Start by marking “Children of Chaos (Dodec, #1)” as Want to Read:
Children of Chaos (Dodec, #1)

Children of Chaos (Dodec #1)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  321 ratings  ·  21 reviews
On a dodecahedral world in thrall to the tyrannical, war-obsessed Hrag dynasty, no one could stop the Bloodlord from sending troops to Florengia, invading its major cities, and offering them a choice between strict colonial rule or immediate and total destruction. When the doge of Celebre was faced with this ultimatum, he gave his children up as hostages so that the rest o ...more
Published February 6th 2007 by Tor Fantasy (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Children of Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Children of Chaos

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre DumasThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanThe Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre DumasTreasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonThe Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska Orczy
344th out of 351 books — 344 voters
The Sacred Band by Janet E. MorrisElric of Melniboné by Michael MoorcockThe Complete Chronicles of Conan by Robert E. HowardThe Fish the Fighters and the Song-Girl by Janet E. MorrisSwords and Deviltry by Fritz Leiber
Sword and Sorcery
286th out of 380 books — 302 voters

More lists with this book...

Mary Holland
The four children of the Doge of Celebre are taken hostage by the warlord Stralg. Each child becomes the devotee of a particular god, who gives certain powers but also extracts a corban, a penalty the devotee must pay. Children of Chaos is the first book of a two-part series, and it's one of Duncan's more elaborate world-building efforts. The planet, or world, of Dodec is a literal dodecahedron and the action takes place on two of the contiguous faces.
As the children grow into their powers they
Kelly Flanagan
this was a good book. I enjoyed it immensely except one part near the end where the characters are upping secrets to each other. I found that conversation so dry and false that it took me away from the story instantly and worried me that the rest would be the same, it was almost as if someone added in that scene or edited it wrong. Anyways the irritating part ended quickly and the book went on to be as good as the beginning.
Hence, 4 stars instead of 5
I got this book as a joke because the description sounded so hokey, the names were so goofy, and the cover was so bad, but, surprise! I really liked it. Good solid fantasy, with an involving plot that wasn't too convoluted. I liked the shape changers that gradually lose the ability to change back. And some pluses: no kids hatching out dragons! No mysterious elves! No mighty wizards! No bards running around with lutes!
Paul Weimer
Duncan takes a well worn formula, and adds a few twists and his own deft touch on characters in Children of Chaos, the first of the two Dodec fantasy novels.

The medieval fantasy world Dodecians believe they live on a twelve sided world (a note in the novel suggests that the truth will be revealed in the sequel and is more complex than this). This twelve sided fantasy world is looked over by 12 very active Gods (and one Anti-God), and boasts a variety of societies, one on each of the faces of the
Fifteen years ago, the four children of the doge of Celebre were taken hostage by the invading army of a foreign bloodlord in order to insure their father's cooperation with the bloodlord's political aims. The children were sent over the edge of the world, into the homeland of the invaders, where they were separated and given into the care of foster families. Now, as the tides of war begin to change, the children - now grown - are reunited, and their aim is to overthrow the dynasty of the bloodl ...more
I really liked this book! I first read it back in the day when I was scouring the Fantasy section for anything written by Dave Duncan, and didn't hesitate to add it to my Kindle later on.

Once again, Dave Duncan's world-building had me hooked: the people in this world believe the world is made of 12 faces... which is odd, but the author does note that humans once thought the world was flat, so there you go!

The story begins during a precursor to war between two of the faces, Vigaelia and Florengia
This was a fun and fast read, but ultimately light. It's the first part of a two part story, and it never really engaged me.

The setting is a twelve sided world. At the start of the book, a group of children are taken from one of the pentagonal faces to another, as war hostages. The siblings are split up, and the book takes place years later, after they have all grown up among their people's occupiers.

Each chapter uses one of the children as its point of view character. The plot is fairly simple
Love Dave Duncan's worlds and mythology. This one is one of best. It's also one of two, not a huge epic to have to get through!
Sean Randall
An excellently crafted opener in Duncan's remarkable style. Benad, Orlard and Frena are all vividly painted and styled so distinctly and differently that any concerns that you might confuse them are instantly dispelled.

The witnesses are very cleverly done; I like the semantics and sheer gall they employ, although Mist's apostasy seems radical given the milieu. Still, a minor niggle in a very well paced and intriguing series of intrigue and I'm eagerly looking forward to the next.

I have decided
Christopher Dodd
Dave Duncan is an author I consumed while in college but had not read since. This is one of his newer novels. I saw it at the library and thought I'd give it a try.
Not bad. As there is only one more in this series I'll probably pick it from the library up at some point.

Not a subtle book but it is entertaining.

Duncan sets up a world that seemingly follows very strict rules (of magic and such) and then winds it up his story and lets it go.
Donna Jo Atwood
Four young children taken hostage and separated. Now the fate of their birth nation depends on them. They don't know each other, and when they meet, they don't all like each other.
This book was pretty slow. It is a set up for the next book The Mother of Lies, which I hope will move at a little swifter pace and plot. I love most of Dave Duncan's books, but this one was a place holder.
A fun, different read. I really like the world he created and very much appreciated the lack of unnecessary sex, language, and violence. Already looking forward to the sequel.
Dave Duncan is known for bringing an offhand, breezy humor to dark fantasy stories. The combination of dark, adventurous fantasy and Duncan’s sense of humor may appeal to you.
It was just average, cliched fantasy for me. I don't want to say this particular genre of fantasy is dead, but...
It was hokey, but pretty engaging. Not bad, but not great. I'd consider it an airplane book.
Very good but why couldn't it be published with the sequel in one volume?
Better than I thought..always good when a book has a great finish
Interesting world of gods and those who follow them.
Brilliant fantasy romp.
David Korinetz
I didn't finish this book.
Good escape.
Jason W
Jason W marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Sarah Arnette
Sarah Arnette marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
A.K. Skelding
A.K. Skelding marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Mitya added it
Nov 08, 2015
Kiah marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
  • The Prince of Shadow (Seven Brothers, #1)
  • Regeneration (Species Imperative, #3)
  • Captain Nemo
  • Blood Ties (Castings, #1)
  • Whiskey and Water (Promethean Age, #2)
  • Passion Play
  • The End of the Game (Jinian #1-3)
  • Dragonshadow (Winterlands, #2)
  • Cagebird (Warchild #3)
  • Iron Dawn (Heart of Bronze, #1)
  • Children of Amarid (Lon Tobyn Chronicle #1)
  • The First Stone (The Last Rune, #6)
  • La secte maudite (L'assassin royal, #8)
  • Sleeping Beauty, Indeed & Other Lesbian Fairytales
  • Cadmian's Choice (Corean Chronicles, #5)
  • The Snow Queen
  • Blackwater
  • Exiles Of The Stars (Moon Magic, #2)

Dodec (2 books)
  • Mother of Lies (Dodec, #2)