Start by marking “Course of Theoretical Physics: Vol. 1, Mechanics” as Want to Read:
Course of Theoretical Physics: Vol. 1, Mechanics

Course of Theoretical Physics: Vol. 1, Mechanics

Devoted to the foundation of mechanics, namely classical Newtonian mechanics, the subject is based mainly on Galileo's principle of relativity and Hamilton's principle of least action. The exposition is simple and leads to the most complete direct means of solving problems in mechanics.
The final sections on adiabatic invariants have been revised and augmented. In addition
Published January 15th 1976 by Butterworth-Heinemann (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Course of Theoretical Physics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Course of Theoretical Physics

Bojan Tunguz
May 18, 2011 Bojan Tunguz rated it it was amazing
One of the most significant moments in my Physics education came during my sophomore year in college. I decided to pick up a copy of "Mechanics" by Landau and Lifshitz that was on reserve in the library for the mechanics class that I was taking. This is the first volume in the internationally renowned series of textbooks on theoretical Physics, the series that has a reputation for its sparse and difficult writing style, as well as the undoubted difficulty and brilliance of the material presented ...more
Angian
Sep 27, 2016 Angian rated it it was amazing
Una formulazione matematico-deduttiva della meccanica classica. Un testo molto popolare tra i fisici, dicono.

L'apprezzamento di un libro del genere non può che dipendere fortemente dal background del lettore. Io sono ingegnere delle telecomunicazioni (pure un po' arrugginito), quindi in una posizione intermedia tra il pubblico ideale (matematici e fisici) e un profano assoluto. Mi ci sono avvicinato con scarso ottimismo, mettendo in conto di dover abbandonare il testo per inadeguatezza manifesta
Paolo
Dec 29, 2013 Paolo rated it it was amazing
A classic concise exposure of the principles of theoretical physics from the mechanics on.
The genius of Lev in these pages.
Wetdryvac Wetdryvac
Feb 17, 2015 Wetdryvac Wetdryvac rated it it was amazing
This is the perfect example of why suffering any form of brain trauma is a bad plan. Once upon a time, I could *almost* keep up with this series. Now... I can sometimes almost remember what keeping up with this was like. When I was able to keep up, it was awesome. It's still awesome from a layman's perspective, but I have to spend ages running the numbers now, instead of, "This makes sense," And just know I'm good to go.

Grr. Yay. And more yay, since I actually sat down to re-read some and more o
Ryan
Apr 19, 2014 Ryan rated it really liked it
This book takes a large textbook on Advanced mechanics ie Goldstein and condenses it into the size of a short story paper back. I enjoyed this book but be ready to spend alot of time figuring out how to get from one page to the next. As Landau says "After a few simple substitutions" which turns out to be about three pages of integrals. Good Luck!!!
Rich Bergmann
Jan 21, 2015 Rich Bergmann rated it it was amazing
THE definitive treatment of Mechanics by one of the best mathematical physicists that ever lived.
Rahul Munshi
From word one, these guys meant business. Great book.
Ronald Lett
May 12, 2011 Ronald Lett rated it really liked it
The definitive work on the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulation of mechanics. Be wary that you should have a working knowledge of differential geometry or a mastery of analytic geometry as it will be fully applied to physical problems. It is also very dense, but very well written. By density, one means that a typical sentence contains the information that an entire chapter in an undergraduate text would spend time expounding. It is up to the mature reader to motivate any necessary expansion of ...more
dead letter office
Apr 17, 2008 dead letter office rated it it was amazing
Shelves: texts
there are no wasted words in this book, which makes it easily the most elegant presentation of classical mechanics i've ever seen. simultaneously a pleasure to read (when you see what's going on) and difficult to understand (when you don't). the starting point is the principle of least action, and newton's laws are only given as an afterthought.

it's hard to overstate the beauty of this text.

this is the first volume of the 10 volume landau/lifshitz course on physics, and by far my favorite of the
DJ
May 23, 2009 DJ rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: seasoned classical mechanics
Shelves: physics
I read about half of this but realized it's not exactly the greatest introductory text to classical mechanics.

Landau seems to have attained god-like status among many physicists for his "great books," but these are really only great in retrospect, as unifiers of concepts once you've learned them elsewhere. His books generally lack motivation or links to natural phenomena. That said, if you're looking for an introduction to any topics in physics, avoid Landau.
Cian Chartier
Oct 06, 2007 Cian Chartier rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: theoretical physics undergraduates
Shelves: mathematics
A concise and (mostly) well-written textbook on mechanics that may be tough-going for some undergraduates who don't really know their maths beforehand.
Jericho Cain
Sep 15, 2010 Jericho Cain rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
One of the best textbooks on mechanics I have ever read. It is clear and to the point without distracting tangents.
Manuela Carvalho
Feb 15, 2011 Manuela Carvalho rated it it was amazing
The best book of classical mechanics I've read
Deepender
Oct 19, 2012 Deepender marked it as to-read
nice book
Emeric SARRON
Emeric SARRON rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2016
John M.
John M. marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Gorana
Gorana marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Vaibhav
Vaibhav rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2016
Sourav
Sourav marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Antonio Aguillon
Antonio Aguillon rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
Anastasia
Anastasia marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Damian
Damian marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Eselojor Promise
Eselojor Promise marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Kumar Abhisek
Kumar Abhisek rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Indudhar Andanur
Indudhar Andanur marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Najwa
Najwa marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Pradeep Somu
Pradeep Somu marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Ege Özmeral
Ege Özmeral marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Neelkant Dubey
Neelkant Dubey marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
  • Cosmology
  • Quantum Computation and Quantum Information
  • Mathematics of Classical and Quantum Physics

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »