Start by marking “The Principle of Relativity (Books on Physics)” as Want to Read:
The Principle of Relativity (Books on Physics)

The Principle of Relativity (Books on Physics)

This collection of original papers on the special and general theories of relativity is an unabridged translation of the 4th edition of Das Relativitatsprinzip, together with a revised edition of an additional paper by H.A. Lorentz.
Published June 1st 1952 by Dover Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Principle of Relativity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Principle of Relativity

Nitu Ushi
Sep 18, 2008 Nitu Ushi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
I was floored by this work. If taken slow I feel that any person of reasonable intelligence can understand the concepts that Prof. Einstein puts forth on the laws that govern time and space. This monumental work is, to me, less like science and more like poetry.
Daniel
Dec 08, 2007 Daniel added it
This is IT!
Erik
May 20, 2015 Erik rated it it was amazing
The beautiful thing about science in the original is that, while the results may not always be correct or as clearly expressed as they might be, you do get the original philosophical arguments that led to the theory in the first place. This is especially true of Einstein. To me, he is clearly a philosopher in his original papers, both in his unifying view of things and also the argumentative techniques he uses.
Bob Finch
Mar 06, 2016 Bob Finch rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
Reading the original papers that made Einstein famous is a treat. His remarkable concision is especially inspiring.
Woflmao
Jan 19, 2014 Woflmao rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, reviewed
This book is a collection of papers by Lorentz, Einstein, Minkowski and Weyl that laid the foundation of the Special and General Theory of Relativity.
Collecting these papers in a book give the reader an appreciation from what problems and ideas the theory developed, instead of getting it ready-made in a modern textbook.
For Special Relativity, this works fine. Though Lorentz paper is barely readable, Einstein writes very elegantly and explains in very simple term his ideas. In fact, today's textb
Mafalda
Jul 04, 2013 Mafalda rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Mafalda by: The best teacher ever
In 1990 I had to write a paper about time travel. Reading this book was a must.
I got so excited about the subject that in the end I wrote two. One on multiple universes and the other on tachyons* (kind of an mental experiment). The latter one was directly inspired by this book, my conversations about it and deep thinking/lots of fun at home.

If you really love physics, reading, thinking, and are not scared at some of the maths involved (I still can't grasp half of it) this book is pure joy.

*A tac
Conrad
Aug 09, 2013 Conrad rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-physics
The Principle of Relativity is a tough read of a concept that is difficult to grasp. I had the benefit of help and insights from my classmates over the few months we wrestled with Einstein. I admit I experienced several false 'Aha!' moments along the way. Eventually I did manage to successfully conceptualize the fundamentals of the theory before my class moved on, but I had to revisit Einstein's work several times on my own to gain a deeper and more useful understanding of relativity.
Ibrahim Magdy
Jan 04, 2013 Ibrahim Magdy rated it really liked it
Include an intro to minkowski space time coordinates
KUNTAL MANDAL
KUNTAL MANDAL rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2015
Giovanni Ciacchella
Giovanni Ciacchella rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2015
Mitul Desai
Mitul Desai rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2014
George Pauly
George Pauly rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2013
Scot Land
Scot Land rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2015
Krystal Tan
Krystal Tan rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2013
Samuel Wesley
Samuel Wesley rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2014
Robert Lane
Robert Lane rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2017
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2007
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2008
Uday Desai
Uday Desai rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2011
Gabriela
Gabriela rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2017
Franceska
Franceska rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2012
Oguz gurerk
Oguz gurerk rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2014
Yashwanth Manivannan
Yashwanth Manivannan rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2016
Ami
Ami rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2008
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2012
Swarnendu
Swarnendu rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2012
Amir
Amir rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2015
Liz Moore
Liz Moore rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2016
Comfort Tshwaane
Comfort Tshwaane rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2014
Karun Dawadi
Karun Dawadi rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
  • Introduction to Quantum Mechanics with Applications to Chemistry
  • Gravitation
  • General Relativity
  • Essays on the Theory of Numbers
  • The Practice of Psychotherapy (Collected Works, Vol 16)
  • Beliefs: Pathways to Health & Well-Being
  • Thermodynamics
  • A Treatise on Electricity and Magnetism, Vol. 1
  • Symmetry
  • A Treatise of the System of the World
  • Yoga Self-Taught
  • Speakable and Unspeakable in Quantum Mechanics
  • Electricity and Magnetism
In 1879, Albert Einstein was born in Ulm, Germany. He completed his Ph.D. at the University of Zurich by 1909. His 1905 paper explaining the photoelectric effect, the basis of electronics, earned him the Nobel Prize in 1921. His first paper on Special Relativity Theory, also published in 1905, changed the world. After the rise of the Nazi party, Einstein made Princeton his permanent home, becoming ...more
More about Albert Einstein...