Start by marking “Children of Chaos (Dodec, #1)” as Want to Read:
Children of Chaos (Dodec, #1)

Children of Chaos (Dodec #1)

On a dodecahedral world in thrall to the tyrannical, war-obsessed Hrag dynasty, no one could stop the Bloodlord from sending troops to Florengia, invading its major cities, and offering them a choice between strict colonial rule or immediate and total destruction. When the doge of Celebre was faced with this ultimatum, he gave his children up as hostages so that the rest o ...more
Published February 6th 2007 by Tor Fantasy (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Children of Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Children of Chaos

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre DumasThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanThe Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre DumasTreasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonThe Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska Orczy
Swashbucklers
397 books — 380 voters
The Sacred Band by Janet E. MorrisThe Complete Chronicles of Conan by Robert E. HowardElric of Melniboné by Michael MoorcockSwords and Deviltry by Fritz LeiberThe Fish the Fighters and the Song-Girl by Janet E. Morris
Sword and Sorcery
466 books — 339 voters

More lists with this book...

Mary Holland
Jul 17, 2013 Mary Holland rated it it was amazing
The four children of the Doge of Celebre are taken hostage by the warlord Stralg. Each child becomes the devotee of a particular god, who gives certain powers but also extracts a corban, a penalty the devotee must pay. Children of Chaos is the first book of a two-part series, and it's one of Duncan's more elaborate world-building efforts. The planet, or world, of Dodec is a literal dodecahedron and the action takes place on two of the contiguous faces.
As the children grow into their powers they
Kelly Flanagan
Aug 26, 2013 Kelly Flanagan rated it really liked it
this was a good book. I enjoyed it immensely except one part near the end where the characters are upping secrets to each other. I found that conversation so dry and false that it took me away from the story instantly and worried me that the rest would be the same, it was almost as if someone added in that scene or edited it wrong. Anyways the irritating part ended quickly and the book went on to be as good as the beginning.
Hence, 4 stars instead of 5
Janet
Jan 09, 2008 Janet rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I got this book as a joke because the description sounded so hokey, the names were so goofy, and the cover was so bad, but, surprise! I really liked it. Good solid fantasy, with an involving plot that wasn't too convoluted. I liked the shape changers that gradually lose the ability to change back. And some pluses: no kids hatching out dragons! No mysterious elves! No mighty wizards! No bards running around with lutes!
Tim Hicks
Dec 31, 2016 Tim Hicks rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I may have to revise this rating after reading #2. This one's good enough that I will read #2 just to see what Duncan does with this somewhat laborious setup.

He's obviously put a lot of work into the worldbuilding, and if I choose not to believe in the 12-sided world apparently all will be explained in #2, so I'll reserve judgement.

Maybe too much worldbuilding? Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos series also has many gods, but has a whoel novel for each and then some; and each god's followers don't tak
Paul Weimer
May 05, 2009 Paul Weimer rated it really liked it
Duncan takes a well worn formula, and adds a few twists and his own deft touch on characters in Children of Chaos, the first of the two Dodec fantasy novels.

The medieval fantasy world Dodecians believe they live on a twelve sided world (a note in the novel suggests that the truth will be revealed in the sequel and is more complex than this). This twelve sided fantasy world is looked over by 12 very active Gods (and one Anti-God), and boasts a variety of societies, one on each of the faces of the
Diane
Fifteen years ago, the four children of the doge of Celebre were taken hostage by the invading army of a foreign bloodlord in order to insure their father's cooperation with the bloodlord's political aims. The children were sent over the edge of the world, into the homeland of the invaders, where they were separated and given into the care of foster families. Now, as the tides of war begin to change, the children - now grown - are reunited, and their aim is to overthrow the dynasty of the bloodl ...more
Kirstie
Nov 15, 2013 Kirstie rated it really liked it
I really liked this book! I first read it back in the day when I was scouring the Fantasy section for anything written by Dave Duncan, and didn't hesitate to add it to my Kindle later on.

