Dragons of a Lost Star (Dragonlance: The War of Souls, #2)

Dragons of a Lost Star (Dragonlance: The War of Souls #2)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  5,537 ratings  ·  48 reviews
The sequel to the New York Times bestselling Dragons of a Fallen Sun.

As the War of Souls continues, the shield over the elven kingdom of Silvanesti falls. Mina leads her forces triumphantly into that conquered nation, only to face danger from friends and foes alike. Meanwhile, Goldmoon follows the river of the dead, which threatens to engulf them all.

Dragons of a Lost St

Published April 1st 2001 by Wizards of the Coast (first published 2001)

Christina
As stated in my review of the first volume in this series, this is the second time I'm reading this trilogy and I didn't remember much about it, just that I felt rather impressed by the scope of the story.
This volume focuses on the elves of Krynn - Mina is continuing her conquest of Krynn and in pursuit of this, she enters Silvanost and helps young king Gilthas to lower the shield. At the same time, the dragon overlord Beryl decides to attack Qualinest and both elven races are facing more hardsh...more
Simon
What more can I say besides that the adventure continues on with Dragons of a Lost Star?! That's basically what happens here. This second book picks up from the first and never misses a step. As in the first, there are several separate stories being told here. You have the duo of Tas and Palin trying their best to find the dark elf Dalamar and his secret castle, you have the story in Qualinost where Beryl's army is advancing, Silvan with his worries in Silvanesti, Mina and the One God, Goldmoon...more
Jaime
Mina continues to do her best to take over various parts of Krynn. She follows the "One God" - a god who, like in most fantasy, is a very skewed version of the God that monotheistic religions follow.
Because, yes, any god would enjoy having souls stay on the world to "worship" it instead of departing in a final peace. Yup.

Goldmoon plays a role here, being in her youth's body but with her present mind. She follows the ghosts, ignores the tax on her mind and soul, and begins to tilt towards the On...more
Kurtbg
I think I'm still reading this series out of sequence. Oh well.
The story is still interesting and I can follow it. I just kinda spoil it if I ever read the books in proper historical sequence. There's about 4 story lines that get chopped up and spliced together, much like in GRR Martin's Game of Thrones. The story lines are bold in that the world and characters are being pruned like a tree. For the writers I can only assume they knew they were maiming the creative future with these characters. P...more
James
The second of The War of Souls. As everyone tries to find the kender Tasslehoof Burrfoot, the elves and the Knights of Neraka that are stationed there are battling the highlord Beryl and her armies. But thanks to the heroics of Laurana, Queen Mother and The Golden General of the War of the Lance, and Marshal Medan, highest ranking officer of the knights there, manage to kill Beryl. But along with killing Beryl both the heroes and all who stayed with them to help were all killed, including the dw...more
Kati
I'm not really a Dragonlance fan. For me, books are about characters and I don't find most of the characters in this series likable. In this book, it was a bit better, although characters like Silvanoshei really don't help. On the other hand, the story line was great. Some of the parts that were rather mind boggling during the first book and this second one were finally explained, it finally started to make sense. You can't say that Weis and Hickman didn't think their plot twists well through. A...more
Austin Miller
Once again, I want to personally request: NO MORE TASSLEHOFF!! He was a fun character but I have had WAY too much of him. There are plenty of other great characters that I would like to read about. All in all, this is a fantastic book. Margaret Weist and Tracy Hickman do a great job of writing together. The book does a perfect job of keeping the truth veiled, keeping you in suspense, trying to guess and figure out what is tarnation is going on. They add minute details that really add to the envi...more
Edward Walsh
The 2nd book does present an interesting idea, following Mina as the nations 1 by 1 fall to her and her army. Unfortunately this premise feels like it is going in a depressingly familiar patten. Also the story is lacking in any characters that stand out, perhaps this is because with the gods gone each faction seems without purpose but what seemed refreshing with Mina now seems a malaise of characters substandard to the story.
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
The gods of Krynn have gone silent (or left Krynn) and every race must try to fend for themselves. Tasslehoff is again the main character alongside with Mina a champion knight of the One God (later revealed as Takhisis) This was an interesting tale but without the presence of other characters know to me I depart sadly from this world. This were the last three books I read of Dragonlance.
Temoca
I picked this book up at the Dallas airport because of the cover but then I started reading and could not put it down. I then ralized it was part of a trilogy and went out to buy all the books from this trilogy and the other books from these authors.

