Start by marking “Never Talk to Strangers” as Want to Read:
Never Talk to Strangers

Never Talk to Strangers

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  166 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
If you are hanging from a trapeze
And up sneaks a camel with bony knees,
Remember this rule, if you please—
Never talk to strangers.

This book brilliantly highlights situations that children will find themselves in—whether they’re at home and the doorbell rings, or playing in the park, or mailing a letter on their street—and tells them what to do if a stranger (always portraye
Published January 13th 2009 by Golden Books (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Never Talk to Strangers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Talk to Strangers

Becky
Jan 20, 2009 Becky rated it did not like it
This is one strange book. At first I kept saying to myself, "they published this, really?" Then I read that it was a 'classic' golden book from the 1960s--1967 to be more exact. That clarified it a little bit for me. I can see at least one use for Never Talk To Strangers: to present to a classroom of college students as an example of didactic literature. What does the book offer to readers? Let's see. Rhymes mostly on the silly side. Nostalgic-looking illustrations with an odd flavor that can on ...more
Emily
Feb 28, 2009 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-lit
This was one of my favorite books as a child. I still actually have my worn well loved copy, it lives on my daughters bookshelf now. I think I enjoyed this book so much because of the art work and the funny yet serious story line. The book teaches kids about not talking to strangers and uses animals in funny situations to tell the story.
A.F.T.
Aug 21, 2008 A.F.T. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like this because it seemed like it was trying to convert all children into silent hermits. They weren't allowed to talk to ANYONE, except maybe their teacher's friends... which seems like a REALLY bad idea to me.
Nashiea Edmiston
Although this book is very dated, it has certain features that newer books about stranger danger just don't quite cover. I really appreciated that it illustrated the differences between a "safe stranger" and an "unsafe stranger." I also feel that the use of rhyme was very clever since this book targets preschool-early elementary students who respond really well to rhyme. I would not use this book alone but would incorporate this book into a unit about stranger danger where perhaps the D.A.R.E. o ...more
Melanie
Apr 01, 2009 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I grew up reading this book. I love the funny animal characters that lighten the burden of teaching kids about strangers.
Angela Ahrendt
Never Talk to Strangers is a great book to introduce or build on the concept of personal safety in a fun and funny way for younger children. It highlights different situations that students may find themselves in, and uses animals and funny rhymes to illustrate the importance of being safe by not talking to strangers. It also shows examples of a safe stranger (someone you parent introduces to you that they know), and an unsafe stranger (someone that no one knows that you meet). This is a great b ...more
Cheryl
Wonderful illustrations and a cute message of when it is not ok and when it is ok to talk to strangers.
Gina Erb
Oct 18, 2015 Gina Erb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never Talk to Strangers teaches young children that they should be careful who they talk to and never talk to somebody that they don't know, unless they are introduced to them through their parents or friends. This is a great book for children from the ages of three to kindergarten. The rhyming withing the book makes it a fun book to read aloud.
Kelly Workman
This book teaches the important lesson of not talking to strangers in a way that is silly for young children. It also teaches the difference between people who your friends and family introduce you to, and people who truly are strangers. This book is a great book complete with colorful illustrations, and I will always keep this book in the back of my mind for teaching, parenting, and nannying purposes.
Mary Tauzier
Sep 12, 2015 Mary Tauzier rated it it was amazing
My children loved this book. They are adults now and still think it is a great read. I love the way it rhymes...and teaches children to...'not talk to strangers'. The rhyming makes for easy reading by very young children. And added touch is teaching a sense of humor.
Cindy
May 16, 2014 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Teaching a good lesson to children, but I felt like the book was forcibly saying "DON'T TALK TO STRANGERS" down you're throat...I got it the first 4 pgs.
Because right? when will you ever encounter any of these animals walking down the street.
Lindsay Beckman
Nov 14, 2015 Lindsay Beckman rated it liked it
Shelves: e, fiction
A childhood favorite of mine, though now I don't feel that "stranger danger" is as important as how to deal with danger from people you know...
Kelly
Jan 27, 2015 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
One of my favorites as a child. I use this book to talk about "stranger danger" even cyber strangers
Vidushi Chaudhry
Jul 21, 2015 Vidushi Chaudhry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting, safety
Funny! Non-scary and memorable! A good beginning to learning about stranger safety!
Nydia Munoz
Jan 30, 2013 Nydia Munoz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: safety
This book teaches children the importance of only talking to people that they know. The children also get different scenarios that they can be exposed to and the also show how the children should go about the situation. The children also learn how to act when they are introduced to someone new. They learn to be polite and friendly only to those people that they know their name.

