Me on the Map

Me on the Map

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  262 ratings  ·  90 reviews
Illustrated in full color. In this playful introduction to maps and geography, step by simple step, a young girl shows readers herself on a map of her room, her room on the map of her house, her house on the map of her street--all the way to her country on a map of the world. Once the reader is familiar with the maps, she demonstrates how readers can find their own country...more
Published July 13th 1998 by Dragonfly Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Me on the Map, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me on the Map

There's a Map on My Lap! by Tish RabeThe Once Upon a Time Map Book by B.G. HennessyMapping Penny's World by Loreen LeedyFollow That Map! by Scot RitchiePuzzle Island by Paul Adshead
Picture Books About Maps
7th out of 16 books — 8 voters
My First Travel Angelic Airline Adventures by Anna OthitisHow to Make an Apple Pie and See the World by Marjorie PricemanPossum Magic by Mem FoxBee-bim Bop! by Linda Sue ParkA Flower for the Queen by Caroline Vermalle
Read Around the World
69th out of 69 books — 54 voters

More lists with this book...

midnightfaerie
Wonderful book! Very educational and a great social studies lesson! My 5 yr old already knew most of what's in the book, his name, his address, his state, his country, his continent, and the world. But seeing it from another kid's point of view in a book was fun for him. He immediately ran over to our map to find Kansas, which is where the girl in the book lived. My 3 yr old twins loved it, because it was full of maps and reminded them of train tracks. They spent the better part of an hour movin...more
Brittney Daniel
This book falls up under all about me theme for children. It helps the children learn about where they live and how they are important in this huge world. The children learn about social studies concepts such as maps, roads, and countries.
Jess
For younger students. Helps them to understand maps, and the differences between maps. It starts with a child in their room and slowly expands to encompass the neighborhood, the town, the city etc, until you see a picture of Earth. Then it goes backwards to the child back in their room.
Fjóla
Maybe this is a good book for some kindergarteners about our place in the world, maps and how to use them, but my five year old found it too simple to hold his interest. Curiously though, he really liked Follow That Map!, another book which would pair well with Me on the Map but which has quiz like activities to keep you busy while you read through it.
Oh My Bookness
Brittany Perez
#Book Review
Me On The Map
Author: Joan Sweeney
Illustrator: Annette Cable

Date: December 21, 2013

llustrated in full color, Me on The Map takes a approach on explaining maps in a abstract way. In full color and in a playful way, Me on The Map first introduces you to maps and geography, step by simple creatively simple step. How you ask? A young girl shows readers first shows readers a drawn map of her room done in crayon, than her house on the map of the street, all the way to her coun...more
Margie
Sweeney, J. (1998). Me on the map. Decorah, IA: Dragonfly Books.

Citation by: Margie Findley

Type of Reference: Geographical Reference

Call Number: GA130 .S885 1996

Description: An introduction to where children live.

Relevance and Relationship: For around $7.00 this book helps young children begin to learn where they live in relation to the World. It is great interest building and learning activity. A parent on Pinterest even offers a great learning project to assist with visual learners.

Purpose: T...more
Samantha Hagler
This book was short, yet informative. It was about a young girl who wanted to place herself on a map. The girl drew a diagram of her room, her house, and herself near her house. The illustrations were vivid and bright, and would easily keep grade school students engaged and focused. "Just think in rooms, in houses, on streets, in towns, in countries all over the world, everybody has their own special place on the map." This book could be used as an art and math activity to introduce measurements...more
Justine Paige
This is a fantastic simple book that shows different types of maps. It would be a good introduction for students in kindergarten or 1st grade. It starts with the main character in their room, and she draws a map of her room, she then shows a map of her house, her town, the state, the country, and the world, and then it works its way back down. It shows that maps can be of little areas and of large areas.
Rashanda Ravenel
Seeing a map always takes me back to elementary school when I had to cut out the measuring strip on the map to figure out the distance between two places. This is a great book for working on concepts of print. I can ask if students have ever used a map or even know the purpose of maps. Then we can create our own maps of a familiar place to share with the class.
Suz
I like that the book starts with the girl making a map of her bedroom, which is something familiar and personally meaningful - then works outward from that point with other maps until she shows her location on a world map. Then, it narrows back down, reversing the sequence so that it ends with the original map. It's a great way to review what was covered in the book.
Patty
Illustrator: Annette Cable
Age: Elementary
Summary: A little girl discovers where she is on the map.
Applications/Uses: While students are learning about geography and the places they live it is a nice introduction to read this story, then have the students map out where they live in relation to their town, state, country, continent, planet. When doing this activity you can use Bing.com (their maps application) to show the students where they are on the map and move out and back in from their town->...more
Julie Walter
Good book for introducing early elementary geography and mapping concepts.
Amy
I thought this was a great book for kids to read while learning about maps. It gives examples of different kinds of maps, what they look like, and talks about maps' importance in our lives. It really breaks maps down: there is a map of the world, then a map of our country, then the main character's state, her town, her street, and her home. Then she makes a map of her house. I think this should definitely be used in any lesson learning about maps and travel, and then students can make their own...more
Jennifer Kim
This book is a great short but informative book to help students understand the concept of maps. It is a story about a young girl who wants to discover where she is on the map. It starts off with the young girl in her room and then slowly branches out to eventually show the Earth. This book would be a great use in the classroom to help students understand maps and the differences between them. This book could easily be adapted to create an activity for students in which they can draw a map of th...more
Rida
really great for little ones
April Castle
This book is very informational for kids to explain what a location is. This is a great book to use to inform students about maps, globes, and the world. It shows kids how big the world is besides your street. I like how it references the room, to house, to street, to town etc.. It works up then back down again to her bedroom. Great map book and very interesting how it shows the illustrations as if you were looking down over top of it.

