Start by marking “Essential X-Men, Vol. 3” as Want to Read:
Essential X-Men, Vol. 3

Essential X-Men, Vol. 3 (Essential X-Men #3)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  614 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
A collection of graphic novels featuring the band of mutant superheroes with special powers, which was originally formed by the crippled Professor Xavier
Published August 1st 2001 by Marvel Comics Group (first published July 15th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Essential X-Men, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Essential X-Men, Vol. 3

Sam Poole
Oct 30, 2015 Sam Poole rated it it was amazing
Kitty develops into the greatest xmen character of all time here. Kitts Fairy Tale, more exploration of Magnetos backstory and the seeds of the brood saga, Ilyana storylines and strong character work cement these stories as classic. Not earth shaking and at times a little continuity confused; after a great arcade story and OCTOPUSHEIM all the shi'ar stuff just goes a little too far. But even that said, I'm remembering the tiny moments (mostly about kitty!). I love this series and I love this boo ...more
Zack! Empire
Some what of an up and down collection. The biggest problem it seems to be facing is that, while it's not meant to be a follow up to it, it follows after Volume 2, which has some of the best X-Men stories ever. Chris Claremont is still the writer, so it's not a matter of trying to top the previous creators, and Chris doesn't seem to be trying to out due himself, but his work with John Byrne was such a high that anything after it will seem less good no matter what. It even seems like Dave Cockrum ...more
Christian
Apr 21, 2009 Christian rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
This is a black and white collection of Uncanny X-Men 145 to 161. These stories come right after John Byrne left the title and the whole Phoenix saga was resolved. I started collecting comics about a year after the last issue collected here.

If you are a comic book fan, you will notice how comics, as a form of storytelling, has changed in recent years. Gone are the word bubbles and lengthy expository dialog. This collection harkens back to the time where every character would think through everyt
Krystl Louwagie
Mar 09, 2013 Krystl Louwagie rated it liked it
I can't quite rate these the same as I'd rate comics I read in more "current" times, just because they were a bit of a different beast back then. Comics were written in a style different from now (which is what I'm used to and prefer just because that's what I grew up with). These older comics have so much "background" info written in that sometimes it's gets jumbled and boring. A lot of the "thought bubbles" are very obvious as well. Still, these older comics are very important to the developme ...more
Paul Darcy
Jan 09, 2012 Paul Darcy rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
By Chris Claremont & Dave Cockrum, published in 1981-1982.

This is another collection of comics in black and white featuring the Uncanny X-Men from the early eighties. And I must say I am not disappointed with them because of the lack of colour.

As I’ve said before, at least for me, it’s the stories which grab my imagination and not necessarily the pretty colours when I’m reading anyhow.

So in this volume of Essential X-Men we get issues 145 - 161 and three annuals 3 -5, though my copy (an olde
Gordon Lee
Jan 22, 2013 Gordon Lee rated it it was amazing
While some may argue that these may or may not have been the best stories, it has a sentimental value to me. The reason being, this is where I came in at age eight. My earliest memories of The X-Men involved Deathbird, The Starjammers, The Imperial Guard, and the first appearances of the Brood. While, I came in a little too late for the Dark Phoenix, I still regard the stories in this volume to be among my favorites. One of the highlights that always stood out to me was the splash page of the ac ...more
Andrew
Feb 10, 2009 Andrew rated it liked it
Shelves: yes-i-m-a-geek
It is unfortunate moving from John Byrne back to Dave Cockrum (who was the original artist for the reinvention of the X-Men). The stories likewise take a downturn. A lot of things feel more like an 80s comic in this essential.

Bill Sienkiewicz makes an appearance which is entertaining... that is if it wasn't for the story he is given which feels entirely out of place from the rest of the series. I mostly just know Sienkiewicz for his, what I presume are, paintings. His art here is interesting, i
Mike McAdam
Nov 06, 2014 Mike McAdam rated it really liked it
I am glad I stayed with this series after suffering through some really lame beginnings. New characters and more involved stories have breathed new life into this series. They do spend a little too much time way out in space (the Lilandra stories) rather than defending earth ON earth (which are the most interesting stories to me) so I gave it 4 stars instead of 5. But I am really enjoying this series now.
Leila Anani
Classic X-Men omnibus graphic novel collecting together Uncanny X-Men #145-161 and X-Men annuals #3-5

What stood out for me particularly was Nightcrawler's Inferno (annual #4) which has an amazing Nightcrawler story featuring Dr. Strange.

We have all manner of cameos throughout the volume - Dr. Doom, Dr. Strange, Dracula, The Fantastic Four, a couple of the stories take us to Thor's home Asgard.

