Start by marking “La autopista del sur y otros cuentos” as Want to Read:
La autopista del sur y otros cuentos

La autopista del sur y otros cuentos

4.42  ·  Rating Details ·  2,368 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
A young girl spends her summer vacation in a country house where a tiger roams...A man reading a mystery finds out too late that he is the murderer's victim...In the stories collected here—including Blow-Up, on which Antonioni based his film—Julio Cortazar explores the boundary where the everyday meets the mysterious, perhaps even the terrible. This is the most brilliant a ...more
Published August 1st 1996 by Penguin Books (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about La autopista del sur y otros cuentos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La autopista del sur y otros cuentos

Lizzy
Julio Cortázar is another marvelous example of Latin American great story-tellers. It's hard to define his writing, enough perhaps to tell he is a natural and many times leaves me with no concrete words to comment. He is a master in uniting the mundane with the fantastical and the incredible. La autopista del sur y otros cuentos includes brilliant short stories, such as Blow-Up and La Autopista . An all-time-favorite. If you like fantastical prose and appreciate short stories, read it and enj ...more
Jaimie Foster
Nov 12, 2007 Jaimie Foster rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ashley
You can't really go wrong with Cortazar. You really can't.
Anamaria
Feb 27, 2017 Anamaria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Como Bogotana, me sentí muy identificada con este cuento...
Camila
Sep 30, 2013 Camila rated it it was amazing
Me encantó la forma de escribir de Julio Cortázar, yo nunca había leído nada de el pero definitivamente voy a leerlo más. Su forma de contar algo tan sencillo como un embotellamiento te atrapa desde el principio.

Esta narrado a grandes rasgos, con cambios bruscos que te causan sorpresa como ¿en que momento se enamoraron?, así pasa el tiempo, sin que te des cuenta y sin mucho detalle, dejando al lector imaginar como se le antoje la forma en que van pasando los hechos.

El cuento deja un sentimiento
Beka Sukhitashvili
როგორც მოთხრობების პირველი კრებულის წაკითხვის დროს, ამ წიგნშიც ზოგი მოთხრობა ძალიან მომეწონა და ზოგი ბოლომდე ვერც კი წავიკითხე, არ დამაინტერესა.
"კლასობანაა" ერთადერთი ლათინოამერიკული წიგნი, რომელიც მომეწონა და მიყვარს.
Rachel
Jul 15, 2010 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Borges, obviously
Shelves: fiction, favorites
Another one of those writers you probably either love or hate. I wouldn't claim to "get" all his stories, but the not-getting is the fun part.
Cris
Sep 23, 2013 Cris rated it really liked it
Cortazar is probably the most subtle Spanish-language writer, I've ever read. Akin to James' The Beast in the Jungle, are these narratives in this collection of stories. Wonderful, poetic language reminds me of Cuentos de Barro, but without being pretentious.
Hacia tiempo que no leía alguien tan sutil como Cortazar. Valio la pena y me recordó la nostalgia de Cuentos de Barro y los cuentos de el autor Ingles, Henry James.
Daniel
Nov 11, 2008 Daniel rated it it was ok
Or, as "read" as I think it will ever be.

So far my favorite stories are "Final del juego" and "Los venenos." The first is about three girls that pose as statues for passing trains and the second tackles ant fumigation and young love.