This trilogy hooked me into the fantasy genre and now I just love reading these magical worlds and chracters.
Teri
Very good book. Alot of new good characters and a few older also good chars. lol..no matter what, even when it is only a passing thought by a char, it is still hard to read of Sturms death. I have read this book twice now, but it is still hard to read about what happens to the elves, Laurana and Gilthas's parting brings tears to my eyes. now on to book 3!
Shannon Appelcline
The characters seem more fully fleshed out in this book, and it again builds out to an exciting climax, but Mina's omnipotence starts to get pretty annoying in this book.
Sara
Another excellent trilogy from the works of Weis and Hickman, following the best band of heroes since Frodo Bagginas and the Fellowship of the Ring. I don't think it's possible to read this series and not get lost in the world of Krynn and the battle for the World's souls.
Kahn
If ever a book needed a good editor, it's this one. Reading like the middle-part of a trilogy, in that all its doing is setting up the final instalment, the book lacks focus and any real depth of character. Finishing it was something of a grudge match.
Benjamin
I read this trilogy before without reading the first book, so now I'm reading it again. I think I'll still stand by my earlier rating. The book has a lot of powerful scenes and characters and it's interesting to see what happens the entire time.
Brian
Finally, a good second installment by Margaret Weis. Instead of simply providing filler for her storyline, she turns and focuses on another group entirely. This kept my interest much better than some of her other #2's.
Neesha
Another terrific installment in the series. The second half of the book was better than the first, and this second book was better too. Looking forward to the conclusion...might have to read it sooner than I planned.
Lauren
These authors really know how to want you wanting more without a lot of frustration. Or, it could be lacking in frustration because these books are already older and I know that the next one is already out.
Marco
I was a little thrown off by some inconsistencies with some previous Dragonlance books, the book is quite enjoyable. I found myself reading in the middle of the night just to see what was going to happen next.
Drew
Mar 26, 2014 Drew added it
S'ok. Really wanted this to be better, but in the absence of better reading material in the house, I started reading this (my nephew brought it with him when he visited, and left it for me to try).
Heather
This series is getting to be way better. Now that we know the identity of the One God, things are going to finally be answered. I just wish some of the better characters had to die in the process.
Cam Theman
one of the first books i fell in love with as a kid.
Matthew Mireles
I'm a fan of all things living in or on the world of Krynn. So maybe I'm biased. I thought the three books of this trilogy were very engaging with good character development.
Aaron
i liked it but there was just so much dying in this one. almost all of the main characters died and i did not like that. but it was still neat and fun like the first.
Adon Coya
No surprises here, a decent story and adequate characters; spread too thin over three volumes, when it should have been only one (or deeper).
Inna
Nick Bernard
Almost up to par with the previous book, but just as good. The character of Mina just gets better and better.
Teréssa
Filled with mystery and questions waiting to be answered. I could not put it down but had a dark twist.
Gabe Heller
Better than the first story wise, still horribly written with lots of cliches and Tolkein copys.
Debra
no real ending left many questions as to the plight of the 2 elven nations that are now homeless
  • Night of Blood (Dragonlance: The Minotaur Wars, #1)
  • Betrayal (Dragonlance: Dhamon Saga, #2)
  • The Crown and the Sword (Dragonlance: Rise of Solamnia, #2)
  • The Clandestine Circle (Dragonlance: Crossroads, #1)
  • Kendermore (Dragonlance: Preludes, #2)
  • Dalamar the Dark (Dragonlance: Classics, #2)
  • Firstborn (Dragonlance:  Elven Nations, #1)
  • The Thieves' Guild (Dragonlance: Crossroads, #2)
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para...more
More about Margaret Weis...
Dragons of Autumn Twilight  (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #1) Dragons of Spring Dawning (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #3) Dragons of Winter Night (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #2) Time of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #1) War of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #2)

“Words can never fully say what we want them to say, for they fumble, stammer, and break the best porcelain. The best one can hope for is to find along the way someone to share the path, content to walk in silence, for the heart communes best when it does not try to speak.” 553 likes