Start by marking “The American Night: The Lost Writings, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
The American Night: The Lost Writings, Vol. 2

The American Night: The Lost Writings, Vol. 2

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  2,518 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
THE AMERICAN NIGHT presents Morrison's previously unpublished work in its truest form. WIth their nightmarish images, bold associative leaps, and volcanic power of emotion, these works are the unmistakable artifacts of a great, wild voice and heart.
Published July 30th 1991 by Vintage (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The American Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The American Night

Michael Finocchiaro
Sep 10, 2016 Michael Finocchiaro rated it really liked it
Both of Jim Morrison's poetry books are actually quite good. You can hear Densmore's drumbeat, Kreiger's guitar and Manzarek's wonderful organ as you allow your eyes to soak in the works. As usual with works like this, it serves to remind us of the artists that the 60s killed off and wonder what could have been.
Susan Budd
Jim Morrison was a philosopher-poet, a mythopoeic visionary in the tradition of Blake, a Dionysian wild child who died well before his time.

The two volumes of poetry published posthumously as Wilderness and The American Night reveal the growth of Morrison’s poetic voice and his creation of an American mythos that is dark, hypnotic, and transgressive.

The American Night combines performance pieces from The Doors’ discography with previously unpublished poems from his notebooks. The collection beg
Jason Koivu
Welcome to the American Night...

I didn't understand what it meant and yet it meant so much to me, this immature 18-year-old still finding out about the world by inserting himself into the universe of others. Along came Jim Morrison, singer/poet, a forever-young manchild...so appealing to a youth entering adulthood unwillingly.

Morrison's words, scribbled out in notebooks upon rooftops in Venice, California, would become the basis of lyrics to the inflammatory songs created by late '60s rockers T
Joseph
Nov 01, 2015 Joseph rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, punk-rock
I came late to The Doors, but I was hooked for many years. I even worked to be stationed in Southern California to catch some residual magic that the Doors may have left. I went to Venice Beach to see the giant mural of Jim Morrison on the building he used to stay at. That was all over thirty years ago. I still listen to The Doors and the lyrics still pop right into my head.

The American Night: The Lost Writings is not as lost as the title makes it out to be. I wore out a few cassettes of Americ
Glire
2015 Reading Challenge #06: A book written by someone under 30. (view spoiler)

¿Tal vez hay que estar drogado con ácido para poder apreciar esto?
"Todos se unen ahora en un lamento
por la muerte de mi falo,
una lengua de conocimiento
en la noche emplumada,
los muchachos enloquecen su cabeza
y sufren,
sacrifico mi falo
en el
Ammar
Oct 02, 2012 Ammar rated it it was amazing
Jim Morrison should have lived in some phantastic ubber cool, mind blowing community with The Doors, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsberg, Hunter S. Thompson, and all should have write a piece together and what The American Night is like a poetic masterpiece by a poet turn singer. A must read for all free minds out there.
Cristina
Un recuerdo para Jim Morrison hoy que se celebra el aniversario de su muerte.

Poesía joven, solo diré eso.

Una selección de versos que me han gustado:

"Being drunk is a good disguise.
I drink so I can talk to assholes.
This includes me."

"THE OPENING OF THE TRUNK
—Moment of inner freedom
when the mind is opened & the
infinite universe revealed
& the soul is left to wander
dazed & confus'd searching
here & there for teachers & friends"

"You're too young to be old.
You don't need to be told
Debopriyaa
Jul 25, 2014 Debopriyaa rated it it was amazing
I had actually saved up money to buy this book and I NEVER save money.
Besides being a Doors fan and absolutely drooling over Jim Morrison, I was more enchanted by Jim, the poet, the prophet.

The American Night is a gold mine, full of terrifyingly beautiful poetry, to which you can relate in your own way. Its dark, twisted, yet truthful & beautiful.
Jim's mind must have been so enticingly dark.
All hail the lizard king.

