Start by marking “The Living God (A Handful of Men, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Living God (A Handful of Men, #4)

The Living God (A Handful of Men #4)

The sorcerer Zinixo had declared himself the Almighty. Now goblin hordes ravish the Impire. Dragons incinerate entire legions. And the slave-sorcerers of the Covin practice whatever barbarities Zinixo requires. It is only a matter of time before the mad Zinixo is almighty in fact as well as name -- unless Rap of Krasnegar can conjure up a miracle . . .
Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Published August 29th 1994 by Del Rey (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Living God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Living God

Algernon
Mar 09, 2017 Algernon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017

The end of the journey is near! and the closer we get to the final confrontation between a handful of rebels and the evil mastermind that threatens to enslave the whole world of Pandemia, the more this fantasy epic series resembles classics like "Lord of the Rings" or "Star Wars". But it's OK, because by this time most readers are probably fully implicated in the fate of their favorite character, either the older generation that has already fought one war to save the continent, or by the younger
Kyra
Dec 25, 2015 Kyra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sammy
Nov 25, 2015 Sammy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, fantasy
As expected, everything comes together in this final book, and just when everything seems utterly lost, the tables are turned and the heroes prevail. The manner in which this was going to happen had been glaringly obvious for the better part of the past two books, but I don't think this detracted from the enjoyment of the book.
This is pure fantasy escapism, and the entire series thrives on what Duncan does best (and, in my opinion, better than anyone else) - the wonderfully original system of m
Sbuchler
Jun 12, 2008 Sbuchler rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sbuchler by: Sabrina
Aditya /
Jul 11, 2015 Aditya / rated it it was ok
I am a big fan of Dave Duncan and of rap. However, part of what I like about his characters are their high sense of loyalty and friendliness . In this book, they fell short of what I expected, too often. You can't ask somebody for help and then abandon them, which was done in this book. Additionally, some of the characters became cold to other characters for reasons that I considered unjustified. Also, something that really irked me is that there was a certain clear source of power available to ...more
Edwin Kort
Aug 20, 2016 Edwin Kort rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2016
Beste boek van de serie. Zou graag gezien hebben dat er een betere ontwikkeling van de personages Thail en Zinixos was. Misschien een beter motief voor Zinixo.
Het leek als of er nog veel losse eindjes waren aan het einde van het boek. De uiteindelijke slag in de 'Rotonde' was vrij snel voorbij, en eigenlijk een beetje een anti-climax, behalve het feit dat Prins Gath bijna gedood werd onder een zware troon.

De oorspronkelijke serie bestaat uit 4 delen, maar in het Nederlands zijn er maar 3 delen
Sean Randall
Nov 17, 2010 Sean Randall rated it it was amazing
"They said they would rather die where they stood than accept their lives at the cost of their principles. I cursed them for a gang of illogical nitwits. I derided their infantile elvish fancies.
And now I understand. Now I sympathize."

And amazingly, an ending that fits just as neatly and smoothly as with the first series set in this universe. It was predictable in outline, but in a good, fuzzy-feeling sort of a way that makes you glad rather than with an air of inevitability which sometimes perm
Cal
Mar 02, 2016 Cal rated it really liked it
Nice, solid finish to an 8 book adventure in the world of Pandemia. The emotional growth of Shandie over the last few books was well done. The goblins were depicted as one-dimensional villains. The 5 person bundle of Sagorn, Andor, Thinal, Jalon, and Darad was one of the better creations by the author. Best scene: Sir Acopulo rescued from the sea by the Sisters of the Refuge of Constant Service.

An excellent series. Should rank among the best but rarely shows up on "THE BEST OF" lists.
Merri
Jul 15, 2013 Merri rated it really liked it
Best book of the series. Would have liked to have seen better development of Thaile and Zinixos characters. Maybe a better motive for Zinixo. Many of the characters were flat and lacked background. The addition of Holi and the younger sister was irrelevant. Seemed like there was a lot of loose ends. Overall it had an interesting story.
Stephen Graham
Jan 08, 2013 Stephen Graham rated it really liked it
One might complain about the deus ex machina ending, except that it's clearly indicated in the title and was set up in the previous series. Besides, there's something amusing about the lines: "There's no God of Rescues." "There is now!." Very enjoyable conclusion to the series.
Sabrina
Apr 21, 2013 Sabrina rated it it was amazing
Basically, this series gave me all the feels. I laughed, I cried, I threw my Kindle across the room. I mostly spent a lot of time worrying about my favorite characters, but I loved how Duncan wrapped up this epic adventure. Well worth the read.
Cindy
May 30, 2011 Cindy rated it really liked it
Like other books in series, could use better maps. Great finale, though painful and ugly and bittersweet. Definitely some neat and memorable twists to end the series.
Diana the Rarely Duplicated
Dec 26, 2007 Diana the Rarely Duplicated rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Those lovers of fantasy who enjoy a well-crafted story line with interesting characters should read this entire series.

Author Dave Duncan invented a creative world The plot is quite clever.

Gerdy Heek
Jul 06, 2014 Gerdy Heek rated it really liked it
Fun. First book I read so missed some context. lot of characters, so it took me some time to get into it. But surprising. What I liked best was the humanity of the sorcerers. nice.
Randy Hale
Apr 21, 2013 Randy Hale rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the first series (A Man of His Word) immensely. This series was a bit depressing though.
Steve Markham
Sep 30, 2012 Steve Markham rated it it was amazing
Love this book for the way it all comes to a close. Worth a read and finishes the series wonderfully!
Ron Judenberg
Mar 01, 2016 Ron Judenberg rated it it was amazing
read
Doug Rae
Doug Rae rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2012
Tina
Tina rated it liked it
May 16, 2010
Dena
Dena rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2012
Jeremy Gup
Jeremy Gup rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2014
David
David rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2014
Alejandra Villarreal
Alejandra Villarreal rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2013
Joe Mazzi
Joe Mazzi rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2015
Frank Vermeulen
Frank Vermeulen rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2015
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2017
Larry Ober
Larry Ober rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2012
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2012
Lee
Lee rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2013
Eric Gardner
Eric Gardner rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2008
  • The Blackgod (Children of the Changeling, #2)
  • Wolfwalker (Wolfwalker, #1)
  • The Prophet of Lamath (Pelman the Powershaper #1)
  • The Cygnet and the Firebird (Cygnet, #2)
  • Der Thron der Libelle (Drachen-Zyklus, #2)
  • A Wizard in War (Rogue Wizard, #4)
  • King of the Dead (Lens of the World, #2)
  • Paper Mage
  • The Serpent Mage
  • An Earthly Crown (Jaran, #2)
  • Dragonshadow (Winterlands, #2)
  • The Spellsong War (Spellsong Cycle #2)
  • A Dawn of Dragons (Dragons of Spring Dawning, #2; Dragonlance Chronicles, #6)

A Handful of Men (4 books)
  • The Cutting Edge (A Handful of Men, #1)
  • Upland Outlaws (A Handful of Men, #2)
  • The Stricken Field (A Handful of Men, #3)

“In my experience, luck is more output than input,” 0 likes
“We live in hard times. Trouble should become easier to handle as we are older, but by then we know that the world is not cruel, only indifferent, and that hurts even more.” 0 likes