Start by marking “Me on the Map” as Want to Read:
Me on the Map

Me on the Map

Illustrated in full color. In this playful introduction to maps and geography, step by simple step, a young girl shows readers herself on a map of her room, her room on the map of her house, her house on the map of her street--all the way to her country on a map of the world. Once the reader is familiar with the maps, she demonstrates how readers can find their own country ...more
Published July 13th 1998 by Dragonfly Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Me on the Map, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me on the Map

Stephanie Calhoun
Feb 18, 2016 Stephanie Calhoun rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I use this book when teaching students about where we live. The students love the illustrations and I love how many activities I can do with this book. This is a great book to use when talking about creating maps.
Sep 18, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Wonderful book! Very educational and a great social studies lesson! My 5 yr old already knew most of what's in the book, his name, his address, his state, his country, his continent, and the world. But seeing it from another kid's point of view in a book was fun for him. He immediately ran over to our map to find Kansas, which is where the girl in the book lived. My 3 yr old twins loved it, because it was full of maps and reminded them of train tracks. They spent the better part of an hour movin ...more
Sep 11, 2009 Jess rated it really liked it
For younger students. Helps them to understand maps, and the differences between maps. It starts with a child in their room and slowly expands to encompass the neighborhood, the town, the city etc, until you see a picture of Earth. Then it goes backwards to the child back in their room.
Brittney Daniel
This book falls up under all about me theme for children. It helps the children learn about where they live and how they are important in this huge world. The children learn about social studies concepts such as maps, roads, and countries.
extraordinary ordinary whimsy
I love this one. It's perfect for discussing your place on the map (earth, state, city, street, home, and bedroom). We also used for inspiration on drawing our first map (bedroom). Later, will use it to draw map of our street, house, and city. I really love the next to last page too. Its children all over the world,..."everybody has their own special place on the map." I want to own this one.
Sep 22, 2016 Maki rated it it was amazing
Starts with her room and goes all the way out to space and then back again. Great for map scale and teaching map skills.
Oh My Bookness
Dec 20, 2013 Oh My Bookness rated it really liked it
Brittany Perez
#Book Review
Me On The Map
Author: Joan Sweeney
Illustrator: Annette Cable

Date: December 21, 2013

llustrated in full color, Me on The Map takes a approach on explaining maps in a abstract way. In full color and in a playful way, Me on The Map first introduces you to maps and geography, step by simple creatively simple step. How you ask? A young girl shows readers first shows readers a drawn map of her room done in crayon, than her house on the map of the street, all the way to her coun
Jieming Jin
Sep 18, 2016 Jieming Jin rated it it was amazing
This is a good book for K-1 students. It teaches students the words about room, street, community, country and earth. It also teaches students the vocabulary about direction and location. There are many great pictures in this book. By using this book, teachers can easily integrate social studies contens into reading class.
Jun 22, 2012 Margie rated it it was amazing
Sweeney, J. (1998). Me on the map. Decorah, IA: Dragonfly Books.

Citation by: Margie Findley

Type of Reference: Geographical Reference

Call Number: GA130 .S885 1996

Description: An introduction to where children live.

Relevance and Relationship: For around $7.00 this book helps young children begin to learn where they live in relation to the World. It is great interest building and learning activity. A parent on Pinterest even offers a great learning project to assist with visual learners.

Purpose: T
Samantha Hagler
Jan 23, 2013 Samantha Hagler rated it really liked it
Shelves: being-yourself
This book was short, yet informative. It was about a young girl who wanted to place herself on a map. The girl drew a diagram of her room, her house, and herself near her house. The illustrations were vivid and bright, and would easily keep grade school students engaged and focused. "Just think in rooms, in houses, on streets, in towns, in countries all over the world, everybody has their own special place on the map." This book could be used as an art and math activity to introduce measurements ...more
Audrie Estrada
May 14, 2015 Audrie Estrada rated it really liked it
Personal Response:
This is a very good book I believe for a social studies lesson! It gives a very clear and good break down of maps and where things are located. They learn a lot about maps, countries, and roads and its fun for children because they can spot where they are or live. Its very interactive so I think that can be very beneficial.

Purpose/Use in the classroom:
-This would be a good independent read so that the children can follow the book at their own pace with all of the interactive op
Aug 22, 2014 Ashley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth-services
Good concept, and once you catch the flow of it, it becomes more fun to read. My problem is with the illustrations. ie: "This is a map of my house. This is my room on the map of my house." But in the illustration, the little girl is drawing the bathroom. If read with an adult, the interaction could be that the child finds the room and points it out. But really, shouldn't that be the illustration's job? Especially if a child is attempting to read the book herself- it could become confusing for a ...more
Jul 02, 2016 Hafsa rated it liked it

A really good book that introduces early readers to maps and the differences between them. The main character; a young girl, shows readers herself on the map of the room then expands this to show herself on the map of the world. The text in the book is easy to read and the illustrations are very appealing. However, I believe that the book would work great better for young readers living in the USA as they can relate to the named States and towns in the book thus comprehend the whole idea of maps
Nell Adams
Jul 16, 2015 Nell Adams rated it really liked it
This is a good informative book for young children. It is about a girl who points out that her room is in her house, which is on her street, that is in her state, which is in her country which is part of the earth. If you look for your country you can find the state you live in and look for your town to find the street you live on where your house will be with your room in it. This was a catchy book. The illustrations are colorful and detailed. A teacher can use this to teach children of the wor ...more
Aug 01, 2010 Patty rated it really liked it
Shelves: reading-record
Illustrator: Annette Cable
Age: Elementary
Summary: A little girl discovers where she is on the map.
Applications/Uses: While students are learning about geography and the places they live it is a nice introduction to read this story, then have the students map out where they live in relation to their town, state, country, continent, planet. When doing this activity you can use (their maps application) to show the students where they are on the map and move out and back in from their town-
April Castle
Mar 31, 2011 April Castle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
This book is very informational for kids to explain what a location is. This is a great book to use to inform students about maps, globes, and the world. It shows kids how big the world is besides your street. I like how it references the room, to house, to street, to town etc.. It works up then back down again to her bedroom. Great map book and very interesting how it shows the illustrations as if you were looking down over top of it.