He'll remain in our hearts forever.
Tonya
Apr 18, 2009 Tonya rated it liked it
My ex recommended this book. At least he was good for something.
Kristopher Taylor
Mar 14, 2014 Kristopher Taylor rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Poets
Recommended to Kristopher by: My mother
Shelves: poetry
Fluidity is key, and Morrison always had a ring of them like a rogue custodian, often peeking into rooms clearly labeled "Do Not Disturb". This is the definitive collection of 'The Lizard King's' poetry, despite the fact that it is the second volume in the collection. This collection displays Morrison's true potential as a poet, more-so than his lyrics or even his previous works (The Lords & New Creatures/ Wilderness). It also shows the diversity of his work. Through The American Night you f ...more
R.
Oct 06, 2007 R. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1974-2002
Jim Morrison lived for years in Astoria, Oregon.

Permanent sunburnt cheeks (not rosy health) from summers on a tuna boat in the Alaskan waters.

"It's a good honest living, man."

He draped his wiry body in a great white coat and mumbled to himself in line at Safeway, sustaining an existence on Marlboros, Miller Genuine Drafts and beef jerky.

"It's good and honest to live, man. Live and learn."

"What about the bath tub? What about Paris?"

"What about Paris, man? That was another Jim. That was another
Clay
Apr 28, 2010 Clay rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Jim Morrison seems to be comfortable with nightmare, exploring confidently in places where others would try to force themselves awake.

Some of these poems are unintelligible to me, yet they still invoke emotion with their texture and imagery.
Other poems that seem unintelligible at first blush become powerful with a more careful reading.

It was a very good read.

"Naked we come
& bruised we go
nude pastry
for the slow soft worms
below"
Craig
Aug 25, 2011 Craig rated it really liked it
Shelves: music
It's worth reading for "The Hitchhiker" short script alone. It is also cool to see song lyrics in their expanded poetical form. The imagery throughout the book is incredible.
Celine
Jan 26, 2011 Celine rated it liked it
Shelves: heavyweights
Everyone goes through their Jim Morrison phase, right?
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Sep 24, 2016 Jon(athan) Nakapalau rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, poetry
Wish I could go back in time and see The Doors live.
Quill
Jul 13, 2014 Quill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry-and-verse
The Basics

A collection of poetry, lyrics, and prose by Jim Morrison, lead singer of The Doors.

My Thoughts

I don’t feel qualified to talk about poetry in a greater, broader sense of the term, as in encompassing a whole genre. I don’t read enough of it to be able to do that. I can’t compare Morrison’s work to anyone, because I wouldn’t know how. I can only really talk about his work from the standpoint of being a fan of his music. If you wanted something grander than that, turn away now.

One thing I
Jeff
Jan 07, 2015 Jeff rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who is a fan of The Doors and biographies in general.
Recommended to Jeff by: Discovered it on my own.
1st Read: January 24, 1996 - January 25, 1996 (*** Rating)

I feel much the same about this book of poetry as I did about, Wilderness: The Lost Writings of Jim Morrison, Volume 1. The guy had an incredible knack for words and writing.

