Start by marking “The American Night: The Lost Writings, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
The American Night: The Lost Writings, Vol. 2

The American Night: The Lost Writings, Vol. 2

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  2,040 ratings  ·  62 reviews
THE AMERICAN NIGHT presents Morrison's previously unpublished work in its truest form. WIth their nightmarish images, bold associative leaps, and volcanic power of emotion, these works are the unmistakable artifacts of a great, wild voice and heart.
Published July 30th 1991 by Vintage (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The American Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The American Night

The Complete Poems by Emily DickinsonLeaves of Grass by Walt WhitmanShakespeare's Sonnets by William ShakespeareThe Waste Land and Other Poems by T.S. EliotAriel by Sylvia Plath
Best Poetry Books
167th out of 1,505 books — 1,672 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien
Books you have read 7 times
268th out of 344 books — 105 voters

More lists with this book...

Jason Koivu
Welcome to the American Night...

I didn't understand what it meant and yet it meant so much to me, this immature 18-year-old still finding out about the world by inserting himself into the universe of others. Along came Jim Morrison, singer/poet, a forever-young manchild...so appealing to a youth entering adulthood unwillingly.

Morrison's words, scribbled out in notebooks upon rooftops in Venice, California, would become the basis of lyrics to the inflammatory songs created by late '60s rockers T
Ammar
Jim Morrison should have lived in some phantastic ubber cool, mind blowing community with The Doors, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsberg, Hunter S. Thompson, and all should have write a piece together and what The American Night is like a poetic masterpiece by a poet turn singer. A must read for all free minds out there.
Celine
Everyone goes through their Jim Morrison phase, right?
Jeff
Feb 02, 2015 Jeff rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who is a fan of The Doors and biographies in general.
Recommended to Jeff by: The voices in my head.
1st Read: (January 23, 1996)

Feel much the same about this book of poetry as I did about "Wilderness: The Lost Writings of Jim Morrison, Volume 1". The guy had an incredible knack for words and writing.

I much prefer listening to their music, especially the stuff that media hasn't force-fed to the masses a millions over! I would fall over dead and be a happy man if I were to hear "Take it as it Comes", "Moonlight Drive" or something from "The Soft Parade" album on these so called "Classic Rock
R.
Jim Morrison lived for years in Astoria, Oregon.

Permanent sunburnt cheeks (not rosy health) from summers on a tuna boat in the Alaskan waters.

"It's a good honest living, man."

He draped his wiry body in a great white coat and mumbled to himself in line at Safeway, sustaining an existence on Marlboros, Miller Genuine Drafts and beef jerky.

"It's good and honest to live, man. Live and learn."

"What about the bath tub? What about Paris?"

"What about Paris, man? That was another Jim. That was another
Kristopher Taylor
Mar 14, 2014 Kristopher Taylor rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Poets
Recommended to Kristopher by: My mother
Shelves: poetry
Fluidity is key, and Morrison always had a ring of them like a rogue custodian, often peeking into rooms clearly labeled "Do Not Disturb". This is the definitive collection of 'The Lizard King's' poetry, despite the fact that it is the second volume in the collection. This collection displays Morrison's true potential as a poet, more-so than his lyrics or even his previous works (The Lords & New Creatures/ Wilderness). It also shows the diversity of his work. Through The American Night you f ...more
Clay
May 10, 2010 Clay rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
Jim Morrison seems to be comfortable with nightmare, exploring confidently in places where others would try to force themselves awake.

Some of these poems are unintelligible to me, yet they still invoke emotion with their texture and imagery.
Other poems that seem unintelligible at first blush become powerful with a more careful reading.

It was a very good read.

"Naked we come
& bruised we go
nude pastry
for the slow soft worms
below"
Craig
Mar 04, 2015 Craig rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: music
It's worth reading for "The Hitchhiker" short script alone. It is also cool to see song lyrics in their expanded poetical form. The imagery throughout the book is incredible.
Donald Armfield
"Celebration of the Lizard" is a four star by itself. What was a planned celebration, that was written and added to from 1965 until his death. Left unfinished.

Feast Green Beast from notebook collections is bizarre and metaphor city. 5 for that piece.

Others found in this collection

-The Soft Parade
-Curses & Invocations
- & The Cool Fluttering
-Planes Are Groaning Mothers

Of the whole collection I say 3.5 some parts are either strongly metaphored or the rest of it went to the grave with Mor
Tonya
My ex recommended this book. At least he was good for something.
Missy
The Basics

A collection of poetry, lyrics, and prose by Jim Morrison, lead singer of The Doors.

My Thoughts

I don’t feel qualified to talk about poetry in a greater, broader sense of the term, as in encompassing a whole genre. I don’t read enough of it to be able to do that. I can’t compare Morrison’s work to anyone, because I wouldn’t know how. I can only really talk about his work from the standpoint of being a fan of his music. If you wanted something grander than that, turn away now.

One thing I
Debopriyaa
I had actually saved up money to buy this book and I NEVER save money.
Besides being a Doors fan and absolutely drooling over Jim Morrison, I was more enchanted by Jim, the poet, the prophet.

The American Night is a gold mine, full of terrifyingly beautiful poetry, to which you can relate in your own way. Its dark, twisted, yet truthful & beautiful.
Jim's mind must have been so enticingly dark.
All hail the lizard king.

