynolds. Six Directions may not be as great as his very best, but even his not quite best is better than almost anyone else out there.
Septima Severa
I came to appreciating the short stories - they can be easily read and they can be read even among all those other things that demand to be done on time. That's probably the main reason I've finished reading two graphic novels and this book in last two days.

I've waited so long for Alastair Reynolds stories. I've got his Revelation Space on Kindle since February, but regrettably, there have been other things I've attended to (although it doesn't seem like that when you look at my reading list - y
Todd Campbell
Apr 14, 2016 Todd Campbell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reynolds is just an outstanding story-teller. He is a master at the long epic but can also write a brilliant tale in the short form. This novella is an outstanding example. For fans of sci-fi and good ideas...
Stephen Case
Jan 25, 2016 Stephen Case rated it did not like it
Alastair Reynolds has been a contemporary science fiction author on my list of writers to check out for a while. It was near the end of Christmas break that I visited my local public library and grabbed a small pile of novels that included Swanwick, Moorcock, and Benford, and a very thin volume by Reynolds. The Six Directions of Space, like The Very Best of Michael Swanwick, was published by Subterranean Press (one of a signed run of 1000), but unlike the Swanwick, it was a disappointment. From ...more
Simon Mcleish
Mar 07, 2017 Simon Mcleish rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
I enjoyed this, so far as it goes. But it reads more like the first 3-4 chapters of a longer novel than a stand alone shorter narrative. I want the rest of it!
Travis Mueller
Mar 19, 2015 Travis Mueller rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, novella
Arminzerella
Josh
Aug 28, 2012 Josh rated it liked it

The hardback version of this book seems pretty hard to come by; they are going for very high prices used on Amazon,

I didn't actually get the hard copy; I fortunately found the story in the "Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year 2008" anthology, where it is featured.

This is a darker and more brutal tale an some of his others, although it does fall in the same vein as many of his short stories. There is almost a horror aspect to the universes he creates, usually with some kind of chilling r
Kae Cheatham
May 18, 2010 Kae Cheatham rated it really liked it
Shelves: spec-fiction
Another Science Fantasy, where Galactic Space is broad and multi-populated, with a twist that the dominate human culture is Mogul based (and they still love their horses even with space travel! Yea!) A spy codenamed Yellow Dog is sent to the galactic edge to investigate a series of anomalies showing up in the intergalactic transfer stations. This is a novella (85 pages) and could almost be a setup for future books.

Interesting concepts that I've seen in many recent books: the movement between tim
Andreas
Feb 06, 2014 Andreas rated it liked it
It is one thousand years since the founding of the Mongol Empire, and it now spans both the Earth and a vast galactic empire. A secret agent is sent to a remote sector to investigate problems with the interstellar transit system used by humanity; a system left behind by an ancient race.

The setting is interesting and the twist is well executed. An entertaining novella.

Pamela
Jan 28, 2010 Pamela rated it it was amazing
I don't think I'll ever tire of the writings of Alastair Reynolds. I haven't much to say in review of this novella except that it's like a snapshot of space opera, a moment taken, a fly in amber. Here we have not the sprawling epics of his other works, but an extract from the tale of another incarnation of the universe. Perhaps, though, that other universe is really our own, that is, the universe as we perceive it? A lovely exploration on the nature of space and the consequences of empire.
Caroline Berg
I'm a huge fan of Reynolds short stories. In fact, that is how I was first introduced to his works: through reading the short story "Diamond Dogs" - I was hooked. With the Six Directions of Space he explores what space would be like if the Mongols had conquered Earth, and then throws in an alien nexus and intriguing phantom ships. What happens next is pure Reynolds: delightfully dark, a touch disturbing, and always making you think.
Andreas
Mar 02, 2009 Andreas rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: die-hard Alastair Reynolds fans
Shelves: science-fiction
This was a disappointing read. Alastair Reynolds came up with an interesting setting but forgets to tell a real story. The characters stay flat and are pushed like pawns from left to right - it's all show with nothing behind.

The novella can also be found in the anthology Galactic Empires.
Chris
Jul 05, 2012 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Relatively good, but slightly predictable. Could see that reynolds was going to have a bunch of parallel strands of humanity collide around a quarter of the way into the book. Still, well written and makes you want to keep going regardless. Still worth the read, though I'd suggest a library rather than buying.
Brian Richardson
May 22, 2013 Brian Richardson rated it liked it
Good short novella by one of the masters of modern space opera. A full length novel or even a series set in this Mongol dominated universe would be fantastic. My only complaint...what's with all the torture? Fortunately reading a book lets you skim right past that stuff, but still...
Scott
Feb 13, 2014 Scott rated it really liked it
Another little gem by Reynolds. Not my favourite of his stories, but still engaging and entertaining. It's a nice mental exercise to imagine all the different paths that life from earth could have taken to the stars..
David Marshall
Jun 08, 2012 David Marshall rated it really liked it
This is an excellent novella managing to combined, space opera, a Big Dumb Object and alternate history all in one neat package.

Ea
Jun 21, 2015 Ea rated it really liked it
probably not perfect but I liked the 'universe' a lot. a pity it finishes so soon but it was nice until the end ^^
Will
Feb 25, 2009 Will rated it really liked it
How I wish this story would continue....
Paddythemic
Jul 21, 2013 Paddythemic rated it liked it
not bad. not amazing either. interchange. parallel universe.
La Tricia Ransom
Mar 27, 2014 La Tricia Ransom rated it it was ok
I've only been able to find this in my public library as part of "The Year's Best Science Fiction: 26th Annual Collection," ed. Gardner Dozois
Sean O'Hara
Why is this only a novella? There's an entire novel -- an entire series -- worth of ideas.
Andrew
Dec 24, 2014 Andrew rated it liked it
Not a whole lot there. Not bad for how short it is, but it feels like it's missing some exposition and was heavily edited.
Jason Burkhardt
Nov 12, 2013 Jason Burkhardt rated it liked it
Quick, fun, scifi.
  • Scenting the Dark and Other Stories
  • The Apex Book of World SF (Apex Book of World SF #1)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Fourth Annual Collection
  • A World of Difference
  • Cryptic: The Best Short Fiction of Jack McDevitt
  • Manhattan In Reverse
  • Radio Freefall
  • Singularity's Ring
  • Missile Gap
  • Investments (Dread Empire's Fall, #3.5)
  • The Lord of the Sands of Time
  • The Day the Earth Stood Still & Other Classic SF Novellas
  • The Bear Went Over the Mountain: Soviet Combat Tactics in Afghanistan
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: THE ORIGIN, Volume 7: Battle of Loum
  • The New Space Opera
  • Treachery and Treason
  • Federations
  • Mind Over Ship
Alastair Reynolds, former scientist and now full-time writer. Most of what he writes is science fiction, with a strong concern for scientific verisimilitude (although he is prepared to break the rules for the sake of a good story). He has lived in England, Scotland and the Netherlands where he worked as an astrophysicist for the European Space Agency until 2004, but now makes his home back in his ...more
More about Alastair Reynolds...