Start by marking “Lord Toede (Dragonlance: Villains #5)” as Want to Read:
Lord Toede (Dragonlance: Villains #5)

Lord Toede (Dragonlance: Villains #5)

3.57  ·  Rating Details ·  1,124 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
A Fiendish Bet

In the depths of the Abyss, the domain of Takhisis, two dark powers argue over the nature of true nobility. To see if the ignoble can be made noble, they return one of their evil-hearted agents to life. They choose Fewmaster Toede, former ruler of Flotsam, recently dead from dragon fire.

Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time. . .

The most outrageous vil
Mass Market Paperback, 313 pages
Published July 1st 1994 by TSR Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Lord Toede, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord Toede

Axolotl
Dec 09, 2013 Axolotl rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I remember reading this at 12 or 13 years old and laughing a lot.
I remember thinking while reading it: if Mark Twain had written a (modern) fantasy novel, it would be something like this--at least, stylistically. I adored the little intros which break-down what is going to happen in chapter, it heightened the experience rather than spoiled it, which I found fascinating b/c although you knew what was going to happen you'd know idea HOW it was going to happen. I bought this knowing nothing about
Christopher Tedor
Nov 03, 2013 Christopher Tedor rated it it was amazing
This is the ultimate you either love it or hate it book for Dragonlance fans. Personally I thought Lord Toede was irreverent and hilarious. The entire premise is hysterical - let's take a bit ridiculous character who appears in what like five pages of Dragons of Autumn Twilight and one brief comment from Lord Ariakus in the last book of the trilogy and write an entire novel about him.

To understand the novel Lord Toede one must understand the nature of the Lord Toede himself. An incompetent, self
Ushiri
Sep 10, 2013 Ushiri rated it it was amazing
The background is that 2 gods have a discussion that is about if a hobgoblin can be goodnatured or if they are just plain evil. Lord Toede is the subject of their discussion, and of course fails in his first attempt to be "good"...and he is awakened back to life and dont have a clue why he is still alive.

Extremly interesting writing and have some very funny momements. A very rich book with good adventures for being in a so few pages as 300 something.

The best fantasy book I ever read.
Rachel
Jan 18, 2011 Rachel rated it it was amazing
if i could give this book 10 stars i would. very funny book. one of those from the villain's perspective sort of things. this is from the perspective of a hobgoblin.
Mathew
Dec 29, 2012 Mathew rated it really liked it
Shelves: dragonlance, fantasy
I've read pretty much every Dragonlance novel after first cutting my teeth on Dragons of Autumn Twilight many years ago. Some novels have been very good and some have been pretty bad. However, in the entire Dragonlance universe there has never been a book like Lord Toede, which is based on a minor character from the original Dragonlance Chronicles. It is quite hilarious, I assure you.

Lord Toede begins after the titular character's demise at the hands of a Kender named Kronin Thisleknot, which is
Jim C
Aug 22, 2015 Jim C rated it really liked it
A book that is part of the Dragonlance world. In this one, two creatures that live in the Abyss decide to place a wager whether an evil person can become noble. These two creatures who are basically middle management decide to send someone back to the land of the living and this person is Lord Toede. Lord Toede was a minor villain the original trilogy and now he is tasked to be noble. One does not need to have read the original trilogy for this book.

This book totally surprised me. I am doing a r
Nicholas
May 16, 2013 Nicholas rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
A few people have rated this 1 star. That's okay. Some folks probably expected the same angst-filled tales of wah that you get with the other Dragonlance novels (which doesn't mean they are poor reads necessarily), but that isn't how Mr. Grubb rolls.

Lord Toede isn't the most well-written DL novel, and there may be some setting inaccuracies, but that's part of the charm. It's the tale of the on-going life of a bit character from the more famous novels, a character no one ever thought would show
Jeremy Brown
Jul 10, 2007 Jeremy Brown rated it did not like it
Shelves: mycollection
This book is bad, really really bad. After finishing the novel I couldn't help but think that Lord Toede was one big elaborate joke and not an actually novel. There are so many bad jokes and poor attempts at comedy it was almost completely unbearable. The premise of the novel is silly as well. The thought of Toede dying multiple times to satisfy a wager is ridiculous, not to mention all of the Dragonlance inaccuracies (abishai, gnolls, metal abyss constructs) that are riddled throughout this boo ...more
Jim
Dec 08, 2013 Jim rated it liked it
Another book from the D&D world, and this one was just good enough to not copy and paste my last D&D world book review, like I've done previously.

