Start by marking “B-Mother” as Want to Read:
B-Mother

B-Mother

Hillary Birdsong’s idyllic New England childhood is brought to a sudden halt by the death of her beloved older brother. Brokenhearted and emotionally abandoned by her mother, Hillary consoles herself with city boy Miles, and at sixteen finds herself pregnant and a shame to her family. With few choices available to her—her parents won’t help her raise the child and the baby ...more
Published February 5th 2007 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about B-Mother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about B-Mother

Jennifer Larson
Sep 02, 2007 Jennifer Larson rated it liked it
This book is nicely written, but I had to put it down for awhile when it got to the part where the protagonist had to physically relinquish her baby to his adoptive parents. The author did an excellent job of conveying the anguish, but it was almost more than I could stand. I crept into my son's room and stared at him for awhile until I felt better, then returned to the book. This is a good book, but don't read it if you're feeling emotionally fragile at the time!
Bree
Dec 18, 2007 Bree rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2007, fiction
A really, really good book about what the birth mother goes through in the process of adoption and waiting until her baby is 18 and able to contact her. Set in the 70's when girls were pretty much forced to give up their babies because it was a disgrace to their family, it followed the emotions of one girl and how she was never really the same, a piece of her was missing. Great book!
Anna
Apr 09, 2016 Anna rated it liked it
A teenage girl, Hillary, gets pregnant to her summer boyfriend. He wants her to get rid of it. Her parents refuse to help, and send her off to a home for unwed mothers. Hillary gives her baby boy Tom up for adoption, with the condition that she is sent a letter each year on his birthday. Hillary goes back to her hometown, finishes high school and college. She ends up in a coastal town, waiting out the years til her son is eighteen and he can contact her.
This book was a bit slow to gain my intere
Tiffanie
Apr 11, 2011 Tiffanie rated it it was amazing
i LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!! I have a 4 month old daughter an this book literally made me tear up. an everytime it got to a sad part i had to put it down an look at her and think about how I would feel if I had to give her up for adoption. I too am a young mother prenant at 19 20 by delievery an I loved my pregnancy. The author was able to describe so well all the things that this girl was going through. DEFINITE read!!!
Mindy
Jun 24, 2011 Mindy rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-lit
A seemingly honest portrayal of the pain that comes from bad decisions, especially youth sex. Really enjoyed first half and appreciated that it didn't sugarcoat the effects, but stopped reading in the middle when the main character wasn't learning from her mistakes and kept slipping further off the deep end.
Lori
Apr 20, 2008 Lori rated it really liked it
Amazing story about a teen girl who becomes pregnant and decides to give her beloved baby up for adoption. This book actually made me cry the characters and emotions were so well developed. The story was so realistic I couldn’t help but wonder if the author had a similar experience. A fantastic first book.
Lee
Aug 12, 2008 Lee rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lee by: i know someone who knows someone
This is a great read with strong characters and a broad story arc. The domestic adoption experience from the birth mother's perspective is rendered in perfect detail however painful it must be. The story flows seamlessly into the later years of the once-teen b-mother. Highly recommended as a Great Read!
meghan
Oct 15, 2010 meghan rated it really liked it
b-mother was a gorgeous and sweeping account of loss and the effort it takes to re-build. This book taught me about a pain I had never considered, and high-lighted a part of parenthood that few people seem to talk about. The writing was sharp and the character's voices felt like friends by the end.
Delia
Jan 15, 2008 Delia rated it liked it
Recommends it for: someone interested in adoption
This story follows a pregnant teenager as she gives her baby up for adoption. Sure, it sounds like a tear-jerker, but it's really not. Pretty well-written but the story spans about 18 years even though it seems as though it feels as though time never elapses. OK but I wouldn't run out to get it.
Amanda
Mar 20, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: members of the adoption triad
Wow, this was hard to read. The author does an excellent job of writing a portrait of grief so real that is smacks you in the face. I felt like the end was trite... ok very trite... which is the only reason this is not five stars.
Jenna
Sep 12, 2007 Jenna rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: mothers, birth mothers, adoptees, adoptive parents, novel readers
One of the best novels I've ever read about the birth parent experience. I couldn't put it down.