Keywords: map, town, street, world, country, location
Elizabeth Mcdonough
The narrator is a young girl. She is drawing a map of places she lives. She starts with her bedroom and then makes the following maps:
Her house
Her Street
Her Town
Her State (Kansas)
Her Country (United States)
Her Continent (North America(
Her World (Earth)

This book is good for Social Studies lessons. You can use the book to teach about maps and teach the class where they live (1st grade standard). The students could construct their own maps of the places they live.
Debbie Mcclure
reread this book in fall of 2010. Simple book about maps ranging from the map of a child's room, to a map of the world. Good concept book to teach the idea of creating a map. Could also be used to teach the different levels of citizenship, i.e. member of a house, live on a street, member of a town, member of a state, member of a region, memeber of a country, member of a continent, member of a world...

Primarily for lower elementary grades of ELL students
Schuerra
This book was great for S.S it taught kids the importance of maps and how to use maps. This book was very child friendly and taught them the difference between maps. Also i feel the book was a great tool in the class room for my younger students as a refernce. The book had colorful pictures and was very relatble to the way a child thinks for example maps of you home or neighbor hood and then the maps expanded so that kids coud grasp the concept of maps.
Amy
This is a great book when teaching students about maps in a geography lesson. After reading the book, they can make a map. It has a cumulative story line starting with a map of the child's room to a map of the world. It has many geography terms in it as well. For example map, street, state, country, town, earth, and etc. It also ties everything together at the end and goes back to the map of the child's room.
TheMcafeeKids
She finds her town. She finds her province and her country in her continent. We live in North America. Canada.

I made a map of my room. I made a map of my house and also my room. A map is looking at my room from above. I made the map with my Mom. It has my bed and my closet, my blanket and my bear.

I forgot to ask my Dad to help me make a map of my city but now I am going to make it now with him.
Rachel Feather
This book is an excellent book for teaching social studies. It uses the expanding environment approach which targets a young child's point of view. It starts with "me" and "my room." As the book continues, it includes the town, mentioning key places that would be of interest to a young child. "Me on the Map" shows children how they each have their own special place in the world.
Teresa
This book shows a girl teaching about maps. She starts with a map of her room, then adds the room to a map of her house, and takes this all the way to a map of the world. Then she shows how to find what you want on a map starting big with the world and then all the way down to the map of her room. The end mentions people all over the world that have a special place on a map.
Theresa
I liked this book because it shows young children that they belong somewhere while teaching them about maps. The narrator starts with the map of her room which leads up to a map of her house then a map of her street, all the way up to the map of the world. Then it goes back from the world to her room. I would recommend this book for the primary level.
Kirei
This is a wonderful book for helping children understand mapping. First it shows the girl's room, then the city, then the state (Kansas), then the country (U.S.A.), then the world map. I don't think the world map is 100% accurate, but I guess it is close enough. I couldn't find New Zealand--it is totally on the other side of the map from Australia!
Paula
Read 9/5/2013 for Energizers Plus (mainly K-2 grades). A very informative, but simple book about one child's place on the map, but everyone can relate to. Colorful illustrations help reinforce the words. To further the information for this week, kids created nesting maps (using 5 different sized cups), activity sheets, and created their own maps.
Phylicia Bohannon
Me on the Map is a great introduction to maps for younger students. It starts out with the girl in her room, it zooms out to her street, city, state, country, and zooms back out in the same order. The book is well organized and teaches students basic geography. I ook interest to this book immediately because of it's organization.
Logan
I liked the idea of this book, showing how you start with a map of your room. Then show your room on a map of your house, then your house on a map of your street and so on. But somehow, I don't think it clicked with Logan. I'm not sure why. He got more out of "As the Crow Flies," probably because that one is about animals.
Lavinia
This book was about a little girl, and she made a map of her room. In her map of her room, her and her teddy are on her bed. She shows us the maps of her country and continent and Earth and her state and her street.

I loved this book, because it was colorful. I liked the dresses on the girls in the picture of the Earth.
Casey
Repetitive and easy to read text that presents a lot of activities to use with a kindergarten(ish) class. Helps kids grasp the concept of space and the world. Opens door to diversity discussion by looking at how small of space we take up and then thinking about the other spaces all around the world.
  • Mapping Penny's World
  • There's a Map on My Lap!: All about Maps
  • How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World
  • Children Just Like Me
  • Walk On!: A Guide for Babies of All Ages
  • My Five Senses Big Book (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • Somewhere in the World Right Now
  • Wangari's Trees of Peace: A True Story from Africa
  • If the World Were a Village: A Book about the World's People
  • What a Wonderful World
  • The Salamander Room
  • The Important Book
  • Something Beautiful
  • Germs Make Me Sick! (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2) (Reading Rainbow Book)
  • The First Dog
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Roman Gladiator! (You Wouldn't Want To)
  • From Seed to Plant
  • Astronaut Handbook
Me and My Amazing Body Me and the Measure of Things Bijou, Bonbon and Beau: The Kittens Who Danced for Degas Me and My Place in Space Me and My Family Tree