Mixed bag of stories - there's some great Nightcrawler, Storm and Kitty Pryde moments in particular. We
Raina Madison
Mar 18, 2013 Raina Madison rated it liked it
I've been slowly making my way through the X-Men Essentials and though I enjoyed this volume I have to say it has been my least favorite so far. Byrnes departure is a huge blow to the series here as I feel it was going backwards for awhile in terms of story. Also, how many artists did they run through during this period? Too much fluff in this for me; I actually couldnt even make it through Storms tangle with Dracula. Seeing Scott and Alex being reunited with thier father, Illyanas transformatio ...more
Christopher
Jun 23, 2014 Christopher rated it really liked it
Can't get enough of this classic X-Men run. Great continuing storyline overall but with separate stories. The only strange one was with Dracula, but was fun to read regardless.
Alex Robinson
This was always a weird period for me when I was an X-Men fan, sort of a lull between the Byrne and Smith. Mostly Dave Cockrum, but also a bunch of fill-in artists, and a lot of issues that don't seem like X-MEN stories (Dracula??) and ending with the muddled brood/Shi-ar storyline. The highlight is a the inclusion of AVENGERS annual #11 featuring gorgeous Michael Golden art and the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.
Bill
Sep 11, 2007 Bill rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superheroes
It's a bit unfair to have to compare this volume to the two that came before. It's not that these stories are that bad, really, but that a lot of the ones that came before were so much better. Things pick up again in Volume 4, though, so your patience will be rewarded. Plus, the Dracula stuff is kinda fun, and there's some great George Perez artwork in one of the annuals.
Elizabeth
Great collection. Storm and the White Queen bodyswap (tell you wouldn't have a wank to THAT), Magneto finally gets a character as a benevolent tyrant (who's kinda right when you think about it), and Nightcrawler does Dante's Inferno (who said comicbooks are low culture?!). Adorable daft running around with a gajillion aliens and lots of Cyclops moping. Yaldi.
Jay Daze
This is the X-men that I grew up with. Reading it now? Soap opera for boys (or at least this boy). Long before Smallville, Claremont had figured out teen-angst mixed with kicking butt. Surprised just how talky this stuff is today. And dude, I don't think Claremont can go a page without a thought-bubble, but that was the style of the time...
Chris
Apr 03, 2007 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
The introduction of the bood, Magneto first is tempted by thoughts of being good and moves towards being a fantastic antihero and conflicted leader, Kitty Pryde developing as a character - this stuff is great. So I could do without the annual where Storm is hypnotized by Dracula, but then when has an annual been anything but crap?
Lord
Jan 31, 2011 Lord rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, marvel
Jean Grey is gone and the tension between her and Wolverine (oh yes, and that moron Cyclops) is sorely missed. This comic is saved by loli X-man Kitty Pride, though. I wish more of my favourite X-girls appeared already (and not just for a short villainy introduction) but I guess I will have to wait a bit. Enjoyable stuff.
Jason
Jul 07, 2009 Jason rated it really liked it
Not quite as much a page-turner as vol. 2, and I missed Byrne's art. Cockrum's is still solid- not quite as dynamic, though. Stories a bit more scattered. The last issue in the volume begins the Brood storyline, which is a good one!
Nick Marino
Jun 25, 2007 Nick Marino rated it it was amazing
great stuff. and c'mon, that Dracula annual issue IS pretty good. in fact, all the annuals in here are pretty good. although i'll agree that that normally do suck, this book defies the norm.
Nadia
Sep 23, 2014 Nadia rated it liked it
Shelves: mutants
I'm just picking these numbers at random. The first half was solid but most of the second was...not. More Storm but unfortunately also a lot more Cyclops.
Sfk
Oct 03, 2011 Sfk rated it really liked it
Very good. This is slightly pulpy and silly bot overall a very good and imaginative collection of stories form a trying part of the XMEN legend
Μιχάλης
Jul 03, 2015 Μιχάλης rated it really liked it
The triumphant run of vol 2 turns into a jog. It is still good, but some storylines simply lack the impact and/or are all over the place
Jessica
Nov 23, 2009 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009, graphic-novels
I still think Prof. X is a dick. Also, the X-Men seem to get abducted and then help their misunderstood abductors an awful lot.
Brandt
Jul 27, 2015 Brandt rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
this volume reveals a book trying to find its way after the departure of John Byrne. it would find it, but not here.
Andrew
Jun 04, 2016 Andrew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
Love reading the origins of comics. This collection is enjoyable and interestingly enough, somewhat educational.
Elena
Sep 30, 2013 Elena rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Como siempre, hay historias de cinco estrellas e historias de dos, pero echaba de menos a estos idiotas.
Elijah Kinch Spector
Jul 01, 2007 Elijah Kinch Spector rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Some great stuff in here, classic early 80's comics.
Maureen
Nov 07, 2014 Maureen rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhero, marvel
Matthew Ledrew
Apr 20, 2015 Matthew Ledrew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, x-men, un-reviewed
145-161
Guibbs
Guibbs rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2016
  • Essential Classic X-Men, Vol. 1
  • Essential Wolverine, Vol. 2
  • Essential Classic X-Men, Vol. 2
  • Decimation: Generation M
  • Essential Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 8
  • Uncanny X-Men: Sisterhood
  • New X-Men, Vol. 3: New Worlds
Chris Claremont is a writer of American comic books, best known for his 16-year (1975-1991) stint on Uncanny X-Men, during which the series became one of the comic book industry's most successful properties.

Claremont has written many stories for other publishers including the Star Trek Debt of Honor graphic novel, his creator-owned Sovereign Seven for DC Comics and Aliens vs Predator for Dark Hors
More about Chris Claremont...

Essential X-Men (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Essential X-Men, Vol. 1