Jeff Grubb was just a tad bit better in his writing, the plot was a bit less "let's write down a D&D adventure and call it a novel", making this a tad and bit better than the other of these books I've read.

If you're going to read these books, you may as well read this one, you can do worse reading many of the others. And I have.
Joseph Masiello
Apr 16, 2014 Joseph Masiello rated it really liked it
I started out not really liking this book. That was probably because it was not written the same way as the books I'm used to reading. I am glad I stuck with it! This book contains a lot of humor in its dark tones as you see the exploits and plots of "Lord Toede" unfold. This may not be an origin story as you may think an origin is supposed to be. To figure out what I mean you will have to read it for yourself. :)
Mike
May 29, 2009 Mike rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
It is hard to put into words how amazingly hilarious this book is. This is the funniest book I have ever read and I highly recommend it to everyone. Yes the character is a minor character in a huge fantasy series; you do not need to read the other books in the series to appreciate how great this book is.
Wastrel
Aug 30, 2011 Wastrel rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Pulp fantasy fans who want the same old stuff but with a twist and a sense of humour
Not recommended for: people who hate Dragonlance; people who want a seriously well-written book that they will always remember.

My fuller thoughts here
Adrián Lamo
May 18, 2016 Adrián Lamo rated it it was amazing
Probably the funniest Dragonlance universe book I've ever read. Alternatively, a subtly effective admonition against slacking off at the workplace if you work in Hell.
Craig
Jun 30, 2011 Craig rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed very much. Fantastic story with great characters.
Richard Moore
Dec 26, 2011 Richard Moore rated it it was amazing
Wow - I just can't shake the feeling that the people who have rated this one star have no sense of humor. This is one of the funniest fantasy novels I've ever read.
Bradley
Jan 29, 2017 Bradley rated it liked it
Not too bad. Fairly solid read. =)
Halley
Halley rated it it was ok
Aug 09, 2012
Matt
Matt rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2012
David Hackman
David Hackman rated it did not like it
May 24, 2010
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2017
David Sadowsky
David Sadowsky rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2015
Scotty
Scotty rated it it was ok
Mar 16, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2012
Debra Cates
Debra Cates rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2013
Marion Larochelle
Marion Larochelle rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2016
Paulina Russell
Paulina Russell rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2016
Francis
Francis rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2010
Christopher
Christopher rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Sweden Mae
Sweden Mae rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2014
Darren
Darren rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2012
  • Emperor of Ansalon (Dragonlance: Villains, #3)
  • The Black Wing (Dragonlance: Villains, #2)
  • Hederick the Theocrat (Dragonlance: Villains, #4)
  • Before the Mask (Dragonlance: Villains, #1)
  • The Swordsheath Scroll (Dragonlance: Dwarven Nations, #3)
  • Maquesta Kar-Thon (Dragonlance: The Warriors, #2)
  • Legacy of Steel (Dragonlance: Bridges of Time, #2)
  • Heroes and Fools (Dragonlance Tales of the Fifth Age, #2)
  • Spirit of the Wind (Dragonlance: Bridges of Time, #1)
  • The Silver Stair (Dragonlance: Bridges of Time, #3)
  • The Thieves' Guild (Dragonlance: Crossroads, #2)
  • The Citadel (Dragonlance: Classics, #3)
  • The Inheritance (Dragonlance: Classics, #4)

Dragonlance: Villains (6 books)
  • Before the Mask (Dragonlance: Villains, #1)
  • The Black Wing (Dragonlance: Villains, #2)
  • Emperor of Ansalon (Dragonlance: Villains, #3)
  • Hederick the Theocrat (Dragonlance: Villains, #4)
  • The Dark Queen (Dragonlance: Villains, #6)