Start by marking “Save Twilight: Selected Poems” as Want to Read:
Save Twilight: Selected Poems

Save Twilight: Selected Poems

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  267 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
The power of Eros, the enduring beauty of art, a love-hate nostalgia for his Argentine homeland, the bonds of friendship and the tragic folly of politics are some of the themes of Save Twilight. Informed by his immersion in world literature, music, art, and history, and most of his own emotional geography, Cortázar’s poetry traces his paradoxical evolution from provincial ...more
Published January 1st 2001 by City Lights (first published October 12th 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Save Twilight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Save Twilight

Shakespeare's Sonnets by William ShakespeareComplete Poems by Edgar Allan PoeThe Road Not Taken and Other Poems by Robert FrostComplete Poems of Emily Dickinson by Emily DickinsonLeaves of Grass by Walt Whitman
Goodreads Top 100 Poems of All Time
122nd out of 207 books — 202 voters
Pictures of the Gone World by Lawrence FerlinghettiHowl and Other Poems by Allen GinsbergReality Sandwiches by Allen GinsbergThirty Spanish Poems of Love and Exile by Raphael AlbertiPoems of Humor and Protest by Kenneth Patchen
The Pocket Poets Series
53rd out of 60 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

PGR Nair
Oct 19, 2011 PGR Nair rated it it was amazing
When Julio Cortázar died of cancer in February 1984 at the age of sixty-nine, the Madrid newspaper El Pais hailed him as one of Latin America’s greatest writers and over two days carried eleven full pages of tributes, reminiscences, and farewells. Such is the reputation he enjoyed as a giant of Latin American Literature .

I am a fetish of anything Cortazar has written and therefore have over the years accumulated virtually everything he has written and eagerly wait for untranslated works too. Co
Jimmy
Apr 15, 2011 Jimmy rated it really liked it
Cortázar isn't known for his poetry, but his poetry is pretty good. This is a very charming, soft book. It has the childlike playful quality of his prose, and the rhythms of a dream, and can sometimes be endearingly simple without being simplistic.

Every day we're more, we who believe less
in so many things that made our lives more full,
Plato's or Goethe's highest, most indisputable values,
the word, its dove above history's ark,
the work's survival, the family line and our inheritance.

The translat
Xavier
Hay poemas inolvidables en este libro de Cortázar, no hay más que leer la sección de Ars Amandi para darse cuenta de ello, estos no son poemas que son buenos en un momento y luego se olvidan, al contrario son poemas que persisten a los avatares de la memoria y que con el tiempo se recitan mentalmente sin haber querido recordarlos, -se vuelven parte de uno-. Lamentablemente esto sucede solo con unos cuantos poemas, mientras que los demás se quedan viviendo para siempre dentro de las páginas de es ...more
jeremy
Oct 02, 2009 jeremy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, translation
a slim, bilingual collection of cortázar's poetry. published as part of the city lights books pocket poets series, the poems in save twilight were culled by renowned translator stephen kessler from cortázar's posthumously published collected poems of the same name, salvo el crepúsculo. as kessler makes evident in the preface, the selection of poems chosen for this book aim to "represent the range of cortázar's poetic accomplishment, from traditional verse to open forms, romantic lyrics to angry ...more
Morgane
Aug 28, 2015 Morgane rated it it was amazing
(August 2015)

Still love this book.

(July 2013)

It's (un)surprisingly hard to find a poet who is self-aware, direct, earnest, and still able to take a step back from his work and laugh at it. Cortázar says exactly what he means to say, without trying to necessarily make it "poetic". The result is honest, simple poetry that's far too rare.

Two excerpts:

"Get on with this poem, it's so prosaic
some people might even understand and the rest, fat chance"

"But I don't miss you!
It's just that little thin
metaphor
Apr 06, 2015 metaphor rated it it was amazing
I feel myself dying in you, over taken by expanding
spaces, which feed on me just like hungry
butterflies.
Lausº
Dec 30, 2014 Lausº rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Salvo el crepúsculo, tenía ya mucho tiempo en mi lista de “libros por leer”.....recuerdo que lo incluí a la lista, por algo que leí de Cortázar y que me gustó tanto, que investigué en cuál de sus obras venía. Lo curioso es que, a causa del tiempo que tardé en encontrar el libro, cuando me rendí y lo compré en digital... ya no pude recordar cuál fue la frase que me atrajo esa primera vez.

