Start by marking “Rebellion” as Want to Read:
Rebellion

Rebellion (The MacGregors 0.1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  5,576 ratings  ·  125 reviews
Mass Market Paperback, 298 pages
Published June 1st 1999 by Harlequin Books (first published 1988)

Mary
This gives us the back, back story of the MacGregors and it's a great read and a real change of pace for Nora Roberts. Historical romance is not her usual thing but she does not disappoint. Set in Scotland in 1745 against the backdrop of Culloden, we get the first Serena MacGregor and her love story. It's fun to read about the ancestors of characters we've come to love. I highly recommend this book for lovers of the series but it can be read as a stand alone book. Enjoy, I did.
HÜLYA
MacGregors klanının tarihçesi idi bu kitap muhteşemdi..Nora Roberts'in kaleminden ilk defa bir historical roman okudum..Kitap su gibi akıyordu desem hani abartmış olmam kesinlikle..Kitabı elimden bırakamadım..
Yıl 1745 Yer İskoçya ünlü isyan hareketinin başlangıcı..İskoçlar tahta Stuat Hanedanında Charles'i getirmek için isyan ederler..İşte roman tam bu atmosferde Kuzey İskoçya'da geçiyor..
Romandaki kadın karakter Serena(Rena) MacGregor
Erkek Karakter ise yarı İskoçyalı Lord Ashburn-Brigham Langs
abi rafon
a refreshing story set against the bloody background of the historic Battle of Culloden.

it was nice to read the war and remind me of the young bonnie prince charles stuart. the jacobite rebellion was a very bloody war and it always touches me everytime i read about it. and as usual it bring me down knowing what had happened to the scots. but nora roberts did made a good job justifying the story. with her page turner writing style and interesting scenes, you will soon be finished reading her book
Dina
I started/stopped reading this book so many times that I lost count. I just cant get through it and, as of now, Im officially giving up on it. ...more
İnci Puyan

Kapaktan da anlaşıldığı üzere bir tarihi aşk kitabıydı. İskoç ve İngilizlerin karmasıydı.

Ve asıl önemli olan da yazarın Nora Roberts olması... Bu kadının çok güzel güncel aşk romanı yazdığına tanık oldum. MacGregor ailesinin aşklarını okuduktan sonra tarihi aşk kitabını ve serininde yeni kitabı olduğunu görünce alıp okuyayım dedim ve kadının tarihi aşkı da çok güzel yazdığını gördüm. Kadın tek kelimeyle mükemmel bir yazar.

Karakterler arasındaki diyaloglar
Julie
Brigham Langston, Earl of Ashburn, was nothing but a hated English Lord to Serena MacGregor, and she swore that was all he would ever be. Her fear had fed her hatred for the English for many years. So when her younger brother, Coll, arrived back home from a long military duty with not just any Englishman, but a friend and nobleman, Serena is much less than civil. The shock of her beauty is soon replaced by the shock of her foul temper and bitter tongue, and Brig is determined to meet her challe ...more
Julie
I chose to follow the time line when starting this series. So, although this was not the first book published in the MacGregor series, it starts at the beginning of the story. So, in the 1700's we meet Serena and her family.
Serena despises the English. When her brother allied with an Earl, Serena lets her temper get the better of her. But, Lord Brigham was smitten with her despite her foul temper.
This was really good story. The story of the Rebellion, of two people vastly different coming togeth
Lucy *Qhuay's shellan*
Well, I was a bit disappointed with this book.
But whatever, when you read a book by Nora Roberts you either like it or you think that it is far from your expectations.
Rebellion tells us the story of Serena MacGregor and Brigham Langston.
Serena/Rena is a fiery Scottish lass who, at the age of 8, wacthes as a bunch of English soldiers enter her house and attack her mother. From that moment on, she learns to loathe the English "pigs".
Brigham Langston is English and he is the best friend of Coll Ma
Amy
Dec 31, 2008 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Nora Roberts and historical romances
Recommended to Amy by: My sister, Liz
Regan Walker
Superb Storytelling of the Rising of 1745 and a Love That Would Not be Denied

It begins in 1735 when Serena MacGregor’s home in the Highlands is invaded by British dragoons and her mother is raped by their leader who wants to shame a Highland’s chief’s wife. And that night hatred for the English was born in Serena. Ten years later, in 1745, her brother Coll brings home his friend, Brigham Langston, whose mother might have been a MacDonald but he is English.

