The Selected Stories of Philip K. Dick, Volume 1

The Selected Stories of Philip K. Dick, Volume 1

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  9 reviews
This collection of nine of Philip K. Dick's outstanding short works includes "The Minority Report," "Progeny," "The Exit Door Leads In," "A Little Something for Us Tempunauts," "The Last of the Masters," "The Preserving Machine," "Novelty Act," "The War with the Fnools," and "The Electric Ant."
Audio CD, 1 page
Published November 1st 2008 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published February 2008)

Rebecca
OMG THE MACHINES ARE TAKING OVER!
I'm usually not a big fan of short stories but I really enjoyed listening to these snippets of sci-fi what ifs in the car. Well, the first half anyway. Almost wish I'd never gotten it back from the library - the second half was pretty tedious. I ate up the stories which end in a satisfying cynical twist, like The Exit Door Leads In or Progeny. I enjoyed those that aren't exactly great works of fiction but leave you with cool thinky thoughts, like A Little Someth...more
Mike
4. A Little Something for Us Tempunauts
5. The Last of the Masters
6. The Preserving Machine
7. Novelty Act
8. The War with the Pfenulees (sp)
9. The Electric Ant
A good mix -- some seminal works (look for the seeds of Berserkers in "Autofac"), some hilarious, some prophetic. "The Electric Ant" seemed run of the mill, until the last page put an icicle around my spine.
Thomas
Like volume 2 (which I finished first), a mixed bag of funny and barely funny stories. "A Little Something for Us Tempunauts" maintains its grim facade, but "The War with the Fnools" is too silly to laugh at.

Because each story is read by a different narrator, it's difficult to generalize about the voice quality. However, the division of the book into one track per story is an abomination.
Tim
Made it to the third-to-last story. While some of the plots had interesting topics, the old-style sci-fi sexism was bothersome and the audio book readers were poor and extremely irritating, so moving on.
Kyle
Not a bad read. After a while, you could kinda tell where the story was going. Not formulaic, but not entirely unique.
Thom
A mixed bag, some really good, some not as good. Glad I read it, regardless.
Bryan
Spotty. "The Exit Door Leads In" and "The Electric Ant" are classic.
Quincy
He's a little violent.
Steven Rumfelt
Steven Rumfelt marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Kevin
Kevin is currently reading it
Nov 14, 2013
Karen Roman
Karen Roman marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2013
Merely Blink
Merely Blink marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2013
Michelle Tung
Michelle Tung marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Philip K. Dick was born in Chicago in 1928 and lived most of his life in California. He briefly attended the University of California, but dropped out before completing any classes. In 1952, he began writing professionally and proceeded to write numerous novels and short-story collections. He won the Hugo Award for the best novel in 1962 for The Man in the High Castle and the John W. Campbell Memo...more
More about Philip K. Dick...
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? A Scanner Darkly The Man in the High Castle Ubik Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said