Start by marking “The Rembrandt Book” as Want to Read:
The Rembrandt Book

The Rembrandt Book

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  22 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
With international attention focused on the 400th anniversary of Rembrandt von Rijn's birth, the world's leading Rembrandt expert weighs in with a penetrating -- and accessible -- examination of the Dutch master's life and art from both the biographical and the art historical perspective.
Rembrandt was an esteemed artist in his own time as well as in the present, yet there
Published November 8th 2006 by Harry N. Abrams (first published October 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Rembrandt Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rembrandt Book

Lydia
Jan 05, 2015 Lydia rated it it was amazing
Whew, big book, but probably the best one out there on Rembrandt, his life, his themes, his methods, and hundreds of color illustrations.
Peter
Jun 06, 2008 Peter rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
This is a beautiful book. I picked it up at the local library and have been pouring over it at length. It's gives a comprehensive overview of the life and work, in a way that makes it very clear. I love his drawings so much. Are you a fan of Robert Crumb? There's more than a little Rembrandt in his style. Rembrandt can also be seen as the visual equivalent of William Shakespeare.
Michelle
Dec 30, 2014 Michelle rated it liked it
This book covered more of the circumstances surrounding Rembrandt's art - rather than the art itself. Not what I was personally looking for, but I did learn quite a bit about the world of the Netherlands during Rembrandt's time and the circumstances in his life and friendships that contributed to his choices in his art. This is not the book if you're looking for personal insight into his work.
J.
Feb 27, 2015 J. rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I did not read all of this book, but I did use it for a project on Rembrandt, and it is very useful and comprehensive. It familiarizes me with Rembrandt's style, technique and subject matter, to the poit where I can easily distinguish between his works and the works of other artists of the period. Also, the background information of the paintings was very useful.
Suzan
Suzan rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
John
John rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2015
Justin
Justin rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2015
Allen Morse
Allen Morse rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2015
Marlon
Marlon added it
Feb 11, 2015
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Leni
Leni marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Wayne
Wayne rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2014
Andrea Engle
Andrea Engle rated it really liked it
May 29, 2014
Liuying
Liuying rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2014
Kris
Kris rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2014
Marc
Marc added it
Dec 30, 2013
Iyera Askerova
Iyera Askerova marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2013
Ken
Ken added it
May 21, 2013
Sariq
Sariq marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2013
Hal
Hal marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2012
Vince
Vince rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2012
Robin Lester
Robin Lester rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2012
Avery
Avery marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2012
Dyer
Dyer marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2011
Cprusik
Cprusik marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2011
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2011