Start by marking “The Destiny of the Sword (Seventh Sword, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Destiny of the Sword (Seventh Sword, #3)

The Destiny of the Sword (Seventh Sword #3)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  1,871 ratings  ·  34 reviews
The Riddle of the Goddess

Wallie Smith had been dying on another world when the Goddess transferred his mind to the body of the barbarian swordsman Shonsu. Then She gave him the great, magical Sapphire Sword of Chioxin and sent him on a mission.

All he had to do was to lead the arrogant band of swordsmen to destroy the sorcerers and their Fire God.

Now Wallie discovered that
Published November 13th 1988 by Del Rey Books

To ask other readers questions about The Destiny of the Sword, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Destiny of the Sword

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Subtle Knife by Philip PullmanAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollNeverwhere by Neil GaimanA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Fantasy Books Set in Two Worlds
365th out of 557 books — 601 voters
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre DumasThe Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre DumasThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanTreasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonThe Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska Orczy
Swashbucklers
314th out of 334 books — 335 voters

More lists with this book...

Algernon

This is the third and final book in the original storyline (there's a fourth book published recently) of Wally Smith, alias Shonshu, a chemical engineer magically teleported to a fantasy World ruled by the number seven : seven ranks of skill in any given profession, seven cities ruled by swordsmen, other seven cities ruled by sorcerers, seven companions to form a fellowship for Wally, seven legendary swords created by master artisan Ciuxin, seven top swordsmen to lead the tryst (a sort of crusad
Brett
The conclusion of the Seventh Sword Trilogy is both satisfying and well wrought. It is also rife with a number of twists that further elevate the tension and recast parts of the story in fresh light.

The natures of the sorcerers and the swordsmen will be further examined and their relationship will be pondered as well. As matters come to a head, Wallie recedes a bit and Shonsu returns center stage giving the reader some interesting contrasts between ideals, pragmatism, and ambition. Nnanji contin
Brian
Series:
7/17/10 - 7/10
The Seventh Sword series starts off really well. The first two books are very readable, with interesting characters in an interesting world. It's actually better than the description makes it sound. It's a real page turner that keeps you guessing. Unfortunately, the third book was a big let down. I felt that the characters weren't at all true to themselves and the plotting didn't make sense in the context of the story. First 2 books were 9/10, last was 6/10 - series 7/10.
Metaphorosis

reviews.metaphorosis.com

Wallie Smith, reincarnated as Shonsu of the Seventh Sword, and struggling to fulfill the Goddess' mandate, has gathered a small group of talented supporters, but ruined his reputation in the process. Now, he has to recruit an army composed of fellow swordsmen - who all despise him.

I don't recall why I didn't pick the Seventh Swordseries up when I first saw it years ago. Possibly because of its 'sidewise' concept, but more likely due that that bane of youth - lack
Marko
This is the third and final book in the Seventh Sword trilogy. I read the entire trilogy over the past couple of weeks and I take that as proof that it had gripping power and was well enough written to keep me hooked until I had finished all the books. While trying not to spoil anything, the story is about a swordsman who is given a task in the form of a riddle and who then ventures to explore the world and finds love, power and sadness on the way.

Overall, the first and second books are the stro
Robert Runte
Re-read this 2012 after nearly 25 years and it stands up (like the rest of the series) very well. If anything, I appreciated the writing more this time around as I've since become an editor and most recently a novelist myself. I was particularly impressed by how Duncan handles the body/mind interface in this novel, and how he is able to have a character who is both completely consistent and emotionally divided. Just enough flaws for the character to be well rounded and human (rather than too obv ...more
Sean Randall
what an absolutely perfect end to such an enjoyable series. I will concede that at times the religion was a stretch for me, but the debate of whether or not a miracle could be expected was certainly eagerly anticipated. This really is alternate-universe fantasy of a high order, and although it's a little early in the year for such statements, this series is certainly my high point of 2009. What shall top it? Bring 'em on!
Sbuchler
Aug 16, 2008 Sbuchler rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sbuchler by: Sabrina
Genre: High Fantasy

Third and final book in the _Seventh Sword_ series. Wonderful!! End is somewhat bitter-sweet, as I'm starting to expect from Duncan's series ... but well worth the trip, and it has certainly been sticking with me. :-D
A tryst of swordsmen has been convened to fight the sorcerers, and Wallie Smith has been commanded by the Goddess to lead them. Unfortunately, his alter ego Shonsu already failed that task quite emphatically, Wallie's newfangled ways freak out the other warriors, and his knowledge of Earth's history makes him doubt he's on the right side of the conflict. Wallie must channel MacGyver and George Washington to win a war unlike anything the World has ever seen. A cast of flawed but likeable characte ...more
Marc
This trilogy is the best treatment I have seen of the clash of cultures and the coming of technology.
As a review for the series, I liked it but omg detail detail detail detail - SO MUCH DETAIL. If you like Robert Jordan, or Raymond E Feist, you'll probably like this series. The story flows and the characters are likeable, it's not hard to read and I read 3 books in a few days (haven't got my hands on #4 yet). I found myself skipping paragraphs and getting annoyed simply because everyone was so hung up on How.Things.Are. Even saying Hello to someone is ridiculously formal. The series centres aro ...more
Ian Armstrong
The final instalment in this trilogy does not disappoint, it beautifully wraps up the character development and brings the tale to an intriguing conclusion. Perhaps a little slower in pace and action than the first two books it nicely sets up the slow realisation of the secret nature of the World.

