Start by marking “B-Mother” as Want to Read:
B-Mother

B-Mother

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Hillary Birdsong’s idyllic New England childhood is brought to a sudden halt by the death of her beloved older brother. Brokenhearted and emotionally abandoned by her mother, Hillary consoles herself with city boy Miles, and at sixteen finds herself pregnant and a shame to her family. With few choices available to her—her parents won’t help her raise the child and the baby ...more
Published February 5th 2007 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about B-Mother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about B-Mother

Jennifer Larson
This book is nicely written, but I had to put it down for awhile when it got to the part where the protagonist had to physically relinquish her baby to his adoptive parents. The author did an excellent job of conveying the anguish, but it was almost more than I could stand. I crept into my son's room and stared at him for awhile until I felt better, then returned to the book. This is a good book, but don't read it if you're feeling emotionally fragile at the time!
Bree
A really, really good book about what the birth mother goes through in the process of adoption and waiting until her baby is 18 and able to contact her. Set in the 70's when girls were pretty much forced to give up their babies because it was a disgrace to their family, it followed the emotions of one girl and how she was never really the same, a piece of her was missing. Great book!
Jenny
The character of Hillary was frustrating at times, but overall I really liked this book. a very interesting view of adoption from the birth mother's perspective.
Tiffanie
i LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!! I have a 4 month old daughter an this book literally made me tear up. an everytime it got to a sad part i had to put it down an look at her and think about how I would feel if I had to give her up for adoption. I too am a young mother prenant at 19 20 by delievery an I loved my pregnancy. The author was able to describe so well all the things that this girl was going through. DEFINITE read!!!
Lee
Aug 12, 2008 Lee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lee by: i know someone who knows someone
This is a great read with strong characters and a broad story arc. The domestic adoption experience from the birth mother's perspective is rendered in perfect detail however painful it must be. The story flows seamlessly into the later years of the once-teen b-mother. Highly recommended as a Great Read!
Lori
Amazing story about a teen girl who becomes pregnant and decides to give her beloved baby up for adoption. This book actually made me cry the characters and emotions were so well developed. The story was so realistic I couldn’t help but wonder if the author had a similar experience. A fantastic first book.
Mindy
A seemingly honest portrayal of the pain that comes from bad decisions, especially youth sex. Really enjoyed first half and appreciated that it didn't sugarcoat the effects, but stopped reading in the middle when the main character wasn't learning from her mistakes and kept slipping further off the deep end.
Delia
Jan 15, 2008 Delia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: someone interested in adoption
This story follows a pregnant teenager as she gives her baby up for adoption. Sure, it sounds like a tear-jerker, but it's really not. Pretty well-written but the story spans about 18 years even though it seems as though it feels as though time never elapses. OK but I wouldn't run out to get it.
Jenna
Sep 24, 2007 Jenna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mothers, birth mothers, adoptees, adoptive parents, novel readers
One of the best novels I've ever read about the birth parent experience. I couldn't put it down.

For the rest of my review, please visit adoptionblogs.
Anne
I picked out this book randomly from the library shelves, and actually really enjoyed it. It's about adoption! I thought it was a pretty good portrail of a birth mother and adoptive parents and their experiences with the process of adoption.
Amanda
Jun 24, 2011 Amanda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: members of the adoption triad
Wow, this was hard to read. The author does an excellent job of writing a portrait of grief so real that is smacks you in the face. I felt like the end was trite... ok very trite... which is the only reason this is not five stars.
Sharon
Nov 12, 2007 Sharon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young women fiction readers
A rare view of what it could be like to give up a child for adoption, when you find yourself 16 and pregnant. The mindset of the young woman in this novel is amazing. It leaves bits and pieces, but overall is a good read.
Kendra
This is a beautifully written story about a 16-year-old girl's decision to place her baby for adoption. It's a very touching and eye-opening book, and an easy read as well.
Suzie Q
what life is like after giving up your child for adoption and what it was like to go into a home for unwed mothers to spare your family the shame that goes with it
Meggin
While the plot of this book was actually decent, it wasn't even close to worth it to wade through all the language and sexuality that it contained. Not worth your time.
Sara
Looks like a skinny little book but is actually quite good. Very touching story for anyone who has children of their own. Some parts brought me near tears.
Sharron
As a mother this is a heart wrenching read, I cried at least 3 times. A good read if you want to reconfirm how much you love being a mom.
Katy
Really good story. I sympathize with anyone who would have to go through the same thing.
Kate
It seems like it was well written, but I couldn't finish it.
Michele Gottfried
It was pretty good - kind of depressing for most of it.
Thorn MotherIssues
Emotionally unrelenting, which is actually a good thing.
Isabelle
Isabelle is currently reading it
Jan 27, 2015
Krystal Gibson
Krystal Gibson marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Tanay Powell
Tanay Powell marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Rachel Stage
Rachel Stage marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
MAFO Book
MAFO Book marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Mandee
Mandee marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Ithaka: A Daughter's Memoir of Being Found
  • The Baby Thief: The Untold Story of Georgia Tann, the Baby Seller Who Corrupted Adoption
  • Somebody's Daughter
  • When the Black Girl Sings
  • Lucky Girl
  • Twenty Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew
  • A Single Square Picture
  • The Boy from Baby House 10: From the Nightmare of a Russian Orphanage to a New Life in America
  • The Family Nobody Wanted
  • In Their Own Voices: Transracial Adoptees Tell Their Stories
  • Outsiders Within: Writing on Transracial Adoption
  • Wanting a Daughter, Needing a Son: Abandonment, Adoption, and Orphanage Care in China
  • Two Little Girls: A Memoir of Adoption
  • Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited
  • The Primal Wound: Understanding the Adopted Child
  • Jessica Lost: A Story of Birth, Adoption & The Meaning of Motherhood
  • Like Family: Growing Up in Other People's Houses: A Memoir
  • The Waiting Child: How the Faith and Love of One Orphan Saved the Life of Another
Author of "b-mother", published by Harcourt Trade, 2007; winner of the Patricia Dobler Poetry Prize, from Carlow University's MFA program, May 2007."
More about Maureen O'Brien...
Close-Up On Death Watch Me Grow: I'm One-Two-Three: A Parent's Essential Guide to the Extraordinary Toddler to Preschool Years Watch Me Grow: I'm Two: Every Parent's Guide to the Lively & Challenging 24- to 36-Month-Old Every Step You Take Dead Innocent