Start by marking “Love That Dog (Jack, #1)” as Want to Read:

look like a poem
when you see it
typed up
like that."

Jack hates poetry. Only girls write it and every time he tries to, his brain feels empty. But his teacher, Ms. Stretchberry, won't stop giving her class poetry assignments -- and Jack can't avoid them. But then something amazing happens. The more he writes, the more he learns he does have something to say.
Published April 8th 2008 by HarperCollins (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Love That Dog, please sign up.

Erin I enjoyed reading this with my 5th graders.
Crank by Ellen HopkinsImpulse by Ellen HopkinsIdentical by Ellen HopkinsBurned by Ellen HopkinsGlass by Ellen Hopkins
Novels in Verse
8th out of 240 books — 574 voters
The Seven Natural Wonders Of The EARTH by Anna OthitisThe Magic of Finkleton by K.C. HiltonMy First Travel Angelic Airline Adventures by Anna OthitisCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart
Cool Books for Grades 4-6
24th out of 562 books — 628 voters

More lists with this book...

I don’t want to

Make you sad?
I hope not
but I
if it does.

Love That Dog takes less than 3 minutes to read. Okay, maybe a bit more if you’re on your 4th glass of Sangria (but who’s counting) and you linger on phrases. Phrases like:

‘and jumping on me
his shaggy straggly paws
on my chest
like he was trying
to hug the inside
right out of me’

Poems, PO-EMS. They
One of my all time favorites -- the SWEETEST little story written in journal format as a little boy learns to love poetry with the help of his teacher. It is cleverly written and fun to read. A good read-a-loud with your kids. warning -- you might cry!
Jul 15, 2015 Margaret rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents, kids, teachers
Recommended to Margaret by: Jackie, a great fourth grade teacher
This is a second read-through of an entertaining and educational little book for children about writing poetry. It’s set in an elementary school classroom and begins with Jack writing a complaining note to his teacher that “boys / don’t write poetry. / / Girls do.” But, of course, it is no surprise that this boy will write poetry and at least some of it will be about a much-loved dog.

Apart from the relatively thin storyline, this book makes its point about the power of poetry (and of persisten
I love love love this book! It was my favorite by Sharon Creech until she published Heartbeat , and now I can't say which I like more. It is written entirely in free verse written in the school notebook of a boy who is a reluctant poetry pupil. The poetic form, believability of Jack (the main character), and the story he ultimately tells are simply smashing. This book would also be a great way to introduce young people to poetry; Jack's responses to a few well-known poems are written in his not ...more
Missy Kutyla
I am so happy Dr. Junko Yokota suggested this novel to read because it is one of her favorites. I feel Sharon Creech , winner of the Newbery Medal for Walk Two Moons, took me to a place that was full of sounds, images, and forms. This short novel is a weekly journal entry from the point of view of Jack, a young student, initially appalled at the suggestions to read, let alone, write a poem. Each week a poem was recited to the class and his journaling about the assignment showed a progression of ...more
i am loving

like Miss Stretchberry
who makes
fall in love

Brianne Vercellotti
Love That Dog is one of those quick reads that literally takes about ten minutes to finish, but stays in your mind for a much longer time after that. Losing a pet is always hard. For many people it's the equivalent of losing a best friend. I know exactly how that feels. My family lost our dog, Macey. I was very young at the time. This was one of the hardest things I ever experienced. Reading this book brought back a lot of memories. It will make any reader cry. I also know wha
Anna Smithberger
I've got to start by saying that I'm not much of a poetry person, never have been, especially free verse since I tend to see them as lyrical short stories. This is just me and my own weird poetry biases. This is also me being pretty sure that I am the only person who managed to make it through school without ever reading that red wheelbarrow poem. I can't explain how, but it is one of those odd things that frustrates me when it turns up.
On to the actual book. It was sweet and short, and I love a
Apr 05, 2009 Beth added it
Love this book
Laura Noto
Love that Dog is a book of poems for Third to Sixth graders. It features poems written by the main character, Jack. Most of the poems are directed toward his teacher, Miss Stretchberry. At first he doesn’t want to write poetry. He is embarrassed and ashamed of his work and he doesn’t feel like his poems are good. He gives his teacher permission to type and display them on the board, but he requests that his name is left off. As the book continues he starts modeling other poems that Miss
Love That Dog by Sharon Creech was such an adorable book. It was about a boy named Jack who did not want to or believe that he could write poetry. As the book continues Jack starts to write short little poems that he does not want anyone to know are his. Finally, he gets more comfortable writing poems and lets his teacher hang them up with his name on them to share with the class. Jack also gets to meet his inspiration Mr. Walter Dean Myers.
Sharon Creech did a good job of matching the sounds of
Ms. Gutner
1.) I liked this book because I felt that I was really able to connect with the main character, Jack. I am similar to Jack because I also didn’t want to write poetry and it took me time to be able to enjoy writing it. Just like Jack, I thought that “I couldn’t do it” (2). I also didn’t enjoy poetry at first because I didn’t understand it, just like Jack (3).