Keywords: map, town, street, world, country, location
Jennifer Kim
Mar 20, 2013 Jennifer Kim rated it really liked it
This book is a great short but informative book to help students understand the concept of maps. It is a story about a young girl who wants to discover where she is on the map. It starts off with the young girl in her room and then slowly branches out to eventually show the Earth. This book would be a great use in the classroom to help students understand maps and the differences between them. This book could easily be adapted to create an activity for students in which they can draw a map of th ...more
Maybe this is a good book for some kindergarteners about our place in the world, maps and how to use them, but my five year old found it too simple to hold his interest. Curiously though, he really liked Follow That Map!, another book which would pair well with Me on the Map but which has quiz like activities to keep you busy while you read through it.
Mar 30, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a great book for kids to read while learning about maps. It gives examples of different kinds of maps, what they look like, and talks about maps' importance in our lives. It really breaks maps down: there is a map of the world, then a map of our country, then the main character's state, her town, her street, and her home. Then she makes a map of her house. I think this should definitely be used in any lesson learning about maps and travel, and then students can make their own ...more
Elizabeth Mcdonough
The narrator is a young girl. She is drawing a map of places she lives. She starts with her bedroom and then makes the following maps:
Her house
Her Street
Her Town
Her State (Kansas)
Her Country (United States)
Her Continent (North America(
Her World (Earth)

This book is good for Social Studies lessons. You can use the book to teach about maps and teach the class where they live (1st grade standard). The students could construct their own maps of the places they live.
Dec 08, 2010 Schuerra rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-studies
This book was great for S.S it taught kids the importance of maps and how to use maps. This book was very child friendly and taught them the difference between maps. Also i feel the book was a great tool in the class room for my younger students as a refernce. The book had colorful pictures and was very relatble to the way a child thinks for example maps of you home or neighbor hood and then the maps expanded so that kids coud grasp the concept of maps.
Debbie Mcclure
reread this book in fall of 2010. Simple book about maps ranging from the map of a child's room, to a map of the world. Good concept book to teach the idea of creating a map. Could also be used to teach the different levels of citizenship, i.e. member of a house, live on a street, member of a town, member of a state, member of a region, memeber of a country, member of a continent, member of a world...

Primarily for lower elementary grades of ELL students
Feb 02, 2013 TheMcafeeKids rated it it was amazing
She finds her town. She finds her province and her country in her continent. We live in North America. Canada.

I made a map of my room. I made a map of my house and also my room. A map is looking at my room from above. I made the map with my Mom. It has my bed and my closet, my blanket and my bear.

I forgot to ask my Dad to help me make a map of my city but now I am going to make it now with him.
Sep 20, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing
This is a great book when teaching students about maps in a geography lesson. After reading the book, they can make a map. It has a cumulative story line starting with a map of the child's room to a map of the world. It has many geography terms in it as well. For example map, street, state, country, town, earth, and etc. It also ties everything together at the end and goes back to the map of the child's room.
Justine Paige
Aug 03, 2014 Justine Paige rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic simple book that shows different types of maps. It would be a good introduction for students in kindergarten or 1st grade. It starts with the main character in their room, and she draws a map of her room, she then shows a map of her house, her town, the state, the country, and the world, and then it works its way back down. It shows that maps can be of little areas and of large areas.
Rashanda Ravenel
Jul 15, 2014 Rashanda Ravenel rated it really liked it
Seeing a map always takes me back to elementary school when I had to cut out the measuring strip on the map to figure out the distance between two places. This is a great book for working on concepts of print. I can ask if students have ever used a map or even know the purpose of maps. Then we can create our own maps of a familiar place to share with the class.
Apr 07, 2012 Theresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-studies
I liked this book because it shows young children that they belong somewhere while teaching them about maps. The narrator starts with the map of her room which leads up to a map of her house then a map of her street, all the way up to the map of the world. Then it goes back from the world to her room. I would recommend this book for the primary level.
Nov 29, 2010 ABC rated it it was amazing
Shelves: younger-kids
This is a wonderful book for helping children understand mapping. First it shows the girl's room, then the city, then the state (Kansas), then the country (U.S.A.), then the world map. I don't think the world map is 100% accurate, but I guess it is close enough. I couldn't find New Zealand--it is totally on the other side of the map from Australia!
Sep 11, 2010 Teresa rated it it was amazing
This book shows a girl teaching about maps. She starts with a map of her room, then adds the room to a map of her house, and takes this all the way to a map of the world. Then she shows how to find what you want on a map starting big with the world and then all the way down to the map of her room. The end mentions people all over the world that have a special place on a map.
Rachel Feather
This book is an excellent book for teaching social studies. It uses the expanding environment approach which targets a young child's point of view. It starts with "me" and "my room." As the book continues, it includes the town, mentioning key places that would be of interest to a young child. "Me on the Map" shows children how they each have their own special place in the world.
  • Mapping Penny's World
  • As the Crow Flies: A First Book of Maps
  • Follow That Map!: A First Book of Mapping Skills
  • There's a Map on My Lap!: All About Maps
  • Walk On!: A Guide for Babies of All Ages
  • My Map Book
  • How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World
  • Children Just Like Me
  • My Five Senses Big Book (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • Somewhere in the World Right Now