For the rest of my review, please visit adoptionblogs.
Kylie Bevan
Mar 31, 2015 Kylie Bevan rated it liked it
Hmmm. Interesting story and I truly felt for the main character, frustrating to watch her life dribble by as she waited, waited, waited. Didn't find other characters were so easy to relate to. A good read but only that.
Anne
Oct 21, 2007 Anne rated it really liked it
I picked out this book randomly from the library shelves, and actually really enjoyed it. It's about adoption! I thought it was a pretty good portrail of a birth mother and adoptive parents and their experiences with the process of adoption.
Sharon
Nov 12, 2007 Sharon rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young women fiction readers
A rare view of what it could be like to give up a child for adoption, when you find yourself 16 and pregnant. The mindset of the young woman in this novel is amazing. It leaves bits and pieces, but overall is a good read.
Michele Gottfried
Mar 06, 2008 Michele Gottfried rated it liked it
It was pretty good - kind of depressing for most of it.
Katy
Jan 16, 2012 Katy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
Really good story. I sympathize with anyone who would have to go through the same thing.
Kendra
Jan 17, 2008 Kendra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adoption
This is a beautifully written story about a 16-year-old girl's decision to place her baby for adoption. It's a very touching and eye-opening book, and an easy read as well.
Rebecca Vnuk
Jan 12, 2016 Rebecca Vnuk rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully written story of a teenager in the 70s who gives up her child for adoption, and then spends her life always wondering about him. Not treacly, not controversial, very touching.
Thorn MotherIssues
Emotionally unrelenting, which is actually a good thing.
Jenny
Aug 06, 2014 Jenny rated it really liked it
The character of Hillary was frustrating at times, but overall I really liked this book. a very interesting view of adoption from the birth mother's perspective.
Kate
Oct 01, 2007 Kate rated it it was ok
It seems like it was well written, but I couldn't finish it.
Meggin
Mar 23, 2009 Meggin rated it did not like it
While the plot of this book was actually decent, it wasn't even close to worth it to wade through all the language and sexuality that it contained. Not worth your time.
Suzie Q
Mar 27, 2010 Suzie Q rated it really liked it
what life is like after giving up your child for adoption and what it was like to go into a home for unwed mothers to spare your family the shame that goes with it
Sara
Jul 24, 2007 Sara rated it really liked it
Shelves: justfinished
Looks like a skinny little book but is actually quite good. Very touching story for anyone who has children of their own. Some parts brought me near tears.
Sharron
Jun 26, 2008 Sharron rated it really liked it
As a mother this is a heart wrenching read, I cried at least 3 times. A good read if you want to reconfirm how much you love being a mom.
Aurora Public Library Illinois
Aurora Public Library Illinois rated it really liked it
May 23, 2012
Karla Dela
Karla Dela rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2012
Annmherman
Annmherman rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2009
Adrienne
Adrienne rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2007
Debi Taylor
Debi Taylor rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Ithaka: A Daughter's Memoir of Being Found
  • The Baby Thief: The Untold Story of Georgia Tann, the Baby Seller Who Corrupted Adoption
  • The Book of Sarahs: A Family in Parts
  • A Single Square Picture: A Korean Adoptee's Search for Her Roots
  • Outsiders Within: Writing on Transracial Adoption
  • In Their Own Voices: Transracial Adoptees Tell Their Stories
  • Toddler Adoption: The Weaver's Craft
  • Wanting a Daughter, Needing a Son: Abandonment, Adoption, and Orphanage Care in China
  • The Waiting Child: How the Faith and Love of One Orphan Saved the Life of Another
  • Attaching in Adoption: Practical Tools for Today's Parents