The final enlightenment of the main character as to the true strands of destiny that entwine him and the others to the sword along with his reward and the exposition of the god's scheme's that define hi
Kevin
Dave Duncan is one of my favorite authors, but this book and this series is not the one to start with if you are just reading him for the first time. It is probably more me than the series but the main character did things that didn't seem to follow who he was and that drove me to put the book down on more than one occasion.
Matt
Some series you just hate to see end and this was one for me. This series is just great story telling with characters you cannot help but care about. A satisfying ending to a great trilogy.
Kurtis Story
Along the same lines as the previous books in the saga, this was good but not great. However, the ending made up for some of its failures, in that it surprised me and was a well thought out ending for the series - not what I would have chosen, but a fitting ending nonetheless. This book saw a lot more come into play from the main character's "past", which I thought made the story more interesting as well. As far as the ending, the twist is well planned and thought out, and I appreciated its uniq ...more
David Sellers
There's not as much action as some like with their adventure, but there's a great ending and a dash of what it means to live out faith.
Amanda
Augh, there's something in my eye. Dust, maybe.
Leon Aldrich
Wally Smith, having died on Earth, finds himself reincarnated as a swordsman in another world and entrusted by the presiding goddess with a mission that has no appeal for him at all. Can he bring together all the swordsmen to finally defeat the Sorcerors and their terrible technology? Wally isn't quite convinced he should, but Goddesses can be very persuasive... This is the third and final exciting book, after THE RELUCTANT SWORDSMAN and THE COMING OF WISDOM in THE SEVENTH SWORD TRILOGY.

Long liv
Leeann
Another good read...
Steve Markham
So, I admit that I got addicted to this trilogy and I am glad I did. This is all though I found the religion a bit too hard to swallow all the time is or was a great way to end the set of three.

Relationships built up over the three books brought to a climax by a master story teller.
David Shaffer
This series is a great example of doing something new in fantasy Sci-Fi. We have tattoos today, but having them on your eyelids... to identify what station you have in life... that is cool. This series is easy to fall in love with. Swords, a touch of romance, and overthrowing the "man".
Alan
I was gonna give this book only 3 stars because it was basically same as the 1st 2 books, and then Shonsu started doing stupid stuff toward the end. But then the epilogue just blew me, it was a great ending and I didn't see it at all. I'm a sucker for a happy ending, hence the 4 stars.
KD Mackintosh
As the final book to a trilogy I found that this book was well rounded and had good answers to the questions the earlier books posed. Although these books were not ground breaking I did find them a fully enjoyable read.
Tymothy
And again, third or fourth reading. The action & story elements continue to a great climax and wrap things up nicely by the end ... while still leaving things open for another book.
C.P. Sennett
I did not see the plot endings in this book at all and that’s rare for me. It ended nicely, just a touch of humor through the set but so well finished it was worth every penny.
David
Good, fun travel reading. Also a little surprising -- the latter half of the book did not at all progress as I expected from the first part.
Shawn Healey
Terribly anti-climatic ending to an otherwise great series. The epilogue is for BONUS resolution -- not all of it.
Todd Hamblin
I loved the book. There were parts that I didn't like how my hero Shonsu made his decisions. Great book!!!
Daniel
It's been awhile, but I remember liking the way this series ends.
Craig Halloran
It was a good trilogy with good characters.
  • The Warrior Lives (Guardians of the Flame #5)
  • The Spell of the Black Dagger (Legends of Ethshar)
  • Six of Swords
  • The Dragon Knight (Dragon Knight #2)
  • Empire of the East (Empire of the East, #1-3)
  • The Horse Lord (Book of Years, # 1)
  • The Sword of Calandra (Winter King's War, #2)
  • My Son, the Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme, #5)
  • Dragonstar (Winterlands, #4)
  • The Initiate Brother (Initiate Brother, #1)
  • The Serpent Mage
  • The Prophet of Lamath (Pelman the Powershaper #1)
  • Wizard War

Seventh Sword (4 books)
  • The Reluctant Swordsman (Seventh Sword, #1)
  • The Coming of Wisdom (Seventh Sword, #2)
  • The Death of Nnanji (Seventh Sword, #4)
The Gilded Chain (King's Blades, #1) The Reluctant Swordsman (Seventh Sword, #1) Magic Casement (A Man of His Word, #1) The Coming of Wisdom (Seventh Sword, #2) Lord of the Fire Lands (King's Blades, #2)