Serena means to hate Brigham but ends up
Lynda
Serena MacGregor had a deep burning hatred for the English, developed at eight years old when her father was imprisoned and her mother was raped by the English dragoons. Ten years have passed; eighteen-year-old Serena blossomed to a fiery-tempered Scottish lass able to tackle any man or woman that got in her way. Coll, her older brother returned home to Glenroe with an English earl in tow, Serena’s anger exploded. Brigham Langston, fourth earl of Ashburn saved Coll’s life as they travelled to Gl ...more
BJ Rose
This is a good historical fiction, but falls really flat as a romance. Serena's mindless hatred of all things British goes on for much too long -Brigham was her brother's best friend, which should have counted for something, AND his grandmother was Scottish. My sympathy was all with the hero - I'm not crazy about a romance that goes directly from 'I hate you' to 'I love you' without even a pause for 'I like you'

Duncan Mandel
"Scotland, 1745. Against the bloody background of the Battle of Culloden, another war was waged and won--the price was honor, the victory, love." Scottish beauty Serena MacGregor's hatred of all English began as a child when she watched as a band of Englishmen attacked her mother. Her brother's friend Brigham Langston was no exception to Serena's loathing--despite his supposed loyalty to the Scottish cause... and his good looks. Although Brigham eventually proves himself worthy of the MacGregor ...more
Bronwyn
Jan 11, 2009 Bronwyn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys historical romances
Recommended to Bronwyn by: no one
I have read several books by nora roberts and this is very good a romance set in the time of the culloden uprising of 1745, about a womans hatred of the english, and her love for an englishman loyal to the scottish cause because of his grandmother, and how she learns to overcome her hatred of what he stands for and the love that eventually overcomes the barriers between them
M. A. Levi
Rebellion as a truly amazing book. Filled with true love and romance, hate and vigor. I would give this book a 6 star rating. I fell in love with the whole story, which I believe was beautifully written and wonderfully told. The Characters had alot of passion and they were all about their clan. It kept me reading and wanting to read more about the Mcgregors.
Cecely
The story of the beginning of the McGregor clan is wonderful. It's set in a time of discontent, with history weaving its way through the lives of all the characters. It's a beautiful love story, with revolution, war, politics and loyalty all affecting the lives, loves and decisions of the McGregors.
Tracy Enright
This is the first book in the MacGregor saga set in 18th century Scotland in the days of the Jacobite rebellion. It tells the story of Serena MacGregor and Brigham Langston, how they meet and fall in love.

The book was well written and well plotted with the expected feisty heroine, though it was a little disappointing that, barring a trip to court in Edinburgh, she stayed at home for the entire story. Ultimately, it felt a little formulaic. Serena hates the British for raping her mother, Brigham
Yumru
Bir birleri ile olan kavgaları eğlenceliydi ama kitabın akışı biraz yavan geldi,yani bir şeyler eksikti.Yada çok beklenti ile okudum,bittiğinde bumuydu dedim...
Kate Irwin-smiler
As supporters of Bonnie Prince Charlie gather support from the Highland clans in the mid-eighteenth century, an Englishman loyal to the cause meets the headstrong sister of his close friend. Blah blah blah, love-against-their-better-sense, blah blah, she hates him because he's English, but loves him anyway, blah blah, of COURSE it all works out, somehow. (That's not a spoiler; this is Nora Roberts we're talking about.)

This was a pleasant enough read - it is Nora Roberts. I was annoyed by all the
Melissa Levine
Frances Lockhart
I love historical fiction. I love romance novels. I'm also quite a fan of books by legendary author Nora Roberts. Hence combining the three should have been a sure hit with me. Wrong. I found this book mediocre unfortunately.

Rebellion - book #1 in the MacGregors series by Ms Noberts seemed to drag on. My romance fantasies were interupted by pages and pages of discussion and description of Scottish politics from the eighteenth century - Prince Charles, the Jacobites, the battle of Culloden, blah,
Heather
Amanda
A fiesty woman who isn't afraid to punch, kick, yell, scratch, and yes, bite. I love a heroine with a little attitude! Isn't this what every man in the 1700's wants? I don't care what anyone says, I believe most men, even today's men, are enticed by a challenge, and taming a hell-cat is certainly a task.

