Start by marking “Nefer the Silent (Stone of Light, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nefer the Silent (Stone of Light, #1)

Nefer the Silent (La pierre de lumière #1)

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  1,182 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
They built a civilization ahead of its time, and dominated the ancient world.

They defined an era of war, love, passion, power, and betrayal.

They were a people of mystery whose secrets have turned to dust -- but who inspire our awe and wonder even to this day....

The ancient Egyptians
They showed us how to live. And how to die.

Christian Jacq, author of the international trium

Audio Cassette, Abridged, 0 pages
Published July 1st 2004 by Audioworks (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Nefer the Silent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nefer the Silent

Bettie☯
It was Christian Jacq who introduced me to historical fiction, mostly I employed a 'just the facts, marm' approach. Yet here was an Egyptologist plucking sequences off the walls of tombs and spinning out a tale that would make these characters come to life for us moderns. Fantastic concept.

However since then we have others who do the same job so much better. A soft spot I retain, yet in the light of honest feedback I cannot recommend The Stone of Light series.

Opening: Around midnight, in the lig
Kübra Yağmur
Apr 11, 2017 Kübra Yağmur rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Böyle kitaplar bana yaramıyor ama okumaktan da kendimi alamıyorum. :(
Çocukluğumun en büyük hayallerinden biri arkeolog olup Mısır'a gitmek, o kumtepelerinin arasında yükselen ve sırları yüzyıllardır keşfedilememiş olan piramitleri gezmek, keşfetmekti. Elbette zaman geçti, hayaller yön değiştirdi ancak Mısır'a gitme hayalim hiç değişmedi. Bir gün tüm piramitleri gezmek umuduyla diyorum ve kitaba geçiyorum.

I. Seti zamanında firavunların, Krallar Vadisi'ndeki ebedi istirahatgâhlarını hazırlamak üze
Julie
Feb 28, 2017 Julie rated it really liked it
Christian Jacq evokes a fascinating period in Ancient Egyptian history. As a child I loved reading about the achievements of this civilisation. Christian Jacq goes one step further however, initiating us into the minutiae of everyday life. If you love history or Egypt then you'll love this book. Wonderful setting, superb characters and a real flavour of the time.
Thomas
Feb 12, 2017 Thomas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Βιβλίο θητείας #1
Readathon 2017 [1/13]: Ένα βιβλίο μιας σειράς τεσσάρων ή περισσοτέρων βιβλίων.

Γνώριμος με τη δουλειά του Jacq και ως λάτρης του αρχαίου αιγυπτιακού πολιτισμού έπεσα στο βιβλίο με μεγάλο ενθουσιασμό. Το ότι ο συγγραφέας είναι κάτοχος διδακτορικού στην αιγυπτιολογία είναι πασιφανές και το βιβλίο εξυπηρετεί καλά το σκοπό του ως ιστορικό μυθιστόρημα, απεικονίζοντας -βασιζόμενο σε αληθινά γεγονότα- τον τρόπο ζωής, τα ήθη και έθιμα καθώς και την κοινωνική διάρθρωση ενός ξεχωριστού κομ
Mohamed Osman
من أين نبدأ الحديث و القلب حزين !؟

قامت علي أرضنا حضارة لا ينكر عظمتها أو قيمتها إلا حاقد أو جاحد ، لكننا لآسف لم نهتم بهذه الحضارة إلا إذا تمكننا من العثور علي أي شئ ينتسب لها يمكن بيعه ويعود إلينا بأرباح سريعة تناسب ثقافتنا ونشأتنا ، فأنك إذا أردت أن تبحث عن أكثر رجل مصري اشتهر عالميا و ارتبط اسمه بالحضارة الفرعونية ولا يكاد يخلو أي فيلم وثائقي صور في مصر عن الفراعنة من وجوده هو وقبعته الشهيرة التي تحاكي انديانا جونز ليس سوي لص آثار محترم و جاهل بكثير من التاريخ الفرعوني لكنه أجاد عرض و تسويق ن
Ana
Foi-me emprestado por uma colega e eu demorei imenso tempo a começar e ainda mais a terminar. Gosto do tema, sempre achei a civilização egípcia fascinante, mas o livro perde-se muito em pormenores acessórios que não me interessam e tornou-se demasiado longo.
Alix
A four novel series, I read them from my local library as they came out or were translated. These are wonderful books, well written, historically accurate and immensely entertaining and enthralling. I have been looking for his Ramses series, but no luck. Don't miss these books. If you are a fan of ancient Egypt, fascinated by the pyramids or just want a really really good read, these are the books for you.
J. Else
Jun 26, 2012 J. Else rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ancient-egypt
A solid step up from his other book series I read. His characters are more deeply motivated. The landscape feels very authentic (as did his other, but I feel more historically indulged in this book). I just wanted to sit and read this book all day and night!

