Start by marking “Our Man in Belize: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Our Man in Belize: A Memoir

Our Man in Belize: A Memoir

A settlement established by shipwrecked English sailors in 1683, Belize is now a country of wildlife refuges and spectacular snorkling reefs. Conroy vividly and hilariously recounts his adventures in a very different Belize. Conroy admits that his tales "have taken on a life of their own" - tales of disasters, for example, like the dinner party at which an Obeah witch doct ...more
Published November 1st 1997 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Our Man in Belize, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Man in Belize

dianne
Oct 06, 2013 dianne rated it really liked it
Shelves: belize
For a book to come this close to claiming a connection with Graham Green one should contain juicy tads of truth, a whole lot of self deprecating humor, and hopefully an honest reflection of a moment in history we don't need to repeat - all very well written. Check. British Honduras (Belize) in the very early sixties complete with incompetent, pompous English in charge of the colonials with whom they never mix, and equally ridiculous Americans. Hard to put down. Because it is a memoir, however, t ...more
Anna
Nov 26, 2007 Anna rated it liked it
This is a very funny and interesting read about Belize in the early 60's, told from the point of view of a Foreign Service vice-consul. It is amazing how many similarities there are between Belize then and now, forty years later. Fascinating and told with a dry and witty humor.
Rhode
Jan 01, 2015 Rhode rated it really liked it
God this was funny but also truthful. It certainly put me off ever wanting to visit Belize. Marvelous book though.
Renee
Oct 22, 2008 Renee rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: foreign service alum, anyone
Our Man in Belize is an absolutely delightful read! Conroy tells the story of how he went from Oak Ridge engineer to Foreign Service consular officer in the British Honduras (now called Belize) in the early 60s. The tale is told with a great deal of wit, humor, self-effacement & with wry observations on the State Dept, his boss in Belize, the natives, the state of things there, etc. It's hilarious!
Marnie
Mar 30, 2009 Marnie rated it really liked it
Not so much a thriller, but a casual telling of being a US consulate in remote British Honduras before it became independent Belize.

"They were interesting times and tales the perhaps ought to be told, but not here, for this is the story of my yellow boots and how I saved them from a lake of toxic mercury in Oak Ridge, only to have them perish in an ocean of sewage in Belize."
Susan
Jan 07, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Conroy, a member of the United States foreign service, was posted in then-British Honduras during the hurricane of 1961, which cost many lives. That provides a focus for the book, but despite the danger of that period, the enjoyment is in the colorful characters Conroy meets and his reactions to them.
Apr 05, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
This book is humorous in its introduction to life in Belize. It makes me wonder how things may or may not have changed.
Cheryl
Dec 09, 2009 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
An amusing account of the not-so-glamorous side of life in the Foreign Service, via a family based in Belize.
Beth
Feb 15, 2010 Beth marked it as to-read
I am having trouble finding this book and I really wanted to read it while I'm in Belize next week :(
Christopher Holland
Christopher Holland marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Terri
Terri marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Carlina
Carlina marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Murr
Murr added it
Mar 07, 2016
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Marcia Lawrence
Marcia Lawrence marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Shannon Alexander
Shannon Alexander marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Ed
Ed marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
m. de maupin
m. de maupin rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2015
A
A marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2015
Al
Al rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2015
Kelli
Kelli marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Linda Rochelle
Linda Rochelle marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Timo Modok
Timo Modok rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2014
Christian West
Christian West rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2014