Start by marking “Carnivore Diet: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Carnivore Diet: A Novel

Carnivore Diet: A Novel

Wendy Dunleavy is desperately trying to hold her family together. But with her politician husband in prison for corruption and her son, Dylan, the former child actor, running unsupervised through the orderly avenues of northwest Washington, she may not have enough muscle for the task. And that's before the first sighting of the mysterious chagwa, a famished and unruly mena ...more
Published August 17th 2006 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Carnivore Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carnivore Diet

Youndyc
Oct 07, 2009 Youndyc rated it did not like it
A book that appears to be bizarre for the sake of being bizarre. I should have abandoned it after about 20 pages, but at least it's a short book. In sum, this book did not appeal to me.
Shannon
Jan 23, 2016 Shannon rated it did not like it
I really didn't enjoy this book. I expected, and got, deep character development, commentary on society and family relationships in the contemporary era, and surrealism. But this isn't Murakami. In Murakami's work the surrealism adds a challenge or puzzle that the reader and characters must work through together, and thus in a way knits the protagonist and reader together in a shared task. In Carnivore Diet, the surrealism tears at the fabric of time and narrative and distorts the entire novel i ...more
Rick
Mar 25, 2009 Rick rated it it was amazing
The amount of imagination Slavin has concentrated into this one novel could easily fill thirty novels. I've been longing for someone to combine satire and magical realism like this for years. This book is often really, really funny, and weirdly moving (my favorite kind of "moving") -- and there's something enigmatic going on beneath the surface, a little hard to see because the surface shimmers so ornately. I couldn't put this book down, nor did I want to. I can't believe more people aren't talk ...more
Holly
Aug 13, 2016 Holly rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011-reads
Bought this because of a short story excerpt on Nerve.com (an amusing sex scene). The writing style was not my thing. Like reading an extended Patricia Marx piece in the New Yorker (no, I didn't much like her novel either). Creatures akin to Elizabeth McCracken's Giant's House nor (what the hell was that book?) Rachel Ingalls' Caliban?
Marvin
Aug 05, 2009 Marvin rated it did not like it
Another disappointment, a very strange book about a boy on the verge of puberty & his stressed-out mother who try to survive a series of attacks by a monster (a "chagwa"), while the father/husband, a former congressman, is in prison for corruption for which he claims he was framed. There's very little reward here.
Kilean
Feb 08, 2008 Kilean rated it liked it
There's a bigfoot type creature terrorizing Washington, DC. There's also a child actor, a voice-actor, that's recently been booted from his series due to puberty and his cracking voice. And this is indeed a literary book. Pretty entertaining with some great passages though the ending ran out of fuel for me.
Skye
Jan 15, 2008 Skye rated it really liked it
I love Julia Slavin's use of the absurd, woven so completely into her narrative. However, by the end of the book I was feeling a bit fatigued. She makes the transition from excellent short stories to novel much better than do other short story authors I enjoy, but I think she'll do better in the future.
Brendan
Jun 26, 2007 Brendan rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1st-editions
One of the few books in my life I could not finish. (Constant thought while reading: I have better things to do). Plot and settings were ridiculous. Metaphors were self-absorbed and superficial. Characters weak and disconnected.
Moriah
Apr 18, 2008 Moriah rated it it was ok
Whackjob book. Not sure what drugs were involved in it's creation, but they weren't good and should be banned. 'Nuff said.
Prooost Davis
Oct 17, 2007 Prooost Davis rated it really liked it
A "Washington novel," complete with a marauding monster!
Maltby
Maltby rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Sasha
Sasha added it
May 02, 2016
Jaye
Jaye marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Dylan
Dylan added it
Aug 16, 2015
Lesliekate
Lesliekate marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Renee
Renee added it
Mar 02, 2015
Brigette
Brigette rated it did not like it
Nov 13, 2014
Lindsey Hill
Lindsey Hill rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2014
Msmuscio
Msmuscio marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
GDG
GDG rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2014
Jennyisaacs
Jennyisaacs marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Janina
Janina rated it did not like it
Apr 11, 2014
Kim Lane
Kim Lane rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2014
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2013
Brian Paul
Brian Paul rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2013
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2013
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Julia Slavin's stories have won a Pushcart Prize and GQ's coveted Frederick Exley Fiction Competition. She worked for a decade as an ABC-TV producer in New York before moving to Washington, D.C., where she lives with her husband. She is currently at work on a novel.
More about Julia Slavin...