Start by marking “The Frandidate (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Frandidate (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #7)

The Frandidate (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist #7)

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  534 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, has always had her eye on world domination, but she has to start somewhere...like her class elections! If people voted for her, they were giving her all the control she wanted. But Franny's platform doesn't have the same appeal as her competitors who are offering new playground equipment, so she finds another platform...The Frandidate. Made ...more
Published September 2nd 2008 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Frandidate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Frandidate

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienBroken Point by Donna K. ChildreeThe Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. LewisThe Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis
Great Read-Aloud Fantasy Books
159th out of 173 books — 69 voters
The Moon Over Star by Dianna Hutts AstonBee-Wigged by Cece BellThe Frandidate by Jim BentonViolet the Pilot by Steve BreenFred Stays With Me! by Nancy Coffelt
Iowa Goldfinch 2010-2011
3rd out of 19 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Catherine
Feb 01, 2012 Catherine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: max
I can't praise this series highly enough other than to say that if I brought a Franny K Stein book home, Max would drop everything he was doing in order to start reading. It's a rare book that has that kind of power over a 6 year old. I'm so sad that we reached the end of the series.
Emily
Dec 06, 2010 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, juvenile
With great skill, Mr. Benton manages to include some incredibly funny political commentary - aimed at politicians in general rather than a particular party - in this book for young readers without alienating the principle audience.

Franny creates the perfect candidate for office by combining DNA from a dog (who always knows what she wants before she asks), a chameleon (who "can change to look like whatever he needs to"), and a parrot (who can "make any sort of sound it wanted"). Throw in a cobra
Abe
Dec 27, 2010 Abe rated it really liked it
I thought it was weird, a little funny, and evil! But I gave it four starts because it wasn't the best. I don't exactly like all those adjectives. Sometimes, the book was really nice and sweet. My favorite part was at the very end, but I won't spoil it :)
Lady Knight
Jun 25, 2010 Lady Knight rated it really liked it
Franny is back and this time she's got her sights set on domination!

While not keen on the idea of world domination, when her teacher announces class elections, Franny is keen to become class president. She starts out by making wonderful posters of all the things she will invent if she's elected: everything from brain boosters for the not-so-smart kids to large jars to keep the noisy kids in. She's shocked when no is keen on her ideas. She watches as the other campaigners propose a new playground
Edward Creter
READ....MY....LIPS! FRANNY K. STEIN HAS RETURNED!!! This one has Fran running for political office....and as she's only ten it has to be for class president, not so much the White House Seat, which has not stopped our mini-mad scientist from plotting Hilary Clinton-esque plans for world conquest! (She's a kid genius. She's allowed.) With steely precision and a stubborn tenacity worthy of FDR himself, she has created the ultimate way to get schoolkids to like her as a proper role model, and in sp ...more
Dolly
May 14, 2014 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is the last book in the Franny K. Stein series by Jim Benton. We first discovered this series when we listened to Frantastic Voyage on audio CD. We all thought it was a humorous tale, so we decided to read the other books in the series.

This story tells what happens when Franny learns about politics and decides to run for class president. The resulting experiment is both humorous and horrific; more of a commentary on our current American political climate than anything. I loved the lesson t
Oliver
Nov 13, 2015 Oliver rated it it was amazing
Alicia
Dec 05, 2009 Alicia rated it really liked it
Shelves: j
Franny is a little girl with a mad scientist lab in her bedroom and a dog/lab assistant named Igor. Franny's science experiments and inventions regularly get Franny into some sort of trouble. In The Frandidate, Franny decides to run for class president. To appeal to her classmates she invents the "Frandidate", a skin that Franny wears that can alter its appearance to appeal to whomever is looking at it. But the Frandidate wants to be more than just class president. While this is a chapter book, ...more
Thurston Hunger
Mar 27, 2009 Thurston Hunger rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: class presidents and class clowns
Read this and am reading most of the series with/to my six year old twin boys, who definitely enjoy Benton's work. In particular, the Frandidate was noteworthy as for me it oddly echoed "Perfume" (the movie and book). The humor is gentle enough, not strictly relying on gross-out gimmicks by any stretch, indeed there are more often puns, which works for me.

But above all Benton's imagination is very playful and yet purposeful. I guess one might quibble with the fact that science repeatedly creates
Jessica
That lab assistant gag was ace. (Paraphrased: Franny, the mad scientist, has a lab assistant named Igor. Well, part lab. He was also part German shepherd, part pit bull, part chihuahua...)
Penny Peck
Jul 29, 2012 Penny Peck rated it liked it
Shelves: children-ya
In this seventh entry in the Franny K. Stein series, Franny creates the perfect candidate for class president. Since Franny is a mad scientist, be sure to include some science-related activities, as well as:
• Franny proposes exploding chalk – use sidewalk chalk to do art on the library patio area.
• Franny proposes healthy lunches – so serve fruit as a snack.
• Do some simple hands-on science experiments to dazzle the audience.
• Check out http://books.simonandschuster.com/Fra... for a video of ho
Mesha
Mar 05, 2009 Mesha rated it really liked it
I wonder why do Franny want to be a scientist? I also wonder why do she like to hart people? I can relat to Franny because when I was in 6th grade my dream was to be a scientist.
I did not agree with the part were she tryed to brive the kids by there favotite T.V shows. I can relat to her because when ever I want something I would do what ever it takes to get what I want when I want it.I wonder if she has a father because in the book it does not say if she got a father or not? There's one thin
Jackie
In order to win over her classmates in the upcoming election for class president, Franny K. Stein: Mad Scientist combines the DNA from a sensitive dog, a color-changing chameleon, a mimicking parrot, a cobra's stare, a spider's web, and a python's grip. She's sure this will do the trick and get her elected...and it does.