Surprisingly, one of the main characters is really hard to get behind, Paneb, but you see development here and there with him. Jacq has the talent to somehow get you interested in him though. He is quick to anger, he does not show appreciate
Carla
Feb 05, 2011 Carla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carla by: Patrícia
Shelves: not-own, portuguese, 2011
Conheço este autor desde que conheço a Slayra, o que já vai para algum tempo (O.o), pois é um dos seus autores preferidos e escreve sobre um dos seus períodos históricos de eleição. Eu tenho de dizer que o Antigo Egipto nunca foi bem o meu género. Ok, reconheço-lhes o génio construtivo, a religião também é das coisas mais fascinantes (mas eu adoro esse tema) que têm, também acho interessante toda aquela superstição no que toca ao Tutankhamon e outros túmulos do Vale dos Reis e das Rainhas, mas n ...more
Jenny
Dec 18, 2014 Jenny rated it liked it
Carolin
Oct 09, 2011 Carolin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ein historischer Mystery-Roman: Die Geschichte des Schweigsamen und des Feurigen, zweier Charaktere, die unterschiedlicher nicht sein könnten, die aber auch durch eine Fügung des Schicksals eine tiefe Feundschaft verbindet, wird in diesem Buch erzählt. Sie leben im alten Ägypten zu den Zeiten Ramses', doch nicht das ganze Land ist den beiden und der Heimat ihrer Herzen, der Stätte der Wahrheit, freundlich gesinnt. Ein Netz von Intrigen sorgt für die nötige Spannung!
Aber genau von ihr hätte ich m
Davide Floris
Era da tantissimo che non leggevo un romanzo di Christian Jacq, e devo dire che la lettura è stata piacevole. Il primo romanzo di una saga che ci illustra la vita di una speciale confraternita di artigiani dell'antico Egitto, che vivono in un villaggio che non ha contatti con l'esterno. Lettura piacevole e veloce. Il libro termina con un "non finale", quindi uno è costretto a leggere il volume successivo per capire come si svilupperà la vicenda. Chiamalo scemo...
Neetha Philip
Apr 11, 2009 Neetha Philip rated it really liked it
This is the first books of the last series that i read by Christian Jacq. While I drank in every detail that reflected ancient egyptian history in the other books by jacq, this book really made me think about more than just history. The story itself emphasises hard work,honesty and determination. Values that I have realised Jacq includes in most of his books. One cant help falling in love with Jacq's characters.
Hypatia
Nov 05, 2013 Hypatia rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
Read this ages ago in French, now finally re-reading it (and soon the rest of the series) in English. I honestly don't think it's a great translation - it seems like it's a lot of short simple sentences, which I don't remember finding in French. But maybe that says more about my French skills than the translation. Still interesting, despite the detestability of many of the characters. I'm hoping the rest of the series is better on that score.
Elaine Cougler
Aug 22, 2016 Elaine Cougler rated it really liked it
The Stone of Light by Christian Jacq is made up of 4 long volumes--Nefer The Silent, The Wise Woman, Paneb The Ardent, and The Place of Truth, each about 600 pages, so it is a lovely read. The characters are well developed and the story is captivating as we learn of the wonderful role of the Place of Truth and its member in creating the tombs of the pharoahs of Egypt. Good stuff.
C.M.T. Stibbe
Dec 21, 2013 C.M.T. Stibbe rated it liked it
I was hoping this book would be a little more substantial. I enjoyed it but I can't say it left that residue of 'WOW' that so many other books do. Jacq is a great writer, popular with both European and American audiences which is why I picked it up. I haven't tried his other books yet but hope to after my list of 'want to read' books decreases.
Rita Viegas
Apr 05, 2012 Rita Viegas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, portuguese
Adorei! Este livro fez-me começar a ter um fascínio pela cultura egipcia que eu nunca pensei poder ter! A única razão pela qual não atribui um 5 ao livro foi devido à escrita. Suspeito que a escrita simplista se deve à tradução porque pelos conteúdos parece-me impossível um escritor que cria um mundo e personagens tão genuinas e elaboradas ter uma escrita tão "simplista".
Shuré-Nachelle
Jun 28, 2014 Shuré-Nachelle rated it really liked it
Like the "Ramses: The Son of Light" saga, it takes place in the ancient Egypt era. The first book in this trilogy correlates with the last book of the "Ramses" saga. Even though it was a bit "dumbed down" for myself, the main characters were more emotionally complex and more in depth. Onto the second book of the trilogy!
Clare Farrelly
Dec 04, 2016 Clare Farrelly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not actually read this book but my mum did and she skimmed the second half before getting rid of the series. She decided that it is not worth reading. Reasons being that the characters are not believable, it had a very week story line, and unnecessary sex. Also the historical side was not interesting, and it could have been accurate but she does not know if it is or not.
Rendier
Dec 14, 2013 Rendier rated it did not like it
Couldn't finish it - abandoned it halfway through. The story and characters feels like it was dreamt up by a 6 year old, and it never felt like a serious attempt by a serious author. I'm supposed to swallow this crap!?
Sandra Azevedo
Nov 04, 2010 Sandra Azevedo rated it it was amazing
Adorei!! Excelente investigação ... forma de escrita... realmente o autor escreve de uma forma que fica na memória! :)
Carobe
May 10, 2014 Carobe rated it really liked it
Konungarnas dal.
Maggie
really enjoyed this series about the artisans who created the tombs of the pharaohs
Jasmine
Feb 01, 2011 Jasmine rated it liked it
It was okay, not as good as the Ramses series. Not sure I will read the rest!
Christine Van Heertum
aucune surprise dans ce 1er numéros de 4 tomes. J'ai l'impression que cette histoire reprend +/- les mêmes personnages "typés" que dans les autres séries.
Se lit cependant très facilement.
Cheryl
Oct 10, 2012 Cheryl rated it liked it
Need to re-read before I can comment further
dara
Feb 07, 2010 dara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always love something about Egypt
Karinirmgard
Die weise Frau
Paneb der Feurige
Die Stätte der Wahrheit
Mariana
Sep 21, 2014 Mariana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book. Well described and one person could really feel Egipt.
Mona
Jul 06, 2013 Mona rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
كنتي ممكن تاخدي أربع أو خمس نجوم
بس علشان نهايتك دي هما ثلاثة بس :@
please add book cover from amazon and change language 1 1 May 24, 2015 12:28PM
  • The Twelfth Transforming
  • A Curse of Silence (Lieutenant Bak, #4)
  • Cleopatra's Heir
  • Servant of the Gods (Servant of the Gods, #1)
  • The Season of the Hyaena (Egyptian Mysteries, #2)
  • Throne of Isis
  • Tutankhamun (Rai Rahotep, #2)
  • Pharaoh (Kleopatra, #2)
  • Reflections in the Nile (Time Travel, #1)
  • A History of Ancient Egypt