Once again, Dave Duncan's world-building had me hooked: the people in this world believe the world is made of 12 faces... which is odd, but the author does note that humans once thought the world was flat, so there you go!

The story begins during a precursor to war between two of the faces, Vigaelia and Florengia
John
Aug 18, 2008 John rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
This was a fun and fast read, but ultimately light. It's the first part of a two part story, and it never really engaged me.

The setting is a twelve sided world. At the start of the book, a group of children are taken from one of the pentagonal faces to another, as war hostages. The siblings are split up, and the book takes place years later, after they have all grown up among their people's occupiers.

Each chapter uses one of the children as its point of view character. The plot is fairly simple
Sean Randall
Aug 20, 2012 Sean Randall rated it really liked it
An excellently crafted opener in Duncan's remarkable style. Benad, Orlard and Frena are all vividly painted and styled so distinctly and differently that any concerns that you might confuse them are instantly dispelled.

The witnesses are very cleverly done; I like the semantics and sheer gall they employ, although Mist's apostasy seems radical given the milieu. Still, a minor niggle in a very well paced and intriguing series of intrigue and I'm eagerly looking forward to the next.

I have decided
Christopher
Aug 31, 2008 Christopher rated it liked it
Dave Duncan is an author I consumed while in college but had not read since. This is one of his newer novels. I saw it at the library and thought I'd give it a try.
Not bad. As there is only one more in this series I'll probably pick it from the library up at some point.

Not a subtle book but it is entertaining.

Duncan sets up a world that seemingly follows very strict rules (of magic and such) and then winds it up his story and lets it go.
Donna Jo Atwood
Feb 20, 2011 Donna Jo Atwood rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Four young children taken hostage and separated. Now the fate of their birth nation depends on them. They don't know each other, and when they meet, they don't all like each other.
This book was pretty slow. It is a set up for the next book The Mother of Lies, which I hope will move at a little swifter pace and plot. I love most of Dave Duncan's books, but this one was a place holder.
Rick
Feb 15, 2014 Rick rated it really liked it
Love Dave Duncan's worlds and mythology. This one is one of best. It's also one of two, not a huge epic to have to get through!
Ratforce
Dave Duncan is known for bringing an offhand, breezy humor to dark fantasy stories. The combination of dark, adventurous fantasy and Duncan’s sense of humor may appeal to you.
Carolyn
Feb 09, 2011 Carolyn rated it really liked it
A fun, different read. I really like the world he created and very much appreciated the lack of unnecessary sex, language, and violence. Already looking forward to the sequel.
Dee
Dee rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2011
Casey
Casey rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2017
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Fiddler
Fiddler rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2012
Sarah rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2012
xXRossiya AruXx
xXRossiya AruXx rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2009
Tom
Tom rated it did not like it
Jan 26, 2009
Dlaz
Dlaz rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2012
Nikki
Nikki rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2012
Elvet
Elvet rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2010
Darrell E.
Darrell E. rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2012
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2010
Joel Goldstein
Joel Goldstein rated it did not like it
Jan 03, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2012
Laura rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2010
Courtney Boniface
Courtney Boniface rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Children of Amarid (Lon Tobyn Chronicle #1)
  • Regeneration (Species Imperative, #3)
  • The Prince of Shadow (Seven Brothers, #1)
  • Whiskey and Water (Promethean Age, #2)
  • Captain Nemo
  • Blood Ties (Castings, #1)
  • Cagebird (Warchild #3)
  • Adieux et retrouvailles (L'assassin royal, #13)
  • The End of the Game (The End of the Game, #1-3)
  • The Tourmaline (Princess of Roumania, #2)
  • Across the Face of the World (Fire of Heaven, #1)
  • Iron Dawn (Heart of Bronze, #1)
  • Dragonshadow (Winterlands, #2)
  • The Snow Queen
  • Fortress Draconis (The DragonCrown War Cycle, #1)
  • Passion Play
  • Den of Thieves (Ancient Blades, #1)
  • Sleeping Beauty, Indeed & Other Lesbian Fairytales

Dodec (2 books)
  • Mother of Lies (Dodec, #2)