As of September 2009 I have given up on finishing this. I got tired of Cortazar's games. He can tell a good story when he isn't too concerned with his tricks. I'm sure I'll reread "Final del juego" and "Los venenos" some time.
Paola
Jul 15, 2008 Paola rated it it was amazing
Cortazar is one of my favorite authors. The title story La autopista del sur is an amazing piece of fiction. But everything he writes is interesting and thought provoking. I read almost all of Cortazar in a Spanish seminar with one of the best professors I've ever had. It is the kind of literature that requires a group so you can tease out all the hidden meanings.
Bogdan
Jan 11, 2013 Bogdan rated it really liked it
Shelves: mundus-novus
Interesting stories, most with a odd twist somewhere. I would have liked them even more if I could understand a clear message for each and every one of them. After some, I was surprised myself to say "Ok, interesting, but what about it? Why did Julio wrote this?"
Cristina
Feb 18, 2008 Cristina rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cristina by: Lucrecia Artalejo
I read one of the stories, but want to read more, I love "La Autopista del Sur," and loved loved loved it.. I wanted to be there, I wanted to get stuck somewhere and start and new life, and just like that have it end and go back to the old one. Weird I know!
Paulina
Jul 31, 2007 Paulina rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: yes
considero "La autopista del sur" uno de los mejores cuentos cortos de Cortazar, junto con "Casa tomada" y "Final del juego". Es uno de mis autores preferidos por su narrativa y por evocar tan vivas imagenes y sentimientos para aquellos que han vivido en el exilio.
Gillian
May 23, 2014 Gillian rated it it was amazing
Una colección excelente que muestra la amplitud de la carrera de Cortázar, con cuentos recopilados de cada etapa de la larga trayectoria del autor.

Y, aunque no hace falta decirlo, Cortázar es una chimba.
Emma B
Sep 25, 2011 Emma B marked it as to-read
Currently reading: "La noche boca arriba" ("The Night Face Up")

I've read this story in English, and thought it was fantastic. I found the Spanish version being handed to me yesterday. This is much harder. I have to stop every third sentence and ask what something means.
Francisco Zuniga
Feb 19, 2008 Francisco Zuniga rated it it was amazing

Cortazar es el genio de los cuentos cortos.
Rodrigo
Os contos mais estranhos são os mais interessantes. Os demais são simples de uma forma que não gostei. "Manuscrito Encontrado num Bolso" é o melhor.
Pablo Paz
Jun 20, 2011 Pablo Paz rated it it was amazing
Y había leido casí todos los cuentos en otras ediciones.. buenisimo el de la autopista del sur... y el de la noche boca arriba es de sus mejores cuentos.
Cirene
Mar 29, 2013 Cirene is currently reading it
Historias de cronopios y de famas es genial. Pesadillas es muy fuerte y Continuidad de los parques, uno de mis preferidos.
Elena
Sep 19, 2011 Elena rated it it was amazing
Read the English version "Blow Up and Other Stories" if only for the Charlie Parker love song, "The Pursuer." An author to envy.
Daniela
Daniela rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2015
Jorge Solís
Jorge Solís rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2014
Anabel
Anabel rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Alberto
Alberto rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2014
Zaida Machuca Inostroza
Dec 14, 2011 Zaida Machuca Inostroza rated it it was amazing
Leí este libro cuando estaba en el liceo. Me costó entenderlo, pero me gustó.
Angel Balme
Angel Balme rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2015
Diegojn
Diegojn rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2014
Johnh
Johnh rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2013
CT
CT rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Karin Kovach
Karin Kovach rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2014
Cuauhtemoc
Cuauhtemoc rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2013
  • Pedro Páramo / El Llano en llamas
  • Julio Cortázar: Rayuela (Critical Guides to Spanish Texts)
  • La noche de Tlatelolco
  • Boquitas pintadas
  • Los recuerdos del porvenir
  • El juguete rabioso
  • Cuentos de amor, de locura y de muerte
  • Antología de la literatura fantástica
  • Doña Bárbara
  • The Complete Poetry
  • Campos de Castilla
  • Llamadas telefónicas
  • Respiración artificial
Julio Cortázar, born Julio Florencio Cortázar Descotte, was an Argentine author of novels and short stories. He influenced an entire generation of Latin American writers from Mexico to Argentina, and most of his best-known work was written in France, where he established himself in 1951.
More about Julio Cortázar...

“Y en la antena de la radio flotaba locamente la bandera con la cruz roja, y se corría a ochenta kilómetros por hora hacia las luces que crecían poco a poco, sin que ya se supiera bien por qué tanto apuro, por qué esa carrera en la noche entre autos desconocidos donde nadie sabía nada de los otros, donde todo el mundo miraba fijamente hacia adelante, exclusivamente hacia adelante.” 1 likes
“Това беше диалог, диалог. Да се грижи за него, да го подхранва.” 0 likes