Start by marking “The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)

The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events #3)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  100,315 Ratings  ·  2,353 Reviews
Dear Reader,

If you have not read anything about the Baudelaire orphans, then before you read even one more sentence, you should know this: Violet, Klaus, and Sunny are kindhearted and quick-witted, but their lives, I am sorry to say, are filled with bad luck and misery. All of the stories about these three children are unhappy and wretched, and this one may be the worst of
Library Binding, 224 pages
Published February 29th 2000 by HarperCollins (first published February 2nd 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Wide Window, please sign up.

Jason Koivu
Oct 04, 2014 Jason Koivu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Those super unfortunate orphans get stuck with another ineffectual guardian, who can't keep them safe from the dastardly Count Olaf. Looks like they'll have to find their own way out of this tight bind all by themselves, again!

Amateur Character Actor and Plotter of Evil Deeds............

Count Olaf

description

The The Wide Window has some colorful characters, wonderful settings and enough action to keep this one entertaining through out. The overly apt naming of people and places gives this a very old-school
Vesra (When She Reads)
SuperHeroQwimm
This felt really anti-climactic. Also, in the first and second book when Sunny's random sounds were "translated" I found it charming, but now I find it irritating. I don't know if it happened more often in this book or if it just grew out of it's charm, but man it annoys me.
Darth Andrew
This one was a let down, seeing as I enjoyed the first two so much more.
Matthew Hunter
The Wide Window's the strongest installment of A Series of Unfortunate Events thus far. There's humor:
There are two kinds of fears: rational and irrational--or, in simpler terms, fears that make sense and fears that don't. For instance, the Baudelaire orphans have a fear of Count Olaf, which makes perfect sense, because he is an evil man who wants to destroy them. But if they were afraid of lemon meringue pie, this would be an irrational fear, because lemon meringue pie is delicious and has neve
Tfitoby
Nov 05, 2012 Tfitoby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
The third in the series of books that are so far identical in plot if not content.

The Baudelaire children but escape the clutches of Count Olaf via a house on a hill, an unpleasant fast food chain, a lake filled with rabid leeches and an evil pirate only this time there's nobody as pleasant and interesting as Uncle Monty as an additional character and instead the rather dull Aunt Josephine who is scared of everything.

I liked this the least of the three so far, which certainly accounts for the ge
Jennifer Morrill
Feb 11, 2009 Jennifer Morrill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Does it count as reading when you listen to the audio version?

Tim Curry isn't reading this version. Instead we get the author "Lemony Snicket", aka Daniel Handler. He's quite nasaly and not as cool to listen to than Tim Curry.

The story is still good and intriguing. So far we like the series and my girls beg for it to be on in the car. We are on the Miserable Mill now, and still stuck with Lemony Snicket's voice (at least in the movie we got Jude Law!) I looked it up and we are back to Tim Curry
Rinda Elwakil
أحسن قصص السلسلة حتي الآن

قصص الأطفال جميلة يا جماعة، جدا :)
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
I am thoroughly enjoying the series. These are seriously the funniest books I have ever read in my life -- the tone is just so hilarious, even though, ironically, the story is very dark. Count Olaf scares the crap out of me. So do the carnivorous leeches. *shudder* But anyway, awesome books!! Unfortunately I only own the first three (or my little sister does, actually -- i stole them. tee hee.) Now I'll have to swallow my pride and go check the rest of them out of the library. Ah well. IT'S WORT ...more
Alexis Drake
Oct 29, 2015 Alexis Drake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,75/5
Gli orfani Baudelaire, dopo aver perso la loro casa e i loro genitori in un incendio e aver perso anche lo zio Monty tragicamente, sono ora sulle sponde del Lago Lacrimoso per vivere insieme alla zia Josephine.
Zia Josephine ha perso da poco suo marito Ike, e ha paura di tutto. Non accende il riscaldamento per paura che scoppi il termosifone, non accende i fornelli e fa mangiare loro solo cibi freddi, non usa nemmeno il telefono per paura di prendere la scossa.
Ha il terrore persino degli ag
T4ncr3d1
In leggera ripresa dopo un secondo episodio esile e stiracchiato. Il canovaccio narrativo è sempre lo stesso, se non altro la vicenda di zia Josephine, della sua strampalata casetta e del Lago Lacrimoso mi ha divertito. O forse è solo per il ricordo della performance di Meryl Streep nel film.
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥
At A Glance

Genre:
Young Adult
Love Triangle/Insta Love/Obsesion?: nope.
Cliff Hanger: yes

In Dept

Best Part:
Gave me a few laughs
Worst Part: eh.
Thoughts Had: sheesh.; WOW; that olaf!!

