Nefer the Silent (Stone of Light, #1)

Nefer the Silent (La pierre de lumière #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  759 ratings  ·  23 reviews
They built a civilization ahead of its time, and dominated the ancient world.

They defined an era of war, love, passion, power, and betrayal.

They were a people of mystery whose secrets have turned to dust -- but who inspire our awe and wonder even to this day....

The ancient Egyptians
They showed us how to live. And how to die.

Christian Jacq, author of the international trium

Audio Cassette, Abridged, 0 pages
Published July 1st 2004 by Audioworks (first published January 1st 2000)

Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle MoranNefertiti by Michelle MoranThe Heretic Queen by Michelle MoranFlow Down Like Silver by Ki LongfellowThe Egyptian by Mika Waltari
Novels Set in Ancient Egypt
44th out of 109 books — 219 voters
The Egyptian by Mika WaltariFlow Down Like Silver by Ki LongfellowNefertiti by Michelle MoranRiver God by Wilbur SmithThe Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran
Best Egyptian Historical Fiction
61st out of 123 books — 213 voters

More lists with this book...

Mohamed Osman
من أين نبدأ الحديث و القلب حزين !؟

قامت علي أرضنا حضارة لا ينكر عظمتها أو قيمتها إلا حاقد أو جاحد ، لكننا لآسف لم نهتم بهذه الحضارة إلا إذا تمكننا من العثور علي أي شئ ينتسب لها يمكن بيعه ويعود إلينا بأرباح سريعة تناسب ثقافتنا ونشأتنا ، فأنك إذا أردت أن تبحث عن أكثر رجل مصري اشتهر عالميا و ارتبط اسمه بالحضارة الفرعونية ولا يكاد يخلو أي فيلم وثائقي صور في مصر عن الفراعنة من وجوده هو وقبعته الشهيرة التي تحاكي انديانا جونز ليس سوي لص آثار محترم و جاهل بكثير من التاريخ الفرعوني لكنه أجاد عرض و تسويق ن...more
J. Else
A solid step up from his other book series I read. His characters are more deeply motivated. The landscape feels very authentic (as did his other, but I feel more historically indulged in this book). I just wanted to sit and read this book all day and night!

Surprisingly, one of the main characters is really hard to get behind, Paneb, but you see development here and there with him. Jacq has the talent to somehow get you interested in him though. He is quick to anger, he does not show appreciate...more
Carolin
Ein historischer Mystery-Roman: Die Geschichte des Schweigsamen und des Feurigen, zweier Charaktere, die unterschiedlicher nicht sein könnten, die aber auch durch eine Fügung des Schicksals eine tiefe Feundschaft verbindet, wird in diesem Buch erzählt. Sie leben im alten Ägypten zu den Zeiten Ramses', doch nicht das ganze Land ist den beiden und der Heimat ihrer Herzen, der Stätte der Wahrheit, freundlich gesinnt. Ein Netz von Intrigen sorgt für die nötige Spannung!
Aber genau von ihr hätte ich m...more
Whitelady3
Mar 11, 2011 Whitelady3 rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Whitelady3 by: slayra
Shelves: not-own, portuguese, 2011
Conheço este autor desde que conheço a Slayra, o que já vai para algum tempo (O.o), pois é um dos seus autores preferidos e escreve sobre um dos seus períodos históricos de eleição. Eu tenho de dizer que o Antigo Egipto nunca foi bem o meu género. Ok, reconheço-lhes o génio construtivo, a religião também é das coisas mais fascinantes (mas eu adoro esse tema) que têm, também acho interessante toda aquela superstição no que toca ao Tutankhamon e outros túmulos do Vale dos Reis e das Rainhas, mas n...more
Shuré-Nachelle
Like the "Ramses: The Son of Light" saga, it takes place in the ancient Egypt era. The first book in this trilogy correlates with the last book of the "Ramses" saga. Even though it was a bit "dumbed down" for myself, the main characters were more emotionally complex and more in depth. Onto the second book of the trilogy!
☯Bettie☯
It was Christian Jacq who introduced me to historical fiction, mostly I employed a 'just the facts, marm' approach. Yet here was an Egyptologist plucking sequences off the walls of tombs and spinning out a tale that would make these characters come to life for us moderns. Fantastic concept.

However since then we have others who do the same job so much better. A soft spot I retain, yet in the light of honest feedback I cannot recommend The Stone of Light series.

