Start by marking “La Vida Y Peliculas De Kurosawa Y Mifune/The Life And Films Of Kurosawa And Mifune: El Emperador Y El Lobo (Spanish Edition)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
La Vida Y Peliculas De...

Stuart Galbraith IV

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  173 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Akira Kurosawa and Toshiro Mifune made sixteen feature films together, including Rashomon, Seven Samurai, and Yojimbo — all undisputed masterworks of world cinema. The Emperor and the Wolf is an in-depth look at these two great artists and their legacy that brims with behind-the-scenes details, many never before known, about their tumultuous lives and stormy relationships ...more
Published (first published 2002)

Be the first to ask a question about La Vida Y Peliculas De Kurosawa Y Mifune/The Life And Films Of Kurosawa And Mifune

Chris
Jul 21, 2007 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book had come out a few years ago, and I kept waiting to buy it. Several years later, and now out of print, it commands up to several hundred dollars.

I staked out Ebay and after time sniped a softcover for $50. I was pretty damned excited.

For the first few chapters I was on fire. Here was an in-depth, passionate, clearly written biography of an amazing pair of collaberators- Akira Kurosawa, director and Toshiro Mifune, actor. I couldn't wait to read more.

So much for that.

About 1/3 of the wa
Dave
Mar 08, 2009 Dave rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A combination biography/filmography of both Kurosawa and Mifune. It's a huge book, and many of the films discussed are unavailable in English or outside of Japan, if at all. In some cases this is annoying -- some of them sound amazing -- and useful since your chances of finding them is basically nonexistent so some info is better than none. Galbraith goes to great lengths to paint Kurosawa and Mifune as the complex individuals that they are -- no simple "good guy" vs "bad guy" portraits -- while ...more
Tariq Beshty
A filmography in the guise of biography.
Chris
Nov 13, 2007 Chris marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This book is MASSIVE! I bought it back when it first came out and then stopped reading it because I felt like I was ruining the viewing experience for myself with the Kurosawa/Mifune films that I have yet to watch.

Someday I will have watched all of them and then I will finish reading the book.

I'm a nerd like that.
Psychopu
Galbraith's book is a quick read, but quite dull for the most part. The beginning seems very promising, but after the first chapters the writing consists mostly in endless cataloguing of productions, film synopses, and critical reception of movies in the US, with some superficial historical and biographical notes thrown in for exhaustiveness' sake. There are many inaccuracies throughout and oversimplifications, too. As someone else said, Galbraith's work reads more like a filmography, although c ...more
Thomas Gardner
As a huge fan of Kurosawa and Mifune, each getting my vote for the all time best in his chosen craft, I salivated over the possibility of reading this book, and paid through the nose on eBay to get one. While thrilled to learn of non-Kurosawa Japanese films I had never heard of and have since been watching, and grateful for the extensive research this author put in and the breadth of his knowledge, I had hoped for a more compelling read. I read a LOT of biographies, and enjoy those that have a f ...more
Yasmin
Jul 24, 2013 Yasmin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book with the distinct impression the author takes films and film making too seriously. On a personal note I cheerfully skipped the reviews of the movies by U.S. critics, they're reviews would not reflect on me and happily I watched some of Akira Kurosawa's films without being influenced by reviews at all. Which in his case and in the case of many other movies it is wise not to follow film critic reviews, you may miss out on a treat otherwise! For myself I was look on film as an ...more
Paul Apelgren
Mar 27, 2016 Paul Apelgren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book made me want to see every Kurosawa film ever made.
Michael Hawk
Jan 07, 2010 Michael Hawk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Um, I have no review yet because I have been "reading" this book for like 4 years now. It is long. Not too long to not get through it, I'm just weird this way.

So far though, valuable addition to my Japanese cinema library. It is a double biography weaving in and out of the lives of Kurosawa and Mifune and how the teacher and apprentice made some of the best films ever seen.

I should really finish it soon. Right after I read.....
Nick
Mar 06, 2010 Nick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I was never going to read this from start to finish; I don't have that kind of patience for most things, even subjects of deep interest.
I'm reading this in fits and starts, from the middle, ten pages here, a photograph there
Still, highly educational and inspiring.
A book to keep.
Andrew Cioffi
Aug 17, 2013 Andrew Cioffi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are a fan of the collaborative efforts of these two giants, this is an essential read. There is so much history behind what made it to the screen that enriches te experience of their films. Wonderful read. Very well written. I found that I could not put this book down.
Lauren
Mar 22, 2016 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very thorough review of the lives and filmography of Kurosawa and Mifune. Spoiler alert: because the plot of each film is summarized, this book is full of spoilers, so don't read it right before watching the films!
Jbondandrews
Jul 13, 2013 Jbondandrews rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought that Stuart Galbraith's book about Akira and Toshiro was wonderful! However I do wish there had been more about Takashi, though perhaps there is a biography about him about him out there somewhere.
Nov 20, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: film fans, John Belushi
A very thorough and surprisingly readable dual biography of the two men behind some of my favorite films. Any information not contained in this book is likely unknowable.
Alex
The Emperor and the Wolf: The Lives and Films of Akira Kurosawa and Toshiro Mifune by Stuart Galbraith IV (2002)
Dillon
May 02, 2009 Dillon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm only giving this a 5-star because I can't give it a 6.
Calvin
Mar 04, 2008 Calvin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: about-the-movies
Great read, great characters
Alastair Kemp
Alastair Kemp marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Shawn Giton
Shawn Giton marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Jake
Jake marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Alan Smith
Alan Smith rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
Lise
Lise marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
خالد الشمري
خالد الشمري marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
M
M marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Amna
Amna marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
  • Something Like an Autobiography
  • The Films of Akira Kurosawa
  • The Warrior's Camera: The Cinema of Akira Kurosawa
  • The Haunted Screen: Expressionism in the German Cinema and the Influence of Max Reinhardt
  • Conversations with Wilder
  • Cassavetes on Cassavetes
  • The Films in My Life
  • Who the Devil Made It: Conversations With Legendary Film Directors
  • This Is Orson Welles
  • Robert Mitchum: "Baby I Don't Care"
Stuart Galbraith IV is the author of seven books. He also makes DVD audio commentaries and liner-note essays, writes a DVD column for the English edition of "The Daily Yomiuri", and reviews DVDs at DVDTalk.com. He lives in Kyoto.
More about Stuart Galbraith IV...