2.) You would like this book if you like dogs, especially If you really enjoy reading books and watching movies about dogs. If you have rea
Jamie Forrest
I was completely unprepared for the emotional toll this lovely book had on me. I had tears running down my face... I giggled... I held my breath... This was an absolutely eye-opening reading experience for me. I wish that I had had a Miss Stretchberry to teach me to love and write poetry as Jack does during this book.

Since I didn't have that opportunity, it makes me want to learn to be a bit more like Miss S. for my own students... If you have any other books I should read to inspire this kind o
it keeps popping back in your head
until your brain
feels like
a squashed pea.”

Love That Dog is one of those quick, light reads that literally takes about ten minutes to finish, but stays in your mind for a much longer time after that. In just 86 pages, Sharon Creech introduces a third grader named Jack who, at first, hates poetry. The very first line is as follows: “I d
I love this book. I've read it several times and the last time I read it was to the fourth graders. They loved it as well. It's a very tender story about a boy and his dog, all told through poetry. Creech does an excellent job weaving famous poetry throughout the story. It was a great introduction to our poetry unit and only took 2 days to read. (You can read the whole book in about 30 minutes.)

Makes me cry. Every. Time.
This is one of my very favorite books. I have read the whole book or at least parts of it to each class that I have taught, even my first graders. I have probably read it at least 10 times. It never gets old. I love animals, teaching, and I guess I can relate on many different levels.
Taylor Price
Personal Response: This is such a cute book. It is a 25 minute read. Every minute really gave me a lot of joy in the simplicity of a young mind. All of the emotions that a child holds and how the status quo existed even in the mind of a fifth grade student. When I first dabbled in poetry, back in fifth grade, I vaguely remember that feeling. As this story progresses he writes to his favorite poet. This poets name is Walter Dean Myers. Jack's love for his dog is very relatable at that age for me. ...more
Samantha Jeremiah
Summary and Analysis:

Love That Dog is a book that would be appropriate for upper elementary or middle school students. Even high school students could appreciate the story and format of this book. Love That Dog is a novel told in free verse and is about a young boy named Jack's struggle with poetry. Although he likes some of the poems that his teacher reads to the class, he struggles with writing poetry. Even though his teacher compliments him on some of his work, Jack requests that his name no
Nov 22, 2009 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
Non-Print Book on CD- Audiobook
I enjoyed this book on CD, but surprisingly enough, I much preferred reading the book myself. The CD is read by the actor Scott Wolf, known to some as "Bailey" from the TV show "Party of Five". I think that his voice totally threw me off, because I kept visualizing his dimples as he tried to be Jack, the main character in the book. I was bothered by it. Because people had told me how much they loved this book, I read the book following the listening of it. The book
(B) Archer at KIPP
Mar 12, 2008 (B) Archer at KIPP rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to (B) Archer by: Daniel Barrientos
Shelves: boys-have-read
The book I was reading was Love That Dog by Sharon Creech. Some times I feel like writing is only for girls and that if I make some poem or writing assignment I had to put anonymous in the authors name because they might not be too good or people might make fun of me because I’m writing, and that’s one of the reasons why I like this book because it shows you that writing is not for girls only.
This book is about this guy that is writing poetry all the time and he thinks poetry is for girls only.
Maria Nesmith
I really enjoyed the book "Love That Dog" by Sharon Creech. This book is about a boy named Jack who is a student of Miss Stretchberry. In Miss Stretchberry’s classroom Jack has to write poetry. In the beginning of the book Jack shows no interest at all in poetry, he even says, “I don’t want to because boys don’t write poetry. Girls do.” As the book progresses Jack finds his inner poet and his best work is a poem about his dog Sky.

