Start by marking “The Selected Stories of Philip K. Dick, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
The Selected Stories of Philip K. Dick, Volume 1

The Selected Stories of Philip K. Dick, Volume 1

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  9 reviews
This collection of nine of Philip K. Dick's outstanding short works includes "The Minority Report," "Progeny," "The Exit Door Leads In," "A Little Something for Us Tempunauts," "The Last of the Masters," "The Preserving Machine," "Novelty Act," "The War with the Fnools," and "The Electric Ant."
Audio CD, 1 page
Published November 1st 2008 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published February 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Selected Stories of Philip K. Dick, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Selected Stories of Philip K. Dick, Volume 1

I'm usually not a big fan of short stories but I really enjoyed listening to these snippets of sci-fi what ifs in the car. Well, the first half anyway. Almost wish I'd never gotten it back from the library - the second half was pretty tedious. I ate up the stories which end in a satisfying cynical twist, like The Exit Door Leads In or Progeny. I enjoyed those that aren't exactly great works of fiction but leave you with cool thinky thoughts, like A Little Someth
1. Autofac
2. Progeny
3. The Exit Door Leads In
4. A Little Something for Us Tempunauts
5. The Last of the Masters
6. The Preserving Machine
7. Novelty Act
8. The War with the Pfenulees (sp)
9. The Electric Ant
A good mix -- some seminal works (look for the seeds of Berserkers in "Autofac"), some hilarious, some prophetic. "The Electric Ant" seemed run of the mill, until the last page put an icicle around my spine.
Like volume 2 (which I finished first), a mixed bag of funny and barely funny stories. "A Little Something for Us Tempunauts" maintains its grim facade, but "The War with the Fnools" is too silly to laugh at.

Because each story is read by a different narrator, it's difficult to generalize about the voice quality. However, the division of the book into one track per story is an abomination.
Made it to the third-to-last story. While some of the plots had interesting topics, the old-style sci-fi sexism was bothersome and the audio book readers were poor and extremely irritating, so moving on.
Not a bad read. After a while, you could kinda tell where the story was going. Not formulaic, but not entirely unique.
A mixed bag, some really good, some not as good. Glad I read it, regardless.
Spotty. "The Exit Door Leads In" and "The Electric Ant" are classic.
He's a little violent.
Every story was great.
Jason marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Mahreen Khan
Mahreen Khan marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Amcii Cullum
Amcii Cullum marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Pyrh marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Oren added it
Jan 01, 2015
Julie marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Gabriel Frazee
Gabriel Frazee marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Lee Nelson
Lee Nelson marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Betony marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Philip K. Dick was born in Chicago in 1928 and lived most of his life in California. In 1952, he began writing professionally and proceeded to write numerous novels and short-story collections. He won the Hugo Award for the best novel in 1962 for The Man in the High Castle and the John W. Campbell Memorial Award for best novel of the year in 1974 for Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said. Philip K. Di ...more
More about Philip K. Dick...
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? The Man in the High Castle A Scanner Darkly Ubik Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said