Start by marking “Yellow Flag” as Want to Read:

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  29 reviews
In any race, there are drivers and, at the front of the pack, there are racers. In the final laps, it's the racer who moves his car through the sweet spot, picks off the competition, and drives through a hole to win.

In Kyle's family, his older brother, Kris, has always been the racer, born and bred to it, like his father and grandfather and great-grandfather before him. An
Published September 4th 2007 by HarperTeen (first published September 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Yellow Flag, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yellow Flag

If you like NASCAR and everything that goes with it: Good ol' southern boys drinkin', looking at women like hood ornaments, and living their entire lives in tiny family enclaves, then this is the book for you.

If, however, you are offended by statements like "Oh, the redheaded pit bunny? You can tap that ass; she comes with the car", then I would steer clear.
Joe D
The book Yellow Flag by Robert Lipyste is about a high school student named Kyle, who plays the trumpet but he feels like his family keeps pushing him to follow in their footsteps as a racecar driver. In the story Kyle’s Great Grandpa, Grandpa, and Dad used to race and now his brother does. His brother, kris, got in a bad accident while racing and got a concussion. Kyle is forced to race in Kris’s position and he enjoys it. So he has to decide between his musical life or his racing life.
I thou
The authors purpose of writing this book is to entertain the readers. The author tells the story of a boy who has to make a hard decision to entertain the reader . The readers would be someone who likes NASCAR or other types of racing.

The theme of the book is to follow your dreams and make sure they are your dreams. The author showed this theme by having the main character Kyle choose between playing the trumpet and racing.

The book was written as a description. It is a description because the au
Kyle Hildebrand is a seventeen year old boy who loves racing as much as I do. I enjoyed this book because it relates to me because I'm very into racing. His dream which is the same as any other races. Is to drive for someone else for free. His dream comes true as he works very hard and stays upfront as people notice him more and more until he finally gets asked to drive for someone. He gets very stressed as he runs into problems with his family and issues as to what he want to do in life as he g ...more
I chose this book because the cover looked cool. This book is about a 17-year-old boy named Kyle that is slowly sucked into his family’s business —Hildebrand Racing. While he is an avid trumpet player and would like to pursue music, his whole family wants him to become a driver for their crew. My favorite quote is, “I’ve been forced into my family’s life and obsession.” This is Kyle’s life in a nutshell. He is living someone else’s life, by a script written by his family.The writing style and p ...more
Brandt W
summary- In the book Yellow Flag Kris gets a head injury and he cant race. His younger brother Kyle has to skip band stuff for racing. At first Kyle was only going to fill in for one race but it turned out to be about 3 or 4 races. After a while Kyle started to like racing again and at the end he decided to quit band and go back to racing.

setting- Hildebrand Hill

main characters- Kris- teen, races NASCAR, no girlfriend, Kyle's older brother.
Kyle- teen, races NASCAR, has a girlfriend,likes to pl
I would classifia this book under non-fiction. This book has real sonerios, and events. The main charactors Chris, and Kyle are very well described. CHris has a evil tone, well Kyle has a soft delicet tone.
The plot was great, alot of forshadowing of the middle and end. The end was quite suprising. I didnt think Klye was going to chose the path that he did.
Chris,who is older than Kyle,gets in a horrible accedent well racing his stock car. Klye left racing all together at age 10. With Cris in ou
Jan 21, 2013 Jared rated it 4 of 5 stars

Yellow Flag

Yellow Flag by Robert Lipsyte is about a seventeen year old boy who likes to play the trumpet. He likes to be the quiet one in the family. The rest of his family races cars. His brother Kris is throne that usually races. But he gets hurt, so Kyle has to skip out on some music to help his family win the race.

If I had to compare this book to another book, I would compare it to any other sport book. It has a good flow to it, there not a part that is too boring there is always action
Justin Hill
YELLOW FLAG is one of Robert Lipsyte’s best novels if you are to ask me. It this book is on something all teenagers can identify with making choices. The main character, Kyle is forced to take the role of his brother and race. his brother was injured after a win by over a bitter rival. girl of his dreams, the gig of his life, and between following in his family’s footsteps, and another girl of his dreams. The story continues when Kris doesn’t recover in time to race, so Kyle chooses to race for ...more
Alex W
In Yello Flag, Kyle has to make a choice weather or not he wants to do one thing or the other. His parents are just like him. His dad loves to race and his mom is into music. Kyle ends up helping in his brothers pit crew. Kyle has to talk to sponsors for his brother and Kris really depends on his brother for these moments.

