Start by marking “Reforming a Rake (With This Ring, #1)” as Want to Read:
Reforming a Rake (With This Ring, #1)

Reforming a Rake (With This Ring #1)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  2,107 ratings  ·  87 reviews
Lessons In Love

A governess must never be alone with a man. Her reputation mustn't have even a hint of scandal.

She must never reveal personal emotions. No matter how strong the provocation by her employer.

A governess never questions her employer's commands. Even when he's tempting her to forsake respectability for desire?

She must never, ever, fall in love with someone ab
Mass Market Paperback, 374 pages
Published March 7th 2000 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Reforming a Rake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reforming a Rake

Devil in Winter by Lisa KleypasLord of Scoundrels by Loretta ChaseDreaming of You by Lisa KleypasNine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLeanMarried By Morning by Lisa Kleypas
Best Rogue/Rake Romance Books
75th out of 473 books — 1,050 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenOutlander by Diana GabaldonDevil in Winter by Lisa KleypasJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëGone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Favorite Historical Romance Novels
233rd out of 2,163 books — 4,089 voters

More lists with this book...

Eastofoz
Nov 26, 2008 Eastofoz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Readers who like great verbal sparring like Sebastian in Chase's "Lord of Scoundrels"
4.5 stars and only because it could’ve used a bit more length/development in the steam department otherwise it’s another 5 star read from Enoch.

It starts out with the hero who has been saddled with a whiney cousin and domineering pain in the butt aunt who he wants to have nothing to do with so he hires a governess/companion for the ladies to get them out of his hair. Turns out he’s quite attracted to the governess and he tells her at the job interview in some very clear terms! And so, our story
Linds
Boo. What a paint by numbers Regency.

Nothing stood out in this book. Standard plot, and a two dimensional hero and heroine that I faintly disliked.

Alexandra is a ruined governess that finds work with the hero Lucien, a peer. Her job is to marry of a poor relation cousin that has just come to live with him. I had a couple problems.

1.) Lucien started in with the sexual innuendo within minutes of meeting Alexandra. As her employer, when she's desperate for a job, this just seems he's abusing power
Addicted2Luv
First the positive comments. I liked the hero in that he had humor and sex appeal. The secondary storyline and the characters (cousin and aunt)was plausible and humorous. There was a cute little dog in the book, and being a dog lover, I liked that.

Now the negative. I didn't like the quickie sex. I rather enjoy two or three pages of a sex scene, and this book just didn't steam. I was saying to myself, "Is that all?" Also, the heroine was stubborn to the point of really irritating me.

Maybe it was
Courtnie
This never got off the ground for me. The "Enoch" moments that I so love were merely a few good sentances.
Sternchen
I've written a 100-pages paper on this. That's where the pretty stars come from.
And because I made my lit prof read it publicly on a plane =D
ChloeLeeNH
Jul 06, 2008 ChloeLeeNH rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Regency Era fans
Pretty solid start to the series. I like the attraction between the h/h. Nice twists and turns between the hero's family and the heroine.
Lady Darcie
Jul 28, 2011 Lady Darcie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: romance lovers
Recommended to Lady Darcie by: internet
Lucien Balfour, Earl of Kilcairn just inherited his aunt and cousin (whom he despised) and the only way of getting them out of the picture is to have his cousin married and they only way that's going to happen is with the help of Alexandra Gallant, a women who has captured Luciens attention like no one else has and he wants her and the challenge with that will only enhance his desire for her.
Alexandra Gallant has no idea who's house she enters until he walks in and announces that she hired and
Melanie
Nisha
If there is anything I look for in a historical, it is the verbal sparing. This had heaps of it. Lucien was a rake. He started off as a cynic and a little horrid, but he's really all warm and fuzzy inside, after Alexandra's influence. Alexandra is a good bit independent, but really, I think she just had trust issues. Lucien wasn't exactly a great catch by reputation. But he changed because of her, so it all worked out. I loved that part when she didn't come back and he said that she was the only ...more
Fira Rosli
The only thing (or person if you want me to be more precise) that I absolutely adored in this book is Lucien. He was conceited, arrogant, rakish, charming, bloody handsome (and hot). But what attracted me the most was his dry wit. GOD HOW I LOVE HIS HUMOR (and him). The comments he made, OH HIS WITTING REMARKS, of his Aunt Fiona and Cousin Rose were LAUGH-OUT-LOUD-ROLLING-ON-FLOOR-AND-LAUGHING-HARDER. Alright, so I may have exaggerated it a wee bit much but I couldn't help it. As for the heroine ...more
Cherie Jensen
Lucien you are a 10. You start out a cynical bully but you do reform and believably too.