This book used great images. Although there were no pictures in t
Kristine Hall
This was in a box of books that one of our million kids decided he/she didn't want any more at some time. . . based on the copyright date and condition of our copy, it was a while ago.

I decided to read it because when I was working as an elementary librarian last fall, it was constantly checked-out, usually by 4th and 5th graders. My curiosity got me to crack it open.

Having no idea what I was in for, I was surprised that the book is about poetry (and more, of course) and KIDS CHECKED-OUT THIS B
Reread. I'm not sure when I first read this book - probably about when it came out - I know I read it for school to see if I would want to use it in my classroom or recommend it to kids. I remember where I read it - in the corner chair of the family room. I remember because it made such an impact on me, and I sat there crying as I finished it. Well, the same thing happened again - in my car on my way to school, listening to it this time on audio. What a masterpiece this book is. I don't know how ...more
Really lovely book, written from the perspective of a middle school boy as he holds conversations with his teacher about poetry, writing, and of course, his wag-wag-wagging yellow dog named Sky. Clever, and funny, and heartclenchy, it's a perfect short read for anyone - middle grade or adult! (Thank you for sending this to us, Natalie!)
April JoAnne
Jun 14, 2011 April JoAnne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to April by: Elizabeth
Shelves: favorites
I really loved this book. I'm not used to reading novels in verse this was one of the first times actually, but I loved it. Seriously, loved it!
And it also made reference to a poem, "The Red Wheelbarrow" where it seems the young poet had a similar take on it as I did the first time I read it in high school. It's amazing how such a short book made me laugh and cry and love it so much!

PS Some of these other reviews kind of annoyed me. Especially the people who gave it one or two stars, I feel lik
This was a great little book! I wanted to give it five stars, but I really wouldn't classify it as amazing - just great.

This is a book of poetry written in journal format from the point of view of a young boy asked to write poetry by his teacher, but he really doesn't want to. He ends up writing some really great poems! Another thing that I loved about this book were the tie ins (and inclusion at the back of the book) to some very famous poems.

I plan to use this book as an intro to teaching po
I read the second book (Hate That Cat) first, and this one is much the same in style and feel. I love the delightful free verse about poetry and how poetry is about life. There are some fun take-offs on famous poems (nice to have the actual poems for reference in the back of the book). Here's a good example of the way the book is written:
it keeps popping back
into your head
think about it
As a lover and writer of poetry, I'm always on the lookout for ways to help my first grade students fall in love with poems as well. I read a recommendation that said this was the book to do it. I can see why, but I don't think I agree. At least not for my students anyway.

This is a book written entirely in verse by a boy named Jack. His teacher wants him to write poetry and without even trying, he excels (if only it were really that easy). His teacher introduces some of the great poets which are
Gwynette Koch
  • Diamond Willow
  • Kakapo Rescue: Saving the World's Strangest Parrot
  • BookSpeak!: Poems about Books
  • Planet Middle School
I was born in South Euclid, Ohio, a suburb of Cleveland, and grew up there with my noisy and rowdy family: my parents (Ann and Arvel), my sister (Sandy), and my three brothers (Dennis, Doug and Tom).
For a fictional view of what it was like growing up in my family, see Absolutely Normal Chaos. (In that book, the brothers even have the same names as my own brothers.) Our house was not only full of
More about Sharon Creech...

Jack (2 books)
  • Hate That Cat (Jack, #2)

it keeps popping back in your head