Conclusion

Continuing the Series:
Recommending: yes

Short Review: I love this series. and the audio book is the way to go. I really like this one, the Aunt they go live with kills me
Steven
May 18, 2013 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
I, like dear Aunt Josephine, am usually a grammar nazi. Luckily for me, I don't live in fear of practically everything and I live nowhere near a sad lake full of flesh-eating leeches. :)
Carla Stafford
Dec 08, 2015 Carla Stafford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Lemony Snicket series: Tale of Unfortunate Events are often touted for their vocabulary, as well as for their historical and literary allusions. Beyond that, they have that magical quality that children's books so often possess of simultaneously conveying amusement , excitement, cleverness, hopefulness, and desperate sadness. The third installment, The Wide Window, is my least favorite of the three I have read thus far. Even though the Baudelaire orphans are growing increasingly more resourc ...more
Marnie
Dec 20, 2015 Marnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
One of the best decisions I've ever made was getting these audio books!
Ian
Feb 23, 2014 Ian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

I despise this book. I despise them all. Reading them made me so mad and depressed, and reading reviews of them just amplifies those feelings. People adore these books. They list them among their favorite books of all time. Kids and adults alike love them and say they're great. So I don't quite know what they're missing. I feel it's my duty and responsibility to reveal these books for what they are. But I'll probably undergo a serious case of angst and start questioning myself and my motives nea

Amanda
Jan 26, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know this is a children's series, but I am LOVING it! This is the third book in which Daniel Handler writes under the pen name of Lemony Snicket in A Series of Unfortunate Events. The story is sad, as 3 orphans continue to find misfortune as they try to find a happy home after their parents died in a fire. Throughout the series, they are fleeing from Count Olaf, who is seeking their fortune.

I love Snicket(Handler)'s writing style. Who writes this on the back cover?

Dear Reader,

If you have not
Julesmarie
Again, fantastically fun and delightfully sarcastic. There are a few things in here that I'm certain my students won't understand, but I laughed at this one enough that it's going in my classroom library anyway--even if only for me to open every once in a while and chuckle.

Favorite Quotes:
Kristin
Jan 25, 2015 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
Definitely an improvement from the last book! I really enjoyed this story, even though there are similarities from the second. However, this one was written better and the pacing was better! Plus the things the children had to do was way more exciting! I also really enjoyed aunt Josephine and her irrational fears! She would probably despise this review because of many grammatical errors, but PISH POSH! :)

4/5 stars!
Amber
Nov 22, 2015 Amber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood
Mr Poe is seriously so annoying. I'm starting to become bothered by the defining of Sunny speak.
Jenni
Jan 16, 2016 Jenni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know it's in the series title but all of these misfortunes the kids go through are starting to bum me out.
Luli Maggi
Oct 02, 2015 Luli Maggi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: en-inglés
Cada vez me gusta más esta historia! Creo que por Mr. Poe siento algo parecido y que tiene raíz en lo que me produce Dolores Umbridge...
Nikinnia Smith garcia
Violet, Klaus, and Sunny have gone to live with another distant relative, Aunt Josephine. Aunt Josephine is scared of everything. She doesn't answer the phone because she's scared of electricity, and she won't cook anything hot because she scared of the oven. She's very weird, but sweet to the kids. One day when taking the kids into town she meets Captain Sham, who of course is Count Olaf. Shortly after meeting Captain Sham, Aunt Josephine "kills herself" and leaves them in the custody of Captai ...more
Kristin
"The moral of World War One is 'Never assassinate Archduke Ferdinand.'"

Poor Baudelaire children; they're always right and no one believes them. Mr. Poe is worthless.

Hilarious narration btw.
Drew Simoneau
Nov 08, 2015 Drew Simoneau rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I am liking this series! It's really good. First time reading this sereis!(:
Jbb Lim
Feb 07, 2015 Jbb Lim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great follow up with the series. This round, the setting is slightly different, though it is still repetitive from the previous 2 books in the series. I very much prefer the story in this with Aunt Josephine instead of the one with Uncle Monty.

Mind you, I like Uncle Monty very much, it's just the story that was being conveyed in The Reptile Room wasn't to my liking. This was more adventurous than the the previous 2.

And, the author makes me want to read up stuff on Alexander the Great in
Kimberley doruyter
i don't think i could live on a cold diet.
Erika B. (Snogging on Sunday Books)
So far Aunt Josephine is my favorite! :D
deilann
Oct 29, 2015 deilann rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted on SpecFic Junkie.

So, I was trying to spread these out a bit, but apparently I'm in too much pain to do much but read middle grade books. So I don't have another review for you yet. (Hopefully soon, though.)

There aren't a lot of things that will, on its own, take a book down to one star. Usually, it's a combination of things. Well, I'd been putting up with a lot from Lemony Snicket, which has been discussed in previous reviews. But this one really, really pissed me off.

Okay, so
  • Lucinda's Secret (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #3)
  • Molly Moon's Hypnotic Time Travel Adventure (Molly Moon, #3)
  • If You're Reading This, It's Too Late (Secret, #2)
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • May Bird Among the Stars (May Bird, #2)
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • The Wright 3 (Chasing Vermeer, #2)
  • The Stowaway Solution (On The Run, #4)
  • The Doll People (Doll People, #1)
  • Stormchaser (The Edge Chronicles, #2)
  • Charlie Bone and the Invisible Boy (The Children of the Red King, #3)
  • How to Speak Dragonese (How to Train Your Dragon, #3)
  • Awake and Dreaming
  • Civil War on Sunday (Magic Tree House, #21)
  • Time Stops for No Mouse (The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures, #1)
  • Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants (Captain Underpants, #4)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Psycho Kitty Queen (Sammy Keyes, #9)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket...

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)

“If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats.” 4017 likes
“For some stories, it's easy. The moral of 'The Three Bears,' for instance, is "Never break into someone else's house.' The moral of 'Snow White' is 'Never eat apples.' The moral of World War I is 'Never assassinate Archduke Ferdinand.” 855 likes