But, things spiral out of control as the flexible skin of The Frandidate has 'ideas' of its own and they are on the diabolical side. Humor, horror, and madcap dialogue (not to m
Hedwig
Oct 08, 2015 Hedwig rated it it was amazing
Good for mad scientists!!!!
Dannie
Sep 09, 2014 Dannie marked it as to-read
i think this book was great.
Jody
Jan 27, 2014 Jody rated it liked it
Jackson (7) says this wasn't his favorite book in the Franny series but he still enjoyed it.
Leslie
My 7 yo is reading this one. It is a good follow up to the Ricky Ricotta series. Kids who like Ricky and Captain Underpants should like Franny, the young mad scientist. My son likes the pictures and the general silliness. He loves science and anything gross or gruesome so this strange little girl ( even though she is a girl) fits the bill. He laughs out loud at her weird experiments and began and ended the book with a study of the pictures, which are downright captivating.
Veronica
Aug 23, 2014 Veronica rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-books
Terry
May 19, 2009 Terry rated it it was amazing
The Frany K. Stein books are a quick read and this one was just as funny as the others. At one point I couldn't stop laughing when I saw one of the illustrations (see page 40). I don't think I'd ever really vote for Franny (no matter what crazy inventions she came up with to try to convince me otherwise), but I sure vote for Jim Benton writing more of these hilarious books!
Dree
Nov 10, 2009 Dree rated it really liked it
I love these books. My 6-year-old loves these books. The stories are clever, the drawings great. This one is about how hard it is--and wrong it is--to be what others want you to be, rather than who you are. Also some good lessons on how politicians behave ;)

This is the only series with a female main character that my son likes!
StorySnoops
Mar 23, 2011 StorySnoops rated it liked it
The seventh installment in the Franny K. Stein Mad Scientist series uses humor and amusing illustrations to teach a valuable lesson. Franny learns that making promises you can't keep is dangerous and that telling the truth ultimately sets you free... (click here for full review http://www.storysnoops.com/detail.php...)
$$$$i get money$$$
Jan 26, 2009 $$$$i get money$$$ is currently reading it
my review of this book is this book is so fynny and it makes you think a lot and somtimes these kind of books have a message like in this one it isabout how truth will ste you free and it is also really funnyi love this book and i recomed this book to any body who liies funny and who likes a message in there story
Kaethe
Franny's attempting to build the perfect class president. Because it would be wrong to take over the world using her devices, but it's perfectly okay if everyone votes for her.

***

The Franidate is a fascinating idea, and the book addresses voting in a novel way for young children.
B
Feb 28, 2013 B rated it liked it
Shelves: j-girl, j-humorous
Always wanted to read one of the Franny K. Stein books..The Frandidate is such a great title, I couldn't resist. Overall funny, amusing illustrations and loved all of her inventions. The plot is light but the kids not quite old enough for the Wimpy Kid books would enjoy, boys included.
Jaylon
Oct 31, 2012 Jaylon rated it it was amazing
I liked it. It was about when franny wanted to be class president. So she made this frandidate soup so that everybody would say yes to her. It worked and she made everyone pick her, but frandidate soup started to work by itself and franny had to stop it!
Earline
I enjoyed the overall message of the story, but thought the 2 headed morphing robot/skin creation was a bit confusing. I wish it could have achieved the same effect in a much simpler way.
Michelle
Dec 23, 2011 Michelle rated it it was amazing
We love these books. I can read the whole chapter book in one night and all 3 of my kids will sit still and listen. And ask for more when it is done. This one was really clever.
Julie
May 21, 2013 Julie rated it it was amazing
Em says "It was a good book, very funny. Scary in some parts. I love the Franny K Stein books, and I was so glad to see there are more on the back of this book."
Kaeleigh
Oct 02, 2012 Kaeleigh rated it it was amazing
I liked it.I like when Franny wanted to be the class president.My favorite part was when Franny made these puppets and the puppets said vote for Franny.
Sheila
Oct 16, 2008 Sheila rated it liked it
Shelves: anokaberry
Funny book about running for class president and trying to be all things to all people. Kind of like the race we have going on right now.
  • Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Mutant Mosquitoes from Mercury (Ricky Ricotta, #2)
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Goes to Camp!
  • Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000 (Frankie Pickle, #2)
  • Attack of the Ninja Frogs (Dragonbreath, #2)
  • Never Swim in Applesauce (Roscoe Riley Rules, #4)
  • Ivy and Bean: What's the Big Idea? (Ivy and Bean, #7)
  • Stink and the Great Guinea Pig Express (Stink, #4)
  • Princess Posey and the Perfect Present (Princess Posey, #2)
  • I Can Be a Pet Vet (Barbie)
  • The Get Rich Quick Club
  • The Crazy Case of Missing Thunder (Goofballs #1)
  • Nate the Great and the Tardy Tortoise
Benton began his career in a custom design t-shirt shop where he started designing his own characters. At the same time, Jim did illustrations and artwork for magazines and newspapers. People magazine named him "the most visible cartoonist in America" .

Benton also created greeting cards and worked in the magazine and publishing industry. In 1998, his SpyDogs characters became an animated series, T
More about Jim Benton...

Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist (7 books)
  • Lunch Walks Among Us (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #1)
  • Attack of the 50-Ft. Cupid (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #2)
  • The Invisible Fran (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #3)
  • The Fran That Time Forgot (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #4)
  • Frantastic Voyage (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #5)
  • The Fran with Four Brains (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #6)