The highlands of Scotland is the setting for this historical romance, one filled with desire, hatred, love and war. Bringham Langston, the fourth Earl of Ashburn, is a wealthy Englishman, yet hi
Nicole
Darn you all for encouraging me to dig a little deeper for some of NR's Harlequin romance novels!!! Now I am going to be addicted to this short series...I hope I can get them all from the library.

The MacGregor's are a royal Scottish clan in the mid-1700's who are extremely close, generous, and have had their brush with the English Army. Coll, the oldest of the children, is returning to his family home of Glennroe after being gone for a year and is bringing with him his closest from from his trav
Kathy Davie
First in the MacGregor historically romantic family saga. The couple focus is on Brigham Langston and Serena MacGregor on the eve of the Jacobite uprising of 1745.

My Take
Well, it was a rather mediocre romance with the usual suspects. I'm hoping its purpose was simply to provide a reason for the family's exile and striving to return to their lost estates.

If you've read a few histories and romances about the Jacobite Rebellion, the '45, you know how it goes. Roberts provides a point of view from
Jan
I don't know. There's some good stuff in this book, but I think it all kinda faded away thanks to the eye-rolling.

Even though the heroine had great reasons to be feisty and angry and rebellious and dislike the hero, the feisty heroine has been done too many times to really rock my boat.

And it's not that I didn't see why the two of them fell in love, but the timing of it all kinda threw me off-guard.

I liked the historical setting quite a bit, because the Jacobine uprising is something I know ab
Lance
Another Historical In the Nora Roberts Fashion!

I love the history of the time in Scotland when Bonnie Prince Charles from the house of Stuart attempted to take his rightful place on the throne! This book is English and Scottish History which takes place in the year 1746' I believe! When I finished this book I found to my delight that she has written books about the clan probably in to modern day! Very ready to read her next book!
Kris - My Novelesque Life
2.5 STARS

"Despite the enmity between their two countries, Brigham Langston, a handsome English lord, finds himself drawn to the beautiful Serena MacGregor, a hot-tempered Scottish hoyden, in a historical romance that serves as a prequel to Roberts's best-selling MacGregor series." (From Amazon)

As I could not really get myself to like the series this novel didn't do anything for me.
millie wilson
Not LAST, I HOPE,

This first "Historical" Romance ranks right UP THERE" with the contemporaries on Nora Roberts list of fabulous stories....and I want to read AT LEAST three more.....as "follow ups" to "Rebellion! Come ON, Msg. Roberts....keep ON with Scotland.....AND A
Erica,
Corinne Hatton
Nora Roberts knows how to keep me interested and this book definitely did that for me. I grew up watching Lifetime movies and kept seeing movies that were originally Nora Roberts books so I thought I would give her stuff a try. I am addicted to her books now.
  • A Reckless Beauty (Romney Marsh, #5)
  • Reckless (Regency Trilogy, #2)
  • The Blood of Roses (Highlands, #2)
  • The Darkest Heart
  • Highland Obsession
  • The Mistress (Great Chicago Fire Trilogy, #2)
  • The Highlander (Graham-Lennox #1)
  • Some Enchanted Evening (Lost Princesses, #1)
  • Some Like It Wild (Kincaid Highland, #2)
  • Silent Night  (includes In Death, #7.5)
  • An Independent Woman (Women and Men, #1)
  • Reckless  (Highland Brides, #3)
  • The Raider (Montgomery/Taggert, #4)
  • Never A Lady (Regency #4)
  • The Magic of You (Malory-Anderson Family, #4)
  • All About Passion (Cynster, #7)
  • The Queen's Lady (Graham, #7)
  • The Border Lord's Bride (The Border Chronicles, #2)
aka
Jill March
J.D. Robb
Sarah Hardesty

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, USA. She was the youngest of five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline. During her
More about Nora Roberts...

The MacGregors (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • In From The Cold
  • Playing The Odds (The MacGregors, #1)
  • Tempting Fate (The MacGregors, #2)
  • All The Possibilities (The MacGregors, #3)
  • One Man's Art (The MacGregors, #4)
  • For Now, Forever (The MacGregors, #5)
  • The MacGregor Brides (MacGregors, #6)
  • The Winning Hand (The MacGregors, #7)
  • The MacGregor Grooms (MacGregors, #8)
  • The Perfect Neighbor (The MacGregors, #9)

“There is no disgrace in staying behind, not when it's the right thing.” 7 likes
“She like you.' The fact pleased Malcolm, as if he often trusted the opinions of animals over those of people.” 2 likes