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Christian Jacq is a French author and Egyptologist. He has written several novels about ancient Egypt, notably a five book suite about pharaoh Ramses II, a character whom Jacq admires greatly.

Jacq's interest in Egyptology began when he was thirteen, and read History of Ancient Egyptian Civilization by Jacques Pirenne. This inspired him to write his first novel. He first visited Egypt when he was s
More about Christian Jacq...

La pierre de lumière (4 books)
  • The Wise Woman (Stone of Light, #2)
  • Paneb the Ardent (Stone of Light, #3)
  • The Place of Truth (Stone of Light, #4)

“كل يوم يحاول الظلام التهام النور. ولكن لأن النور يحارب بشجاعه, فهو ينجح دائماً في إبعاده. حينما نتأمل شروق الشمس من ناحية الجبل الشرقي, نلاحظ أزهار الاكاسيا الخضراء تؤكد انتصار النور المبعوث. هذه الشجره تعطي نفسها للجميع. ولكي نلحظ جمالها يكفي ان نعرف كيف نتأملها. إن تلك الافكارهي التي كانت تقودني عندما كنت اتعرض لتجارب قاسيه. صحيح أن جمال الحياه لا يعتمد علينا, ولكنه ايضاً موجود في قدرتنا علي الإمساك به.” 0 likes