Learning Extension: Let children practice with one another how to introduce themselves properly and also how and what to
Aprils
Jun 11, 2015 Aprils rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought the animals' eyes were creepy, especially the Easter Bunny.
Candis
Jun 30, 2013 Candis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is an old (1967) book reprinted verbatim for contemporary (2000) children. Read it with the kids: the eldest thought it was just silly, the middle liked the repeating bold lines ("never talk to strangers."), and the wee liked the timbre of the rhymes. What they came away with? Don't talk to ginormous wild animals that lurk when you go about your day to day, unless your dad knows them. Hm. Kind of defeats the purpose. As a general story, this is weak; as a life lesson text, this is the pits.
Cornelius
Dec 05, 2010 Cornelius rated it really liked it
For kindergarten children, this is an excellent book to read to teach children about who and not to talk too. I would use this book in the classroom to as a read aloud to discuss with children different situations that they may encounter a stranger and what to do. The book is filled with colors and shapes to inform children in a kid way that strangers come in all shapes, colors, and forms.
Kristina Bulluck
I think that this book would be good for younger children becaause it teaches them to not talk to someone that they do not know. The ryhmes were a little silly but it could just help to lighten the situation.

LE: We would talk about how to introduce yourself to someone that you are meeting for the first time.
Cassi Dick
Apr 29, 2013 Cassi Dick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book because it teaches children all the scenarios they could fint themselves in with strangers. This would be a good book to read to students more than once to make sure they understand the importance of not talking to strangers. I would read ages 5-9.
Kate
Sep 29, 2011 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture
Not only was this my favorite book to have my mother read to me, but my favorite past time was to talk to all the strangers on our block. After babbling with strangers I would repeat, "never talk to strangers!" as a warning before going on my merry way.
Tricia
Mixed feelings on this book that makes light rhymes about stranger danger. Not so much written as a message as a rhyming playful ditty about a serious topic of life or death. Am I being too dramatic? Sigh!
Holliann
Mar 20, 2008 Holliann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I loved this book as a child, but now with my own children it is funny to see how they react to it. They think that every animal at Sea World is a stranger, not the guy that they don't know. It is funny!
Ashley
Oct 07, 2011 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Blast from the past! I had this book when I was a kid... I'm going to try to find it for my kids. Good way to deliver that "stranger danger" message.
Danielle
Aug 24, 2010 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Apparently there was a TV special based on this book, but I don't remember it. I remember the book, though, and it holds up surprisingly well, decades later.
Renee
Nov 30, 2011 Renee rated it it was amazing
My father used to read me this book. I've kept it all these years, and share it with my boys now. They love it as much as I did.
Polly
Aug 26, 2010 Polly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Still as creepy as I remembered. I think I successfully scared my son out of running away from me at Target.
Shannan
Sep 07, 2010 Shannan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Close to the edition that I had but not exactly. It was the illustrations that pulled me in again and again.
Ainsley
Dec 14, 2009 Ainsley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
this book is very weird because the people don't talk to strangers but they are actually animals.
Karlie
Feb 05, 2009 Karlie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book taught me soooo much. I still, to this day, look back on this for advice.
  • The Book that Jack Wrote
  • The Cloud Book
  • Under, Over, by the Clover
  • My Uncle Emily
  • The New Adventures of Curious George
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell!
  • The Digging-est Dog (Beginner Books)
  • The Class from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #10)
  • The Halloween Play
  • No Excuses!: How What You Say Can Get In Your Way
  • Popcorn
  • Wild Animals (Touch and Feel)