He'll remain in our hearts forever.
Christine
Containing a partial screenplay and copious amounts of lusty and trippy poetry, The American Night represents for me the true poet beneath the famousoften infamousfront man, Jim Morrison. Revealing even more about death and society than some of his original lyrics, these pieces form a liberating, yet provocative and stimulating, style unique to Morrison. A perfect supplement to the music of The Doors, Morrison's poetic distinction is stirred by the smooth sounds and distinct vocabulary of his ve ...more
Christine
Containing a partial screenplay and copious amounts of lusty and trippy poetry, The American Night represents for me the true poet beneath the famous—often infamous—front man, Jim Morrison. Revealing even more about death and society than some of his original lyrics, these pieces form a liberating, yet provocative and stimulating, style unique to Morrison. A perfect supplement to the music of The Doors, Morrison's poetic distinction is stirred by the smooth sounds and distinct vocabulary of his ...more
Nick Vona
The lost writings of Jim Morrison includes some of his most famous poems that were turned into songs. Because he is categorized as a "music" person. He is well underated as a poet in my opinion.
Brady Reichert
Jim Morrison was the front man for the band, The Doors, in the 60's. He always wrote controversial lyrics in his songs about war, death, sex and love. He always considered himself more of an American poet than a rock star. This collection of poems and songs shows that he truly was a great poet. The collection varies from poems that have never been published before to songs that have been hits back in the 60’s. Most of his poems have some kind of order and rhyme scheme but some are just scatterbr ...more
Austin Chatillon-reed
This book is a vibrant collection of Jim Morrison's work. Morrison proves himself as a true poet several times. Although some of his works are not amazing, there are a good number of poems and pieces that stand out. The poem "Awake" was my favorite in the whole collection. The first line of this poem really speaks to me, it goes: "Awake, shake dreams from your hair, my child, my sweet one." It is this sort of writing that hooked me as a fan of Morrison's poetry, and I have reread his poems many ...more
Aljo Pereira
Si el escritor puede escribir y el granjero puede sembrar, entonces todos los milagros confluyen.
Patrick McFarland
The leftovers that didn't make it into Wilderness. Strictly for Morrison/Doors fans.
pedro
Feb 10, 2014 pedro added it
my letter buitufull not dead flower but for love so stronge not give up .
Jennifer Stevens
He was a powerful visionary.
Iceman
Esta obra é claramente um aproveitamento da fase cultural que se vivia. Na altura, principios da década de 90, vivia-se num culto permanente ao Doors e a Jim Morrison. O filme estava aí nos cinemas e a editora aproveitou para lançar este volume que é apenas uma compilação de poemas soltos que Jim deixou espalhado por vários locais, alguns já publicados.
Em todo o caso é uma belíssima obra que nos permite conhecer a poesia de Jim Morrison.
Brenda
El poemario más sincero que he leído. Morrison no quería crear poesía, no pretendía hacer literatura. Sólo pretendía plasmar en hojas sueltas aquello que le atormentaba. Los pensamientos de una mente brillante. Amor, muerte y soledad. Es un poemario que emociona.

La gran autopista
de complacer
y olvidar.

Soledad.

Samantha
For what it is, this collection of poem and prose is entertaining, as well as thought provoking. This collection gives a deeper look into the troubled, beautiful mind of Jim Morrison.

"Sentence upon sentence.
Words are healing.

Words got me the wound
And will get me well

If you believe it"
Tina Edwards
I'm not really a fan of Jim Morrison's poetry. I love The Doors song lyrics though and I know they began as poetry. It's just the poems I've read of his that aren't song lyrics I just can't connect to. This book has song of the lyrics in it, though and thats why I've hung on to it.
jim morrison was a natural born poet,with a dreamers mind.his writings are diverse and a look into his perceptions of the world.he speaks spiritually, manifesting himself into otherwordly,animalistic, forms in his works.he was a great musician and great creator of stories.
Maggie Moore
Jun 16, 2013 Maggie Moore rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: most people
I LOVE this book. I'm not a Doors fan. I'm too young to really know or appreciate their music, but I picked this up a few years ago at a party, read it, stole it (from the party), and I frequent it often. As far as 'poetry' goes, this is an amazing book.
Jen
Most of these poems will be familiar to Doors fans because they eventually became lyrics to songs or intros to songs at live shows. My favorite from this volume is still:

do you have
straight jackets
for the guests
yes we do
Karen
My favorite book of poetry and lyrics by one of my favorite singers. Jim Morrison's writings either leave you scratching your head wondering 'what the f was he thinking?' or in a sense of awe. simply one of the books ever.
Emmanue Arcniega
its about passion,peom, and talk about one part live and another part death.Jim Morrison right peotry about earth,life,and death.Jim is the lead singer of The Doors.He sings about his peotry.And some of his songs are on the book.
Nevermind 4 20 Mar 25, 2013 12:51PM
  • Void of Course
  • These Are My Rivers: New and Selected Poems, 1955-1993
  • The Outlaw Bible of American Poetry
  • Tarantula
James Douglas Morrison was an American singer, poet, songwriter, writer, and film director. He is best known as the lead singer and lyricist of The Doors, and is widely considered to be one of the most charismatic and influential frontmen in rock music. He was also the author of several books of poetry and the director of a documentary and short film.
More about Jim Morrison...
Wilderness: The Lost Writings, Vol. 1 The Lords and the New Creatures An American Prayer Eyes: Poetry, 1967-1971 Tempesta elettrica: poesie e scritti perduti