We Love Glenda So Much and A Change of Light

We Love Glenda So Much and A Change of Light

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Published April 12th 1984 by Vintage

To ask other readers questions about We Love Glenda So Much and A Change of Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Love Glenda So Much and A Change of Light

oriana
I read this sl-o-o-o-o-o-o-w, partially to savor it, but partially because reading Cortàzar can be so fucking hard.

Since this is actually two short story collections put together, it's a really mixed bag. But it's very Cortàzar, by which I mean very extreme: the beautiful stories make you ache, the obtuse / didactic ones are nearly unreadable (by someone who's not a super-genius), the creepy / surreal ones are supremely chilling, the sad ones are devastating.

So this is a decent collection to s...more
Jim
Reading Cortazar is like walking through an eclectic art museum, perusing the various paintings, each revealing a moment in time captured in oil, often eye-catching and inspiring, but not always, revealing only some of the story the rest of which you have to glean from the image, the narrative missing or hidden immediately to the eye unless one knows the backstory or the allusions presented, occasionally intellectual but often heartfelt, each stroke another layer. . .well, you get the picture. S...more
Stas
I read the first story, "Orientation of Cats", right after reading three early stories by Brian Aldiss. Aldiss constructs enchantments which make you feel trapped in their world, an effect achieved by abruptness of their endings. Cortazar's effect, at least in this first story is rather to drag you through something, or to wash through you, so that you re-emerge from the experience as with a halo, an after-image, but you do emerge. The curious thing is that Cortazar is more fabulistic, more prec...more
Pamela
Nov 11, 2008 Pamela rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
I love this collection, which is somewhat uneven, but splattered with extraordinary works such as "Orientation of Cats," and "A Change of Light." I came across this collection on the bargain table at Brentano's bookstore when I was 14. I had no idea what I was forming in myself, a love of surrealism and the movements of the South American, mid-century geniuses.
Cecilia Gonzalez
the way Cortazar plays with words is never ending!
Hannah
It sticks with you.
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Richard Smiley
Richard Smiley is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2014
Evelyn
Evelyn added it
Jun 21, 2014
Tsotne Nadaraia
Tsotne Nadaraia marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Greg N
Greg N marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Glenda Robert
Glenda Robert marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Readgoods
Readgoods marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Paul Harris
Paul Harris marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Maria Sousa
Maria Sousa marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Anka Gujabidze
Anka Gujabidze marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Julio Cortázar, born Julio Florencio Cortázar Descotte, was an Argentine author of novels and short stories. He influenced an entire generation of Latin American writers from Mexico to Argentina, and most of his best-known work was written in France, where he established himself in 1951.
More about Julio Cortázar...
Hopscotch Bestiario Cronopios and Famas Blow-Up and Other Stories Todos los fuegos el fuego