Start by marking “Never Talk to Strangers” as Want to Read:
Never Talk to Strangers

Never Talk to Strangers

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  29 reviews
If you are hanging from a trapeze
And up sneaks a camel with bony knees,
Remember this rule, if you please—
Never talk to strangers.

This book brilliantly highlights situations that children will find themselves in—whether they’re at home and the doorbell rings, or playing in the park, or mailing a letter on their street—and tells them what to do if a stranger (always portraye
Published January 13th 2009 by Golden Books (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Never Talk to Strangers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Talk to Strangers

Becky
This is one strange book. At first I kept saying to myself, "they published this, really?" Then I read that it was a 'classic' golden book from the 1960s--1967 to be more exact. That clarified it a little bit for me. I can see at least one use for Never Talk To Strangers: to present to a classroom of college students as an example of didactic literature. What does the book offer to readers? Let's see. Rhymes mostly on the silly side. Nostalgic-looking illustrations with an odd flavor that can on ...more
Emily
This was one of my favorite books as a child. I still actually have my worn well loved copy, it lives on my daughters bookshelf now. I think I enjoyed this book so much because of the art work and the funny yet serious story line. The book teaches kids about not talking to strangers and uses animals in funny situations to tell the story.
A.F.T.
I didn't like this because it seemed like it was trying to convert all children into silent hermits. They weren't allowed to talk to ANYONE, except maybe their teacher's friends... which seems like a REALLY bad idea to me.
Melanie
I grew up reading this book. I love the funny animal characters that lighten the burden of teaching kids about strangers.
Cheryl
Wonderful illustrations and a cute message of when it is not ok and when it is ok to talk to strangers.
Kelly Workman
This book teaches the important lesson of not talking to strangers in a way that is silly for young children. It also teaches the difference between people who your friends and family introduce you to, and people who truly are strangers. This book is a great book complete with colorful illustrations, and I will always keep this book in the back of my mind for teaching, parenting, and nannying purposes.
Oblongata
Teaching a good lesson to children, but I felt like the book was forcibly saying "DON'T TALK TO STRANGERS" down you're throat...I got it the first 4 pgs.
Because right? when will you ever encounter any of these animals walking down the street.
Kelly
One of my favorites as a child. I use this book to talk about "stranger danger" even cyber strangers
Nydia Munoz
This book teaches children the importance of only talking to people that they know. The children also get different scenarios that they can be exposed to and the also show how the children should go about the situation. The children also learn how to act when they are introduced to someone new. They learn to be polite and friendly only to those people that they know their name.

Learning Extension: Let children practice with one another how to introduce themselves properly and also how and what to
Candis
This is an old (1967) book reprinted verbatim for contemporary (2000) children. Read it with the kids: the eldest thought it was just silly, the middle liked the repeating bold lines ("never talk to strangers."), and the wee liked the timbre of the rhymes. What they came away with? Don't talk to ginormous wild animals that lurk when you go about your day to day, unless your dad knows them. Hm. Kind of defeats the purpose. As a general story, this is weak; as a life lesson text, this is the pits.
Cornelius
For kindergarten children, this is an excellent book to read to teach children about who and not to talk too. I would use this book in the classroom to as a read aloud to discuss with children different situations that they may encounter a stranger and what to do. The book is filled with colors and shapes to inform children in a kid way that strangers come in all shapes, colors, and forms.
Kristina Bulluck
I think that this book would be good for younger children becaause it teaches them to not talk to someone that they do not know. The ryhmes were a little silly but it could just help to lighten the situation.

LE: We would talk about how to introduce yourself to someone that you are meeting for the first time.
Cassi Dick
I love this book because it teaches children all the scenarios they could fint themselves in with strangers. This would be a good book to read to students more than once to make sure they understand the importance of not talking to strangers. I would read ages 5-9.
Kate
Not only was this my favorite book to have my mother read to me, but my favorite past time was to talk to all the strangers on our block. After babbling with strangers I would repeat, "never talk to strangers!" as a warning before going on my merry way.
Tricia
Mixed feelings on this book that makes light rhymes about stranger danger. Not so much written as a message as a rhyming playful ditty about a serious topic of life or death. Am I being too dramatic? Sigh!
Holliann
I loved this book as a child, but now with my own children it is funny to see how they react to it. They think that every animal at Sea World is a stranger, not the guy that they don't know. It is funny!
Ashley
Blast from the past! I had this book when I was a kid... I'm going to try to find it for my kids. Good way to deliver that "stranger danger" message.
Danielle
Apparently there was a TV special based on this book, but I don't remember it. I remember the book, though, and it holds up surprisingly well, decades later.
Renee
My father used to read me this book. I've kept it all these years, and share it with my boys now. They love it as much as I did.
Polly
Still as creepy as I remembered. I think I successfully scared my son out of running away from me at Target.
Shannan
Close to the edition that I had but not exactly. It was the illustrations that pulled me in again and again.
Ainsley
this book is very weird because the people don't talk to strangers but they are actually animals.
Karlie
This book taught me soooo much. I still, to this day, look back on this for advice.
Sophie Thompson
This is pretty self explanatory. It teaches the importance of never talking to strangers.
Sierra
Yes it is my FAVORITE! Except for not when Mikayla reads it to me over the phone :P
Shallowreader VaVeros
An old childhood fave - my kids loved this one too yet it is quite dated.
Shelly Lindsey
Great for teaching about strangers with a twist of imagination.
Princess
IT was waaaayyy amazing! It is Sierra's FAVORITE book!!!
Tara
Nice little rhyming story about stranger danger
Isra'A Abu-Saleh
Isra'A Abu-Saleh marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
  • Gus Was A Friendly Ghost
  • What Moms Can't Do
  • The M&M's Brand Chocolate Candies Counting Book
  • Buzz Said the Bee (Hello Reader, Level 1) (Hello Reader)
  • Noni The Pony
  • But No Elephants
  • Moongame
  • Feelings
  • My Uncle Emily
  • Frog And Toad Book Set: Frog And Toad Are Friends; Frog And Toad Together; Days With Frog And Toad; Frog And Toad All Year  (Frog and Toad #1-4)
  • I Love You So...
  • Hurricane
  • Five Minutes' Peace
How Can We Get to the Zoo Have You Seen a Giraffe Hat? Have You Seen a Giraffe Hat? How can we get to the zoo? (A Tell-a-tale book) How Can We Get to the Zoo?