I much prefer listening to their music, especially the stuff that media hasn't force-fed to the masses a million times over! I would fall over from pure shock and be a happy man if I were to hear "Take it as it Comes", "Moonlight Drive" or something from the overlo
Christine
Nov 15, 2011 Christine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Containing a partial screenplay and copious amounts of lusty and trippy poetry, The American Night represents for me the true poet beneath the famous���often infamous���front man, Jim Morrison. Revealing even more about death and society than some of his original lyrics, these pieces form a liberating, yet provocative and stimulating, style unique to Morrison. A perfect supplement to the music of The Doors, Morrison's poetic distinction is stirred by the smooth sounds and distinct vocabulary of ...more
Brady Reichert
Feb 27, 2011 Brady Reichert rated it it was amazing
Jim Morrison was the front man for the band, The Doors, in the 60's. He always wrote controversial lyrics in his songs about war, death, sex and love. He always considered himself more of an American poet than a rock star. This collection of poems and songs shows that he truly was a great poet. The collection varies from poems that have never been published before to songs that have been hits back in the 60’s. Most of his poems have some kind of order and rhyme scheme but some are just scatterbr ...more
Austin Chatillon-reed
Apr 15, 2010 Austin Chatillon-reed rated it really liked it
This book is a vibrant collection of Jim Morrison's work. Morrison proves himself as a true poet several times. Although some of his works are not amazing, there are a good number of poems and pieces that stand out. The poem "Awake" was my favorite in the whole collection. The first line of this poem really speaks to me, it goes: "Awake, shake dreams from your hair, my child, my sweet one." It is this sort of writing that hooked me as a fan of Morrison's poetry, and I have reread his poems many ...more
Amanda Hains
Apr 19, 2016 Amanda Hains rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, poetry
I find this to be the strongest of Morrison's poetry, more so than ''Lords and New Creatures,'' which could be quite disjointed and overly symbolic (i.e. massive tripping...like, tooooo much tripping, when things don't mean what you think they mean, it's all just a blob of your subconscious crap that seems massively relevant at the time.) This collection actually has merit as literature, and showcases the best of a very talented but very troubled mind.
Traci
Jun 04, 2015 Traci rated it it was amazing
As crazy as ol' Jim clearly was, something about his poetry speaks to me. I don't know what's gonna happen, but I'm gonna get my kicks before the whole shit house goes up in flames. Pure poetry.
Nick Vona
Jan 17, 2015 Nick Vona rated it really liked it
The lost writings of Jim Morrison includes some of his most famous poems that were turned into songs. Because he is categorized as a "music" person. He is well underated as a poet in my opinion.
Jennifer Stevens
May 14, 2014 Jennifer Stevens rated it really liked it
He was a powerful visionary.
Nikki Omillian
Jan 29, 2016 Nikki Omillian rated it it was amazing
A book you don't let people borrow. You will never get it back.
Autumn Fonder
Nov 07, 2016 Autumn Fonder rated it it was amazing
I love how they separated the types of poems in the book that he wrote. Each one had a significance that made them lovely poetry pieces. I loved going through the book and sticky noting the ones I really liked, or the ones I couldn't understand.
Lennon
Mar 11, 2017 Lennon rated it really liked it
Dark, gothic, honest and poignant. The dark poet at work. #whereareyoujimmorrison
Julia Rodriguez
Dec 31, 2016 Julia Rodriguez rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars
Christine
Containing a partial screenplay and copious amounts of lusty and trippy poetry, The American Night represents for me the true poet beneath the famous—often infamous—front man, Jim Morrison. Revealing even more about death and society than some of his original lyrics, these pieces form a liberating, yet provocative and stimulating, style unique to Morrison. A perfect supplement to the music of The Doors, Morrison's poetic distinction is stirred by the smooth sounds and distinct vocabulary of his ...more
Donald Armfield
Jul 08, 2014 Donald Armfield rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
"Celebration of the Lizard" is a four star by itself. What was a planned celebration, that was written and added to from 1965 until his death. Left unfinished.

Feast Green Beast from notebook collections is bizarre and metaphor city. 5★ for that piece.

Others found in this collection

-The Soft Parade
-Curses & Invocations
- & The Cool Fluttering
-Planes Are Groaning Mothers

Of the whole collection I say 3.5 some parts are either strongly metaphored or the rest of it went to the grave with Mo
Nevermind 4 20 Mar 25, 2013 12:51PM
  • Early Work, 1970-1979
  • Crazy Diamond: Syd Barrett and the Dawn of Pink Floyd
  • Fear of Dreaming: The Selected Poems
  • Cobain Unseen
James Douglas Morrison was an American singer, poet, songwriter, writer, and film director. He is best known as the lead singer and lyricist of The Doors, and is widely considered to be one of the most charismatic and influential frontmen in rock music. He was also the author of several books of poetry and the director of a documentary and short film.
More about Jim Morrison...