Opening: Around midnight, in the lig...more
Carobe
Konungarnas dal.
Hypatia
Read this ages ago in French, now finally re-reading it (and soon the rest of the series) in English. I honestly don't think it's a great translation - it seems like it's a lot of short simple sentences, which I don't remember finding in French. But maybe that says more about my French skills than the translation. Still interesting, despite the detestability of many of the characters. I'm hoping the rest of the series is better on that score.
Neetha Philip
This is the first books of the last series that i read by Christian Jacq. While I drank in every detail that reflected ancient egyptian history in the other books by jacq, this book really made me think about more than just history. The story itself emphasises hard work,honesty and determination. Values that I have realised Jacq includes in most of his books. One cant help falling in love with Jacq's characters.
C.M.T. Stibbe
I was hoping this book would be a little more substantial. I enjoyed it but I can't say it left that residue of 'WOW' that so many other books do. Jacq is a great writer, popular with both European and American audiences which is why I picked it up. I haven't tried his other books yet but hope to after my list of 'want to read' books decreases.
Rita Viegas
Adorei! Este livro fez-me começar a ter um fascínio pela cultura egipcia que eu nunca pensei poder ter! A única razão pela qual não atribui um 5 ao livro foi devido à escrita. Suspeito que a escrita simplista se deve à tradução porque pelos conteúdos parece-me impossível um escritor que cria um mundo e personagens tão genuinas e elaboradas ter uma escrita tão "simplista".
Rendier
Couldn't finish it - abandoned it halfway through. The story and characters feels like it was dreamt up by a 6 year old, and it never felt like a serious attempt by a serious author. I'm supposed to swallow this crap!?
Christine Van Heertum
aucune surprise dans ce 1er numéros de 4 tomes. J'ai l'impression que cette histoire reprend +/- les mêmes personnages "typés" que dans les autres séries.
Se lit cependant très facilement.
Constance Lapsati
Ό, τι έχει σχέση με την αγαπημένη Αίγυπτο και την αρχαιολογία της είναι καλοδεχούμενο.
Άλλο ένα ιστορικό μυθιστόρημα που με ταξίδεψε για τα καλά !
Sandra Azevedo
Adorei!! Excelente investigação ... forma de escrita... realmente o autor escreve de uma forma que fica na memória! :)
Tib Sou
Une écriture à la truelle pour la ménagère qui a de l'espace de cerveau disponible.
Maggie
really enjoyed this series about the artisans who created the tombs of the pharaohs
Jasmine
It was okay, not as good as the Ramses series. Not sure I will read the rest!
Mona
كنتي ممكن تاخدي أربع أو خمس نجوم
بس علشان نهايتك دي هما ثلاثة بس :@
Karinirmgard
Die weise Frau
Paneb der Feurige
Die Stätte der Wahrheit
Karen
The introduction to an interesting series on ancient Egypt
Cheryl
Need to re-read before I can comment further
dara
I always love something about Egypt
Patri
Patri added it
Jul 27, 2014
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Maura Mawn
Maura Mawn marked it as to-read
Väder  de Viento
Väder de Viento marked it as to-read
  • The Twelfth Transforming
  • Cleopatra's Heir
  • The Right Hand of Amon (Lieutenant Bak, #1)
  • Throne of Isis
  • Incas: The Puma's Shadow (Incas, #1)
  • Servant of the Gods
  • Reflections in the Nile (Time Travel, #1)
  • Murder in the Place of Anubis (Lord Meren, #1)
  • Pharaoh (Kleopatra, #2)
  • Tutankhamun (Rai Rahotep, #2)
  • Sunrise on the Mediterranean (Time Travel, #3)
  • Warlock: A Novel of Ancient Egypt (Ancient Egypt, #3)
  • The Keys of Egypt: The Race to Crack the Hieroglyph Code
  • The Slayers of Seth (Amerotke, #4)
Christian Jacq is a French author and Egyptologist. He has written several novels about ancient Egypt, notably a five book suite about pharaoh Ramses II, a character whom Jacq admires greatly.

Jacq's interest in Egyptology began when he was thirteen, and read History of Ancient Egyptian Civilization by Jacques Pirenne. This inspired him to write his first novel. He first visited Egypt when he was s...more
More about Christian Jacq...
Ramses: The Son of Light  (Ramses, #1) Ramses: The Battle of Kadesh (Ramses, #3) Ramses: The Lady of Abu Simbel (Ramses, #4) Ramses: The Eternal Temple (Ramses, #2) Ramses: Under the Western Acacia (Ramses, #5)