Este libro es un cuaderno de juegos de Cortázar, tiene de todo; prosa, poesía, citas de otros autores y hasta
dirt
Oct 28, 2007 dirt rated it it was amazing
this book holds a great memory for me. i happened upon this book while polly mae and i were rooting through city lights bookshop. i read the selection "una carta de amor/a love letter" to pmae as she relished the words.

una carta de amor

todo lo que de vos quisiera
es tan poco en el fondo

porque en el fondo es todo

como un perro que pasa, una colina,
esas cosas de nada, coidianas,
espiga y cabellera y dos terrones,
el olor de tu cuerpo,
conmigo o contra mía,

todo eso que es tan poco
yo lo quiero de vos po
Marie
Mar 23, 2014 Marie rated it really liked it
I wanted to give this 5 stars but I couldn't.

I think that I really loved it but some poems weren't as good as others.

It's still interesting, his fusion of avant garde with diverse languages and ways to conceive poetry, and that even in France his poetry becomes so familiar and at the same time, searching for that Rimbaud-like form.

Then again, rating poetry is almost impossible, given that in Cortázar's case there's some style interruptions.
Carlitos Caprioli
Aug 20, 2011 Carlitos Caprioli rated it it was amazing
Beautiful City Lights edition. Translation is ok. Title is perfect example: Save Twilight is too ambiguous, maybe should be 'cept twilight? There are more instances like that, but overall is good. But what's important here is the original, which is fkn beautiful stuff. They're poems he wrote in bars, airports, etc, most deal with his lover who passed. Some became tango lyrics. Makes fun of himself for suffering so much. They all flow like songs.
Walter
Apr 16, 2009 Walter rated it it was amazing
He’s mostly known for his novels, but his poetry is magic.

BLUE FUNK

You see the Southern Cross,
You breathe the summer with its smell of peaches,
And you walk at night
My silent little ghost
Through that Buenos Aires

Always through that same Buenos Aires.
Jul 30, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Poetry has wronged me so many times in the past. But I love Cortázar's approach to poetry and prose as something not necessarily meant to be "poetic" in that crappy, lofty metaphor filled jargon mannerism - but to be honest, simple, and human.
Teresa
Mar 02, 2008 Teresa rated it really liked it
Cortazar does what we forget to do as poets sometimes. He drives a poem up hill and then drops it off the side. I read this three times on the plane from San Fransico to Minneapolis and I still cannot recreate his power.

I will keep reading.
h
Apr 28, 2011 h rated it really liked it
cortazar is famous for his fiction, but his poetry is beautiful. surreal without being unmoored. he walks the careful tightrope between internal worlds and the external world with great care.
Alison
Oct 14, 2012 Alison added it
Shelves: poetry
Disappointing needy, clingy poetry. The disappointing part is kind of a surprise -- he does needy/clingy brilliantly in his stories and his prose style is superb.
Juan M
Brillante libro de poemas, meopas, pameos, sonetos, prosas, prosemas y otras letras... algunos más geniales que otros, pero brillantes en su conjunto.
Mariano Camberos
Sin palabras, una pequeña joya literaria-difícil de encontrar-que nos presenta esa cara poética de Cortázar. Recomiendo la edición de Alfaguara.
Jeffrey
May 12, 2007 Jeffrey rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Cortazar's prose is stronger than his verse, but it's still interesting to see this side of his creativity.
Meter
Dec 03, 2011 Meter added it
!!!

What would we do w/o South American writers?
Luz Ciccone
Jun 05, 2013 Luz Ciccone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poesía, argentinos
Una joya del lirismo hispano
Sofia Patiño
Sofia Patiño marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Denisia Susanu
Denisia Susanu marked it as to-read
Veronica
Veronica rated it really liked it
Manderson
Manderson marked it as to-read
Katharine
Katharine marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
nap385
nap385 marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
  • The Romantic Dogs
  • What There Is Before There Is Anything There: A Scary Story
  • Begin Again: Collected Poems
  • Poems from Guantanamo: The Detainees Speak
  • Cuentos breves y extraordinarios
  • Dark Times Filled with Light
  • La extracción de la piedra de la locura y otros poemas
  • Espantapájaros
  • Los que aman, odian
  • Bottle Rocket Hearts
  • A Whaler's Dictionary
  • Miracle Fruit
  • Altazor, Or, a Voyage in a Parachute: Poem in VII Cantos (1919)
Julio Cortázar, born Julio Florencio Cortázar Descotte, was an Argentine author of novels and short stories. He influenced an entire generation of Latin American writers from Mexico to Argentina, and most of his best-known work was written in France, where he established himself in 1951.
More about Julio Cortázar...

“Creo que no te quiero, que solamente quiero la imposibilidad tan obvia de quererte. Como el guante izquierdo enamorado de la mano derecha.” 167 likes
“Soy lo que sueño y que sueño lo que soy. despierto sólo me conozco a medias.” 0 likes