Start by marking “The Girl Next Door” as Want to Read:
The Girl Next Door

The Girl Next Door

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  369 ratings  ·  47 reviews
She's out to clear his father's name...and caught in killer's sights.

The affluent town of Hoffman, Ney Jersey, was shattered when esteemed doctor Duncan Avery stabbed his wife to death one spring evening. Now, fifteen years later, struggling actress Nina Avery -- who never doubted her father's innocence -- returns to Hoffman when he is paroled and moves home. Not only does
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published May 11th 2010 by Pocket (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl Next Door

Ron Hummer
In the town of Hoffman New Jersey, a high school student named Nina Avery came home after a date and found that her mother had been murdered. The man in the room with her mother was her father, Dr. Duncan Avery. He would be accused of the murder and be in jail for the next 15 years.
Throughout all that time in jail Duncan denied that he killed his wife even though the evidence was overwhelming. Yet, after a parole hearing, Duncan was freed and Nina was there, ready to take him in and help him
Milissa
Excellent book

This book was great. I couldn't put it down. I read it very quickly. This author is one of my new favorite authors. The book had a great plot and an excellent ending. I will be buying more of this author's books
Monique
Okay so have been away for a minute I know, with good reason my friends I am now ENGAGED and deep in wedding planning mode so its harder and harder to read books and stay focused on anything as it seems there are a million and one other things I need to be focused on..but I apologize on to the review, I thought this would be something quick and intriguing to read but found it was anything but..its the story of a family torn apart when their mother is found brutally murdered in the kitchen on nig ...more
Jen
I've been reading a lot of detective mysteries as of late. This one, refreshingly, was NOT told in the first-person point of view.

To avoid spoilers, I will simply say that I was kept guessing from twist to twist, and was heard to comment aloud during the read, "I was positive I'd figured that part out already..." MacDonald banks on the reader's tendency to lean a certain way, expecting the basest, jaded view most of us have - and uses this to her advantage, thereby spinning a surprising tale. Th
Jack Dixon
This was a very pleasurable read full of mystery and suspense, an enjoyable and fun ride! I was hooked from the start and would love to read more by this author.
Linda
Nina Avery, fourteen years old, lived in a dysfunctional home. There is wonder that she could turn out so normal with little love between her parents and two older brothers with problems of their own. So when her father is accused of murdering her mother, she goes to live with an aunt.

Fast forward to fifteen years later: she was the one who never believed her dad could have committed murder. Her father finally is paroled and comes to live with her but they encounter the realistic problems that
Kathleen Hagen
The Girl Next Door, by Patricia McDonald. A.
I like this author very much. This is the third book I’ve read by her. Each one seems to be a stand-alone. In this book, Nina was in high school, 14 years old, and asked on her very first date to a movie. She was so excited about it that she wasn’t paying too much attention to the usual arguments between her parents. Then, when she came home from the date, she found her mother bleeding to death on the floor and her dad kneeling over her. Her two brothe
Barbara
Oh god! I kind of regretted taking this out from the local library – similar to buyer’s remorse; but of course this was free and not an impulsive purchase. The description seemed interesting at first. Then, when it came time to read this, I thought this might be a depressing read. A family torn apart by the murder of the mother and the father supposedly to blame does not really seem to make an easy, enjoyable read.