Kyle is a musician for his school, but he is also is apart of his brothers pit crew. His peers all know that he has to do one thing or the other and they are really getting on
Nathan Buckley
Kyle and Kris are opposite people. Kris is a racer like his father, grandfather, and great-grandfather. Kyle is a player in an orchestra. Kyle has everything he ever wants, a place in a band and a girl. But when Kris gets hurt in a race, Kyle must fill the seat of his brother. He meets a girl in racing and he likes her. He must than decide to either race and be with Jimmie (girl) or go back to the band with Nicole.
Brady Pettit
In this book the main character, Kyle Hildebrand is an amazing trumpet player and a little brother to his talented big brother Kris. Kris is a talented racer who gets in a serious wreck and suffers a concussion. He is unable to be behind the wheel. He recruits his brother to keep the seat warm in his car while he can not drive it. His brother places fourth in his race, surprising everyone. He is unable to chose between the race life or the band life.

I liked this book, a lot. It is a very intere
i thought the book that i read was very good. i thought it was good because i like racing and thats what they are doing in this book the whole time. My opinion of this book to me is that they are racing and then theres this one time that the racer went off the track and flipped over and then the car started on fire and the guy was burned and then he had to go to the hospital. There are more things in this book like the racers go to the final race and there was fourty five drivers that were signe ...more
Five stars because a) I'm a total NASCAR mark. b) it's more than a "racing" book.'d be like calling Chris Crutcher "a guy who writes sports books" to write Lipsyte's latest off as simply a "racing book" and deal it just one star. It's about a kid who is torn between the worlds of family obligations/expectations and doing what he thinks is the right thing to do...all the while trying to keep in mind that there's such a thing in the world as constructive selfishness. I'm hoping for a s ...more
Cody Maldonado
When I read Yellow Flag, it kept my attention the whole time. It gave me grand details about characters and their lives. I felt as if I knew them and how they were feeling.
Kyle has to make a decision about what he wants to do with his life. He has to decide if he wants to be like the rest of his family and race, or find away out of that Hildabrand name, like his Uncle Ken. Through the journey he learns alot about his family and himself. And I felt I was with him the entire way to the end.
i like the book alot it my kinda of book. it was about raceing amateur nascar that mad it even better. it was about a family that races and one of there son drove and the other one play in a banda but was still good at race and his brother got in a crash so his dad whant him to take over. if you like raceing you should like this book ill let you read it to finda out the rest
Kris is the racecar driver of the faily and was born to do that. His brother Kyle is a trumpet player in school not really the racer of the family. Kris ends up in a bad accident causeing his to break his leg. Kris had to decide weather he wants to race for his brother until he is better or if he will actually try and become a good racer....
Zach Tuthill
The book is about a guy named Kyle who's family is really into stock car racing. Kyle decided to do music instead of racing when he was younger. Then when Kyle's brother Kris got hurt then Kyle had to "keep his seat warm". Then later on in the book Kyle has to make a decision between racing and playing music.
G-rant Mo
I liked this book alot.It was actioned-packed, and kept me on the edge of my seat. Every chapter was unpredictable. This book was a great read for sports fans. I could almost picture what was going on during the book. I recommend this book to anyone who loves action-packed books!
Kyle is from a racing family and after his brother is injured in a wreck, he has to race again. Now he is torn bwteen his duty to his family, love of racing and love of the band in which he competes at school and his friends.

A pretty good read about how hard decision making can be.
This could have been better -- it was compelling right up until the end, which felt disappointing and rushed. I'd have liked another 50 pages or so.
This was a great book. A racecar driver/ Trumpet player/ Highschooler. Well written
Gucci Bandanna
It's a good book for those who like nascar from back in the day.
Fantastic book! A must read for any person who likes sports.
An action packed book that the boys in your classroom would love.
only enjoyable if you like NASCAR...which I don't.
Jonathan Sexton
It was one of the best books ever.
Alex Tun
Jun 17, 2010 Alex Tun rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: noone
Recommended to Alex by: noone
Kaylee Land
Kaylee Land marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Saturday Night Dirt (Motor, #1)
  • Night Hoops
  • The Real All Americans: The Team That Changed a Game, a People, a Nation
  • Blood Horses: Notes of a Sportswriter's Son
  • Monsoon Summer
  • Surviving Antarctica: Reality TV 2083
  • What Would Joey Do? (Joey Pigza, #3)
  • Cruise Control