Ms. Enoch wrote one of the best rakes ever. He is an unrepentant, no excuses, rake. He is not a nice guy even if he's your friend, he's so cynical. Then he meets Alexandra. He starts out his seduction of her the same as always but is turned down and away. The development of his affection for her is consistent and steady which I could swallow as it was realistic.

There are two antagonists. The first is Lucien's
Nira
Dec 21, 2011 Nira rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ebooks
The story may be a bit cliche but Suzanne Enoch's execution of plot and characterization is impeccable! What captured me most was the witty banter between the hero and heroine. It never got boring and even made me laugh out loud on more than one occasion.

Enoch's main characters are consistent and memorable. Consistency builds realism and that's what I found here. Lucian's cynical, skeptical, to-hell-with-the-world attitude did not waver for even a second and when it did it was for good reason -
Ivana
What a wonderful, easy book to read. I adoooored it. Can't remember the last time I had so much pure fun reading a history romance novel. Loved it from the first page till the last one, and I wouldn't have mind if there was more.

Lex and Lucious were such charming characters, absolute delight to read about. I loved her fire and spirit, and adored his sense of humor and look on life. They were the perfect match :).

This was my first Suzanne Enoch book, but it most definitely won't be the last one
Dancer
Daneesha
I am currently on a roll. This makes 4 books that I have read in the last 3 weeks. I enjoyed this book. It was a sweet romance, but I would have liked a little more spice. I would have liked the hero to be a little naughtier. I got annoyed at the "misunderstanding" at the end because it made the book like 20 pages longer than it needed. The heroine, Alexandra, was a bit too stubborn and she was the reason for the big "misunderstanding." I think a murder mystery or some danger would probably have ...more
Kimia Safavi
Loved It!

Reforming a Rake is a delightful and an amazing historical romance. Lucien Balfour, Earl of Kilcairn is an arrogant, rakish, charming, cynic , handsome and I laughed throughout the story because of his dry wit.
Alexandra Gallant is a beautiful, independent governess that I adore from the beginning of the story but toward the end I wanted to shake her for her stubbornness,still the hero and heroine were so lovable.
This is an enjoyable , fun and romantic story. Thank you Suzanne Enoch
Graylark
Couldn't decide whether this was a 3 or a 4. Plot itself had a lot of loopholes and some things that took place felt forced. However, reading the book itself was a very easy and enjoyable experience, and it never felt like it dragged at any part.

Plus:
- Suzanne Enoch is excellent at generating sexual/ romantic tension. Actual sex scenes tend to be rather short, but I like the many little thrills she adds here and there.
- Hero and heroine consistently get plenty of face time
- Hero and heroine are
Julie
Loved this regency that really was about reforming a rake! Lucien has a horrible reputation as a ladykiller, but the governess he hires to teach his cousin etiquette so he can marry her off changes him into a better man. Of course there are plenty of bumps along the way, and Alexandra, the governess was a bit too stubborn, but by the end I had tears in my eyes when these two finally have a happy ending. 4/5