Well, it wasn’t a picnic, but it wasn’t as bad as I expected either. In fact, it g
Gina
Nina is looking forward to her father's release from prison. He had been convicted of murdering his wife, a crime that she feels he was falsely accused of committing. When he is out of prison he seeks to solve the murder, but it could be dangerous to him or to Nina.
Morandia
Loved the last 25% of the book but it was a serious struggle getting there. I was bored out of my mind. Had it not been an interlibrary loan book, I would have just stopped reading but I always feel guilty borrowing from another library and not finishing it. The ending was great, a nice twist, but I doubt I will read any more of her books.
Kat
Christy
I borrowed rhis from my Mom. Wow. This is not exactly the kind of book I would normally read but the cover and synopsis had me intrigued. It was one of those novels I didn't want to put down and had it read within a few hours. Nina and her family were torn apart when she was 14 after her mother was brutally murdered and her father sent to prison for her death. Nina Never believed her farher was guilty despite court evidence. Fast forward. 15 yrs later, Ninas father is paroled and she brings him ...more
Kristin Danko
A woman returns to her New Jersey hometown, in order to try to clear her father's name in her mother's murder that took place 15 years before. In the meantime, another mystery occurs...
Betty
Two nights of reading until I was too cross eyed to keep going on this page turner!
I'm making my Patricia MacDonald TBR wish list as I write this!
Melissa
Listened to audio. Girl's mother is murdered, father claims innocence but goes to jail. Lots of action, good mystery overall.
Joy
Started off great, then got a little slower in the middle, but picked up quickly. An enjoyable read!
Gina
I never expected it to be the murderer that was revealed at the end. But, I am really not surprised. I will be reading more from this author. This book was worth checking out. I am glad it was recommended to me.
Stephanie
I read this back in the Spring of 2008. I remember it being a good book.
Natalie
Beaucoup aimé! Je n'avais pas deviné le dénouement...
Alan Jordan
I picked up this book on a whim as "something to read" while on vacation and am so glad I did. I was not aware of Particia MacDonald or her work but look forward to reading more of her material.
The story was well paced and wonderfully written with a few good twists to keep you guessing up until the end. I did read one review that stated they "knew who done it" early on, well kudos to them, I discovered it the same time the author did.
Anyway, good book and I would recommend Ms.MacDonald to an
Dixie
good mystery
Nattie
It has been a long time since a book made me burst into tears after reading it, but there I was crying my eyes out. This is a really sad story, it has a good ending, but nothing could ease my sadness. None of what happened should have, and it just broke my heart. I've become a big fan of Patricia MacDonald, she doesn't mess around with 400 page books with half of them being filler. She usually keeps it under 300 pages, and every word counts.
Carol
Story revolves around a man sent to prison for killing his wife. His daughter does not believe he did he and supports his bid for parole. He wants to go back to the town the murder happened in so he can prove his innocense. He doesn' but this daughter does almost at the cost of her own life.
Luis Martínez
Oh god Nina what did you do? Amazing characters, and great story. An excellent thriller is the way to think about this. When you are reading, the autor gives many twist to the story. You think who did it was X, but then you think it was Y. and after, she is ending the story with an EXCITING twist.
Valerie
I love Patricia MacDonald's novels. They have all the suspense and surprise twists in them that I have come to expect from my favorite authors. This one is no exception. I read it in one sitting and was very glad all the loose ends were neatly tied up in a great package at the end.
Kae Cheatham
OK story about a girl who's father went to jail for killing her mother, but she didn't believe he did it. When he's paroled, he also is killed. Suspects range from her hostile older brother to persons unknown. Well developed story. Characters were sort of bland.
Julie
Another suspenseful novel by Patricia Macdonald. It was such a page turner and had me suspecting almost every character. I also appreciate that each book stands alone. I have too many series I'm trying to read in order.
Vicki Tyley
The story didn’t grab me straight away as Patricia MacDonald’s books usually do, but being a fan, I persevered. I’m glad I did. Once I got into it, I didn’t want to put it down.
Priscilla VdL
This is a thriller with depth in its characters, which is nice to read about...The ending was intense, a book is good when the ending is intense (at least for me)
Patty
Really liked this book. Have never read this author before...glad I did. Fast interesting read and nice twisted ending that I really didn't see coming.
  • The Death Artist (Kate McKinnon, #1)
  • Dark Truth (Truth #3)
  • Their Wildest Dreams: A Novel
  • Death Goes on Retreat (Sister Mary Helen, #6)
  • Lie Still
  • Black Hornet (Lew Griffin, #3)
  • Conflict of Interest
  • The Cliff House Strangler (Sarah Woolson, #3)
  • Blues in the Night (Molly Blume, #1)
  • Midnight Rain
  • False Testimony (Marty Nickerson, #4)
  • Lulu Dark and the Summer of the Fox
  • The Hunted
  • The Victim In Victoria Station (Dorothy Martin, #5)
  • The Office of the Dead (Roth, #3)
  • The Whispering Room
  • 'Til Death Do Us Part (Bailey Weggins Mystery, #3)
  • Life Sentence

Patricia MacDonald is the author of several psychological suspense novels set in small towns. MacDonald grew up in Greenwich, Connecticut and has a master's degree from Boston College. Before writing her own novels she was a book editor and was once an editor for a soap opera magazine in New York. She is marri
More about Patricia MacDonald...
Missing Child Sisters Married to a Stranger Cast into Doubt Stolen in the Night