Start by marking “The Principle of Relativity (Books on Physics)” as Want to Read:
The Principle of Relativity (Books on Physics)

The Principle of Relativity (Books on Physics)

4.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  415 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
This collection of original papers on the special and general theories of relativity is an unabridged translation of the 4th edition of Das Relativitatsprinzip, together with a revised edition of an additional paper by H.A. Lorentz.
Published June 1st 1952 by Dover Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Principle of Relativity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Principle of Relativity

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill BrysonA Brief History of Time by Stephen HawkingCosmos by Carl SaganThe Selfish Gene by Richard DawkinsGuns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond
Best Science Books - Non-Fiction Only
186th out of 1,028 books — 2,506 voters
Gödel, Escher, Bach by Douglas R. HofstadterFermat's Enigma by Simon SinghFlatland by Edwin A. AbbottThe Code Book by Simon SinghZero by Charles Seife
Best Books About Mathematics
91st out of 235 books — 402 voters

More lists with this book...

Nitu Ushi
Sep 18, 2008 Nitu Ushi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
I was floored by this work. If taken slow I feel that any person of reasonable intelligence can understand the concepts that Prof. Einstein puts forth on the laws that govern time and space. This monumental work is, to me, less like science and more like poetry.
Daniel
Dec 08, 2007 Daniel added it
This is IT!
Erik
May 23, 2015 Erik rated it it was amazing
The beautiful thing about science in the original is that, while the results may not always be correct or as clearly expressed as they might be, you do get the original philosophical arguments that led to the theory in the first place. This is especially true of Einstein. To me, he is clearly a philosopher in his original papers, both in his unifying view of things and also the argumentative techniques he uses.
Bob Finch
Mar 06, 2016 Bob Finch rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
Reading the original papers that made Einstein famous is a treat. His remarkable concision is especially inspiring.
Woflmao
Feb 20, 2014 Woflmao rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, reviewed
This book is a collection of papers by Lorentz, Einstein, Minkowski and Weyl that laid the foundation of the Special and General Theory of Relativity.
Collecting these papers in a book give the reader an appreciation from what problems and ideas the theory developed, instead of getting it ready-made in a modern textbook.
For Special Relativity, this works fine. Though Lorentz paper is barely readable, Einstein writes very elegantly and explains in very simple term his ideas. In fact, today's textb
Mafalda
Jul 04, 2013 Mafalda rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Mafalda by: The best teacher ever
In 1990 I had to write a paper about time travel. Reading this book was a must.
I got so excited about the subject that in the end I wrote two. One on multiple universes and the other on tachyons* (kind of an mental experiment). The latter one was directly inspired by this book, my conversations about it and deep thinking/lots of fun at home.

If you really love physics, reading, thinking, and are not scared at some of the maths involved (I still can't grasp half of it) this book is pure joy.

*A tac
Conrad
Aug 09, 2013 Conrad rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-physics
The Principle of Relativity is a tough read of a concept that is difficult to grasp. I had the benefit of help and insights from my classmates over the few months we wrestled with Einstein. I admit I experienced several false 'Aha!' moments along the way. Eventually I did manage to successfully conceptualize the fundamentals of the theory before my class moved on, but I had to revisit Einstein's work several times on my own to gain a deeper and more useful understanding of relativity.
Ibrahim Magdy
Jan 04, 2013 Ibrahim Magdy rated it really liked it
Include an intro to minkowski space time coordinates
Mike
Nov 21, 2011 Mike rated it it was amazing
From horse's mouth!
Abdul wasay
Abdul wasay rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Dann Passoja
Dann Passoja rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2016
Mehrdad
Mehrdad marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
KLD
KLD marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Jose Vega
Jose Vega marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Francisco
Francisco rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2016
Bilal Khan
Bilal Khan rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2016
Kyumi
Kyumi marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Sara Black
Sara Black marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Vivekkumar Sabhaya
Vivekkumar Sabhaya marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Muhammad Hadi
Muhammad Hadi marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Timchiang
Timchiang marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
B B
B B marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Samuel
Samuel rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2016
Songeziwe
Songeziwe rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2016
Ibraheem
Ibraheem marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Alejandro Wetzel
Alejandro Wetzel marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Bella Benedetti
Bella Benedetti marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
  • Spacetime Physics
  • Six Easy Pieces / Six Not-So-Easy Pieces
  • The Nature of Space and Time
  • Eight Lectures on Theoretical Physics
  • A First Course in General Relativity
  • Gravitation
  • General Relativity
  • The Practice of Psychotherapy (Collected Works, Vol 16)
  • Beliefs: Pathways to Health & Well-Being
  • A Treatise of the System of the World
  • Symmetry
  • Classical Mechanics
  • The ABC of Relativity
In 1879, Albert Einstein was born in Ulm, Germany. He completed his Ph.D. at the University of Zurich by 1909. His 1905 paper explaining the photoelectric effect, the basis of electronics, earned him the Nobel Prize in 1921. His first paper on Special Relativity Theory, also published in 1905, changed the world. After the rise of the Nazi party, Einstein made Princeton his permanent home, becoming ...more
More about Albert Einstein...