Bradley
If more romances were written like this one, I would probably have a lot more of them in my collection. This romance almost made the cut to stay in my permanent collection. It made me laugh several times and even forced me to empathize with the plight of the characters. Good as far as romances go, and I found no typos or grammar errors either. Good regency romance. I will even go so far as to recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good romance tale with engaging characters. =)
Yackie
I didn't enjoy reading this book until about 3 quarters in. I thought it was a bit boring and did not like the hero at all. I thought Lucien was a total douche. He was rude and mean just for the fun in it. He bullied his 17 year old cousin and ward to the point he had her in tears most of the time. And yes, she would cry for everything but he didn't need to be cruel to her, which he was. His excuse for not wanting to take care of his only family, 2 females alone in the world, was stupid and flim ...more
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Alexandra is an orphan, who has to work as a governess or a companion to suipport herself now that she was not left with much but a few debts. Lucien is an earl, who is trying to marry off his annoying cousin with the help of Lex and despite his aunt's sneaky interference. They both have reputationd, whether earned or not. Love blooms, cousin Rose finds a match, and aunt Fiona's plans are gleefully thwarted. Great read!!
Anita
Despite it's cringe-worthy, cheesy cover, this was so much fun to read for the most part. Lucien is the most hilarious male lead I have ever read, I laughed out loud so many times. Alexandra's headstrong attitude (although something I loved at the beginning) became part of the reason why this is a 4 star book; the story started to drag on! Overall though, a really great, fun read.
Alexandria Tale
A great read! I swoon over Lucien all the time. He did all he could to make her see his love for her. And Alexandra was a bit too stubborn, I rather annoyed with her. Thank God she was being reasonable in the end. I just a bit disappointed because an epilogue would perfectly finish this book. I'm looking after the next installment already
Taya M
This was both a beautiful read and a funny one because the author knows how to draw the reader in and make them beg for more....

The lead female is a headstrong women with a need to always be right and I enjoyed the arguements that she got into.

Amberita
I loved the hero Lucien but something was lacking with Alexandra my favorite parts would have to be when they were sparring with each other. I definitely didn't like the end because Alexandra was being blind and not seeing what was right in front of her!
Chriscilla Quintana
I enjoyed this book very much. Fell in love with Lucien myself. I enjoy stories that bring out every emotion in me and I must say that this story definitely did that. Thank you, Suzanne. AWESOME JOB!!
Nanette
Nov 25, 2012 Nanette added it
Shelves: kindle
Lucian Balfour and alexandra (she is companion to his frivolous cousin); he's reminiscent of Saint but better behaved. The book was under developed in all areas but there is enough to her characters and dialogue redeem it.
Nicole
LOVED the plot & Characters, I know this is a sucky review i cant remember half i wanted to say as i am 4 books further, but i can remember its a must read! and funny!
Danijela
I absolutly love Lucien and his humor. I was actually laughing so hard in the beginning of the book that my stomac hurt. I give the book 4 just because of Lucien.
Lita Bouquard
An obnoxious rake "inherits his cousin and her mother" and can't wait to get rid of them. He hires a ruined governess( Alexandra )with sex appeal to teach his cousin to have what she has. If the cousin can charm someone into marrying her he will be rid of her. Alexandra is desperate for the job and accepts despite blatant flirtation. She teaches the cousin and the rake to have some manners and Lucien jumps through hoops to please Alexandra and prove he truly cares for Lex. He begins to enjoy beh ...more
  • To Pleasure a Prince (Royal Brotherhood, #2)
  • Three Nights of Sin
  • At the Bride Hunt Ball (Devine & Friends, #1)
  • Sleepless at Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #1)
  • My Dearest Enemy
  • A Perfect Groom (Sterling trilogy, #2)
  • And Then He Kissed Her (Girl Bachelors, #1)
  • Devil Takes a Bride (Knight Miscellany, #5)
  • Bound by Your Touch
  • Just Wicked Enough (Rogues and Roses, #2)
  • Claiming the Courtesan
  • To Wed a Scandalous Spy (Royal Four, #1)
  • The Seduction of an English Scoundrel (Boscastle, #1)
Suzanne was born in Southern California sometime in the latter half of the 20th century. In the way that some people are born knowing they want to be astronauts or cellists, Suzanne always knew she wanted to be a writer. Early dreams of becoming a zoologist and writing true stories about her adventures in Africa were crushed, however, after she viewed a television special about the world’s most po ...more
More about Suzanne Enoch...

With This Ring (3 books)
  • Meet Me at Midnight (With This Ring, #2)
  • A Matter of Scandal (With This Ring, #3)
London's Perfect Scoundrel (Lessons in Love, #2) The Rake (Lessons in Love, #1) England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3) The Care and Taming of a Rogue (Adventurers’ Club, #1) Sin and Sensibility (Griffin Family, #1)

“So you’ll forget her and move on.”

I suppose I will. As soon as I forget how to breathe.”
30 likes
“Love is a word we use for the desire to fornicate so that we seem more refined than farm animals." ~Lucian Balfour” 18 likes